Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2005 Boss Hoss - Quick Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
144 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 11/14/2005 10:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sure the V-8 is an American icon, but in a motorcycle? Peter Jones took a ride on the gargantuan Boss Hoss. Read up and then tell us what you think.

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/14/2005 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think i feel the hung like a brahma Yosemite Sam coming out in me....Oooooooooooh ya lungeared galootnik gimme one a dem!!!  yeah

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/14/2005 10:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That thing is too damn heavy. A motorcycle over 1000 pounds? Screeeeeeeew that!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Jay Mack
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 497

Posted 11/14/2005 12:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, there's quite a bit more I'd like to know.  For one thing, how does the 454 compare to the 350?  I mean, you're stuck with having to get the Big Block or you're a punter, aren't you? Are there aluminium engine options that have a beneficial lightening effect? If it makes such an intimidating a sound, how is it street legal?

'At high-speed, when the Hoss is shifted up during a full-throttle run, in that short moment while the torque converter spins back up and the bike is between gears the torque of the engine is no longer dampened. This causes the machine to suddenly rotate over to the right, convincing the rider to quickly correct and pull the bike back up to the left with a hard push on the bars.'  What the hell does that mean? 'Rotates to the right'? Along which axis? Do you die?

This isn't the review article about the fastest thing on two wheels that's 'superceding' the 2006 Victory Kingpin review I was promised for a Christmas present, is it? I mean, this is a diverting story, but I'm very disappointed if that's it. I mean, Boss Hoss's not really a motorcycle? 

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download
 the highest resolution version available.

x2468
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 1183

Posted 11/14/2005 1:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow, thats alot of power and torque. ive been curious about v-8 cruisers ever since i found v-8cruisers.com. i`d like to see 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4
Kawasaki Kx250

You don't stop riding cuz you get old, you get old cuz you stop riding. ride till you die.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/14/2005 2:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jay Mack said...

Well, there's quite a bit more I'd like to know.  For one thing, how does the 454 compare to the 350? 

454? Thats a kid's motor; the large Boss Hoss has a 502!!! smilewinkgrin

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 11/14/2005 2:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jay Mack you raise some good points...as a rider of a big cruiser I do notice that there are engine and chassis dynamics that are unique to these types of bikes and probably caused by the effect of torque...to wit, I find that I have to feather the clutch in order to smoothly negotiate a turn after rapid downshifting...i cant imagine how a machine with 500 ftlb of torque would cope with situations you frequently encounter during street riding.

MoToRmOnKeY R6
Screaming Wennie

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 142

Posted 11/14/2005 5:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow can any one say gas milage? :)

-Grant

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 11/14/2005 5:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing that keeps me coming back to this site is the journalists' honesty and humor. You won't find those things in the pages of CycleWorld. When I read "I could be very happy knowing and showing that I am emperor big-Dick" I laughed out loud. That sentiment has sold alot of motorcycles.

Now, I do have a question about this machine. Does it have motorcycle tires with curvy sides? If it had automotive tires, that would make it much harder to control.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

JackfromBerkeley
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 10

Posted 11/16/2005 10:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I demo rode one of these too. In a straight line, it was big fun. It got to 130 in a couple of seconds and had a lot left. It was a hot day, and the heat from the engine and radiator made my leather riding suit fill with perspiration.

The sensation was like riding a giant bomb. It was five feet wide. It was like Slim Pickins riding the h-bomb in the movie Doctor Strangelove: Yeee Haaaah! I live on a curvy road and the Boss Hoss is simply not for that, so I got a Super Blackbird which was also way too fast but in a much more useful way.

I think one of these Boss Hosses could be made to break the motorcycle land speed record if proper attention was paid to its aerodynamics. Streamliners tend to tumble; I thought stubby little wings, located amidship, could lift downwards, allowing much more power to be applied, which has been the limiting factor to date, keeping motorcycle record speeds less than half the speeds of cars, whether wheel or thrust driven. That would be a relatively cheap way to go, say, 500 miles per hour in a pupose-built vehicle, or approaching 300 on a converted Boss Hoss.

Around my part of the world, desert lake beds get usefully dry in late summer and fall, so speed runs also race the winter rains. A winged Boss Hoss would be fun to run at Bonneville or El Mirage or the Black Rock. Riding it would be like flying an airplane very low. I thought aerodynamic controls would be a lot more effective at speed than normal gyro precession steering. I think the rider would have to also be a pilot. I usually fly a hotrod experimental RV-6 which I think would be good practice for such a potential Pegasus project.

Would there be anyone out there similarly stoked by the idea of a winged Hoss? We have at least one rider volunteer so far. Sponsorship would include low flying lessons. I think the motorcycle land speed record would not be out of reach.

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 11/16/2005 11:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If there is some definable line between "proper motorcycle" and "ridiculous contraption", the Boss Hoss crossed it going 120 mph and never looked back.

I have only seen one in the flesh once, and it was atrocious.

I guess there are some people in the world who don't feel enough of a clown just dressing like a Hell's Angel and riding a Harley. You can always go further.

I can't complain...but sometimes I still do.
Life's been good to me so far.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 11/16/2005 12:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

As much as I'd like the idea of a V-8 motorcycle, a cast iron Chevy leaves me cold as a motivator.  Not that I don't like the engine itself, I own a V-8 Chevy myself and it's really simple, durable, and inexpensive due to the fact that bazillions have been made since the 50's.

But as a motorcycle, I'd much prefer an aluminum V-8, and mounted as a sidewinder the way a motorcycle should be so it doesn't want to torque steer. Case in point:

Or perhaps even this: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/kawv12/

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500 "Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
V8-Kwacker2.jpg
  128KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 3978 time(s).

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 11/16/2005 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I'd like a ride on one. What a laugh! Six times the size of my car engine proves that too much is never enough.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 11/16/2005 10:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YellowDuck said...

I guess there are some people in the world who don't feel enough of a clown just dressing like a Hell's Angel and riding a Harley. You can always go further.
....to say nothing of what the late Indian Larry would have done with this thing.  Now were ole Lar still with us, I bet he'd have cleaned up the Hoss' clownish pretensions right quick.  Sugar cane frame, bamboo swingarm and grass skirt solo saddle anyone?  Hell's Angel nothing when you've got a ride worthy of Gilligan's Island.   burger

Crazy Rick
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/20/2005 9:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hop  New to this forum, but have owned a Boss Hoss 502ci with NOS for five years. I have about 50,000 miles of cross country riding on it. I also do a few stunt shows on it, trick riding and 500 foot long burnouts from 20mph to about 100mph. High speed runs past 160mph as thats all the speedo reads.lol

Any way, this thing has been rock solid bullit proof reliable.

I have done many hundreds of REAL burnouts with it. Not those girly hold the front brake and stand still kind. I can smoke the tire from a 60mph, try that on any other cruiser. These bikes are bad to the bone but are also real bikes. I ride this thing all over the country. I will never ride anything else as all others just seem like tiny little things after you've been on the BOSS.

At all the big rallys the factory is giving demo rides. Get on one and you will also git it.

Billski
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 11/20/2005 2:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
New to the board... I posted a "hello" message on the "new member postings" area already.

This write-up on the Boss Hoss was great fun for me to read.  Most people just don't get the Boss Hoss, or they criticize it very quickly without giving it a chance to possibly be a viable motorcycle.  Did anyone here know that the first V8-powered motorcycle was produced in the 19th Century???  Why does V8 Power automatically disqualify this machine as a viable cruiser to some?  Who knows.

I love my 2001 502cid powered Boss Hoss Bike!  I've had it in the mountains, on the beach, on gravel and dirt roads, around town and on 8-hour rides.  I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course on it and the instructors wouldn't give me my certificate until I backed the bike up against the far end of the parking lot and smoked the tire all the way to the other side.  This was the DMV parking lot, by the way. 

I have 32,000 miles on it and it has never been dropped, nor has it ever left me on the side of the road.

I "get it".

Billski

P.S.  Ask Jay Leno if he "gets it" if you ever get the chance.

Post Edited (Billski) : 11/22/2005 3:40:21 AM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSC01791.JPG
  1.38Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 361 time(s).

crazymf
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/20/2005 2:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, I've got a ZZ4 350 touring Boss Hoss. Best bike I've ever owned but keep some wrenches with you just in case. It's more like hot rodding than biking somedays. I have no idea how fast it is but 130 in first gear is normal if you twist it and hold it. 135 in 2nd gear is as fast as I've ever went. Last fall on a trip down south I cruised from Gillette to Casper at 100 mph through Wyoming. I repeat, cruised. 80mph is relaxed and normal. A radar detector is useful on a BH. I run a 50 series car tire on the back and many guys do as well. Don't ride one if you can't buy one, because you won't be the same.

To be fair to all doubters, this bike may not be for everyone. As a matter of fact, you don't see a lot of them out there either. Guys that look at them first hand and especially ride one are instantly convinced of the merits though. There's truly no other bike like it on the market.

Check us out over here:
www.v8bikeriders.com/index.php

Post Edited (crazymf) : 11/20/2005 10:01:57 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
rally15.jpg
  59KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 411 time(s).

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 11/20/2005 5:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would never want to own one, but I can appreciate it as one aspect of our sport.

Why not give it a continously variable transmission? That would solve the shifting issue.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

LaMonsterV8
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 18

Posted 11/21/2005 6:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kansas said...
That thing is too damn heavy. A motorcycle over 1000 pounds? Screeeeeeeew that!

I wasn't going to say anything but I rode the Deals Gap this weekend and this is what the guy on the Rocket3 said that rode behind me.

"I really enjoyed the Dragon!!!!!! You can't compare it to the roads in Colorado.... it's very different. Definitely worth the trip. I'm already planning to go back next October!!!!! Very Happy

Riding down the Dragon behind Lamont was a blast! Watching him slice through the Dragon on the "Boss" was like watching Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea - a miracle in motion!!!! He would come out of a turn, twist the throttle and the exhaust filled the air with leaves 20' high!!!!!!!

He can really toss that 1200lbs of bike around!!!!!"

Don't think just because it weighs in at over half a ton that it is any less of a motorcycle then any other cruiser out there. I have had sportbike riders shake my hand and tell me that they had totally changed their mind about the Boss after riding the Gap behind me.

Truth be know, we really don't want too many folks to know what a great bike this is. Right now there are about 4000 of these on the road and if they stopped making them today I would still be a happy man knowing I own the baddest cruiser on the market and I ain't afraid to use it. smilewinkgrin

You can check us out at www.V8BikeRiders.com if you would like to learn more about this bike.

Post Edited (LaMonsterV8) : 11/21/2005 7:57:45 PM GMT

Chopper Dave
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/21/2005 8:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see a lot of negitive comments about the Boss Hoss here, coming mostly from them that have not tried it!  How can you knock it till you try it?  To me that's like saying, "I don't like sex, but I haven't tried it yet!" I think the Boss Hoss is probably not for everyone, but the vast majority of those that have the the nerve to try it, are very pleasantly surprized by how easy and well the Hoss handles.  I felt like I had just graduated to a whole new class of motorcycle. Yes, I to was intimidated by the weight and size of the Hoss, untill I took a test drive.  After only a much to short  ride, (3 or 4 Miles), I didn't want to get off of it.  I bought one on the spot, and have never been sorry!  I have owened 8 Harleys over many years of riding, and I can't knock Harleys, it's just a different ride, kind of like the difference between a Harley & a Gold Wing!  Incidently, I am only 5'5' and will be 62 years old in a couple weeks.  There is no need to be a Gorilla to ride a Hoss.  I will ride my Hoss till I can get my leg over it anymore, and then probably will buy a Boss Hoss Trike.  I think riding the Hoss is better that sex, cause it truely lasts all day!
I do not mean to offend anyone!  But I just had to put my 2 cents worth in! smilewinkgrin

Respectfully,

Chopper Dave

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
MVC-185F.JPG
  88KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1417 time(s).

Bryan W.
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/21/2005 2:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride a Boss Hoss as well as the other guys who have  posted here. After reading all the comments, I really have to re-iterarate: "Don't knock it until you try it". In my 32 years of riding motorcycles: Norton, Kawasaki 750 triple, HD, to name a few, I can say in all honesty that I have never had more fun on a bike than with my Boss Hoss. As soon as I start it up in my garage and the windows start to rattle, my heart rate picks up and I start giggling like a little school girl. Then I start riding and grinning at the same time. The grin never goes away. My bike was a new 2004 and I've got well over 30K miles on it now. I think the engine is just starting to break in. Yesterday was awful hard on that back (car)tire. I don't know what got into me.

LaMonsterV8
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 18

Posted 11/21/2005 4:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
 Seems like all the guys who had something to say about a bike they had never ridden have all disappeared when guys that owned them showed up.rolleyes Maybe a little cylinder envy going on here. freaked :p

www.BigBikeRiders.com

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1328

Posted 11/21/2005 4:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No cylinder envy here. The Hoss ain't for me. But whatever floats your boat is okay as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I doubt I need to ride the Boss to know it's not going to handle anything like any motorcycle I'd like to own. Sure, I bet the engine is fun, but 1200 pounds with almost no ground clearance (from the looks of your action pics) and a car tire on the back? No thanks.

I rode a VTX 1800 (about 850+ lbs., wet) recently and couldn't believe how crappy that thing was doing anything but going straight.

It may work better than many of us would expect, but I seriously doubt it works well enough to change my conception of the what's the right bike for me.

Now, that's not to say I would mind a few high-speed passes...

BossHoss385HP
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 97

Posted 11/21/2005 7:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Guys, I have been a member of this forum for awhile, and there are lots of good people here. I will say this however...like Lamont and all the others said, don't knock the Boss Hoss until you ride it. I have owned many brands through the years, all types, and all sizes. nothing..NOTHING compares with the power, satisfaction and smile factor you get on the Boss Hoss. Handling? No, it's not a crotch rocket...it's a cruiser. But it is much more than capable of hanging with any cruiser I have ridden or saw ridden. Touring? I put 34,000 miles on my first Hoss, and I have had this one for 16 months, and have logged in almost 21,000 miles on it. I ride all the time, in all weather conditions. If it is 15 degrees F or above, I am on the Boss Hoss. If it is raining..I am on the Boss Hoss. I am on it tonight (to and from work, 25 miles each way), and it has been raining cats and dogs for 2 days now, and the temps are now in the 30's. But I will ride home at 6am in the morning...with a smile on my face. People ask why??? It is simply because you have never ridden a Boss Hoss. When you do...you can never go back to another. The "wow" factor, and the "smile" factor cannot be beat with any other bike..period. Again, this is just my opinion...so settle it yourself...go try one out! (Just make sure you take your checkbook with you, because you WILL want to ride it home!).smilewinkgrin
   Mike

"Riding motorcycles is not a hobby...it is a passion!

TJZZ4
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 10

Posted 11/21/2005 9:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

DSC00068.JPG image/pjpeg 141.58Kb
Hi guys...

I too am new here so I really do not mean to offend anyone. The boss hoss is like no other motorcycle in the world... There is a family of owners who "get it" and they are a pretty tight knit group.The loyalty to the brand is undoubtledly unsurpassed even by the harley group. It really is a dependable..fun...exciting ride. You can spend 100,000 on a chopper.... supercharge your valk...turbo your busa... but when you park em in a lot full of bikes then add a boss.. guess what everyone wants to come see and ask questions about.... The boss. I have an 05 385 HP small block with nitrous. 15000 miles this year and no problems.. Mind you I ride it like I stole it. I live in California and the trip to Sturgis this year was an easy cruise for this bike. 500 miles a day is no problem at all. 130 in first... no problem... The torque of the engine is no issue. The boss is so well engineered it almost rides itself.  As far as that goes... my wife rides one too.smile

As a side note... We can go 180 miles on a tank of gas..... Who cares about mileage numbers...

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSC00068.JPG
  142KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 411 time(s).