Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Star V-Star 1300 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
108 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 10/15/2006 7:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
Mmmm, paint chips... All we need now is some glue to sniff!
Duke, I don't think you're old enough to memember "Sick Jokes From the 70's", (I think Desmo is) but anyhow, here goes...

"What's blind and goes crunch crunch?"
"A ghetto baby eating paint chips."

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500 "Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

wildwolf
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 99

Posted 10/16/2006 7:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke said...
The VTX 1800 actually makes 85 rwhp and 98 lb-ft of torque. And it's more than $3000 extra and in a completely different displacement class. And in several ways, the Vstar is better finished. The M109R is definitely much quicker, but it's an entry in the performance cruiser class, which the Vstar isn't.

The Vstar looks even more appealing when compared with Kawi's Mean Streak, a performance cruiser that weighs as much or more and cranks out less power.

Sorry to have to link to a dealer's site, but your PM is disabled or I would have done that instead.

Southern Honda in Chattanooga, TN offers the VTX 1800 for less than $10K, so it's not "more than $3000 extra".

I couldn't remember the correct HP/torque numbers for the VTX 1800 as I had just seen one the previous Saturday at a bikeshow in Lebanon, TN. The guy threw out numbers of 85 and 115....forgot which was which (and it wasn't a stock bike, btw, they were attempting to tune it in after a powercommander was added I believe).

When compared to the Mean Streak, I think the V-Star is a winner hands down...and overall a great bike from your review. My main beef with the bike is in fact its price tag. It's still listed at over $10K. For the "bigGER cruiser" style, I think for the price a rider can get "more" bike for the same price in the 1800 VTX...or for $2500 more the M109R. For those that don't like the headlight, etc, the 109 is coming out with more versions this year.

For somebody looking for a "mid-range cruisers" such as the V-Star 1300 now seems to fall in category with, I think it does fit nicely into the category with its performance, but would like to know in the end how it rates to the 1100 Shadow and the 1400 Intruder (aka S83 now).

I also agree with Hornet, I prefer shaft drives now that I've owned one.

Also, Mr. Duke, I'd love it if, when you do that performance cruiser shootout you mentioned, if you could dyno each of the bikes. It'd be great to have some performance comparison numbers, done by the same dyno, on the same day/conditions, on the stock bikes.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/16/2006 10:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hornett said...

Hey Desmo, I agree with the review about the Suzuki M109!  My Suzuki dealer had a few and they sold like hotcakes, so it must be a winner! 

Hmm
They've been taking up floor space in LA...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 17

Posted 10/16/2006 11:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Rich King

Personal thought:
"The reason that the world is so far out of balance is because, so many people think that it revolves around them."

Professor Griff
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/16/2006 2:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some may think I’m crazy for saying this but…..I purchased a 2006 Royal Star Venture (V4 1300) back in June. If I had known at the time that “Star Motorcycles” was coming out with an updated version of the VStar, then that is what I would have been riding right now. I had been riding the V11 up until I bought the RSV 1300, and I loved it. They appear to have corrected ALL of the issues that had begun to bug me about my 2001 V11 (location of the oil filter, displacement that I outgrew two years into owning the bike, the somewhat dated styling, tires with inner tubes and wire rims, Instrument cluster mounted on the gas tank, etc.). Yamaha (whoops, I mean Star Motorcycles) seems to have corrected all of those things and made some terrific improvements (yes, I even like the belt drive).
I have already taken the idea of my purchasing this newer version of the VStar through committee (My Wife), and will be buying one next year. Oh, don’t get me wrong…..I will still keep my Royal Star Venture for the long rides (can’t beat the comfort and luxury – “Too Sweet”). I just like the idea of also having that V13 in the stable for bike nights around town (Memphis – Beale Street) and short trips to neighboring states. What can I say?; I’ve worked hard enough to enjoy such luxuries.

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 10/16/2006 3:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke,

I just read with great interest, the article dated 9/25/06 where you and others tested the Harley Road King vs the Yamaha Royal Star.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

How does the V*1300 Tourer compare to each of them, preformance, power, torque, and speed wise?
How would you compare the ride and handling to each? One up and two up?
Is the lighter weight noticable, more nimble, wind buffiting? Is it better in tight places and around town?
How did the riding position, seat comfort, and windscheild height compare?
Any other input is greatly apreciated.

Sorry for all of the questions but, when you're waiting for a delivery (since6/29/06) and have no other way of finding out info.
Well I hope you understand. You are a knowledgable and respected resource in this area.

Thanks in advance,
Rich King

Rich King

Personal thought:
"The reason that the world is so far out of balance is because, so many people think that it revolves around them."

Post Edited (V-Star 1300) : 10/16/2006 11:32:15 PM GMT

Subic76
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 72

Posted 10/16/2006 5:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello V-Star 1300,

I do not wish to answer for Kevin.

It is my hope, that with the V1300 that the wind will not move it around near as much as my 650.

I commute on the turnpike at 75 MPH to work and back.

650 weight is 505 pounds.

1100 weight is 593 pounds.

1300 weight is 623 pounds.

My son used to ride a 1100 Silverado. Me on the 650 following him I could see that he did not get moved around as much as I. My wife even commented about it after following us in her Jeep.

I weigh 190, my son weighs 220. Not much difference in weight between the 1100 and the 1300.

I like the feul inj. and belt on the 1300. Yes I have had the coupler problem. Never owned a belt drive.

Coupler problem not a good thing but not enough to shy me away from mamayama.

Save me a red one.

Luke
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 1080

Posted 10/16/2006 6:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Having read the new 1300 cruiser has an oversquare bore/stroke arrangement puzzles me. Why would you take away the low-end grunt from a cruiser? I too am curious to see a dyno chart.

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Yamaha 2006 FJR 1300A

TechMaven
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/17/2006 5:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Luke said...
Having read the new 1300 cruiser has an oversquare bore/stroke arrangement puzzles me. Why would you take away the low-end grunt from a cruiser? I too am curious to see a dyno chart.

Bore and stroke of a given displacement engine do not determine the power profile of that engine. Cam specs, port shape, valve sizes and many other tuning specifications are what determine how much and where in the rev range the engine makes it's best torque.

I live for internal combustion!

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 10/17/2006 7:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I was able to ride a new Star 1300 today, and came away with a favorable impression of the bike.

The power is surprising (good), and braking is superb. Suspension is plush, and may prove a little soft for quick action. I'm sure there is some adjustment of rear shock available...

The handlebars would be OK if rotated up a bit, and I could get used to glancing down to check the speedometer.

This bike feels as good as any 1500 class cruiser I can think of. It may be quicker than some, due to weight advantage. Tall gearing and an engine that wants to rev and pull like this does, makes for a fun bike!

My only problem with it, is that I can't have one this minute...smilewinkgrin

wildwolf
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 99

Posted 10/18/2006 6:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
texrider said...

My only problem with it, is that I can't have one this minute...smilewinkgrin

That's the problem I have with the M109R. I will get one, but have to sell the wife's bike and get her a new bike first...then I'm going to get me another bike. I'm looking forward to having 3 bikes in the stable. cool

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 10/20/2006 3:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wildwolf said...
Southern Honda in Chattanooga, TN offers the VTX 1800 for less than $10K, so it's not "more than $3000 extra".
I can only responsibly comment on MSRPs, but your comment is duly noted.

wildwolf said...
Also, Mr. Duke, I'd love it if, when you do that performance cruiser shootout you mentioned, if you could dyno each of the bikes. It'd be great to have some performance comparison numbers, done by the same dyno, on the same day/conditions, on the stock bikes.
You must be a newer reader, 'wolf. MCUSA always provides more tech and performance info than any other e-zine, and we'll continue to lead our competitors in this area.

V Star 1300 said...
How does the V*1300 Tourer compare to each of them, preformance, power, torque, and speed wise?
How would you compare the ride and handling to each? One up and two up?
Is the lighter weight noticable, more nimble, wind buffiting? Is it better in tight places and around town?
How did the riding position, seat comfort, and windscheild height compare?
Any other input is greatly apreciated.
If I were dragracing them, I definitely choose the V-Star over the RS or RK. The ride qualities of the new Star are also quite good, with more rear travel to soak up big bumps, and it definitely is the better handler.

Put it this way, unless I was buying a cruiser for inter-state journeys, I'd rather have the 1300. The other two bikes will be better when packing a lot of luggage or riding two-up.  

As for discussion about a shaft versus belt, I'd rather have belt drive. It's lighter, saps less power, affects handling less, and is cheaper to maintain over the long haul.

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

Luke
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 1080

Posted 10/20/2006 4:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the answer, TechMaven. And welcome to the board!

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Yamaha 2006 FJR 1300A

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 10/20/2006 4:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Kevin Duke,
My Red Vstar 1300 Tourer is on the simi headed west, so hopefully next week I will be riding.
Regards,
Rich

Rich King

Personal thought:

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/20/2006 4:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TechMaven said...
Bore and stroke of a given displacement engine do not determine the power profile of that engine. Cam specs, port shape, valve sizes and many other tuning specifications are what determine how much and where in the rev range the engine makes it's best torque
All true, but there are several factors that predispose an oversquare engine to producing higher-rpm power and vice versa. For example, port shape, valve sizes and combustion chamber design are all intermingled with bore/stroke, intake velocity, etc.   

JS
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/23/2006 8:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin,
I have been waiting for the V-Star 1300 (tourer) since I first saw it on the Yamaha Web Site several months ago. The bike looks amazing and, for the price, seems to be a great deal. Only one comment you made during your "first ride" review has me even a little concerned and that is the comment about the riding position. I am a bit shorter than average at just over 5'6" and don't have very long arms. Should I be worried at all about the size of the bike and the location of the bars in relation to the seat? My first bike was a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500 and I loved it, but now I would like to upgrade to something with more distance comfort for my wife and I.
Thank you so much for any input.
Jerry

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/23/2006 10:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, Jerry, I'm only 5'8", so my arms aren't that different from yours. Like I mentioned in the article, loosening the handlebar bolts and rotating the bar rearward is a benefit to shorter riders like us. And if you still hate it, you can always find a bar of a different bend in the aftermarket (or perhaps from the Star catalog).

JS
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/24/2006 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin,
Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm hoping I'll be breaking in my new black V-Star 1300 tourer very soon!
J

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/24/2006 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd bet a lot of money you're gonna love it!

Minion 444
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 403

Posted 10/25/2006 5:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I saw and sat on a red one at my dealer yesterday. Now, lets get this right out of the way. I am not replacing my Stratoliner.
The fit and finish on this bike was fantastic. Kawasaki and Suzuki should take notes. The radiator is not as ugly as I thought it would be. It is pretty well intergrated. I am a big guy 6'4. The floor boards were no good for me. They felt high and out front. Almost begging to be replaced with pegs. My stratoliner has expierenced no problems in the past 6 months, and I expect the V*1300 will be just as trouble free.

David
East Brunswick NJ

06' Star Stratoliner Midnight

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 10/25/2006 6:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've decided to replace my beloved Volusia - tired of looking for that extra gear. Looking for an all around bike that will be fun on the backroads I generally play on but will also convert for lite touring duty (daytrips to the mountains & of course beach week). I've narrowed my search to the new v-star 1300, the mean streak, the old vulcan 1500 and the new fat boy. Why? I'm not interested in anything over 700 lbs; I want something fun to ride but it doesn't have to peel my eyelids back; I want reasonable ground clearance; and I want to be able to put my sweetie on the back. All of these bikes fit the bill ( I know the meanie seat will need to be replaced).

One thing I like about the Harley is convertability - i.e. easily detachable windshields and backrests. I know Yamaha included that feature on their stratoliner - did they include it on the 1300 tourer? Also, how does the 1300 rate in ground clearance with the other bikes on my list? Finally, how would you rank my list if price is a factor, but not the only factor - weigh it equally with the fun factor and the versatility factor ( and, OK, the cool factor).

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 29

Posted 10/25/2006 6:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
madhadder said...
...One thing I like about the Harley is convertability - i.e. easily detachable windshields and backrests. I know Yamaha included that feature on their stratoliner - did they include it on the 1300 tourer? ...

Nope. Apparently no detachable windshield or sissy bar. That's a shame. They're available on both the Roadliners and Royal Star Tour Deluxe. And they're very trick. I suspect that it was one of those items that Yam..err...Star decided was just too good to include on the 1300 and might rob sales from the more expensive lines. Had the opportunity to ride a RSTD for a weekend a couple of months ago and found the removable windshield to be both very secure and easy to remove/reattach. Hopefully, the system will migrate down to the less expensive models over the next few years. And other manufacturers will pay attention.

For me, it would be a critical feature if I were buying a single bike for multiple tasks. The ability to select among multiple screens (or go naked) depending on the weather or type of ride is a great advantage.

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 10/25/2006 8:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dang! I agree convertability is critical since I'm only springing for one bike. It seems that I read in one of the early announcements that Yam...err....Star was going to make the windshield and backrest on the 1300 tourer easily detachable. It makes the Harley a better deal - like getting two bikes in one. Man, I'm going to have to eat some serious crow ...... I've been a real proponent of the metrics.

Minion 444
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 403

Posted 10/25/2006 8:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought that I would wind up removing the windshield and backrest more. In 6 months I have ridden without them twice. As soon as the aftermarket starts to gear up, companies like memphis shades and corbin will have removable shields and backrest soon enough.

David
East Brunswick NJ

06' Star Stratoliner Midnight

Funkmon
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 23

Posted 10/25/2006 11:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's something. Which 1300 do you think is better? The Honda V-Twin eXtreme 1300 or the V-Star 1300?

I'm digging the Honda's looks, torque, and shaft drive, and I abhore much about the V-Star, including ergonomics and looks, but I like the fuel injection. Letting my motorcycle warm up isn't too much of a hassle, I guess, but the ability to just press a button and go is really cool, and the fuel economy is probably helped by it, as well.

I like my VTX.

Also, on the subject of windshields and sissy bars, they're a lot cooler and more useful than you think. My father's got a supremely pimped out Fat Boy, and it's got a windshield and a sissybar. He never takes them off, and he said he's never go back to not having a windshield, and the convenience of the sissy bar for T-Bags and things keeps it mounted.

Motorcycle: Honda VTX 1300s