Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Product Reviews > Alpinestars Leather jacket with perforation or not?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Cerebus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 240

Posted 12/24/2011 1:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking to get a new Alpinestars leather jacket and am struggling with getting one with perforation or not.  I would like the jacket to be a 3 season jacket so I could use it down to 40 deg. F.  I could get one with perforation and wear a windproof liner under it for the cold but is that going to be enough?  If i get one without perforation, I would most likely swelter when the temp is at 80.  I currently have a testile/leather combo and could wear that when it gets hot but I want to avoid waring it because it does not offer good protection.

Opinions?

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/24/2011 6:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the Alpinestars Tech 1-R jacket, which is perforated. I bought it to essentially replace another fine jacket of mine, a Spidi GP Kangaroo (which is not perforated). The times of year I do most riding - spring through fall - I don't need any base layers. Perforation is VERY nice to have. If I'm riding under 60F I'll usually wear some Under Armour and it's nice. Go for the perforated.

Cerebus
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 1/1/2012 4:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So this is the one I think I'm going to get tomorrow at Bob's cycle. Tried it on last week and it fit perfect.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/35797/ITEM/Alpinestars-GP-R-Perforated-Leather-Jacket.aspx

I am concerned that when it gets from 40 - 55 deg. even with a windproof layer under that I will be cold because of the perforation. I guess I'll find out.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/2/2012 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks nice.

I would recommend a base layer designed for cold conditions, not just a wind block. I know there are several brands out there, but I've really been impressed with Under Armour's cold gear. Is that an FJR in your avatar? I'd think those would have more adequate wind protection, anyway.

Cerebus
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 1/2/2012 7:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ya, it's got an adjustable windshield on a motor. Love it! Someday I'll get another kawi ZX-6r in addition to the FJR but for now, this will have to due. Great for sport-touring. Decent for sport riding but not as "flickable" as a true sport bike.

Picked up the jacket today. No regrets. Fits awesome! Think I'll go with Under Armour cold gear as well. Now i just have to sit and stare at the jacket ( and my bike ) for 3 months. Suck!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/2/2012 8:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol I know what you mean. Though I might have a ridable day this coming weekend. That would be marvelous/unexpected. Unusually mild winter here.

The UA base layer cold gear stuff comes in different levels. Make sure you get one of the warmer (usually a bit pricier) ones.

Are you putting a CE-rated spine guard in the pocket? The padding s*** they put in there will not do much. It's a relatively cheap upgrade. CE chest armor can also be added :p

Cerebus
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 1/3/2012 7:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ya, I plan on upgrading the back armour.  Probably next year.  I allow myself to spend a few hundred a year on accessories/gear and I think the jacket takes care of that.  Probably need new tires this summer but that doesn't count ;-)

It got up to 40 on Saturday.  Saw multiple people out on their cycles.  They all looked really cold.  Especially the guy on the chopper ( no wind protection ) running ape hangers that extended his arms out this highest he could reach.  This was on the interstate hwy.  Didn't look fun.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/3/2012 8:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congrats with your jacket!

WI has plenty of hot and warm days in the Summer, days above 40. I ride with perforated leathers, gloves and boots. When the temp drops,
I use my rain jacket that I have in the trunk. When the wind stops beating the chest, all feels warmer. If you have a bag, add an electric
liner and you will be on the top of the world in 40 and less.

What surprised me is that my perforated boots and gloves are still warm probably cause the circulation is not flowing like in the jacket. Then
again the type of bike you ride will come into play too. If you want to freeze on your neck and chest, get a sportbike - thus you know where
to stop the wind.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!