Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > Hondamatic 400  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

donkee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/24/2005 6:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My brother spotted a Hondamatic 400 and asked me about it. Never touched one before. Anybody care to comment?

Been lurking the board for awhile and think it's a great site.

donkee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/26/2005 6:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I checked out the CM400A for my brother. Pretty beat up it is. The other one the guy happend to have is an 82 Honda Silver Wing 500. Looks like a pretty decent bike with 37,000 miles on it. He's asking 1200 for it. I might just have to keep an eye out on it and see if he'll come down on the price. Don't need another bike that bad, but it does have all the hard luggage and sound system...............

ScottInNV
DILLIGAS

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 130

Posted 6/26/2005 8:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also have a silverwing 500 (1981) If it is fully faired , with all of the accessories, the engine running with no unusual knocking noises (poss camchain or fan) they are a great bike. not fast but a decent bike for a commuter or daytrips. $ 1200 is right about where blue book puts it in value as well,as long as the condition is good or better

SilverDragon
yes, it's a dragon

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2571

Posted 6/27/2005 3:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
prince's purple rain bike was a hondamatic 400

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 6/27/2005 6:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I always thought that was a Yam XJ. Of course I have only seen the cover.

Elemental Science Project

SilverDragon
yes, it's a dragon

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2571

Posted 6/29/2005 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ah - well - i went looking, and found the builder, for someone on another forum ....

MillenniumRebel said...
prince's personal purple rain bike (not the stunt double bikes) was a custom hondamatic 400

dug up the info for fernando - he wants to duplicate it ....
www.surfmaine.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_files/config.pl?read=3194
Fernando said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 10:46 a.m.

Hey, here is an off topic one for you. I am very interested in reproducing the bike Prince rode in Purple Rain. OK stop laughing. I really want to do it. Trouble is I am having trouble finding info. The best I have done is to find out is was a Honda 500 of some sort (and I do not know if that is correct). The only pictures I can find are not so great (album cover). I would love some good photos, the year, make, and model. Also, any ID on the accessories (is that a Windjammer fairing?) would be great. Thanks, and yes....I am crazy.

Adam said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 12:25 p.m.
In Response To: I need some help (Fernando)

Darn I saw Prince at the nightclub I work at just the other night, I could have asked him! That would be pretty funny.

1963gt said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 4:49 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (Adam)

yes it would be neat. it was a windjammer fairing. i think you are also right on it being a honda 500 had a heck of a sissy bar. i will go rent movie and see if i can get more info.... grt

BABailey said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 5:40 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (1963gt)

this is a stumper - been spending hours searching - LOTS of 'mention' of it but no pics or specs

Fernando said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 5:52 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (BABailey)

Yup, lots of mention, but in the context of the places I find it mentioned there is no real interest in the bike. Except for some mention of the stunt bike that was used off road. I saw mention of it being on display, if I can find out where it might be possible to get pictures. I need to look at a DVD and try to save some stills, but I don't know how to do that and I don't have DVD on my computer anyway. Thanks for the interest, my search goes on, let me know if you see anything.

Lunatic said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 6:25 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (Fernando)

get ahold of sportwheels in minneapolis minnesota. they have the bike there.

BABailey said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 6:50 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (Lunatic)

searched - found their site ....

http://www.sportwheel.com/index.html

BABailey said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 6:00 p.m.
Re: Afterthoughts

maybe find a couple prince fan club forums and post a question for the resident geeks there ... or a motorcycle board ... email honda - email prince - email the movie studio ... seems to me there SHOULD be a centralized site for "Motorcycles in the movies" for this exact kind of interest etc...

maybe find the motorcycle magazines online indexes and check if it was featured in an article way back when ??

BABailey said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 6:24 p.m.
In Response To: ... after thoughts (BABailey)

i posted this link at several chopper boards ...

http://www.cruisebikes.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=725

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=13357&messageid=1020819884

http://pub33.ezboard.com/fhondachopperfrm4.showMessage?topicID=1653.topic

http://pub33.ezboard.com/fhondachopperfrm3.showMessage?topicID=580.topic

http://pub36.ezboard.com/fhonda350400500550foursfrm2.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

..... maybe someone will know something

Tom Summers said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 6:34 p.m.

Someone posted this on the Hondachopper board. I painted the purple rain bikes and helped with the redo. I also rebuilt it and repainted the Grafiti Bridge bikes. What do you need to know.??

Fernando said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 7:47 p.m.
In Response To: Re: I need some help (Tom Summers)

I am interested in reproducing the Purple Rain bike, the one on the album cover. I understand this is your work, I hope you don't mind. I am trying to find out the year, make, and model, as well as some details about the accessories like the fairing, sissy bar, etc. It would be nice to find some decent pictures too. This is for my own personal project and nothing more. I was not even sure if the bike was still around and am glad to hear it was saved. Can you give me any info?

Tom Summers said...

Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 9:04 p.m.

I did the bike back in 1984. It is a Honda 400 automatic. I believe the year to be about 1980 or so. It was bought along with two stunt bikes that weren't autos brand new from a dealer as leftover models. The automatic had its Comstar wheels converted to spokes to resemble the stunt bikes. The fairng is a brand name Kutter. I bought them from a company in Iowa I believe named the Kutter company. The three seats are one off,with hot pink velour inserts custom made in Drag Specialties upholstery deaptment. The sissy bar was a standard Drag spec. item. The handlebars are the 6 bend variety. As for the bikes today...one of the stunt bikes remains purple and is on display at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, MN. I redid Princes bike along with the thrashed stunt bike in black and gold for the movie Grafiti Bridge in about 1990. As for Sport Wheels having any of the bikes..doubtful...but any thing is possible. What they do have is a replica Kutter fairing that I sold them years back. They tell everyone that its off Princes bike.......wrong. Any other questions ?? I'd be more than happy to answer.....Tom.

=====

I WENT BACK AND CHECKED MY RECORDS TO BE SURE.
ITS ACTUALLY A 1981 HONDA 400A.

BABailey said...
Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 7:50 p.m.
In Response To: Thanks (Fernando)

i'm feeling real proud of myself LMAO

tried the chopper foums on an off chance and BINGO ....

Fernando said...
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2002, at 4:11 a.m.
In Response To: i'm feeling real proud of myself LMAO (BABailey)

You should be proud. I know that board and didn't think to try it. I know some of these guys from other boards too and they are a great crowd. You might recall I have a CB 750 too, so the GOTF are my kind of people. Thanks again for your very helpful efforts.

Post Edited (SilverDragon) : 6/29/2005 3:50:02 PM GMT

Iloveburnrice
banished

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 2123

Posted 7/4/2005 7:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
avoid that piece of junk. how ever a mint condition honda matic would be worth buying if the price is right "it would be a collector and a fairly odd bike" . they also made a CB 750 Honda Matic . one of the few older bikes i never ridden .

1-2-9er
77 RD400 - 06 SV650S

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 190

Posted 8/1/2005 10:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just out of curiosity, if you love the Honda 400 aspect, have you considered the CB 400? If you don't like shifting and you need lots of luggage it'd be a crappy choice, but IMO is a much more fun bike.

A near-mint yellow one just went on eBay a couple days ago for approx $1500.

Pro Patria - Ex Coelis

Geoffrey
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 774

Posted 8/5/2005 9:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are much better bikes than the Hondamatic. As suggested above, I'd avoid it.

Kerryjonjon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/16/2007 10:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was looking for the worth of my 1979 CM400A Hondamatic and got this site. Would like to sell it for a fair price.

cawain
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007

Posted 11/26/2007 5:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I am new here but wanted to say I have a Hondamatic 400 for sale. It is in great shape with just over 5000 miles on it. It has new tires, and just had the carbs rebuilt. If anyone is interested the bike is in central Missouri. I am asking $1500.00 or best offer. Thanks, Cawain wainlee@hotmail.com

hammonds42
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2007

Posted 12/26/2007 1:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am 18 and just got the bike from a guy that had it stored for my grandpa and wanted out of his garage.  I don't know anything about bikes. It has been sitting for at least 8 years. I emptyed the break fluid and there were junks in it does that meant the brake is going to need to be clean'd?
Does anyone know the actual resale value for a 1981 CM400A Hondamatic?? Let just say it is in fair condition. Thanks

Post Edited (hammonds42) : 12/27/2007 3:07:22 PM GMT