Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 8/1/2005 8:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hawkeye just finished up his first impression on the Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - First Ride.

Go ahead, ask me anything.

Kierrr
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 924

Posted 8/1/2005 9:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I own one, and I'll say everything in the article is spot on- except-

No one should pay the list of $7900,  I paid about $6800 and there is a post today on the Guzzi website saying they're selling for $5500- a true steal if true.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, is check to see if the dealer is committed to Guzzi.
Guzzi has plenty of problems in not supporting dealers.
Some dealers are fantastic,MPH in texas, Speaker Cycles in Ohio, my local Erico in Denver seems to be good, but if the dealer isn't committed or you can't/won't do your own work (the bike is very easy to work on) then don't buy one.

Somerset
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 172

Posted 8/1/2005 1:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Damn, this is such a good looking bike!
I usually do not like Italian designs too much while looked at from the side (it looks to me like these Ducati's are just spilling their guts), but this one is a looker.
I have no idea how it rides in real life (isn't this engine setup suppose to "twist" the bike when hitting the gas hard?), but it looks light, almost fragile for this engine size.
I don't think that there is anything else out there with that look and size, only the new Kawasaki 6r or 6n seems close.
That's what I always wanted - real standard bike with high handlebars relative to seat - even the Suzuki GS500 handlebars kill my wrists.
Very refreshing look from the heavy styled cruisers or all that plastic on the sport bikes.
I think I have a dealer close to my place that sells some Guzzi's, going to ask if they have some brochures.

Two thumbs up for the looks alone, if nothing else!
Somerset

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 - "Gertrude"

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/1/2005 6:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Somerset, the bike does "twist" from torque, but apart from sitting at lights, where you can actually get the bike to move left to right a couple of inches, you can't notice it riding.

It doesn't seem fragile to me at all, BTW.

It's also a decent light tourer- put a some saddle bags, a bungeed tent and you could easily camp for a couple of days.

I like the style too, but some of the old guzzisti think it looks like Sonic the Hedgehog! They're kinda right.

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 8/1/2005 6:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love to read about bikes besides race replicas and monster cruisers. So I really enjoyed reading the article. But I'm not sold on the Breva.

The dealer that services my Suzuki sells the big four plus Moto Guzzi. So I see Brevas every few months. There are actually a fair number of Moto Guzzi's in central Ohio. And yes, they are very beautiful. And YES, it is one of the most romantic marques. It is easy to imagine a fading black-and-white photo of a guy with an unfiltered Lucky Strike, astride his beloved Le Mans. I would love to be convinced that the Breva is a viable motorcycle for daily transport. But I remain unconvinced for these reasons~

1) If you go to powersportsnetwork.com, you will find that about 1/3 of the mg reviews are negative. The reviewers slam the quality, reliability, and ESPECIALY the availability of parts.

2) I went to an mg website and most of the threads discussed problems with the bikes. Many of the problems were horrifying. One guy lost an engine because they left metal shavings from the milling process in the cylinders!

3) In another publication I read a Breva 1100 review. Like most bike reviews it was pretty much a paid ad. However, the author did mention that they are still using the ancient machine tools in the same factory (although Aprilia provided technical guidance on the design).

4) The last time I had my bike serviced, the guy in front of my was arguing with the mechanic because his NEW Nevada leaked oil. And what did the mechanic say?? "Oh, they all leak oil..."

There are other bikes available with alot of heritage. For example, the Bonneville and the Sportster. I toured H-Ds new factory in Kansas last Christmas. It was truely amazing...so quiet, so clean...really it looked like a biomedical lab. And when you see Harleys on the floor, the detail work is amazing! The Bonneville is also a respectable machine. It has alot of good reviews on powersportsnetwork.com.

The bottom line is that HD or Triumph would get my money before MG.

CometRider
'05 Yamaha FZ6

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 357

Posted 8/2/2005 11:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the new Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 is the most beautiful bike i've ever seen - in pictures anyway.

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 8/2/2005 1:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Any actual owners care to comment on what sort of mileage they're seeing?

Newbodometer: 670.0 miles

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/2/2005 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Highways 55mph+
Twisties through mountains 50 mph
Through town 47-48mph.

It'll go 150 miles before the gas light comes on, and I probably have a bit more than a gallon left.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/2/2005 5:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kierrr said...
I own one, and I'll say everything in the article is spot on- except-

No one should pay the list of $7900, I paid about $6800 and there is a post today on the Guzzi website saying they're selling for $5500- a true steal if true.

$5500 is a crazy deal. $7900 not so much. That's the same money as a Duc Monster S2R. I just noticed that my local (and only) LA dealer seems to have dropped the brand. At least on their web site they do not list Moto Guzzi anymore (losangelesyamaha.com). If this is true, then the next closest is Orange County... confused I mean, it's not like I'm out in the sticks here! LA has to be one of the biggest motorcycle markets in the world, if Guzzi aren't here then it's not a good sign.

I want to leave this planet the way I entered it, being held upside down naked and spanked by a nurse.

CometRider
'05 Yamaha FZ6

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 357

Posted 8/2/2005 5:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
my dealership used to carry moto guzzis too until last year. i'll have to ask them why they stopped next time i'm in.

Somerset
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 8/3/2005 9:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With an engine configuration like this it seems that crash bar is must, at least for a newbie.
I wonder if they sell a hearth-shaped one ;-) (when looked from front)

Somerset

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/3/2005 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I put one on immediately.
It was about $100, and the bar runs parallel to the cylinder head before diving down to the frame.

It looks pretty good as it is the same color as the cooling fins.

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 8/3/2005 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kierrr said...
I put one on immediately.
It was about $100, and the bar runs parallel to the cylinder head before diving down to the frame.

It looks pretty good as it is the same color as the cooling fins.
Hey, how was your ride to Vegas?

Martin

"Yeah, That's the life for me, Marge:  Cruisin' and hasslin' shopkeepers!" 

2001 Triumph Thunderbird: "Queen Bess"

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/3/2005 3:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Never went- I had a wild weekend here, had to work and my buddy that I knew was going had to bail also.
So, maybe come fall I'll go on a mid-week.

I am going to Sturgis this weekend for a few days- any interest? ;-)

Somerset
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 8/3/2005 5:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went today and saw this bike at my local shop. It was 2004 model with some extra bugs splattered all over the windshield.
Squized between other bikes and on centrestand (this made it look taller and less elegant) it doesn't look as striking as on the stock photo, looks a bit shorter - probably because I was looking down at it.
Still, great looking bike. If it wasn't 9K (CAD) for a used one, I would have probably though about it.
They lease them though - only about $110/month, which sounds a lot better.

Cheers,
Somerset

Reg
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 277

Posted 8/4/2005 1:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am interested in what is happening with MG in the US. They didnt import any 2005 models. If they don't import the '06 models I guess we can write them off?

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 8/4/2005 7:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ah, Guzzi - beloved but disheveled, just how I like my women. A short history of its recent years, best I can remember, is like an Italian opera.

Guzzi was in a lot of trouble about six years ago, with a stale product line and an antiquated factory. With its storied history and nameplate, both Ducati and Aprilia looked to take it over. Aprilia, flush with cash from strong scooter sales, ended up buying the company and proceeded to dump a bunch of cash into Guzzi's old factory at Madello del Lario in Italy and began developing new product.

Then the bottom of the lucrative European scooter market fell out, and together with Aprilia's overly ambitious and expensive MotoGP project, Aprilia fell on tough times. Both Guzzi and Aprilia limped along while a couple of manufacturers battled for ownership, and their dealers were left struggling. Ducati again failed to buy Guzzi, and it was Piaggio, another big scooter company, who ended up owning the Aprilia/Guzzi group.

Flash forward to today, and both Aprilia and Guzzi now have the funding to move forward to develop new products. I predict exciting new bikes from both companies in the next few years, but then again, I'm a sucker for Italian operas.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/5/2005 5:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The new Breva 1100 should hit dealers in September- I believe they have already left the factory.

The Griso, should be here in spring- and will hit European dealers this year (they already have the big Breva)

Write-ups on all the new bikes have been great, so I'm not too worried about Guzzi, it really comes down to whether you have a committed local dealer or are willing to do the work yourself. (Most parts are not difficult to get, and FedEx sure makes the world a smaller place.)

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 8/5/2005 10:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kierrr said...

I am going to Sturgis this weekend for a few days- any interest? ;-)
Unfortunately my schedule's kind of full.  My brother's getting married tomorrow and on Monday I have to take him and his new bride to the airport, then on Friday I take the MPRE (Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam), another test I have to pass in order to practice law.  Finally this coming weekend (12-14 Aug) I have National Guard, so it looks like I won't be able to do Sturgis this year. 

Honestly, though, that's not a big deal to me.  Sturgis is quite a spectacle, one that everyone should see at least once just to see it.  ca. 400,000 bikes and 600,000+ people in a little mountain town like that is something that mere words (or even pictures) can't describe. 

But to me it wouldn't be worth it unless I had planned in advance and gotten camping/hotel (or whatever) reservations so I could enjoy the "night life".  Since I didn't, I'm only missing the crowds and the demo rides. 

The scenery up there is nice (Mt. Rushmore, the Custer area, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Badlands, Devil's Tower, etc.) but really this is the worst time of year to see them.  It's impossible to enjoy the ride because all the roads are heavily crowded with bikes, which makes riding a little hairy.  Living where we do, we can pretty much ride up to that region anytime we want when it's not crowded and it's much more enjoyable (at least to me, since I'm a lot more about the riding than I am about the partying.) 

And incidentally, there will be demo rides at the Copper Mountain MC event in 2 weeks, and I definitely plan on going.  It would be great if we could get some other MCUSA riders, maybe Sean's leg will be healed up by then and he can ride again, and maybe we can get CSUHusker to go with us.  Should be a good time and a fairly easy ride over I-70, maybe loveland pass, and then straight to Copper. 

Martin

"Yeah, That's the life for me, Marge:  Cruisin' and hasslin' shopkeepers!" 

2001 Triumph Thunderbird: "Queen Bess"

Kierrr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 8/7/2005 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm in for Copper Mt. Do you know which day?

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/7/2005 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin flogged out a good post on Aprilia & Moto Guzzi. Not as far back, in history like Ferggie Anderson being the Captain of the impressive GP Road Racing team. Still he did hit on reasons of why best to be sure that whoever handles the Guzzi will be around for some time & is getting good support with the Italian firm.

Here in many parts of Cdn it is hard to have a m/c shop last more then seven yrs. Like Honda in '00 was owned by a Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, & KTM shop only to fold up in May of '00 being a month after I purchased me Honda 929 which does sort of point out that even with good makers the retail shop is financially deep in trouble. Also the same yr that a recall was put out on the Honda 929 due to a fuel line being to short along with a clutch fragging. You should have seen my e-mail going to Honda here in Cdn.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Scott58
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 499

Posted 8/14/2005 8:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I looked at that bike before i decided on the S50. Nice bike. It was more a dealer location issue then anything else. I'd have to take a day off every time I got it serviced.

05 Honda Rebel
05 Suzuki S50
04 Spitfire Cub-24

BigCountry
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 800

Posted 8/14/2005 8:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sweet bike, priced right too. Heck what does the 05 SV go for - 6-7k at least? For 1k more you could have a Guzzi, nuff said.
:)

2000 Virago 250

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 2/5/2007 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just rode a used 04 Breva 750. Really fun, sweet bike. Thinking about getting it to keep my Duc company. Handles much better and has a much smoother engine than the V11 Le Mans and Sport that I rode. Those bikes vibrate like you put your finger in a light socket, and resist turning because the rear tire feels too wide for the chassis. While the Breva has less hp, it is so much nicer a package that it is a no brainer IMO. Plus I still have the Duc for more "spirited" rides.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 2/6/2007 11:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Been riding the Breva 1100 lately. Nice bike and a great cruiser that looks like a standard.

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor