Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > Which Motorcycle Fairings to choose?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

fairings
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 6/14/2011 10:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello guys,

This is my first post here.

I need opinions from expert riders on which type of aftermarket fairings to choose for my Yamaha R1.

Four types are available:

1) ABS - Injection Molded
2) ABS - Compression Molded
3) Fiberglass
4) Carbon Fiber

The first one appears to be promising, but so does the third one. I don't know pros and cons because I never had to replace a fairing before. The fourth one is ridiculously expensive and the second one ridiculously cheap.

I'm confused and need advice and would appreciate if you guys and direct me to the best shops. I have read reviews but I understand that they are biased. I need help based on real experience.

Thanks
:-)

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/15/2011 4:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check out Performance Bikes magazine.(May 2011) its out of the UK. they just did a comparo between oem replacements and Chinese knock offs, worth having a look. for about the price of one faring,you can change all of the body work. But the finish sometimes isn't perfect,and there's always a bad story about getting ripped off. PB didn't get ripped and it looked fantastic. They used a r1 and went with a fiat rossi rep look. They will be doing knock off rear sets and levers and such this month..... something Im very interested in. cant imagine they are going to be as nice as a new set of sato rear sets though.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/15/2011 8:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
fairings said...
I need opinions from expert riders on which type of aftermarket fairings to choose for my Yamaha R1.

Maybe knowing WHY you are researching these options would help "us" know what advice to give you.

If they aren't all identical in style and function, it might come down to which one suits your needs the best.

fairings
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/16/2011 3:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have an R1 which I bought pretty cheap. The fairing already on it is... I don't know how to put it.. DULL, I guess. Dull and scratched. He'd put a lot of stickers on it to cover up scrapes. I just wanna change them. Now there's a LOT of price difference between what some chinese websites are offering and what's being offered by US based retailers. First of all, the price difference is very confusing. Both claim to offer Heat Shield and etc. Free tank covers and windshield. ABS injection molded. But why such a HUGE price difference? They're three times cheaper on chinese websites. Looks same though. Weird!

Post Edited (fairings) : 6/16/2011 10:21:08 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 6/16/2011 4:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cause they are reversed engineered,made cheap... Really should check out the PB article I mentioned,it explains alot.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

fairings
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/16/2011 5:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I'll surely check it out. Can you suggest any good retailers around Calgary region, Canada? I'm looking in the following price range: $500 to 700 max.
Approximately how much do the original ones cost?

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 6/16/2011 5:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No clue Im just outside of detroit. Google is your freind. search local dealers and such. I would be looking at stuff online for the best "deal" unless you want to keep your money in your economy...... its one of those pay peter to rob paul deals... lol

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/30/2011 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's a third option.

Used fairings from eBay - foks will buy the bike as a track bike, swap out the stock fairings for sharkskinz or other 'race' fairings... and then bin the bike. So they unload the fairings sitting in their garage for a bike that's no longer rideable.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/15/2011 2:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deacon Blues said...
There's a third option.

Used fairings from eBay - foks will buy the bike as a track bike, swap out the stock fairings for sharkskinz or other 'race' fairings... and then bin the bike. So they unload the fairings sitting in their garage for a bike that's no longer rideable.
I like this option. Of course timing is everything, but I definitely like this option! Outside of that, If I was lucky enough to have an R1, I sure wouldn't put any of that cheap Chinese garbage on my bike. But that is just me...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe