Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > First Ride: 2005 Harley-Davidson Street Rod  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 3/8/2005 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Aiight guys, it's in! I was overjoyed during my first ride on the Street Rod. It's not perfect, but those looking for something with H-D aesthetics in a sporting package will be more than satisfied.

Go ahead, ask me anything.

Tros
Global Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 3/8/2005 3:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool bike & good write-up, but that bike isnt something I'd ever buy. If I was a die-hard HD rider I'd buy myself a fatboy (or any other model). If I wanted responsive handling I'd get something else. My point? Just go buy two bikes and have the best of both worlds; comfort & performance.

| Motorcycle USA | Register Your Ride | FAQ Part Two | The Newbie FAQ | MSF Course | MSF Donation |

I'm old enough to know better; too young to care!
“Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/8/2005 3:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dang it Kansas, I'm not even done posting it! Stop reading things before they're on the site. :) I would say ride it before you dismiss it, it's a pretty sweet ride!

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 3/8/2005 4:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mwhahaha. I probably would at least ride it if I was given the chance. But I havent even seen it at the local HD dealer, so I'll wait.

| Motorcycle USA | Register Your Ride | FAQ Part Two | The Newbie FAQ | MSF Course | MSF Donation |

I'm old enough to know better; too young to care!
“Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

SportBikeBandit
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/8/2005 5:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great writeup, love all those great pictures. Like Kansas I don't see myself owning a "Rod" but I like the FXDX and Fatboy.
Great to see HD adding to the modern line up though.
Thanks MUSA
Bandit.

bobbo
Ridin Free in AZ

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 375

Posted 3/8/2005 5:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Street Rod, looks cool. I would however go for different wheels and make the bike into a lot lighter more competitive. I have ridden the bike, and I like the performance. It is much different than a cruiser. You have to keep the revs up to keep power flowing. If I had the money, I would buy one.

Robert Miller
U.S. Army Ret.
Victory V92TCD Ultra
Shut Up and Ride!  !  !
Part of the VAST Right Wing Conspiracy

Rogue
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 3/8/2005 9:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way Harley Davidson does make sport bikes or as you call them, knee sliders. They just aren't called Harley Davidsons, they
are called....TA DA!! BUELLS!!...Beulls are made and sold by HD.

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/9/2005 9:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BUELLS!!...Beulls are made and sold by HD. said...
Really? And and here I thought Buells were a Japanese company all this time!smilewinkgrin 

When you say H-D owns and manufacturs Buells you are talking about a business operation. If the execs at H-D truly thought Buells were worthy of the namesake, they'd be wearing the badge right now. There's a reason they kept the Buell brand very seperate despite the fact they own 98% of the company now.

Harley-Davidson, the brand, doesn't make sporting models. It has built its name and reputation on traditional cruising motorcycles and one of the reasons they have been so successful is they have adhered to the tradition of years past. People like the nostalgia, and the hardcore owners tend to turn their nose up at Sportbikes.

Just because H-D owns a substantial portion of the Buell brand doesn not mean it's worthy of wearing the H-D badge. The Street Rod is a pretty big step forward in terms of selling a modern standard and I think they are headed in the right direction by designing a bike that offers up style, comfort, and performance.

Vash
The Humanoid Typhoon

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 94

Posted 3/9/2005 10:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice bike,
Given the "HD" the price is reasonable (lets see if the dealerships will sell it for that, remember the 30k V-rod?).
A few questions:
1. Hard to tell from the pictures, but did they fit a descent sized swing arm on to that thing?
2. Where is all the bragging about harley fit and finish coming from? The ones I've seen show signs of rust on bolt heads in the first year. Not to mention the dreaded oil leaks.
3. Given the "mild" low end of the engine, would you describe it as peaky? How does the poweraband compare to a modern streetbike? sportbike?

Thats about it really

--Accelerating out of Existance

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/9/2005 10:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vash said...
1. Hard to tell from the pictures, but did they fit a descent sized swing arm on to that thing?
2. Where is all the bragging about harley fit and finish coming from? The ones I've seen show signs of rust on bolt heads in the first year. Not to mention the dreaded oil leaks.
3. Given the "mild" low end of the engine, would you describe it as peaky? How does the poweraband compare to a modern streetbike? sportbike?
1. The swingarm was not very big at all. However, it did feel pretty stable given that H-D fitted it with old school suspension components.
2. Maybe they just spruce them up for the press, but the ones that were available at the press intro looked good. No rust for us...and no oil leaks. This is a "first ride" article afterall.
3. The powerband is nothing like any sportbike powerband. It's pretty tame until it gets to 5k, then it feels like it starts to pull pretty good, all the way up to redline, which, unfortunatley, is around 8900. So you need to keep the revs up. To me a modern sportbike (i'm assuming you're talking about Twins) are much more gnarley once they reach the power. But even before that they offer up much more grunt on the bottom. Remeber that most modern sportbikes (RC-51, Mille R, 999) are extremely light by comparrison, so when the power kicks in the bike takes off in a big way. The Street Rod suffers from a bit of heft. Personally, I'd like to see them shave some weight and make it abit more sporting, but I don't see that happening.

I don't want to compare the Street Rod with V-Twin sportbikes. Even though the engine is inspired by the VR1000, it's not quite as good as the motors offered up by the sporting compeition, IMO.

Post Edited (bkorfhage) : 3/9/2005 6:38:17 PM GMT

DataDan
Rodent Of Unusual Size

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 1054

Posted 3/9/2005 10:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I could tap out 1000 words on why I won't be buying a Harley--ever--without even brewing another pot of coffee. But that V-Rod motor is just about perfect for the kind of riding I like.

It makes good top-end power for strong acceleration without compromising the middle of the torque curve, where I spend most of my sportriding time. Attached is the dyno chart from the current issue of Rider magazine (photographed, not scanned--sorry). Peak torque comes at a relatively lofty 7500RPM, but 90% of peak is available from just above 3000 all the way to 9000. So in twisty-road riding, you never need to downshift to get around a hole in the torque curve (cough-VFR-cough); just gas it and go.

Because of its porky 650lb wet weight and the primacy of style over substance, I don't want the motorcycle. But maybe someday they'll give that motor the home it deserves.

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid problems that would demand his superior skill.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
streetroddyno.JPG
  73KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 368 time(s).

HDXLCR
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 500

Posted 3/9/2005 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the riding position would be great for me, and the bike would work well for my primary mission, one bike to do everything. I could even learn to live with the weight. But I just can't afford one. A modified Roadster will do the same job for a lot less money.

Harley Rider
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 3/9/2005 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have never ridden one but I respect HD's decision to move into more performance based bikes. I wouldn't buy one myself b/c if I want to go 150 mph I"m doing it on a sportbike.

Rogue
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 3/9/2005 5:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I agree with everything you said, still my point was that the motor company does make them.....and they don't shy away from saying so. No, only the traditional cruisers have HD on them, that's the way it should be for HD and not the way that say, Triump, (who makes very good bikes BTW, I would dearly love to have their Rocket 3) who has branched out with sport bikes, put their name on all of them. It's all just marketing as you basically alluded to. I'm sure that if the motor company thought they could make more money calling the Buells Harley Davidsons (which many of the earlier Buell bikes showed "Buell by Harley Davison" kinda did) then they would do so.

I have a 2004 Sportster 1200 custom, and with a few modifications that I've done with it(screaming eagle exhaust and intake) , it's power per weight seems pretty good for me(something like in the neighborhood of 80HP for a 560 lb bike). I'm sitting up feet forward like I do in a car and don't have the need to go over 100MPH though I have done so on it.

Rogue
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 3/9/2005 5:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...and Vash...Where do you get that stuff about HDs? Maybe you are going back to the 70's when HD was owned by...oh what's that bowling company?...Hmmm....Oh yes, AMF, whose motto seemed to be quantity over quality. My HD has shown none of those things during the year that I've owned it, and many of my friiends have none of those problems in the several years they have owned theirs. I think you are just predjudiced plain and simple! Which leads you to believe only the negative you want to hear and ignore anything positive.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 3/10/2005 11:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While I think it's groovy that HD is mixing things up, I'm not really sure who would want this. HDs need to be eye candy (I mean this in the best way). This looks like an update of that unloved Suzuki VX800 (their standard V-twin bike of the late '80s). Looking at the riding position, Harley has basically made a "standard" bike, but one that weighs 650lbs. With Triumph's new Speed Triple about to be released, the Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster S4R, Kawi Z1000, Yam FZ1 heck even the Buell Lightning series having the same riding position but weighing 150-200 lbs less, costing much less, this bikw would only appeal to those who just have to have the badge. I've ridden Harleys and like them, but if I was in the market I would get an air-cooled "old school" one as that is the essence of them. The lack of hoses/plumbing/radiators adds to the purity of their design. Why not get a Dyna Glide Sport instead of this? Isn't the riding position the same or similar plus it has a ton of after market hop up parts, comes with decent suspension, is simpler mechanically, costs less, IMO looks better and still has that HD badge.
Is there any way you can test a Dyna Glide Sport against this Street Rod? That would really be cool. I know you can just rent the bikes here in LA so even if they aren't available from the HD press fleet, they are for the outlay of about $120/day. You would be the only publication that would have done something like this, hint, hint.
yeah

Reg
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 277

Posted 3/10/2005 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It looks great. Performance is outstanding. It is cool. It is H-D. And I do want one!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 3/10/2005 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Its such a cool bike.  Its macho yet refined.  Plus, it will be very comfortable to ride. 

My only concern would be the weight.  I'm not asking for an R6 but God it weighs more than 600 pounds!

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/12/2005 1:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ohio said...

My only concern would be the weight.  I'm not asking for an R6 but God it weighs more than 600 pounds!

It's hefty no doubt, but it feels much more nimble that most 600 pound bikes.

drnick
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 3/13/2005 8:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This was the bike I was waiting for when H-D introduced the V-Rod. When I couldn't wait any more, bought a V-Max in Nov "03 as an alternative to my "97 Low Rider. The V-Max is sure fast but displays some hair-raising handling problems in high speed sweepers and such. Put my order in for a Street Rod and put the V-Max up for sale the same day. These two bike are actually remarkably similar in terms of weight, hp, even the fuel tank below the seat, except for the aforementioned handling problems of the V-Max. Sat on the Street Rod and like the riding position. Everything I read indicates handling as good as the V-Max without any mention of stability issues in high speed sweepers. It's coming in April. Can't wait.

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 3/16/2005 11:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DantheDataMan said...
(...Peak torque comes at a relatively lofty 7500RPM, but 90% of peak is available from just above 3000 all the way to 9000. So in twisty-road riding, you never need to downshift to get around a hole...)
Thanks f/posting the chart from Rider... nice tq.-curve; that's nearly a flat-liner!

Generally, do other H-d's have similarly flat and 'fat' curves??  If this is a recognized benefit of cruiser-ownership, I can sorta begin understanding some of a cruiser's appeal...

Just think what such a 'friendly' tq. curve could do for a non-porky SuperSport !?!

If I have to 'understand', please don't explain...

Vash
The Humanoid Typhoon

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 94

Posted 3/17/2005 11:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rogue:
My best friend rides an '01 sportster. He spent a year working for Waco HD where I've met some of the most hardcore HD riders. Most of my expirience is limited to my friends sportster, but I've seen other do the same. Here is a short list of problems (mind you this is with all the proper maintance done by the dealership)
1. Leaking tranny
2. Leaking head gasket
3. Virtually every bolt is showing rust
4. Electrical mishaps

Maybe that bike has been built on a friday afternoon. I doubt it. Most problems seem to be material related.
Here is what I expect from a motorcycle. 50,000 worry free miles. about 5 years worth. No oil leaks or any other engine mulfunctions during that time. No replacements save those of wearable items. All this without being garaged, and ridden year around. Can a harley do that?

--Accelerating out of Existance

XB12R
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5

Posted 3/17/2005 1:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I want to know if Kevin Duke has ridden it and if so, what's his opinion?? Come on Kevin, stop hiding and give us your impressions!!

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/17/2005 5:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 3/17/2005 8:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vash said...
Rogue:
My best friend rides an '01 sportster. He spent a year working for Waco HD where I've met some of the most hardcore HD riders. Most of my expirience is limited to my friends sportster, but I've seen other do the same. Here is a short list of problems (mind you this is with all the proper maintance done by the dealership)
1. Leaking tranny
2. Leaking head gasket
3. Virtually every bolt is showing rust
4. Electrical mishaps

Maybe that bike has been built on a friday afternoon. I doubt it. Most problems seem to be material related.
Here is what I expect from a motorcycle. 50,000 worry free miles. about 5 years worth. No oil leaks or any other engine mulfunctions during that time. No replacements save those of wearable items. All this without being garaged, and ridden year around. Can a harley do that?
not sure about the "rust" bolts or the "Electrical mishaps" because i don't pay that close of attention to HD but the "Leaking" thing is pretty common and i've seen my fair share of it on both newer and older HD.  I sat on my buddy's glide a few years ago because he was trying to convince me how much better HD are compare to other bikes and when i got off, i was still vibrating....it felt like i was on a jack hammer. 

so not to say that other brands don't ever leak but i do see the "Leaking" thing alot more on HD even when it's "proper maintance" like you said.  maybe it's all that vibrations. 

i haven't sat on the street rod w/ the engine on but i'm sure it's a lot smoother than the other typical HD due to the way it's engineered.