Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Events and Rallies > Bike Show, Atlanta, Jan. 28-30, 2011  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/19/2010 12:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Anybody else going?  I plan to be there Sunday 1/30.

Great American Motorcycle Show
North Atlanta Trade Center
January 28-30, 2011

Going strong since 1992! Over 100,000 s.f. full of new foreign and domestic motorcycles. Get one of a kind custom rides, sport bikes, cruisers, trailers, scooters, parts, apparel, and anything you need to ride, all at discount show prices!

Enter your bike in the Steve Murrin the “Original” Biker Lawyer Bike Competition and win cash!
Park in the secure bike corral and check your coat at the March of Dimes Coat Check.
Join us for the Friday After Party with Bon Jovi tribute band Slippery When Wet
See the Snake Master Live Snake Show

Show Hours: Friday 3-8, Saturday 9-8, Sunday 10-5

Admission Prices:
Adults 15+: $12
Kids 6-14: $7
Kids 5 & under: free
Weekend Pass: 2 day $20, 3 day $25. Come all weekend!

For more information, visit GreatAmericanMotorcycleShow.com

North Atlanta Trade Center
1700 Jeurgens Court
Norcross, GA 30093

RestoRide
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 756

Posted 1/28/2011 2:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ER, customer wants me to stay in country through the weekend. I'll be missing the show. Hope it's as good as previous years.

RR

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 1/28/2011 7:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RestoRide said...
ER, customer wants me to stay in country through the weekend. I'll be missing the show. Hope it's as good as previous years.

RR
Bummer.  I still plan on going Sunday.
Maybe we can hook up later sometime.
I'm looking to buy a house in Lake City, Fla. and have other ties in Atlanta.

RestoRide
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006

Posted 1/30/2011 7:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ER,

Heard the weather was incredible over the weekend. The parking lot must have been full of bikes! So, how was the show?

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 2/1/2011 9:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RestoRide said...
Heard the weather was incredible over the weekend. The parking lot must have been full of bikes! So, how was the show?
Yep it was nice.
THEN I hit the road for Illinois and Monday drove in about 3 hours of freezing rain. cry

The bike show should be called "Harleyfest".  I guess the name of the show didn't really sink in.

Saw LOTS of Harleys, lots of leather and a few skanks.......none of which I really have any need for.
Well, at least the Harleys and leather. rolleyes

There was a BMW dealer there too and some interesting trailers but overall definitely NOT worth the price of admission for me.

Harley IS making some bikes the last couple of years that I would actually consider riding..........if the price wasn't so high, that is.  Same for BMW.

Post Edited (Easy Rider 2) : 2/1/2011 7:34:36 PM GMT

RestoRide
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006

Posted 2/1/2011 10:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm... sounds a lot like what I remember from previous years: lots of Harleys, black leather, doo rags, geriatric 3-patch vest wearing "never heard of them" MC's, mostly a flea market of Harley "lifestyle" stuff, skinny show girls with aftermarket bolt-on's and of course the high-mileage biker girls. Kind of felt like I was at an extras convention for Pirates of the Caribbean! I always rode the V-Rod there to "fit in", but felt like a roach at a chicken dance, when I got there... I even suggested to my buds that we have vests made with "Sons of Geritol" patches, with a skeleton using a walker and a "Depends" diaper, for the next "Great American" show... but they had no interest. Whussies!

I know what you mean about the price of admission. I never felt it was worth it, and enjoyed the bikes in the parking lot a lot more than the contents of the building. But it did make for a nice mid-winter break.

Oh, well, guess it will have to do until the IMS sees the error of their ways and comes back to ATL.

The BMW dealer was probably Bob, of Atlanta BMW, just off the end of the runway at Dobbins AFB. They've been there every year I can remember. I heard they recently picked up Ducati in addition to BMW/Husqvarna. Was the Diavel there?

Anyway, sorry to hear about the slick drive up north. Looks like the weather up there is "fixin'" to get pretty brutal. Keep warm bud!

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 2/1/2011 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RestoRide said...
The BMW dealer was probably Bob, of Atlanta BMW, just off the end of the runway at Dobbins AFB. They've been there every year I can remember. I heard they recently picked up Ducati in addition to BMW/Husqvarna. Was the Diavel there?
Yep, Duc's there too but didn't pay attention to any particular models.

I felt a little out of place.  LOT of posing going on.

I get kind of the same kind of feeling when I'm around the posers with their pants down around their knees.

What the hell IS it with American culture that makes people want to emulate outlaws ????
I don't think that happens other places.......at least not near as much.

RestoRide
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006

Posted 2/2/2011 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ER,

It's not just Americans, take the tale of Robin Hood, for example. There is something attractive in bucking the establishment that resonates with people. Though I must admit that we go overboard here with romanticizing the likes of Bonnie and Clyde, etc.

It's as if physical appearance is the only way they can come up with to stand apart from the crowd and command fear and/or respect. I guess there is a little of that behind piercings, tattoos, biker costumes, goth garb, etc. Unfortunately, if enough people do it, it's just another crowd.

A few years back I ran into my CPA at the Great American show... yes, he was fully attired for the occassion. I offered to buy him an eye patch and a parrot... which he found mildly amusing. In real life he was about the meekest, milk and toast guy I knew... but once the doo rag, clip on earring and leather went on... look out! Now there was a *real* badass... NOT! I guess we never get over childhood games of pretending to be someone we are not. There's not a lot of places (DragonCon?) where you can wear a cape and be a super hero; so biker or gangsta it is, for some. Hey, I repress the urge to hum the theme from Power Rangers when I look in the mirror wearing full leathers and a dark full face helmet before a track day... just a kid at heart!

The true sociopaths are much stealthier, which makes them hard to pick out of a crowd.

Post Edited (RestoRide) : 2/2/2011 5:58:28 PM GMT

xpresshred
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/21/2011 11:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting task to be done by you .