Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2005 Ducati 999R  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 1/7/2005 5:24 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When asked to describe their experience on the '05 Ducati 999R, Duke Danger and Ken replied with just one word, "Wow". Read the report here.

Go ahead, ask me anything.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/7/2005 6:21 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

That's a helluva machine to a helluva price!

Wait, 30K, that's a CBR price in Norway! It's cheap!jumpin

RedDog
Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me!

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 113

Posted 1/7/2005 6:48 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The great thing about sport bikes versus their car brethern is the affordability. Yes, this bike costs a lot for a bike, but not much compared to fine sports cars, so more people can enjoy it. I mean, I may like the ZO6, Viper or Ford GT (not to mention Porsches, BMW Ms, AMG Mercedes, et al), but have you priced these lately?

I know I sure like my 900SS and 748R, but I'd like to have this one, too.

ducluver
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 15

Posted 1/7/2005 8:12 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man..i dont even know where to start but to say the NEW ducati999R is freaking wickly fast and very sexy..i just recently purchase the new Ducati999R one of the last six reminding in the shop..the king of the torque is very nice on the freeway..its handling is surprior..i went thru pot holes..rough rigid hard surfaces road on the 710..405..and the 110 just to take it in all 6-gears...and the riding from long beach to los angeles was a smooth sailing...unlike my 748 and 04' R1..where its a little-bit more "balls bounching"..oh and did i mention is time for service..

caspar21
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 18

Posted 1/8/2005 6:24 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
omy.. i was getting sick at all the gooey praise till page 4.. then i started hearing a more balenced report on the bike..

i started looking for anything negative instead of reading the "all hail ducati" report. i am glad he managed to get to the few bad points about it... finally.

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 1/8/2005 8:04 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Anyone who has purchased any car/truck/motorcycle will tell you there is no perfect machine/vehicle. The 999R is no different. I'm just glad that Ducati (and MV and some other Italians) exists to keep the high-volume Japanese brands on their toes.

For me, the 999R does represent the epitome of sport biking right now, but I'm OK that many others here will disagree.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/8/2005 8:47 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Ducatis have the ability to turn once rational riders into slavishly devoted snobs. "
Hey, I know a few of those! (and some of 'em even own Ducatis)

What a bike! I'd love to take one for a ride, but I know I'd never use even half it's capabilities. And I agree with Superlight in his comparison of exotic sportbikes to exotic sports cars, with the difference being that the average working guy might actually be able to own one...

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/8/2005 11:16 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When these first came out, I thought that $30,000 was an insane amount of money for a bike.  Then Harley came out with its Screaming Eagle "custom" bikes with extra chrome and 80 hp for $30,000.  Now the 999R seems to be the deal of the century!!!

p.s. and I'm not even going to mention the turn-key customs that are sold in LA for anything between $40-$80K!

Green9R
PWTPT

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 579

Posted 1/8/2005 3:12 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
$30K... Hmmm... What I could do with the other 20K I didn't spend on my RR..

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 1/8/2005 6:31 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

If you mean a Honda 1000RR, you'd find that to spec it like the 999R would eat your funds up pretty quickly. About $2500 for the forged alloy wheels, $2000 for the carbon fairing/fender/ram air ducts + $1000 paint. You'd need $1500 + $1000 labor to install titanium rods/valves if Honda offers those to the public (do they?). Oh, yeah, Ohlins stuff @ $2500 for Road&Track forks, $1000 for a rear shock and $500 for a steering damper. And you'd still have a Honda, not an exotic brand (for what that's worth).

Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this plan if you really like the bike and the mods. I just did these same sort of things to a Ducati 900SS and spent another $10k or so over the original purchase price. I just know, however, that I'm one of the few who appreciate what I've done, so I'm kind of stuck with the result. One of the advantages of a factory custom is everyone who matters knows what it is and values it more when it comes time for resale. If you don't believe me, look at the prices of used 996Rs and 998Rs on EBay. They bring a hefty sum.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 1/8/2005 7:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man, it sure is red.

Hey, Korf, how much does a Ducati turnsignal set you back?

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 1/8/2005 7:46 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
it's expensive enough that ken and kevin didn't let me ride it. :)

Go ahead, ask me anything.

Green9R
PWTPT

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 579

Posted 1/8/2005 9:19 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HRC does offer a racing kit (not sure of the price) and Erion Honda is the US distributor for Ten Kate parts but the stock bike has enough HP you just need to tweak it a bit. A $5.5k investment nets you an HRC link, R&T forks, an Ohlins rear shock, steel lines, PCIII, Arata Full Titanium system, and a 520 conversion kit with a larger rear sprocket (up 2 teeth). The HESD works pretty well so there was no need to install a steering damper. I can live with a bike that makes close if not over 160HP and has top level suspension components while still maintaining its user friendly manners.

Ducatis are nice, the 999R is an object of lust and you're right all I'll have is a Honda but what you get for your dollar buying a Ducati just isn't justified in my eye's. Plus I'm poor and I've already hit all the liquor stores in the area.

update: I enjoyed the write-up, thanks, another stellar job guys.

Post Edited (Green9R) : 1/9/2005 6:06:17 AM GMT

ducluver
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 15

Posted 1/8/2005 10:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well just like any ducati riders i know would say "..once u ride a duc that flop not like any other...u well never go back to anything else.."and its true...i personally find it to be more FUNNIER to ride the all mighty DUC...i mean i ride the R1 as part of my "daily commute"..and its a fast bike with high rev..its still aint got the taste and the feel like the red machine..

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 1/9/2005 5:09 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When you get to the level of bikes like any of the new 1000 4s or twins, they're all good. It comes down to what you like. It is as subtle as what exhaust note you prefer, whether you like a rush of power at redline (4s) or a more linear pull (twins) and which brand does the aesthetic thing to your personal taste. Obviously, I'm a twins guy after owning many other brands than Ducati (Honda, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, BMW). That is my main criteria for purchase - it has kept me from seriously considering an MV, though I think that machine is hands-down the best looking bike in the world.

Two other points:
1.Didn't one of the magazines just do an article on a Ten Kate Honda 1000 available to the general public? As I recall, it listed in the mid-$30s.
2. Honda had race kits for the RC51 available a couple of years ago if you wanted to go superbike racing. I think it went for $108k. If you or I wanted to race one of the Japanese 4s, who's got a kit the average guy can buy?

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 1/9/2005 2:27 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bkorfhage said...
Ooooo...

Tough break, man.

shakehead 

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 1/10/2005 10:30 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Korf said...
bkorfhage said...
CaddmannQ said...
Ooooo...

Tough break, man.
Well, until he pays off the GSX-R he wadded last summer, he's riding nothing but Vinos, Kymcos and Go-Peds!

-KD, MCUSA Road Test Editor

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 1/10/2005 12:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Vinos?

That borders on cruel and inhuman punishment you know...

shocked yeah shocked

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 1/10/2005 1:52 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm...I note that the Road Test editor's avatar looks surprisingly like a Buell XB12R Firebolt. Being wheelied. Hmmm.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/10/2005 6:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

"$30K... Hmmm... What I could do with the other 20K I didn't spend on my RR.."

...wish I didn't buy a Honda and used it to buy a 999R:p

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/10/2005 7:58 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ducluver said...
Well just like any ducati riders i know would say "..once u ride a duc that flop not like any other...u well never go back to anything else.."and its true...i personally find it to be more FUNNIER to ride the all mighty DUC...i mean i ride the R1 as part of my "daily commute"..and its a fast bike with high rev..its still aint got the taste and the feel like the red machine..
it's funny, that's what some hd riders say too. 

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 1/10/2005 11:20 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Once again, from the article: "Ducatis have the ability to turn once rational riders into slavishly devoted snobs."

mrrw60
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 387

Posted 1/12/2005 6:02 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Superlight said...
When you get to the level of bikes like any of the new 1000 4s or twins, they're all good. It comes down to what you like. It is as subtle as what exhaust note you prefer, whether you like a rush of power at redline (4s) or a more linear pull (twins) and which brand does the aesthetic thing to your personal taste. Obviously, I'm a twins guy after owning many other brands than Ducati (Honda, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, BMW). That is my main criteria for purchase - it has kept me from seriously considering an MV, though I think that machine is hands-down the best looking bike in the world.

Two other points:
1.Didn't one of the magazines just do an article on a Ten Kate Honda 1000 available to the general public? As I recall, it listed in the mid-$30s.
2. Honda had race kits for the RC51 available a couple of years ago if you wanted to go superbike racing. I think it went for $108k. If you or I wanted to race one of the Japanese 4s, who's got a kit the average guy can buy?
 You forgot to mention the mid level RC51 for the privateer that listed for 40K. The 108K RC51 was damn near the same as the factory machine. Then again I doubt the 999r offered to the public is even remotely close to the Factory ride. Last but not least the Ten Kate bike for 30k is pumping out almost 200hp and Chris vermulens first bike of the season was raced almost completely stock with the exception of custom map, pipe, and suspension tweaks. and he was handing filas ass on a silver platter.  Not a hater here and I would love a 999r myself. If I was going racing I would purchase the Ten Kate bike in a minute.

Me on my Sunday ride.

"Chicken strips taste good with honey mustard"

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 1/12/2005 10:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Don't kid yourself. That Ten Kate Honda was anything but stock. Just a normal, full-on superbike built from a 1000RR base unit.

The way all racing works is that the rules (and financials) determine who will win. Right now, it looks like the rules have tipped to the line-4s. It may be their turn for a while. Anyone familiar with powertrains will tell you that the max HP is determined by valve area and RPMs. Line 4s have more of both than an equivalent twin. Of course, a five or six-cylinder would have even more. So if the rules permit 1000CCs for all engine types and the weights are the same, the twins will struggle.

I must admit I did enjoy seeing Honda and all their money get beat by Rossi and Yamaha this year. Just shows the rider has a part to play in racing (just like Rossi said when he left Honda).

mrrw60
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 387

Posted 1/12/2005 11:15 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I sense a Honda hater here... Anyways do you ever get tired of watching the Ducati cup every year? My money is on Ten Kate next season in WSBK. As for Rossi... You could put him on a Proton and he would still win Moto GP... Now he should leave and race F1. That would be a site to see him take that championship as a first year rookie.

Me on my Sunday ride.

"Chicken strips taste good with honey mustard"