Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > Memphis Shades & Buffeting - Any Help???  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 2/5/2006 8:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bought a Memphis Shades 20" Big Shot sportshield for my Suzuki Boulevard C90. Apart from it being a little tricky to install, I have another problem.

I took it out riding on a fast tour club ride today - about 220 miles at speeds mostly 75-90 MPH. It kept the wind off of my body admirably, but the buffeting of my head was so bad it blurred by sight field at anything over about 50 MPH. It even flipped up the face shield of my HJC CL-31 3/4 helmet 2 or 3 times. Man, it was rough! The strange thing is that I couldn't tell if the buffeting was coming from airflow from above or from below the shield.

I'm about 6'2" - about 280#. The shield, when installed, sits btween the bridge of my nose and by eye level.

IS there anything that can be done to control the buffeting, or do I have to scrap the sportshield (and its slimmer, more minimalist look) and go for the Memphis Fats 21" - and if I do go to the taller, wider Fats, is there any guarantee that the buffeting will stop?

I only want a shield that's quick release - that's why I went with Memphis Shades. And after the little ordeal I had getting it installed, I want to try every possible solution first before scrapping that and going to something else.

Suggestions, PLEASE!

--Trav

"Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."

O.W.H., JR.

Post Edited (TravelerKLK) : 2/6/2006 4:05:28 AM GMT

Harley Davidson
98 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide, 2004 Roadking

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 1838

Posted 2/12/2006 7:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is why I don't use a windshield on my bikes, much. Also, I hate looking through a windshield, but if you cut it low enough to look over it, you get the buffeting. However, there is more to it then that. Some of the buffeting is comming from underneath, to prove that, just place your hand and arm accross you chest, while riding, and you will probably notice a reduction in buffeting.

There is a company called Flapjacks or something like that which makes vests with wings or deflectors on the front which he says will eliminate the buffeting.

Adding lowers, or wind deflectors on the forks may help, also.

SilverDragon
yes, it's a dragon

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2571

Posted 2/13/2006 7:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

that buffeting is typically from wind that slips UNDER the sheild, past teh gas tank, ramps up your forward control extended legs (sportbikes don't get this effect) and then up your chest and past your head - where it meets the air stream coming over teh top of the sheild and creates turbulance (buffeting)

lowers are designed to reduce this effect

a properly installed sheild also goes some ways towards minimumizing the effects also

forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=18&m=145539&g=145944#m145944

forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=22&m=147168

forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=25&m=202468&g=202521#m202521

MillenniumRebel said...
with a windsheild, most buffeting is frequently from air coming in from BELOW the screen ramping over the tops of your legs and the tank and up your chest to buffet past your head when it meets the flow from over the top of the screen

Phil_RC_1 said...
I've experienced the same problem. If adjusting the angle doesn't do enough, try windshield "lowers". I use them on my wifes V Star and they really help.

I'm not a student of aerodynamics but I have read some about the buffeting problem and it seems the problem is actually the air that comes from underneath the sheild meeting up with the air that's coming over the sheild. Anything that you can do to seperate these two, so that the two meet behind your head instead of in front of it, will help the problem.

Phil

www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=5915

www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=4593

www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=5683

www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=4623&highlight=lowers

Post Edited (SilverDragon) : 2/13/2006 3:04:32 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
buffetingFLOW.gif
  13KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 8118 time(s).

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 2/15/2006 7:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've ordered the Memphis Shades lowers - I'll post and let everyone know if they helped as soon as I get them installed and my recall repairs are done.

--Trav

"Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."

O.W.H., JR.

TC_Victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 661

Posted 2/15/2006 8:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the lowers should take care of most of the problem if they are well designed. I will have to admit that the lowers for my Victory cost $220 for a piece of plastic and chrome mounting bracket and were mounted so far below the windshield that I think they made the buffeting from wind coming up even worse. Putting your arm in front of your chest will show you that the wind is coming from below. You can almost rest your arm on the volume of air pushing up from under the shield. Also it's not so much your forward controls forcing the air up as it the windshield pushing air around it and over your head and creating a vacuum behind it that is being filled by air from underneath.
I got desperate in cold fall weather riding down to a couple of rallies several hundres miles away that I blocked the gap between the lowers and the shield with black duct tape. Doesn't look as bad as it sounds and created a pocket of air behind the shield and lowers that makes the ride so much nicer. It works so well that I'm going to make some leather studded pieces to snap or velcro into that gap for colder weather and high speed freeway riding. Hope just the lowers do the job for you.

My other bike's a bassboat, Triton that is.

Spanky
My Eyes Are Burning

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 3850

Posted 3/8/2006 11:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the same problem, but I either tuck my head down a little lower or just deal with it. I do not understand why they can not make a helmet that you can lock the shield either up or down....

See what you get in cages???

Antonie
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/3/2011 1:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 </xml><xml> </xml> I bought a wind shield from cruiser customizer. The "chopped" from National Cycle.

When I researched on the internet on which screen to buy I found that they had the best product to fit my bike a Suzuki Boulevard C50. If you read the testimonies on there website : What Our Customers Say About SwitchBlade® Windshields You will find nothing else than positive reactions. There is even someone with same hight I am and it says the following:

"When you recently came out with your SwitchBlade Chopped™ windshield, my husband thought it would be worth a try. He was right!" Due to the fact that my husband is only 5' 5" tall, your largest windshield was not really an option for us. The new Chopped windshield is exactly level and even with the tip of his nose and he feels totally comfortable when riding. "I have also noticed a difference when we ride together. Even at ninety miles per hour, it is stable, and there is very little buffeting behind the windshield!" The gentleman who took our order over the phone was very nice and he did not lie when he said we would enjoy our purchase.

What a bulls**t! Sorry for the language but I'm totally disappointed about being falsely informed. This client could be genuine and be completely happy but I'm sure they must get a lot of reaction as from me by people totally disappointed.

I did not find on any of the windshield sites an explanation that buffeting could occur. In-fact I had never realised that this could occur. I just thought that I was going to get a screen taken the pressure of my chest and flying the bugs over my head. When I received the shield I went for a test drive and found that I could not read any signs and the line on the roads where triple! As soon as I came home I looked it up on the internet as I was wondering what was happening. And there the answer was......Buffeting!

I  have been reading about it all weekend. I was shaking my head as I was getting more info by the minute and my wife, who could see I was very disappointed with my $400 spend on what was supposed to be the ultimate under the screens from national cycle, said "you write them and ask them for help"

I have experimented with it and placed card board where I thought it would help. I took some photos and did several test drives. I did send these photos to info@nationalcycle.com and after telling them that I found there product very well put to gather and looks smashing I followed questioning them about the buffeting experience I have. Now I have been told (and you find from a lot of advice on the net that this will help to reduce the buffeting) by a sales person from national cycle I have to install "Lowers"

I have never found anything mentioned about this on there website. And to be honest they should make us as customers aware of this. If you look at pictures of cruiser bikes fitted with a shield they most of the time have lowers fitted. Another cost on top of your mounting brackets and shield of another $130 plus postage of $30 to Australia. I also found info about a "lip" from Laminar. This product will offcourse redirects the wind and if you push it higher than your screen fitted it will offcourse reduce the problem further. It will reduce your vision (but there is no mention of that!) This shield is another $85 + postage. There is a product you stick on your helmet $15 Plus postage. You can buy a new helmet or just wear a half helmet. Wear goggles instead of sun glasses. or buy a whole new higher screen (to high) and cut it down a bit yourself till you find the hight just right.

So to have a windscreen it will cost you dearly, about $700 all up. That's my conclusion. I wish I never bought one.

To continue my experience with national cycle personnel. I told them that I also found by experimenting that a piece of cardboard stuck over the lamp did help some as well. The sales man told me they did not have a part to fit that. I reacted to his email  and at the end I mentioned the following:

David I have only found out about the buffeting after I installed the screen. I do feel that as a consumer I should have been informed about this issue before I bought the wind screen. There is no information on the buy website about this problem. Of course they want to sell but in all fairness I should have known about a need to purchase lowers.
I found that just about everyone that has a tall screen fitted (cruisers) need these lowers.
I now have to get lowers send up separately which means extra cost for postage but also another 5 weeks before they will arrive at my doorstep.

also feel that there is obliviously a design problem with these screens.
I can't understand that I have to get a piece of plastic made up to fit behind the screen to reduce a problem by 50% while a company that has been in business for so long and must have wind tunnels haven't addressed this problem.

After this mail I did not hear back from him! Great isn't it? As soon as you are critical they don't respond any more, so much for good sales people as was stated under their "statement section on the website".

My point is this. We as customers should not just discus how we can resolve these kind of problems but make suppliers as "cruiser customizer" (who have so many videos, even about cutting your screen) and "national cycle" aware that they can't hold back info that could reduce there sales! They are spoiled as we are spending big dollars on aftermath parts that are basically crap, don't fit properly, not polished properly, or have a design defect. National cycle who is designing wind shields for over 30 years send us products that are designed incorrectly. They must have wind tunnels ....don't they? When you put a cruiser with a screen fitted they should be able with some smoke and fans to determine that they need another piece of screen at the top in front of the screen and a small piece behind the screen at the bottom? Than they produce it and show it and we can decide if we want it or not!

Speak up you fellow customers....let them now what your unhappy with and don't hide it!