Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2005 BMW R1200RT  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
34 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

cement head
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/2/2008 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thank you

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 10/2/2008 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We aims to please CH.

Stick around here and chime in with your obvious high level of experience.

I came here a little over a year ago in the market for a BMW F800ST which motoUSA was one of the first to review and which I bought, and love, (had a BMW K75S before that which I loved also), and the folks here were invaluable with answers to my questions.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/2/2008 2:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have owned a Wing 1800, and have ridden a few BMW R12RT.
Here's my take..
The Wing had a much smoother, quicker revving and torquier engine. Really easy to launch w/ the feeling that the clutch can take any kind of abuse. Much smoother gearbox. No vibes anywhere. At speed the bike 'feels' quicker/faster than the RT.
The BMW - much much better suspension. I thought the Wing's suspension was really harsh given that it is meant to be a luxo boat. Similar handling but the BMW is lighter so is a bit better, plus it has quite but more cornering clearance. The BMW vibes at certain rpms, not as bad as the pre 1200cc motors but not in the same ball park as the Wing's super smoothness. The Wing's flat 6 motor sounds fantastic compared to the BMW's sewing machine sound.
The BMW has an ace adjustable windshield which is much better than the item on the Wing. Bigger gas tank + better fuel economy = better range on the BMW. Wing's seat is perfect IMO stock, you need to change the seat on the BMW.
If I was going to do it again, I'd get the BMW just because I already had the Wing. But go test ride or even better rent a BMW so you can find out for yourself.
Good luck

Børk! Børk! Børk!

cement head
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/2/2008 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I love my Wing, but I've had it for 7 years and am ready to try something different. I don't mind changing, I just don't want to lose performance. I guess I'm spoiled. The Wing has gobs of power and at speed it handles really well and it is sooo comfortable. I'd like to try something lighter. I'm a little tired of 850 lbs. Do you think the RT is good for 700 mile days?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/2/2008 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yah the Rt is good for 700 mile days. Just change the seat (and check the oil often, some are oil burners). And you may miss not having a reverse gear.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

yaron
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/29/2011 12:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all
I own a 2010 RT with 7k miles on it.
loving every circeling of the wheels
owned a 2001 1150RT before and it is a huge differance.
best bike i rode in my 21 years of motorcycling.
yaron

only motorcyclist knows why a dog reach it's head out the car window...

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 11/30/2011 1:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Google bombing at its' finest. Welcome aboard Yaron.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/1/2011 5:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very few BMW R series engines are oil burners, that is a myth about these bikes. At least for any of the reasons people think a bike uses oil. BMW uses a very hard cylinder coating applied to the aluminum cylinder bores after the final machining to provide the right cross-hatch pattern. That pattern insures extremely long wear, but the coating can cause some oil usage until the piston rings wear in properly. That usually takes place within the first 5,000 miles of the bike's life. On my BMW I started using synthetic oil at the 3,000 mile mark and it used no oil.

Beyond initial ring break in, BMW flat-twin R series engines use very little oil. My 94 BMW R1100RS now has almost 165,000 miles on it, runs great, uses NO oil between the oil changes which I do every 5,000 miles, and I have never opened up the engine for service. I have heard of BMW twin engines with well over 300,000 on the original engine and rings, which still show the cross-hatch pattern in the cylinders.

I recently had a customer come into the BMW shop I work at part time. He was considering a R1200RT, never owned a BMW before. He said he heard from some "experienced" rider he knew, the BMW twins use oil and he was concerned about that. I pointed to my bike, said, "there is my 94 BMW I have been riding since Oct 94 now with over 160,000, and it uses no oil that I can tell. Doesn't leak one drop. Doesn't smoke. Neve had to open the engine for sevice. I'd ride it right now to California and back without a second thought."

He bought the bike.  

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 12/2/2011 3:45:20 PM GMT

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 12/1/2011 7:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup yup.

When my R11ooR got it's left cylinder shattered by a car last summer I got a new cylinder + head + valve cover off of Ebay. Pulled the broken stuff off, made a "ring compressor" out of a hose clamp and some shimstock and stuck 'er on there. Looks good & runs good. Smashed cylinder had 55K miles on it and looked new,,, except for that whole "Smashed" part or course.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.