Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > Pit bike reviews (video)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

thejunkman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 26

Posted 11/19/2010 9:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A long while back (5 years ago) I did some reviews of some Chinese pit bikes.  In the future I will be doing a long term review.  I have had really good luck with these bikes as I have put them through the paces, racing and riding them with no issues to speak of.  Just normal upgrades that any "pit racer" would do.

2005 SSR 125 C4

2007 SSR 90R

MichaelD
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 11/23/2010 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know a few people that have bought these ssr bikes and they are junk. Fix one thing and something else breaks, from spokes to clutch ect.. Ive yet to see a China bike that Id spend my hard earned money on and Im very open minded. I just see money pits. My Neighbor finally took my advice and got rid of his china bike after spending nearly what he paid for it on repairs and bought a older (late 80s) Yamaha 125 and now three yrs later has spent little to nothing on it and his kid beats it to death. Another individual thats more of a acquaintance has invested so much in upgrades that there stuck with the bike and will never get anything out of it as they have tried to sell it and no one will buy it. Waste of money from what I see Ill stick with One of the big four.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

thejunkman
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/23/2010 8:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, I agree these bikes are not for everyone. I however have had no out of the ordinary problems or issues, just normal wear and tear maintenance with both of these bikes and I have had them for going on 5 years now. As far as resale, there is really none to speak of, that can also be said for most custom built CRF50's but I don't plan to ever sell them and if I ever considered getting rid of them I figure I rode/raced my moneys worth out of them. However the current crop of Pitsters and SSR's top line bikes are very well built and competitive right out of the box. These models I have here are/were early models and since have been improved.

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 11/24/2010 7:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope Im not sounding like a basher Ive just seen alot of money invested in a few of these bikes and the poor sap that gets stuck with one has nowhere to get rid of them when the time comes compared to the big four. Heck you can still sell a old 70-80s model for a decent amount

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

thejunkman
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/24/2010 8:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah I hear ya, the pit bike scene is a little different though. There are no Japanese (adult ready) fully built pit bikes (yet) so serious pit races have to start with something like this and either ride it as is or build it up for serious competition. You would be surprised at the aftermarket support for these and other brands. It is an industry all its own. But I totally agree, these are NOT starter bikes nor for someone that just wants a bike to tool around on occasionally. Just by their nature they are squirly unless you know how to ride them properly. They are an affordable way to get into the scene and find out if you like the sport (pit bike racing) I have several other video of me racing these bikes against other built bikes and china bikes. Check them out.

And just for the record I have LOTS of different kinds of bikes so I know how to discriminate between types of riding and motorcycles.

josephwilliem
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/30/2010 5:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hey guys,,,,,,
really amazing information & images shared by thejunkman
i appreciate this ONE ,really works better.
thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hop burger

joseph