Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Star V-Star 1300 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
108 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 10/9/2006 3:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Duke took Star Motorcycles' V-Star 1300 out for a spin at the recent press intro in Asheville, NC. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Hornett
2006 Suzuki C50 (loaded)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 378

Posted 10/9/2006 3:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The 1300 V-Star looks like a winner and should be a hot seller.  Wish they would make a bike between the V-Star 650 series and the 1100...maybe something in the 800-900 range.  Oh well, it still looks like a sweet bike.  I read some information and at least they fixed that blasted oil filter problem that the 1100's have.  They should fix that on the 1100's too, so you don't have to get an oil filter relocation kit, but they may someday since a lot of people are pissed about the pain in the butt you go through to get to the 1100 oil filter. 

The only thing I don't like about the new 1300 is that it is belt driven.  I know a lot of folks will swear by belt drive, but I think many still would prefer shaft drive over belt.  Oh well, time will tell.  I prefer shaft driven bikes and will stick with it since I have had good luck with it.

-- Hornet --yeah

-- Always be safe and watch out for the idiot drivers, especially those on cell phones! --                                                                                           
Total Miles - 19, 439

hawaiian
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 30

Posted 10/9/2006 3:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
one of the best looking h2o cooled cruisers...

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 10/9/2006 4:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hornett said...
Wish they would make a bike between the V-Star 650 series and the 1100...maybe something in the 800-900 range.
Perhaps a Vulcan 900...?

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

Hornett
2006 Suzuki C50 (loaded)

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 10/9/2006 6:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Aye, I know about the Vulcan and it is a nice bike, as is the Suzuki C50, but I meant I wish that V-Star (Yamaha) would make a cruiser in the 800 - 900 range since the gap is so large between the 650 and 1100.  :p

-- Hornet -- yeah

-- Always be safe and watch out for the idiot drivers, especially those on cell phones! --                                                                                           
Total Miles - 19, 439

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/9/2006 9:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Vulcan 900 is $3000 less? Dang!
Or you can just wait a couple o months and buy these things at big price reductions. 2 years ago Honda was blowing out the VTX1800 for $7999...
Stratoliner S are now going for $2500 under MSRP OTD in LA...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/9/2006 10:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
that's the great thing about japanese bikes...they built ultra reliable bikes and you can always find one for under the msrp at most dealers...hope they never get to a point where we have to pay more than msrp. 

Arizona
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 568

Posted 10/10/2006 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like a great bike! I do with they'd stuck with the shaft drive, but i think they've got a winner there...

2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic - daily commuter in So Cal (over 27,000 miles and counting...)

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 29

Posted 10/10/2006 6:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For cruiser riders (and I'm a part-time member of the group), the choices get better and better. The megacruiser segment has exploded (not literally) with the addition of the Triumph Rocket III ($1000 price reduction this year), the monstrous (in a good way) 2 litre Kawasaki, and most impressively, the "Star" Roadliner/Stratoliner offerings. Even HD feels the need to respond in the form of a bigger and (reports say) better engine lest it be reclassified as a "middleweight."

Now comes Yamaha's (oops) Star's 1300 V-Star. They've apparently figured out that fit/finish matters in this market segment, a lesson that neither Suzuki nor Kawasaki has yet learned (at least from what I've seen). And in what I suspect is a masterstroke, they've targeted the bike at former (and wannabe) sportbike riders who enjoy mid- and uppper-range power (at least compared to its competitors.) Obviously aimed at unseating the VTX 1300, the V-Star looks to be significant competitor, especially for the legion of V-Star 650 owners who want to move up. (The V-Star 1100 simply looked and felt too much like it's little brother/sister to attract those who found the littlest V-Star too little.) Now Star has a middleweight that looks like its big brothers rather than its smaller siblings, a strategy Honda has been milking for several years now.

As for me, well, the Roadliner is a temptation. And oddly enough, the Royal Star Tour Deluxe is a close second. It's 1300cc V-4 spanks the other 1300 offerings and does so with unmatched comfort and flexibility as a "touring crusier." My wife might well think about the 1300 V-Star if I could ever convince her to give up her beloved 1100 Shadow Sabre. (Not much chance, unfortunately.) Shouldn't be too critical, though. After all, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a bike to replace my beloved Valkyrie. It's "just" 1500cc's, but it does make good use of them.

All in all, congratulations to Yam...uhh... Star for hitting what appears to be a marketing bullseye with its new model. Already badly eclipsed in virtually every other market segment, Honda had better come up with something more than new fenders for the VTX line to stay competitive in this one.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/10/2006 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great post, Puff's Daddy! Glad to have a writer of your caliber on the boards. yeah

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/10/2006 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
Great post, Puff's Daddy! Glad to have a writer of your caliber on the boards. yeah

Wut yew meen? Nut moi fawlt eye lykes dem paint chips...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/10/2006 11:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mmmm, paint chips... All we need now is some glue to sniff!

samven
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/10/2006 8:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I really appreciate a well written review that touches all the important points and this one does it in spades. I feel like I really know the bike and I havent even seen one yet.

As for the VStar13 I had hopes it was going to be my dream machine, but it fell a little short I am afraid. I currently ride a Suzuki C50 and I really love it, but it falls short in only 1 area for me. It needs a little more power for 2 up highway. I was already to pull the trigger on a bigger bike but the idea of having to gain over 140 lbs and give up some of the already limited lean angle while shelling out the added $3500 will probably keep me on the C50 for another year.

Sam 

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/11/2006 7:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
samven said...
I really appreciate a well written review that touches all the important points and this one does it in spades. I feel like I really know the bike and I havent even seen one yet.
Perfect - that's the goal of my job! Welcome to the board, samven!

Subic76
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 72

Posted 10/12/2006 5:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very good write Kevin.
I can't wait to throw a leg over this bike.
Only seen it in pictures, but that red Tourer just calls me.yeah
Speaking of pictures, thanks for the close up of that dash. Love that speedo mounted up there instead of on the tank like my 650 V Star.
Time to move up and with another transmission recall on the Road Stars (older models) the 1300 just be my new bike.
Thanks again Kevin.
Randy

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/12/2006 8:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the virtual ride, Randy! The new 1300 is a big step up from the V-Star in every possible way. I'm sure you'll love it.

wildwolf
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 99

Posted 10/13/2006 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
But whatever you care to call it, it's virtually impossible to find a more nicely finished cruiser for under 10 grand.
Well, I can call it ...a nicely finished cruiser for over 10 grand.

Really nice write up, but I have to disagree about its performance from a purely 'observer' point of view. It might be better than its main competitor, the VTX1300, but I think in performance it falls short of the VTX1800, the M109 (Suzuki, for only $2k more....). For performance, I'm going off stock dynos of the M109 giving off about 105 ponies and 100 pounds of torque. The VTX1800 is close, but has only about 80 lbs of torque IIRC, in stock form.

70/70 are indeed impressive for a bike of 1300ccs, but they dog it down with that horrible weight of 700 pounds? I think they could have lightened the load significantly and those 70 ponies and 70 pounds of torque would have really meant something.

Other than that, as I said, nice write up...and it's a decent looking cruiser.

..oh, and sorry if my opinion differs from all others, as I'm sure it will.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/13/2006 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The VTX 1800 actually makes 85 rwhp and 98 lb-ft of torque. And it's more than $3000 extra and in a completely different displacement class. And in several ways, the Vstar is better finished. The M109R is definitely much quicker, but it's an entry in the performance cruiser class, which the Vstar isn't.

The Vstar looks even more appealing when compared with Kawi's Mean Streak, a performance cruiser that weighs as much or more and cranks out less power.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/13/2006 1:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mind if I ask again why noone has done a full test of the M109? Does that bike have "issues"? Are the current owners beta testers?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/13/2006 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not sure why no one has, but we haven't yet found room in our schedule for it. A single bike test wouldn't do the bike or our readers justice, so we're planning on having it in an upcoming Performance Cruiser shootout.

Hornett
2006 Suzuki C50 (loaded)

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 10/14/2006 6:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey Desmo, I agree with the review about the Suzuki M109!  My Suzuki dealer had a few and they sold like hotcakes, so it must be a winner!  I never even got to see one in real life since everytime he gets one, it is sold so fast!  Guess I need to camp out and wait for the next one to arrive by crate!  yeah    Hope they do a 'first ride' on the M109 soon!  Like to see how it compares to the other bikes in its class.

-- Hornet -- yeah

-- Use Velcro!  It is almost as versatile as duct tape! --

-- 06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T --

Total Miles - 19, 439

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 17

Posted 10/14/2006 6:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke,

I liked your article, it was well done.

I have a red V* 1300 tourer on order and have some questions for you.

Does it take 87 octain or higher octain?

From the article:
"Power is strong but not impressively so at lower revs. The VTX1300 and H-D's old 88-cubic-inch (1340cc) motor have more punch right off the bottom end before the V-Star motor overpowers them from the midrange on up."

What speed and what gear did you pull even with the VTX & HD?
Did it pull away strong from there?

I have read some place that it has a clock, is that true?

Do you know if any of the Tourer's are a any dealers yet? If so where?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich King

Personal thought:
"The reason that the world is so far out of balance is because, so many people think that it revolves around them."

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/14/2006 10:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hornett, the M109R First Ride was posted back in March:
The comparo has yet to be written.

As for Mr. King's questions, I believe the new V-Star requires only regular gas.

The description of the Star's powerband wasn't from direct comparison with the other bikes, only from my experienced butt dyno. I'm quite confident instrumented testing will verify my claim.

You certainly have read that it has a clock. From my test:
"The handlebar-controlled toggle that switches between the dual tripmeters, clock and fuel count-up tripmeter when the 1.0-gallon reserve is activated is very handy."

I don't know what you've been riding, King, but I'm sure you're going to like your new ride.

Anyone notice we added a video to the test?

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 10/14/2006 11:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very nice

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Hornett
2006 Suzuki C50 (loaded)

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 10/15/2006 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin,

Thanks for that M109 link..I will check it out soon.  Somehow I must have missed that article and didn't search back far enough.  I appreciate the information! 

-- Hornet -- yeah

-- Use Velcro!  It is almost as versatile as duct tape! --

-- 06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T --

Total Miles - 19, 439