Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > GT Engineering Students Need Your Input!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

crane_engineering
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/26/2011 10:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all, I am on an Senior Undergraduate Engineering Design Team at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA. Our team is designing an automated device, operated by only one person, that loads a sport vehicle (motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, etc.) into the bed of a pickup truck (instead of using a simple ramp).

We would appreciate your input to this problem by answering the questions below. We are trying to get a feel for the market for this type of product.

Please reply to this post with your answers to the questions below:
1. What kind of sport vehicle do you own (type, make, model)?
2. How do you transport it currently (pickup, trailer, etc.)? How many people does this require to load it?
3. If you own a pickup truck, would you buy an automated device that safely loads your sport vehicle into your truck?
4. If you do not have a pickup truck, hypothetically if you did have one, would you buy a device like this?
5. What is the maximum price you would pay for a device like this?
6. Can we contact you later about this project? If yes, please PM me with your e-mail address and name.

Thank you very much for your input! If you would like to contact our team, you can e-mail us at gogomoto.gt@gmail.com.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/26/2011 12:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
crane_engineering said...

Please reply to this post with your answers to the questions below:
1. What kind of sport vehicle do you own (type, make, model)?
2. How do you transport it currently (pickup, trailer, etc.)? How many people does this require to load it?
1. A Honda Shadow motorcycle.

2. By riding it.  If it won't run, I call AAA.  rolleyes

So.....I guess I won't be much help. smilewinkgrin

My daughter lives in Atlanta and I hope to be riding through there about Nov. 1.
Might be interesting to pop into GT and say HI.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/27/2011 10:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I'll bite (MSOE grad by the way):

1. What kind of sport vehicle do you own (type, make, model)? Dirt bike, Suzuki DRZ400E, Suzuki 400 Ice Bike.
2. How do you transport it currently (pickup, trailer, etc.)? How many people does this require to load it? I have a Dodge Dakota pickup, 2wd, but I also have a 5x10 tilt bed trailer. The bikes usually go on the trailer as the pickuup has a hard tonneau cover on it. I can load /unload my bikes by myself (I'm 53 years old).
3. If you own a pickup truck, would you buy an automated device that safely loads your sport vehicle into your truck? Probably not. It would have to be something that takes very little room in the pickup bed. Would have to be self storing. Would have to mount/install without modifying the truck (other than removing the tailgate). Maybe be a style that mounts to the receiver hitch, lowers to the ground, lifts the bike and rotates/advances into the truck bed.
4. If you do not have a pickup truck, hypothetically if you did have one, would you buy a device like this? Kind of a redudant question isnt it. If you own a pickup truck the previous question is all that is needed, if no pickup, the question is irrelevent.
5. What is the maximum price you would pay for a device like this? Marketable at less than $500.
6. Can we contact you later about this project? If yes, please PM me with your e-mail address and name. PM

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 9/28/2011 12:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride a Buell Firebolt.

Normally, I ride it to wherever it needs to go. However, on the three occasions when I've had to carry it (twice in my truck, once in a trailer), I loaded it by myself with no problems.

I would not purchase a device, automated or not, to load my bike into a truck...so far as yet, it simply has not been an issue. Then again, I know how to load a bike, am generally sober, and do not own a Harley... ;-)

I will comment, though, that what IS commonly seen in my area is trucks loaded with snowmobiles, which are possibly more ungainly than motorcycles, and also far more likely to be transported by truck. Although most guys just use a ramp, an "automated loading device" might appeal to some of those guys (especially if it was mobile enough to carry in the truck with the sleds).

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/29/2011 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with Geoff on that one. I have seen many a snowmobile loaded into the back of a pickup truck, and wondered just how the owner got it up there without some sort of ramp/device. I have seen some snowmobile riders make a simple ramp, rests on the ground and the sled is ridden onto the ramp, then the whole sled/ramp is lifted at the rear and slid into the bed.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/29/2011 2:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lots of possibilities exist. Sometimes there is a ditch (summertime/Dirt bike) a pickup can back into, dropping the tailgate to ground level.

But...this exercise in Engineering is escaping me. There are so many ramps made for every situation I've seen, it's not like there is vacuum that needs to be filled.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/30/2011 6:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When this post first showed I really didnt think it was a need for anyone. But,the snowmobile would be an advantage here. Loading a sled into the back of a truck sucks. The tailgate isnt strong eoungh to really handle the load. So a viable tool for that for sure. Only thing is most use a trailer. But towing a trailer through a snow storm really stinks. So if I were you fellas,thats a route I would pursue. Good luck.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 9/30/2011 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I used to have a doo-dad that bolted to your trailer hitch & you lifted the front wheel of your bike and placed in in this curved frame where it sat. You then tied the handlebars to the ends of the rear bumper to keep the bike upright & you could tow the bike around with the rear wheel on the ground.

Does anybody recall what it was called?

Unfortunately my Nomad is way too heavy for that, but I can imagine a similar thing that has a jack built in so you can roll the bike onto it, secure the wheel, and jack it into position.

Now that I'd go for, but I own a sporty truck & the bed is just too high & small for my bike to ride in it safely.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/30/2011 3:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BMW K75RT

I ride it. If it is disabled, then I rent a trailer from UHAUL and use that.

I doubt UHAUL would appreciate me fitting extra equipment to their vehicles/trailers. So, no.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."