Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2006 Yamaha Roadliner - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
232 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 2/21/2006 10:55 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
J.R. said...
Some times you look at somebody's job and think what a cool job that guy has, till you have to do it that is, I know that when I read your article in the mag, Kev,, I read with great interest on the things you say, I know if I had to write about it I would draw a blank, so nice job you have and you do it well looking forward to your review on the Strato Kev.

J.R., I'm impressed at your ability to see beyond the glory of riding the latest and greatest new bikes, recognizing there's a lot more that goes into making a durable and respected publication. Still, it is the best job in the world, so no complaints here.

J.R. said...
Kev. I was going to ask if you seen Catherine Bell sitting on the Roadliner at the Yamaha party I think it was and if so did you talk to her and does she ride a bike of her own?
Ms. Bell is a real motorcyclist, and the Roadliner preview was just one of several motorcycle functions I've seen her at. Not sure what she rides, though I'm sure she has a few to choose from. She's real nice to talk to, and she might be even prettier in person than she is in pictures like this one we got at the Roadliner preview.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

J.R
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 23

Posted 2/21/2006 11:35 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks for the reply and the links Kev.

Had downloaded them last week though, I think I have just about every photo on the roadliner and the strato I could find in your mag and from any place I could find them.

People might think it's easy to ride a new bike and do a review of it, but the thing is, would anybody read it and to do it week after week without sounding like the same old story each time, now that is skill.

Just wondering kev. what is your ride when you are not working?

Cheers J.R

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 2/21/2006 3:36 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
J.R. said...
When I'm not working? Hmmm, now when is that...? Actually, I've got a 1992 Ducati 900SS that is slightly hopped up. I love it, but it is neglected thanks to the steady stream of new bikes rolling through here. However, it brings a smile to my face in a way no other sportbike can. Cruisers are cool in a different way, and the 'Liners are some of the best.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/25/2006 6:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
J.R. said...
When I'm not working? Hmmm, now when is that...? Actually, I've got a 1992 Ducati 900SS that is slightly hopped up. I love it, but it is neglected thanks to the steady stream of new bikes rolling through here. However, it brings a smile to my face in a way no other sportbike can. Cruisers are cool in a different way, and the 'Liners are some of the best.

I think you are so right about that Kev, It don't mater what you are riding, just as long as it brings a smile to your face while you are on board.

Cheers J.R

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/25/2006 6:28 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Don't know if this has come up in the past, it must have, but I was at the dealers today and I was asking the sales guy about cleaning my new roadliner when I get it, he said he get's this spray cleaner in from Germany and he said that the guys use it on all the bikes in the showroom to keep them looking like a new penny.

The thing is that it cost's like $10 for a small can of this stuff.

Now I have an old Honda 750k that is in my garage and when I got it way back in 79, the dealer back then said I could use Pledge furniture polish on it as this was what was used on the bikes in his showroom back then and I did for years, I would clean it with water and a wash cloth and if it was dirty a bit of car soap in the water, after I washed it and dried it I would spray the bike with the pledge, the chrome, tank and the seat.

My old bike looks like it has just come out of the show room, the seat is nice and soft still and the rest of the bike also looks mint.

Now I did want to do the right thing for my new roadliner, so I was thinking of using the pledge on the liner also, am I doing the right thing or would I be better off with the stuff that is made for bikes from the dealer.

If anybody has an opinion, I would love to hear it.

Cheers J.R

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 2/25/2006 9:08 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love my Ducati and keep it spotless in the garage. I would never clean it with anything that could risk damaging it. If your bike had "real" dirt on it, i.e not just shmutz, dust and a couple of bugs then a soapy bath is needed. If it just needs a wipe down, then I've used Honda Spray Polish Cleaner (excellent and about $6/can), Pledge (not as good but end result is the same) and I've found that the Pledge copy at the 99cent store is great too! Key thing is to use a clean terry cloth towel, and turn it over once it starts to dirty. $10/can for a spray cleaner is unnecessary and the dealer must be making a huge profit on that!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/26/2006 9:55 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi Des.

Thanks for the reply and good information to keep in mind and this was $10 canadian Des, so it would be less in the states.

I was reading in the owners manual that I downloaded form the Yamaha site that you should keep a plastic bag over the exhaust pipe when you are washing it, I have never done this before and did not even think about it, but I guess you don't want water getting it the exhaust pipe, I wonder if anybody really goes to the trouble of doing this.

I also use nu-finnish wax on my truck and find this is a great wax, takes a bit longer to put the paste on then buff off though, I guess with the spray it's a quick spray on then wipe it off.

Always looking for a shortcut to get the job done.

Cheers J.R

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/28/2006 5:24 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just looking at the owners manual on the weekend and noticed it said to use a gas with an octaine rating of 91 or higher and when I was at the dealers on sat. I asked the sales guy and he said I could use regular gas to start with and if it did not run right I could then put a higher rated gas in, but he thought it would run fine on the regular.

Any thoughts on this, is that sound advice I was given?

Anybody have any luck with regular gas in the roadliner.

Just what I would need is to run regular gas and find I had engine damage as a result.

Cheers J.R 

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/1/2006 2:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
J.R., the reason a highter octane fuel is specified is because the engine might experience a condition called pre-ignition with lower octane fuel. Also called knocking or detonating, this condition is caused by the intake charge igniting before the spark plug fires and can damage the engine over time. This is dependent on many things, but largely because of an engine's compression ratio. Pre-ignition is most evident when grabbing a handful of throttle at lower revs when the engine is lugging. If you don't experience a "pinging" or "knocking" sound from the engine, then no damage is being done with the grade of fuel you are using. This condition is lessened at higher altitudes and smaller throttle openings. My advice: Run the 91 octane and alleviate the condition altogether.

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 3/1/2006 4:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi Kev.

Boy, thanks for the high test information.

I did think it best to run with the Yamaha recomendations, so if the 91 is good for the bike is a higher rating better still like say 94, or is this just a waste of money now.

I think it said you can run with 91 or higher, but did not say if it was better to run higher.

While I'm thinking about a reply, I was just woundering is one gas station better than the other

I know that addatives are but in by some of the gas companies, should you stay away from one and use another only?

Thanks again Kev. great information as you would hate to damage your engine on your new ride that you had to sell the farm fo just to save a few bucks on gas.

Cheers J.R

ps

Any idea when your review of the Stratoliner will be out?

Would be much the same as the Roadliner, I would think.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/2/2006 7:37 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
J.R. said...
so if the 91 is good for the bike is a higher rating better still like say 94, or is this just a waste of money now.
If an engine never exhibits pre-ignition with a certain grade of fuel, then spending more on a higher octane fuel is a waste of money. Higher-octane pump gas doesn't generate any extra power unless the engine it is run in has a knock sensor and sophisticated electronics that back down ignition timing if pre-ignition is present. This is currently more common in cars than it is in motorcycles, but as engine computers get smaller and  more powerful, this is gradually changing. One more note: Race fuel will yield a few extra horsepower.

J.R. said...
While I'm thinking about a reply, I was just woundering is one gas station better than the other
That's a tough one to answer. Yes, is the short answer. Finding consistent and repeatable differences in power among gas stations is difficult, as most gas starts as a base stock and then is modified by the individual additives each gas company adds.

J.R. said...

Any idea when your review of the Stratoliner will be out? Would be much the same as the Roadliner, I would think.

Because the Stratoliner is much like the Roadliner, several other tests have taken priority. We'll get our ride review of the Strato up when we have a bit of a break. Sorry it's taken so long.

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 3/2/2006 3:58 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kev, thanks very much for the reply posting, you are a wealth of information and it's all great to keep in mind.
I know with my F-150 I just go with the gas station that has the best price when I need a fill up, but I would think this should not be done with my new roadliner when I get it.

I was thinking to go with Sunoco gas with the 91 octane and if it work's good in my ride I would just use this gas and not mix it with any gas from another station.

I was out looking at new helmet's on the weekend as my 25 year old Bell helmet just didn't look up to the job, so I thought, new bike new helmet.

The dealer I go to had Shark helmets and boy did the ones she had on display look good, so I had a look at the web site and liked the RSR-2 Foggy Legend, had a run back to the dealers and asked about the Shark helmet I found on the web site the lady I was talking with said very nice helmet andshe thought it was a top drawer choice, so I asked her to work out a price for me and she said she had it already, man I almost fell over when she told me, but what the heck it was a very nice helmet and it fit great and the graphics look cool also, so I had her order me one.

Got it the other day and love it, just need the bike now.

Cheers J.R

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
shark_rsr2_foggylegend(blacksilver)_big.jpg
  9KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 164 time(s).

Waltster
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 22

Posted 3/17/2006 12:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I Have a new stratoliner , yes I like the way it handles & cornors , ain't draged boards yet . Just put Roadhouse muffler on "Rose" , like it not to loud but if I turn it on make some noise .  and I get to keep the exp valve .  can tell no difference with or without muffler (lot of times you lose when you go louder) .  I got short windshield ...to short , so it appers I'll have to cut down the stock one , (it came with the mideaum one , not tall one I was led to belive was on it stock)  Also I've had rear boards on most of my bikes , my lady thought she would be ok with pegs but after a few rides she missed her boards , stoped at my dealer and suprise he had em on hand , got em on and she's happy .  Saddle bags have a few problems , leather on my bags was loose right from the start and thay are not water tight . and yes thay are small ,  Got recall letter on bag locks , dealer said it was only if I had problems ...The biggie bad thing is seat , it's to dam long , think I my bend backrest foward and change to Corbin seat , plan to go over to Daytona and try a few different ones at Corbins store . And yes it's fast on the street for so big a bike .    Keep on keeping on   Waltey

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/17/2006 1:37 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Waltey, and welcome to the board!

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 3/25/2006 10:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Waltster said...
 Just put Roadhouse muffler on "Rose" , like it not to loud but if I turn it on make some noise .  and I get to keep the exp valve .  can tell no difference with or without muffler (lot of times you lose when you go louder) .
Hey Walt
Thanks for the post, do you have any photos you can post yet, was going to ask you about the stock muffler, did you not like the one that was on the bike and it sounds like the new one is about the same.

So if you can't tell any difference would you recomend keeping the stock pipe??
I hope to get my Roadliner Midnight in a couple of weeks now.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers J.R

IPraiseIAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 8

Posted 3/26/2006 10:27 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree, the seat is too long. I would like to try the Corbin but I was interested in gel seats. The Corbin's only come in foam. I am concerned on a long ride, my bum may get sore. I like to take long rides and have no experience with the Corbin foam. Anyone have any experience on long rides with the Corbins verses gel.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 3/27/2006 10:09 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Generally, Corbins often feel too firm at first, but then break in according to your butt to become comfy over the long haul. Remember, a softer seat doesn't necessarily make for a more comfortable one.

dard.
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 4/5/2006 8:58 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
J.R said...
so if the 91 is good for the bike is a higher rating better still like say 94, or is this just a waste of money now.

I have noticed some convenience stores that sell gas around here discontinue selling 91 and higher octane. Just regular gas now, and all of their pumps are busy.

Where as before hurricane Katrina and the spike in gas prices they sold 89 and 92 octane.

Should this happen nation wide, I guess we will have to carry some octane booster from the auto parts stores to add during fillups. Not exactly a pleasent thought.

fxstein
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 11

Posted 4/8/2006 9:39 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Put over 3k miles on mine so far and could not be happier. Yes it is a customizers dream bike. Yamaha did a lot of things right with this one. Could it be better - sure. I'd like to see that ugly wire loom on the right neck gone for good. But other than that its an awesome basis for a great custom. I have been building Warrior customs for some 3 years and Yamaha has learned a lot and took it to the Roadliner. The fact that you can convert this thing to a 240 without breaking a sweat, get some really nice power gains just with pipes and BAK, hiding most of the ugly but necessary sensors and components. And it sure has one of the nicest engines out there. This pushrod, air cooled powerplant beats almost anything else out there in terms of looks.
Its a nice package, easy to work on, feel light when you ride it and it fast - surprisingly fast for many.

Ride safe!

Oliver
www.fxstein.com/blog

www.fxstein.com/blog

Post Edited (fxstein) : 4/8/2006 5:46:28 PM GMT

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/12/2006 5:51 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys
Got my roadliner midnight late last night, the dealer had some trouble with the passing light bar I had asked him to order for me, he also had my roadliner on the dynamometer and he did a controled break-in for me.

I did get a print out and it shows 84 hp at about 4500 rpm, he also said he was very impressed with the bike and the output of the motor.

It was after 8pm when he dropped it off at my house and it was too dark for me to take it for a run, so I just put it in the garage and put the lights on too see how it looked with the new light bar, boy what a different look it just makes the bike, lights on or not and you can switch them off right from a built in switch next to the kill switch.

Just my luck that we have had rain all day, so I will have to wait just a bit longer to get a ride on her.

Cheers J.R

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 4/12/2006 6:51 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congrats on the new wheels, J.R.! Post a pic when you get a chance. BTW, I'll have my First Ride impressions of the Stratoliner up on Monday.

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/13/2006 1:49 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks Kev.

Will see if I can post some shots I took of the guys in the shop taking my bike out of the crate.

Looking forward to the write up on the Stratoliner.

Cheers J.R

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate004_edited-1.JPG
  55KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 199 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate023_edited-1.JPG
  71KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 228 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate049_edited-1.JPG
  84KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 204 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate081_edited-1.JPG
  67KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 210 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate091_edited-1.JPG
  89KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 289 time(s).

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/13/2006 1:52 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Just a couple more you guys might like.

Cheers J.R

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate092_edited-1.JPG
  84KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 211 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Out of the Crate094_edited-1.JPG
  81KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 225 time(s).

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 4/13/2006 7:04 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This Midnight version of the Roadliner is a bit reminiscent of a (big) Vincent Rapide - cool ride!

J.R
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/13/2006 12:56 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My First Ride on the Midnight.hop
Set of just before lunch time and it's just 1 km and past a highschool to the main road, so far so good.
Took a minute to get the feel of the stop and go and how much gas to give her, but she was very easy to ride and I could feel that it had lots of get up and go just in that first km.

Got to the main road with no trouble, made the turn and had gone to the next set of lights and had to stop, no trouble, then just as the light turned green this cop in a cruiser had pulled up behind meshocked, great I thought, just what I need to get pulled over the first 5 minutes on the new bike, he followed me for about 5 km's and I made a turn and he just kept on going and that was fine with me.

Took a lot of side roads and it was mostly farming land, so not a lot of other traffic on the road and I kept it under 50km for the most part of the way up north.

Put about 70km Stopped at a Tim Hortons for a large coffee and a bit of a rest and had lots of people looking at my ride on the way through the drive through, got back on the road and turned her east for the main highway and home, the turn onto the highway was a very wide turn and I had it in 3rd and just give it the gas, boy did I have to hold on and then I got into the straight of the road and put it in 4th and then 5th and I was at 100km in no time at all.

Most of the ride back is straight and you can run 80km most of the way, the odd small town you come throught you have to drop to 40km and had a few lights also.

A nice ride back with rolling hills and not a lot of other cars on the two lane black top most of the way.

I did come down one hill and had to open at the bottom just to see how she did coming up the other side of the hill, hit 120km about half a km up the other side of the hill and it was still pulling when I backed off.

Just a note on the stock muffler, I think it's just fine and has just the right note when you idle and also sounds great when you are on the gas and also I found it has a very nice rummble to it when on the gas.

So my first ride was a nice mix of roads and also a run on a gravel side road full of pot holes that I did not plan on, so I will say that my first 140km ride was a big two thumbs up. 

Cheers J.R