Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 2/6/2006 10:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a little bit heavier with the same power, but somehow Kawasaki managed to make the 2006 ZX-10R even faster. Duke tested out the new 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R at the California Speedway, alongside Kawasaki's two Hayden brothers.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 2/6/2006 11:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Noice intro report. It seems that the naysayers amongst us were correct about the slower transitioning handling by upping weight, rake, center of g. Still, in any way, shape or form an outstanding 'sicle. And I want one. Then again I want one of everything ;)

p.s. I really like the blended in turn signals. Previously other markets outside the US got them, while we were stuck with the old stalks.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Post Edited (Desmolicious) : 2/6/2006 7:03:59 PM GMT

Vash
The Humanoid Typhoon

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 94

Posted 2/6/2006 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rumor has it this thing is putting out 166hp at the wheel, compared to the '05 155. Anything on that?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 2/6/2006 2:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like it.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1328

Posted 2/6/2006 2:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin, I read somewhere else that the problem with the ZX-10-specific OEM Dunlop Qualifiers was that Kawasaki asked for a harder compound than the regular Qualifiers for longer wear. Apparently, these don't heat up quite the way the normal Qualfiers do. I wonder if that had something to do with your little slides and the parade of crashing journalists.

Did you hear anything like that? What say you?

(P.S. I like the new ZX-10-R. Looks pretty good in the flesh and, by most early accounts, it's a better bike. We'll see if this opinion holds up in the real world.)

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 2/7/2006 9:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Vash said...
Rumor has it this thing is putting out 166hp at the wheel, compared to the '05 155. Anything on that?
We should have our dyno runs done by the end of next week, so stay tuned as Superbike Smackdown 3 ramps up this month.

In regard to the Qualfiers, the ZX does have an OEM-specific tire. But Kawi tells us it was chosen for best performance, not longer wear. And to clarify, just one journo crashed at the Cal Speedway event, and two went down in Japan. I wouldn't term that a "parade" of crashes, and it is in fact not uncommon at press introductions.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 217

Posted 2/7/2006 9:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know why, but 2 years spent in a development cycle basically track tuning a bike doesnt really get me all that worked up.  Are the manufacturers banging against a horsepower wall, given ever increasing stringency of emmissions requirements?  I somehow expected more from the big Ninja. smhair

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 2/7/2006 9:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Jimmi, I'm sure the Euro 3 emissions standards are an impediment to power, but I don't think the engineers have yet to hit a performance wall. As Ducati's 999R demonstrated in last year's Superbike Smackdown, there's more to quick lap times than outright power. Also, despite the ZXX's track tuning, it seems to be a better bike on the street.

Still, I always expect at least one of the factors in a power-to-weight ratio would improve on a clean-sheet redesign. With the new ZX's weight going up, I'm thinking the heavy under-tail exhaust might be only a two-year deal.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Asterix
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14

Posted 2/7/2006 12:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just came from the bike shop nearby, they had a black -10R (already sold, of course) on the floor. I was pensive about how the front end looked in pics, but in real life it looks waaaay better, arguably better than the '05. The pipes look really good too. I've been looking for a full-faired alternative to my z1000, but I dunno about this one, it's pretty intimidating just standing still, more so than a gsxr-thou. The video in the review seems to indicate it's impossible to keep the front end down too. It's so gorgeous, though, maybe I'll wait a bit and see...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 2/7/2006 12:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Umm, Asterix, Where the front wheel is, requires a skill level. With that skill level, the front end isn't impossible to keep down or difficult at all, it's just a function of knowing what's at stake, working the controls, and moving your body, and, being comfortable with the front wheel in the air (being there by choice and not as some surprize at some un-wanted time). What's the chances of adding fairing at most wanted wind protection (surely your not wanting a fairing for a certain look are you?) to your Z1000? The performance difference between a ZX10 and a GSXR1000, is like two peas in a pod. What you can say about one, you can say about the other, in the performance dept.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 2/7/2006 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Asterix said...
The video in the review seems to indicate it's impossible to keep the front end down too
The wheelies in the vid were purely for entertainment value. In fact, the old ZX is more prone to such antics than the new one. Welcome to the board, and keep your eye out for a literbike comparison test in March.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/7/2006 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hummm, This tire thing that Kevin mentions, I've suspected, for, ever since getting my Suzuki TLR. The OEM Dunlop's and what same model name/number you buy later on, are two different tires (at least in compound). When Kawasaki says it's for "better" performance, that is a crock, or a different definition of "better performance". The truth, would never be revealed, though, so we will never know. On these bikes, OEM tires are scarey rim protectors that are best taken off and replaced with tires that actually hook-up, with the dependable confidence that current max performance tires have, before any bike performance is tried. These two journo's crashing at one track, and one journo at another, getting explained as "not un-common" only can mean (to me) either the OEM tires are too scarey crappy hazardous to be on the bikes when testing, or the journo's get, and hold down their jobs, because of some other requirement, than being able to use some judgement while riding a bike. It's not like they are on the edge to get on the front row starting grid position, going against all the other fastest of the fast, that are going for the same favored start position at the race.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 2/7/2006 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
The truth, would never be revealed, though, so we will never know. On these bikes, OEM tires are scarey rim protectors that are best taken off and replaced with tires that actually hook-up, with the dependable confidence that current max performance tires have, before any bike performance is tried.
I agree. Stock tires are ok if people don't push their bikes to the limit - but come on. Tires are so easy to swap, imo it's the single best "upgrade" any motorcyclist can make. Tires simply are something I'd cheap out on. Get the best of the best so when you want to make life more interesting you'll have the right tools to do it.

Lou, we are in agreement on yet another thing

lol 

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/7/2006 2:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You should be in agreement on everything though lol  lol  lol . The more experience you get, the more you will see. yeah

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 2/7/2006 6:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

lol 

Post Edited (Kansas) : 2/8/2006 1:11:10 AM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/7/2006 7:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin, I checked out the ZX10 at a shop today. I noticed that my fingers would get caught between the levers and the faring at full lock, both to the left and right. Did you notice this or were your levers adjusted to a better angle? (maybe poor shop set-up). They had the bike in all 3 colours, I think that the green rocks the most. They also had the new Honda 1000RR which has no clearance probs at all, but just does not seem so "special" compared to all the other liter bikes. Even in the team Sweden colours. One prob I think is the horrendously cheap and old looking turn signal stalks that Honda uses. Ruins the look IMO. Kawi's are blended in and look great, same with Suzi (their fronts are in the mirrors) while Yamaha uses slender, elegant stalks. Sure it is an easy thing to change, but when the other mfgs already are taking care of business...
p.s. I also saw an 06 Z1000 in a new matte bright blue metallic finish at the shop which looks spectacular.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 2/7/2006 10:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was at a dealer recently and the manager told me they sold an 06' zx-10 after only 6 hours.  Too bad because I never got to see it, but I guess nobody is having any problem selling these things.

Desmo, what you said about the Honda's turn signals is spot on.  They are god-awful to look at and have been on Honda's sportbikes for decades.  I have no idea why they won't change them.
Also have to agree with you on the blue Z1000 as I saw one and it did rock.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/7/2006 10:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The dealer I was at, Santa Monica Honda Kawi, had 4 on the floor. Not surprising as 1/ they do not show price tags on the bikes which is illegal in CA. The prices must be displayed.
and b/ they are waaay over priced compared to other shops. See 1/.
I just use them to pass time and to pick up the free motorags (Friction Zone). And maybe to pick up some Honda Spray Polish/Cleaner.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 2/8/2006 9:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Desmo: I didn't notice the handlebar clearance issue, but then again there's not a lot of call for u-turns on a racetrack.

919: Let's not bag on Honda too bad for the CBR's turnsignals, because until the '05 Gixxer and '06 ZX10, Japanese sportbikes were inflicted with the same issue. The DOT mandates the signals be a minimum of a certain distance apart, so the bulky stalks were seen as the only way to accomplish this at a minimal cost. For example, the '05 ZX-6R has stalks while the Euro-spec bikes had flush-mount fronts. Thankfully, the Asian OEMs are figuring out clever ways around this, like the Gixxer's mirror/signal design borrowed from some European bikes.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/8/2006 4:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nah Kevin, I'm going to have to bag on Honda... look at the turnsignals Yamaha uses, they are an elegant, modern design. Even companies like Moto Guzzi with their V11 series look great. Honda's looks like they were made in 1985 and it hurts the bikes' showroom presence when they are parked next to something like the new ZX10R.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

MoToRmOnKeY R6
Screaming Wennie

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 142

Posted 2/8/2006 5:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think it will be a great track bike. But for city driving I belive that we'll still be seeing more R1's and Gixxers

-Grant
Yup thats me on my old bike. Can u belive that I cracked the frame in 5 different placed because i slamed into a tree at 25 mph? It wasnt built ford tuff

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 2/9/2006 12:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Turn signals I wouldn't mind nearly as much

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2003-tri-day-de-9-2.jpg
  7KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 125 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2004-suz-g6-d-02-2.jpg
  11KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 128 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2005-kaw-zx6r_03-2.jpg
  15KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 136 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
kawasaki-zx10r-04-bikepics-369941.jpg
  58KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 163 time(s).

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 2/9/2006 1:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
See now that's what I'm talkin' about (a boot for all you Canucks). ;)

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/9/2006 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only ride report (I think it was a ride report, could of been just a list of changes) that I've seen on the 06 Honda CBR1000, sounds great, like Honda was serious about getting rid of the "soft" image they had last year. I wouldn't bag any bike because of some tiny feature that I can change for pocket change, like the turn signals. (not when big bag things are out there like the exhaust system on the 06 Kawi ZX10) I'd be willing to bet a weeks paycheck that the 06 Kawi sales don't pan out as desired, and the exhaust system is seen as the prime reason, and isn't there in 07. (now if no one notices I don't get a paycheck any more, I'm home free on this)lol