Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > Riding Gloves  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Nir
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/3/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi to you all,
I am new around here, I am riding Triumph America 2010.
I want to buy gloves for the autumn in upstate NY.
I was looking at these two:
1. Alpinestars WR-V Gore-Tex Gloves.
2. Alpinestars WR-3 Gore-Tex Gloves.
Anyone with any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?
Thank you!
Nir.

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 10/4/2011 5:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Both look like great gloves. I prefer Held gloves for overall protection.  They are probably the most expensive gloves that you can buy, but their materials and quality are top of the line.  They are typically unlined, but you can wear a liner underneath, so maybe a thin gortex/thinsulate glove under the Held would provide the protection and comfort you are looking for. 

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 10/7/2011 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...
Both look like great gloves. I prefer Held gloves for overall protection. They are probably the most expensive gloves that you can buy, but their materials and quality are top of the line. They are typically unlined, but you can wear a liner underneath, so maybe a thin gortex/thinsulate glove under the Held would provide the protection and comfort you are looking for.

Held actually sells a woven silk glove liner--I have a pair, and they're great! (silk is thin, warm, and tough...perfect for this use)

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/8/2011 11:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have had a pair of British made Frank Thomas gloves in model Aqua that are made for cold or weat weather riding so they are lined by the factory. 

Not with the maze of protection to the fingers & hands as some of the more costly gloves closer to use for road racing.

At first the feeling was not up to snuff of some riding gloves aimed more for racing, but one soon gets the hang of it along with warmer & dry hands in other condition.

Also this pair are around 6 yrs of use & in prime condition.  For come Autumn or Spring this is the pair I tend to use so often to where I do not tend to come off my sportbike bar one occasion back in '03.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/9/2011 6:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm held..... Checking those out, thanks guys. Hands are hurting from colder temps. Need an upgrade as well.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/11/2011 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Me too. The MotoBoss Talons I got last year are shot and my hands are freezing out, even with the silks on underneath. Freeze-out liners are working a bit better but still not good enough and it's not even really cold yet.

I just picked up a pair of Alpinestars WR-2s. These will be my first Gore-Tex glove. So far so good, I rode 2 hours last night in 49 degrees and into work this morning in 48 and light rain and they kept my hands toasty warm and dry. And as far as control operaion and feel, these are wonderful. Only the Dianese Hellfires I had worked better, and they were not a cold weather glove! They are a bit lacking in the protection area though. The 3mm that is provided for the back hand and fingers is OK, but I would prefer better knuckle and wrist coverage. I also wonder if these WR-2s will hold up to 45 and down to say 37. I'm a little skeptical, so the WR-3/WR-V may be a more appropriate choice. But the guys at the S.J. Cyclegear store said to just bring 'em back and we'll make the switch.

Will keep you guys posted. I looked at the Held line too, but I have to admit that the price drove me away. If these WR-2s don't make the cut, I may revisit that situation.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/16/2011 12:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, kids, the WR-2s didn't make the cut. I had to return them yesterday after my fingers started to freeze out again Monday night. Not the whole hand this time, just the digits. But the digits are the important part! I was about an hour and a half in, temp was about 48 degrees and falling. I have to say I was a little disappointed because these gloves felt so good on, but even with the Gore-Tex membrane 70g of Thinsulate is not proving to be quite enough, and my requirements are what they are so back they went. So the hunt continues. I think I am going to shift focus away from Alpinestars and take a serious look at the Held Warm-N-Drys or the are couple of gloves from the Revit! line. The Dainese Jerico looks like a winner too, but very pricey.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 11/18/2011 3:39:17 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/17/2011 5:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Im on the fence. Heated grips,or warm gloves. Havent decided. Think the vfr is done for the year anyway.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 9:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know, man, lotsa guys were chattin up the heated's. Gerbings in particular. They even make a Hybrid glove that is battery powered (optional, 50 bucks apiece!)
but you are not tethered to the bike and still getting the benefit of heated gear.

I ended up getting the Revit! Bastion GTX. It's a true Winter glove. I passed on the Held Warm and Drys because the palms were a bit thin. The Bastions should be here in time for the next rain. I think these are going to be OK. I like the construction, the Superfabric protection in critical areas around the glove (Superfabric is a new material that is reported to be 14 tiimes stronger than Kevlar) and the race grade hard parts; I didn't want to skimp on protection. And I am definitely a fan of Gore-Tex now as well, so these will be good. The HiPora liner that the Talons had was good, but not as good as the Gore-Tex.

EDIT! SID, one of the reasons I didn't go with the Held Warm and Dry's was that the palms were a little thin as mentioned, but they did this because the glove was designed to work in conjunction with a heated grip. This gives the rider better feel for the controls as well as operating other things like cluster function buttons, GPS units and so on. This puts the bulk of the weather protection at the back of the hands, which is good. Not so good if you don't have heated grips! :p

I mistakenly thought you meant heated gloves in your previous post, but upon further review you actually said heated grips! Gerbing is a maker of top-of-the-line heated glove products. Every time the subject of heated gloves came up, Gerbing was the recomendation. Every time. Tour Master was a close second. For me personally, I won't use heated gear of any type. I don't want to be tethered to the bike in any, shape or form. I think if came down to having to go with a powered system, heated grips make more sense.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 11/18/2011 8:52:08 PM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/23/2011 1:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The Rev!it Bastion GTX Winter gloves arrived yesterday. I felt like it was Christmas morning already! I anxiously ripped open the very well-packaged box and extracted the treasure inside. The moment I had these new mits in my paws I knew I had made the correct choice. The visual aspects of these gloves are impressive enough and get even better as you really look at the way the glove is made. The materials and the construction are top-notch. This SuperFabric is wild stuff, man! I've never seen anything like it. They have also placed reflective materials in key places on the glove which is a very nice touch. They feel very solid but not heavy, which is very good as that shows promise for good feel at the controls and so on. So excellent looks, great features and a top-notch build. But now the real test; time to put them on!

My hand measurement is right at Ten inches, so for this line of products, I selected size XXL. My hand went right into them like they were made just for me. In other words, they fit like a glove! What really impressed me, though, is how well the liners all held tight as I was slipping my hand into them. There was no play or excess movement of the liner material like you get in so many other gloves. and the liner feels like velvet; very soft and pleasing to your hand as you wear them. The adjusting straps are a joy to work, and provide a lot of flexibility in how you want to wear them, which for me is over the sleeve. I like the size of the gauntlets as well. OK, fit and finish are both great; now it's time to road test them.

This morning it was 46 degrees out, and with humidity the actual temp was about 42 with 8-10MPH winds. This would have been the end for my other gloves straight away, but not these. The initial feel of the gloves around the controls were a bit tight and a tad bulky at first, but this is to be expected as they are new and they are a winter glove. I suspect this will go away considerably once they are broken in. The ride into work was delightful; I never felt a lick of wind or cold during the entire 50 minute ride in. In fact, my hands were kept at a constant temperature and I never felt my hands perspire in them either. And I have no doubts about the water protection; thank you Gore-Tex!

So there you have it. In my humble opinion, the folks at Rev!it have hit one out of the park with these Bastion GTX gloves. Pricey, yes; but they are worth every penny. At least I think so.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/24/2011 5:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
so whats pricey rap? 150,200? Sound nice.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/24/2011 11:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeez, all of that and I didn't mention price? What a maroon! lol   I paid $189.00 for them. I have been wearing them in the house doing dexterity drills to break 'em in and they are getting better already.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe