Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Harley-Davidson CVO - First Rides  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 9/11/2006 8:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Korf returns to the MCUSA fold as our freelance H-D ringer. Here is his report on his impressions of the 2007 Harley-Davidson CVO lineup. Plain old regular Hogs won't ever be the same for Ilkorfagio now that he has tasted the forbidden CVO fruit.

Rapids996
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 9/11/2006 11:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can call them what you will but a HD is an HD is an HD no matter how you color it or call it and that is the truth! I've ridden a few HD's over the years and to be honest that was a few to many. The last HOG I rode was a full dress new 2004 Road King 2 years ago. My wife and I rented one to go up the coast to Santa Barbara from L.A. I wanted to see what the hoopla was all about with these HOGS.

My impression was this, no power, wanted to fall over at every stop or on every take off, brakes sucked, tranny sucked even more and the seat!!!! As GOD is my witness my ASS was killing me about 45 minutes into the ride!!! I swear it felt like I had gone 3,000 miles non stop after only riding for just over 200. And this thing has a BIG ol seat taboot!!

I'll take a Honda ST1300 any day of the week!

I've been riding for 40 years and I've raced MX and road raced as well so I know how a decent bike should be. It amazes me to this day that with all of HD's resources why they still live in the early 1900's? Why do you have to have a 1,200cc bike competing with 600 in the Xtreme calls?

If HD built a decent bike I'd be the first in line to buy one. They have tried and failed at road racing so they can concentrate on bikes that are made of good ol US steel, that weigh a ton and vibrate to the point of being a blur at a stop light.

For me I think HD's are like that old kids fable. the king has new clothes but he's actually naked. I think one day people who onw HD’s will realize they've been had and that they have bought a pile when they could have purchased a far better bike for half the cost.

Don't mean to offend I'm just saying my opinion after reading your review.

Rapid

yeah

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 9/11/2006 12:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How does the chassis and the engine of these 110 CVOs feel compared to the Yam Roadliners? Or Suzi M109?I ask cuz the E-Glide and Road K that I rented had a flexy chassis and so even though they were slow it seems that adding more powah would be something that the chassis would have probs with.
The bikes in the test really are road jewellry , as can be expected given the $$

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 9/11/2006 12:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Amazing looking motorcycles for sure! Good to see an article from Korf.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 9/11/2006 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
How does the chassis and the engine of these 110 CVOs feel compared to the Yam Roadliners? Or Suzi M109?I ask cuz the E-Glide and Road K that I rented had a flexy chassis and so even though they were slow it seems that adding more powah would be something that the chassis would have probs with.
The Road King we tested for an upcoming shootout had a very flexy chassis that I didn't like. But when I tested an '07 Electra Glide, it didn't have the RK's flex, which is weird because they share the same chassis. The Roadliner is a better handler by far, and I imagine I'd say the same about the M109R if I ever get my ass on one!

Since the TC88 motor was only adequate in its power in a RK or EG, the new TC96 (and I'm sure the TC110) is a welcome improvement that can be enjoyed 100% of the time. It won't make the handling worse, as it will still have the same limitations.

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 9/11/2006 2:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought that the handling on all the bikes at the CVO intro were adept at what they were built for, cruising. If you want to tear up the twisties on a cruiser, there are better options out there. People who are candidates for the CVO line are likely H-D aficionados already and they know how these bikes will function with regard to their riding/touring needs. My point being, comparing the Yams to the H-D's is really rather existential, especially for HOG owners.

go ahead, ask me anything...

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/11/2006 2:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, Kevin answered the handling side of it (thanks!), Korf how about the motor side of it? Had any experience on the Roadliner or M109 to compare against the 96 or 110 cube HD? Sure it wouldn't matter to HD riders who would only ride HDs, but there are others out there with more open minds!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 9/11/2006 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmo - I haven't had the pleasure of riding the Roadliner, but after riding metric cruisers of equal or near equal displacement, I'd have to say they are equally matched in terms of thrust. The H-D mill was good, especially with the Screamin' Eagle goodies, but I wouldn't say it was better or more powerful than the VTX1800, V2K, or any similarly displaced powerplants. I'd say, it's close and only a dyno and back to back riding could sort it out.

Clouding the issue even further is the weight of each machine. There is a significant different between the 110 TC on the Dyna and the Road King. After conferring with Dukalicious we estimate it's similar to the Roadliner and only a head to head test would demonstrate the differences.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/11/2006 3:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the response. So basically just from an engine output standpoint, to get what the Roadliner, M109 etc offer, you'd have to step up to a TC110 and the $25K price tag. ('course I'm ignoring the fact that the HD's have much better paint/chrome/detailing). (and I'm ognoring the fact that pretty soon I'm sure the 110 stuff will be offered as a kit for the 96 by HD).

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 9/11/2006 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, it's a safe bet the M109R will be able to beat a Roadliner in a dragrace. To me, the TC96 in the new softail feels just a tad less powerful than the Roadliner, so I'd guess the TC110 would be right in the ballpark.

Post Edited (Kevin Duke) : 10/23/2006 2:16:05 PM GMT

EAGLE1
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/19/2006 2:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MCUSA e-mails make my day, just love the pictures that go with them too.
I enjoyed the 07 CVO artical and the Sturgis pictures from last week.
skull Diversity keeps it interesting.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
SpringBreak06RDH-Da.jpg
  542KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 205 time(s).

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 9/19/2006 3:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glad you're liking it, EAGLE1, and welcome to the board! We're planning on ramping up our cruiser content even further, so keep us in your favorites menu.

Geoffrey
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 774

Posted 9/24/2006 7:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rapids996 said...

Mechanically, the ST is pretty solid. But the bike lacks character in spades. 

'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
'96 BMW R1100R

blickquickly
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 78

Posted 9/27/2006 9:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rapids996 said...
You can call them what you will but a HD is an HD is an HD no matter how you color it or call it and that is the truth! I've ridden a few HD's over the years and to be honest that was a few to many. The last HOG I rode was a full dress new 2004 Road King 2 years ago. My wife and I rented one to go up the coast to Santa Barbara from L.A. I wanted to see what the hoopla was all about with these HOGS.

My impression was this, no power, wanted to fall over at every stop or on every take off, brakes sucked, tranny sucked even more and the seat!!!! As GOD is my witness my ASS was killing me about 45 minutes into the ride!!! I swear it felt like I had gone 3,000 miles non stop after only riding for just over 200. And this thing has a BIG ol seat taboot!!

I've been riding for 40 years and I've raced MX and road raced as well so I know how a decent bike should be. It amazes me to this day that with all of HD's resources why they still live in the early 1900's? Why do you have to have a 1,200cc bike competing with 600 in the Xtreme calls?

If HD built a decent bike I'd be the first in line to buy one. They have tried and failed at road racing so they can concentrate on bikes that are made of good ol US steel, that weigh a ton and vibrate to the point of being a blur at a stop light.

For me I think HD's are like that old kids fable. the king has new clothes but he's actually naked. I think one day people who onw HD’s will realize they've been had and that they have bought a pile when they could have purchased a far better bike for half the cost.

Don't mean to offend I'm just saying my opinion after reading your review.

Rapid

yeah

Sounds to me like you were just LOOKING for problems so you found them. As for your ass, was the seat broken in and fitted to your butt? Didnt think so.

BQ

This is my Signature! There are many like it, but this one is mine!

1KPerDay
The Avocado of Death

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 5481

Posted 9/29/2006 11:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rapids996 said...and vibrate to the point of being a blur at a stop light.
Those of us who ride, rather than spend our time at stop lights, notice that the vibration goes away once underway. H-D makes some very good, very functional bikes, for their intended purpose (touring the wide-open spaces of America at semi-legal speeds). I suggest you stick with the ST1300, the boringest bike of all time (perhaps with the exception of the Honda Pacific Coast).

;-) 

May all your astronomical perturbations be within a standard deviation of the norm.
--CaddmannQ

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/26/2006 9:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1k makes a great point. Yes, H-Ds vibrate at idle, but once up to speed, the vibrations are much less noticable. Besides, if you're in the market for an H-D, vibration is probably the last thing on your mind.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/26/2006 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It should be noted that Harley builds two Big Twins that have different characteristics. The rubber-mount motors vibrate a lot at idle but are smooth on the road. The TC-B motors have counterbalancers and don't exibit the same vibes at idle. Both have vibrations well tuned out once up to speed.

Rollbar
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 10/28/2006 3:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
?
W/the Dyna's CVO 110 motor added to the line up did anyone hear of getting the optional motor in the Fatboy.
Being new to the program I was just wondering if a optional motor (didn't read any option in the specs off HD web site but...) was available in the future for the Fatboy, or if it would even fit.

IS the fatboy adequate w/the motor that comes w/it in a trike format?

Just trying to do my homework B-4 I buy.

Thanks,
Rollbar

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/29/2006 11:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The Fat Boy's  new-for-'07 Twin Cam 96 motor should be fine for trike use. If you want the 110ci from the CVO line, you'll need to spend about $2600 from the Screamin' Eagle catalog on top of the TC96.

Rollbar
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 10/30/2006 10:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, KD

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 11/6/2006 6:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bkorfhage said...
I thought that the handling on all the bikes at the CVO intro were adept at what they were built for, cruising. If you want to tear up the twisties on a cruiser, there are better options out there. People who are candidates for the CVO line are likely H-D aficionados already and they know how these bikes will function with regard to their riding/touring needs. My point being, comparing the Yams to the H-D's is really rather existential, especially for HOG owners.

That's they way I see it too. Who wants to haul ass through the twisties driving a truck? They are what they are and while the 96 inch has been needed for a while, it's nowhere near the improvement many folks make when the have their TC88 pumped to the traditional 95 inch because they don't have to worry about the EPA and they can uses better cams, higher compression and so on. If you're looking for a sport touring bike why are you standing in a Harley dealer in the first place? I'm still trying to figure that one out.......

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/9/2006 1:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, count me in on this, or in California terminology, I'm so down with that cool . Terms like vibration are so relative. Personally I like the situation of the rubber mount Harley. Gives good vibe at a stop light, smooth as anything (hey it's nice to know there is an engine down there running) when the speed picks up. The only solid mount Harley I rode, also was a package I didn't want to go very fast on anyway, so that worked out just fine (especially fine because it wasn't mine, I could return it). lol  Bottom line, there are so many choices, how could anyone not find, what suits them just fine?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/9/2006 8:51:38 PM GMT

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 11/9/2006 6:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Yeah, count me in on this, or in California terminology, I'm so down with that cool . Terms like vibration are so relative. Personally I like the situation of the rubber mount Harley. Gives good vibe at a stop light, smooth as anything (hey it's nice to know there is an engine down there running) when the speed picks up. The only solid mount Harley I rode, also was a package I didn't want to go very fast on anyway, so that worked out just fine (especially fine because it wasn't mine, I could return it). lol Bottom line, there are so many choices, how could anyone not find, what suits them just fine?

I agree Lou. There are so many bikes out there and so many choices for all types of riding styles. If someone wants a Harley, buy it but buy it because it's the best bike for you not because it says Harley-Davidson on the tank and your friends ride one. That's a big mistake in my book....

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 11/10/2006 1:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HogWild said...
...There are so many bikes out there and so many choices for all types of riding styles. If someone wants a Harley, buy it but buy it because it's the best bike for you not because it says Harley-Davidson on the tank and your friends ride one. That's a big mistake in my book....

:-) Many make that 'mistake', regardless of model/type.

Didn't read the article in total - CVO = HD aftermarket parts installed by the someone else (factory/dealer)?

Where's the sense of pride and accomplishment that made 'your' "one-off"? This custom-bike culture's hard for me to understand...

Kevin Duke said...
Glad you're liking it, EAGLE1, and welcome to the board! We're planning on ramping up our cruiser content even further, so keep us in your favorites menu.

Oh, no! (j/k) smilewinkgrin

My Ride: quiet GSX-R 1100

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 11/10/2006 8:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smax said...
HogWild said...
...There are so many bikes out there and so many choices for all types of riding styles. If someone wants a Harley, buy it but buy it because it's the best bike for you not because it says Harley-Davidson on the tank and your friends ride one. That's a big mistake in my book....

:-) Many make that 'mistake', regardless of model/type.

It's just as bad for those that think Harley actually wins the NHRA PS bike championship. Nothing like stacking a deck.......... Gotta have that name right??