Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
57 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 1/30/2006 9:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Neale Bayly is at it again, reporting this time from the MotoGP circuit of Sepange in Malaysia on his recent test of Triumph's Daytona 675. Have a read and then sound off on the British firm's new Triple.

Engine No. 9
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 600

Posted 1/30/2006 10:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

It's unbelievable how skinny that bike is!

Sarchi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/30/2006 12:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice job on the writeup, guys..... and excellent pics as always. (was hoping for a video too??)

It'll be very interesting to read how the 675 stacks up in the supersport shootout reports.
cool 

saludos,
Sarchi

Triumph675.Net

Hattori_Hanzo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 255

Posted 1/30/2006 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really wish you had written up a story on how absolutely terrible this machine is. The ergos suck, the engine has no power, it handles like a pig....something bad! Now I have to figure out a way to justify buying one in the next year to the wife! You guys bite....

Hattori_Hanzo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 255

Posted 1/30/2006 1:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh....did I fail to mention that the graphite grey is dead sexy?

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1328

Posted 1/30/2006 2:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, the graphite is really stunning. My throttle hand is twitching madly. My bank account is sweating bullets.

Someone stop me. I'm a menace to my financial well-being.

Might be totally worth it, though.

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 1/30/2006 2:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dr, resist, resist. You just know there's a 1000cc version coming! (by the way, that might not be true but its a great rumour to spread)

I have to admit to a bit of national pride here, so I am biased. But this bike looks brilliant, sounds fantastic and is the product of thinking outside the box. Triumph seem to be making a habit of that and I hope the reality of the bike lives up to the initial reports.

The AT-AT gets so excited on these days out.

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 1/30/2006 3:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You've got it easy. The local dealer used my name to order one because Triumph is only shipping preorders and they know I loved my Daytona 600. The only thing I need is the $$$. I am going to have to tell them I don't want it. I don't think I can.

This while I am trying to buy a F650GS and keep my VFR. Also I have friends visiting from the UK telling me to dump the Honda. Life isn't fair.

I like the red.

Hattori_Hanzo said...
I really wish you had written up a story on how absolutely terrible this machine is. The ergos suck, the engine has no power, it handles like a pig....something bad! Now I have to figure out a way to justify buying one in the next year to the wife! You guys bite....

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 1/30/2006 3:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ian, I happen to be one of the many that believe absolutely that there will be a liter version coming in the next year or two. As Bayly found out (and was revealed in the BIKE preview) the 675 was in development before the old D600 was even released. For many obvious, and some less-obvious, reasons Triumph denied it almost all the way up to the D675 launch (when the bike was outted prematurely by the Spanish press).

Official statements about the demise of the D955i have been very carelfully worded. There's even a rumor that John Bloor himself in a rare interview was very coy about the subject.

There are just too many reasons for Triumph to have a literbike based on the same priciples as the 675, even if it doesn't set the sales figures ablaze.My guess is that they're going to give the D675 the spotlight for the time being, test the concept, build a reputation, and then release the big boy if all goes well. So far, so great.

Until then, I guess I'll continue to enjoy my D955i. It's going to have a place in my garage even if I added another bike...that is until the new big bore Daytona comes along. Eh, I don't know that I can help myself...

God Save the Queen, Hail Britainia, etc., etc.

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 1/30/2006 4:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
M-Pat, how nice of your dealer!!! Talk about getting the fish on the hook.

(P.S. Dump the VFR. It's a really nice bike, but the exquisite pain of the D675 will be worth it. [Evil, psychotic laughter here])

Post Edited (Dr. Bombay) : 1/31/2006 12:32:41 AM GMT

x2468
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 1183

Posted 1/30/2006 4:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I........ Want........ One................

i wanna see the dyno on that baby.

Man, when u said "my lard ass" i thought u were 230lbs. but ur only 180! im in good shape and im 195. man.... got me depressed now. I need to sell my extra orgines to get track competative. you only need one kidney right?

Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4
Kawasaki Kx250

You don't stop riding cuz you get old, you get old cuz you stop riding. ride till you die.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 1/30/2006 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've sat on the D675 and it's a bit too racey for my taste. I'm waiting for the 675cc Speed Triple...

-KD, MCUSA Editor

MoToRmOnKeY R6
Screaming Wennie

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 142

Posted 1/30/2006 6:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
God that bike is really skinny! Its an inch shorter than the new 2006 Yamaha R6. And its an inch less on the mid section. Its the inline 3!!! that bike is paper thin... And that Arrow exaust! it drops 20 lbs! and gains 5hp!!! that stock pipe has to be huge! But that bike is kick ass! and better yet it doesnt have a outrages rpm like most of the superbikes out there. So normal people can ride it. I also like the Tech display :) i think we got an R6 beater! (thats really hard to say cause the R6 is my favorite bike of all time)

-Grant
Yup thats me on my old bike. Can u belive that I cracked the frame in 5 different placed because i slamed into a tree at 25 mph? It wasnt built ford tuff

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 1/30/2006 7:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When OEMs roll out a new bike, we often read several stories about the debut a few weeks later.  The journalists don't agree on everything, but they don't complain much about the overall experience.  The author never says "Gee they took us to an exotic tropical location, let us ride an expensive new bike, and I hated it! I would rather quit being a journalist and go back to my day job..."  Honestly, how could ANYONE be objective under those circumstances?  I'm not condemning mc-usa specifically, I'm just commenting on human nature...it is not surprising that most reviews are complimentary. 

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 1/30/2006 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OhioSteve said...
it is not surprising that most reviews are complimentary
Yeah, it's not surprising, but not for the reason you state.

The fact is, almost any bike made these days is a finely honed marvel of engineering. It's only when testing bikes back-to-back that most flaws surface, not in the vacuum of a press introduction. I've said it before but it's worth repeating: Most riders will believe their bikes are the best of a class if they haven't ridden its competitors. That's not just blind, brand-loyal judgement - it's more an indication of close (sportbikes specifically) each machine is with its rivals. I can think of worse advice to give a prospective buyer than to tell him or her to just pick the one you like the looks of most.

However, that would put me out of a job, so that's why we think our comparison tests are such a useful tool for consumers.  

-KD, MCUSA Editor

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/30/2006 9:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You guys are riding in a tunnel vision - on track and a spin around maybe the blue highways. 95% is office, 5% riding - right? And of those 5, most on the track. Yes, we do too, but most of us 95% road and 5% track. That's a difference.

Try living in our shoes, Sidis, sandal, tennis' - riding in whatever the weather Gods throw at us and that includes in the dark, when the California sun has set, maintenance issues and costs, riding 2Up, how does that bike do for your loved one or the one to be loved - hopefully, paying for the fun/thrill, insurance cost, etc.

I know you don't have the time. You're doing your best and it is pretty good. Maybe if you were able to add some more day-to- day issues, you may find some more differences in them bikes.

There was this UK magazine that tested some new bikes. The test riders included some average riders. THAT was some new perspectives - and more related to us riders.

RedDog
Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me!

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 1/31/2006 12:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
I've sat on the D675 and it's a bit too racey for my taste. I'm waiting for the 675cc Speed Triple...

Oh, I can't wait for that one!  I'm sure it will give me a "special feeling" when I see it.  redface

Also, as regards the liter class Daytona (or would that be "litre-class"?)  why couldn't they just stuff the 1050cc engine currently used by the S3 and Sprint into a Daytona chassis?  Is there something I'm missing?   confused

Martin

"Yeah, That's the life for me, Marge:  Cruisin' and hasslin' shopkeepers!" 

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 1/31/2006 1:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

RedDog, what makes you think 95% of our testing is on the track? We can only wish! Our two sportbike tests usually entail just one day at the track for each, while our seat time on the street is far more extensive.

With regards to using "average" test riders, that's not a bad idea. Not bad unless you consider the several posters on this board who still call out our beloved Korfie for crashing our GSX-R600 in our '04 Supersport Shootout. In all seriousness, it has been our experience that so-called average riders don't have the breadth of experience to submit reliable feedback, often saying things that are directly in opposition to what our experienced testers have to say.

Still, your point is valid in the context of a comparo that involves bikes designed for less-talented riders, so that's something you might keep an eye out for from us. But even then, do we really want a wobbler out there on bikes we are responsible for? I've seen relative newbies that I wouldn't want to ride within 500 feet of, never mind giving them the keys to a $10K bike.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/31/2006 2:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dr. Bombay said...

God Save the Queen, Hail Britainia, etc., etc.

Harumph, it's "Rule Britannia"
:p

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 1/31/2006 7:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I suppose if you're Canadian, Indian, or any number of other ethnicities indigenous to a former British colony, you'd feel that way. Otherwise, it's Hail Britannia, especially in the case of this bike.

Now, back to the point. Have I mentioned that I want one?

Post Edited (Dr. Bombay) : 1/31/2006 2:33:14 PM GMT

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 1/31/2006 7:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Martin, in regards to a 1050 Daytona, it's not gonna happen. It would be taking a half-step back. The 1050 motor (which is based on the D955i motor) is great in the Speed Triple and ST. But the knock on the big Daytona has always been that it's really a more road-focused bike than a race rep. And the "newsest" significant update/redesign is now four years old (they did put the 1050 bottom end on this year's D9955i, but that's not a major improvement). In the world of sportbikes, that's an eternity.

The current generation D955i is, by current literbike standards, more of a racy GT than an all out track weapon. And since I own one, I think that's a fairly accurate description. According to those who've taken it to the track, it actually does really well, but is no match for the current literbikes. The D955i motor is sweet and powerful, but even a 1050 will never make the kind of power that the new liter machines are making. The current chassis is very good, too, but it's bigger (which is good for taller riders) and heavier and not really competitive anymore. Add all those things together and the bike just doesn't sell to a majority of the intended audience. An updated 1050 Daytona based on the current design would only appeal to some of Triumph's existing customer base, and that's not what they're hoping to accomplish. The '05 model only sold around 2000 units.

If you're suggesting that Triumph stuff a 1050 motor into a D675 chassis, well, there's no way that's possible. The 675 was designed around the new engine. It's a completely clean-sheet motor and it's very compact, as is the rest of the bike. But if there is a new big-bore Daytona, you can bet it'll be based on the lessons learned in the 675 program. And that'll be a very good thing.

2Fast4FatGuys
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 10

Posted 1/31/2006 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
it's funny shopping around for this bike and for the new R6. The dealers are acting like they're selling Harley Davidsons - at least here in NY - selling over list, laughing at you when you ask if they have a bike to look at or sit on. it's really disgusting.

neither the R6 or the 675 will be great on the street, unless you live somewhere with no traffic, twisty deserted roads, and no cops. i'd love to get an R6 for track days, but the rest of the time, it would probably be parked. 17,500 rpm on the street - where am i going to be able to enjoy this? at least the 675 should have more torque, but the ergos still don't seem like they'll be useable anywhere but the track.

the italian bikes are pricey and you'd better not crash them - the 1000cc sportbikes are just stupid (even Schwantz says a 600 or 750 is more fun on the track)...........what the hell is a 40 year old guy supposed to buy if he doesn't want to be a pretzel or drop 15 grand for a track bike??????

my conclusion was to buy a 2006 Husqvarna 450SMR motard. yeah, it won't work at bigger, fast tracks, yeah, i have to change the oil every track day, yeah there is no wind protection, but damn, i love the way this thing handles, how much soul it has, how visceral it is to ride. all for less than 7 grand !!!!!

you guys need to do a street legal motard comparo. better yet, a feature on motard vs. 600 cc sportbike - comparo on street and on the track.

and ideally- you should more aggressively supermoto in terms of regular comparos. your recent adventure bike comparo was probably the best thing you've ever done (and a print rag would never be able to delve as deeply as you did). it would be great if you did a motard comparo (all the ktms, gas gas, husky, suzuki, the aprilia, husaberg.......)

i know this is a weird place to post this message - and don't get me wrong, this 675 review is great - it would just be great if the bike manufacturers didn't throw all their technology into bikes that ultimately, have very limited scope of usefulness.

(although motards are pretty narrow in use, so there goes that argument roll )

hell, i wish my husky revved to 17.5K rpm!!!!!!!!

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 1/31/2006 11:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
2Fast - Supermoto is awsome and I agree that bang for the buck those bikes would be hard to beat. Maybe we can round up a pair of moto machines here in the near future and see what we can come up with for some test parameters. Like you said though - back to the point: The Daytona 675 is one beautiful machine and I'm jealous of Neale always getting the flyaway gigs while I'm stuck in the office (In Oregon - rainy-ass Oregon) while he gets another cool stamp on his passport.

RedDog - you hate us dont you? I can tell you hate us. And after all we've been through too...tis a shame.....

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 1/31/2006 2:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Question? Triumph previously wasn't too worried about heat on middle weights. My friends TT600 and my D600 always ran hot. I think they shared the same radiator. Their fix for the D600 was to only have the read out in Celsius (the TT was Fahrenheit or Celsius) thinking we colonist could figure out a conversion table.

Look it’s only 120 degrees!

Josh Davis
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 1/31/2006 3:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't wait for the comparo. I think another good comparison would be the 675 to the XB9R. Two very unconventional sportbikes pitted against each other, both of which are more street worthy and user friendly than any of the newest and shiniest 600's. Gentlemen?