Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Star V-Star 1300 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
108 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 10/26/2006 8:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I asked the engineers from Star's accessories department about the 1300 not having the quick-detach screen and backrest. They told me it was a cost issue, as the 1300 was built to a price point. IMO, I think most buyers would pay the extra bucks for this convenience but, like Minion and Funkmon's dad's bike, many riders just leave them on anyway.  

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 29

Posted 10/26/2006 9:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Minion 444 said...
I thought that I would wind up removing the windshield and backrest more. In 6 months I have ridden without them twice. As soon as the aftermarket starts to gear up, companies like memphis shades and corbin will have removable shields and backrest soon enough.

I, too, never remove my windshield from my Valkyrie. However, there are two major advantages to the quick detach windshield available on the "liner" and Royal Star Tour Deluxe that I don't have with my Valk. During the summer I routinely switch to a shorter windshield and back to a tall shield in the winter. Since I have only one set of hardware, this involves mounting each shield on its respective brackets whenever I switch. (PITA. Yes, I know I should have two separate sets of hardware, but that would cut into the chrome budget.) With three windshield heights available from Star, it would take less than a minute to change windshields, a very nice feature. And unlike my Valk, once the windshield is removed, it doesn't look as if someone stole the windshield.

Secondly, at least for the Royal Star, removing the windshield and backrest totally transforms the look of the bike. From a highly functional, but somewhat frumpy, touring cruiser to a very attractive boulevard showpiece. (At least I think so.) I'm not so sure the transformation is as extreme with the "Liners," but there's a significant difference.

Like radiators, windshields are highly functional, but seldom aesthetically pleasing. I prefer to ride with one about 90% of the time. But it would be nice to strip it off from time to time to suggest I'm not as much of a wimp as I really am. (I find this desire to be ever stronger as I approach 60.)

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 10/26/2006 2:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm with you on that image thing Puff's Daddy. Having just crossed the 50 yard line myself - anything I can do to improve my image becomes of critical importance. IMO, the 1300 looks imposing without the touring gear and classy with it. A good combination and I was hoping Star would make the transformation easy.

Kevin Duke - I viewed the video that was added to your review and encourage everyone else to take a look. Nice touch to let us hear the start up sound. Great article and the video is a real plus. There is a hint in the article about cornering clearance concerns - does the 1300 touch down earlier than most cruisers, about average or better than average. I ride the backroads fairly aggressively for a cruiser rider - but I've never had any issues on my Volusia. How does the 1300 corner compared with other cruisers?

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/26/2006 2:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
madhadder said...
I'm with you on that image thing Puff's Daddy. Having just crossed the 50 yard line myself - anything I can do to improve my image becomes of critical importance. IMO, the 1300 looks imposing without the touring gear and classy with it. A good combination and I was hoping Star would make the transformation easy.

They do make it easy, buddy. Just spend a few thousand more for a Liner or a Royal Star. smilewinkgrin

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/26/2006 2:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
madhatter, glad to hear you appreciated the video. I'd say the 1300 handles better than most cruisers (no flexy chassis) but its ground clearance is about in the middle zone for cruisers. It's been awhile since I've ridden a Volusia, but from what I can remember, the V-Star has at least as much clearance while handling a bit more surefootedly.

Post Edited (Kevin Duke) : 1/4/2007 5:39:52 PM GMT

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/26/2006 6:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Puff's Daddy, it's not the $ -its the pounds. Dry weight on the Royal Star is 787 lbs.; the liner is 705 lbs. I'm coming off a nimbe 542 lbs Volusia. The jump to 638 lbs on the 1300 seems achievable - I might live. Those are beautiful bikes but I don't do enough interstate roadwork to do them justice.

KD, surefooted is exactly what I'm looking for on the Carolina backroads I ride. I'm going for a test ride and bringing my title with me just in case. Thanks for the quick response.

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/26/2006 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
madhadder said...
Puff's Daddy, it's not the $ -its the pounds. Dry weight on the Royal Star is 787 lbs.; the liner is 705 lbs. I'm coming off a nimbe 542 lbs Volusia. The jump to 638 lbs on the 1300 seems achievable - I might live. Those are beautiful bikes but I don't do enough interstate roadwork to do them justice...

I understand completely. Of course, those of us who ride Valkyries consider anything under 800 lbs to be a "lightweight." One thing about having a BIG bike is that it makes my K1200RS feel nimble in comparison. And my rather pudgy Triumph T-Bird Sport feels positively tiny.

The Royal Star does feel very BIG. I was surprised during the hundred or so miles I put on the Roadliner, however, that it felt somewhat more nimble than its 700+ pounds would suggest. The very rigid and light frame is the source of that, I suspect. No canyon carver, but a very respectably handling bike for a cruiser.

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/28/2006 6:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Stopped by my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and got a first up close and personal look at the VStar 1300.

The Good: Does resemble the Roadliner. In fact, the dealer had it sitting on the floor in the same place he'd had a Stratoliner the week before and at first glance I mistook the VStar Tourer for the Stratoliner. More rider room than the VTX1300 and nicely featured in terms of "dresser" bits such as a heel/toe shifter and brake pedal. Luggage is identical to the Roadliner bags. Nice looking though small. Not sure if there are raincovers available for the leather covered bags, but suspect they'll be needed.

The Bad: Though the style is reminiscent of the Roadliners, a closer look reveals cheaper materials. (Not surprising in view of the price point.) Have to say, though, that the biggest mistake, at least in style if not functionality, is that the Tourer is fitted with the "tall" (23.25 inch) windshield as standard equipment. This is just silly if one hopes to look over the windshield in most riding situations. At 5'10", I'm not short, but sitting on the bike I found I would have to be 6'4" to see over the shield. Does Star really expect to sell this bike to NBA players? (OK, short NBA players.) Furthermore, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the shield simply ruins the otherwise long, low lines of the bike, especially since the shield is rather narrow, making it seem even taller. Fortunately, both a medium (19") and short (15") are available for the bike. But I can't imagine why Star decided to make the tall shield standard on the Tourer version of the bike. Most buyers, I suspect, will have their dealer substitute one of the alternatives.

All in all a nice bike for someone looking for a "mid-size" cruiser. A major improvement over the old VStar 1100. I suspect the one remaining version of the latter bike won't be around for long unless its lower price point proves attractive to some customers.

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/28/2006 4:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Test road the V-1300 today - not the tourer, but the standard because the tourer wasn't available. Fit and finish on the bike was very nice. They bent the handlebars in such a way that you do have to lean into the bike. Right from the start I could not believe how light and well balanced the bike felt. Coming off the Volusia I did not notice any low end power issue's. This bike performs ya'll. It will do anything you ask of it and go where you want it to go. Kevin Duke was right about the bike being surefooted. It's also cheetah fast.

Now the rest of the story....... When I got to the showroom there was this bronze/charcoal Roadliner S. So much chrome I had to put my sunglasses back on. The whole time I'm checking out the V-1300 my eyes keep looking back at this thing. The salesman notices - "you know we have great close-out prices on 2006 Roadliners, you can get that baby for about the same price as a v-1300." While I road the v-1300 they prepped a roadliner for me. When I got back I almost didn't bother - I really liked the v-1300. Its a sweet bike. The Roadliner was there.....waiting for me.....shining in the sun....the sun had to put on sunglasses from the reflection. I started the bike up -- this thing sounds likes James Earl Jones talks (think Darth Vader) -- very deep and smooth. I was a little worried going from my 800 cc to a 1900 cc, but the v-1300 had given me confidence. I shouldn't have worried. What Star has done with this bike is amazing. It wasn't a bit harder to handle than my Volusia. Read Kevin's review of this bike and believe every word of it. It's sitting in my garage now, detachable windscreen and backrest on order. I think I'm going for the corbin hardbags I saw on somebodies posting. Puff's Daddy & Minion - thanks for the advice.

You can't lose with either of these bikes. Try them both....now.....before the close-out deals on the '06 Roadliners are gone.

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/28/2006 5:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great story, madhadder. Haven't ridden the 1300, but as I'd noted, I was very impressed with the Roadliner. For a bike its size, it handles remarkably well. Can't fit a fifth bike in the garage and can't bear to give up the Valk or I'd have one in my garage, too. As far as the bags are concerned, I think you're making the right choice, as well. That Star bags are attractive, but they don't hold much. According to the Corbin website, their Fleetliner bags hold twice as much as the OEM Star bags and, to my eye at least, look much better and cost only marginally more. Look forward to seeing photos of your bike.

Minion 444
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 403

Posted 10/28/2006 7:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Madhadder,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Liners. I have had mine since April and love it!!! Come visit our forum over in Delphi

http://forums.delphiforums.com/starroadliner/start

We have a great group and tons of info. With the dealers holding the price on the VSTAR to the demend slows, the Liners look like a bargin. Even at full retail, I believe you get alot for your money. Did you get the 5year warranty thrown in for free? Also, you should have gotten 2 tool kits. Make sure when your windshield gets keyed to match the ignition key. Check us out over at delphi. I am one of the moderators.

David
East Brunswick NJ

06' Star Stratoliner Midnight

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/29/2006 5:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Minion,

Got the five year Warranty and was handed a tool kit package - I'll check to see if there's another in the Liner. Good advice on the keying - need to call the dealership Tuesday to make sure. Thanks, see you at delphi.

I too think the Liners are a great deal - even at full retail - the bike comes loaded with a seat you don't need to replace and pipes you'd be crazy to replace. No mods needed to power up the engine either. Star gives you what you want right out of the package - after that the modifications are true customizations as opposed to paying more for what you should have been included to begin with.

The v-1300 is worth its price too. I was tremendously impressed and ready to buy, but if you can snag a roadliner at the same price.......well you need to test them both. I can see going either way based on how you ride. The v-1300 is very nimble. Hats off to the bike testers - I tried to scrape the floorboards and I wasn't man enough - I think its the sport bike riding that gives you the skills to push these babies to the limit. I might have to try one of those someday. Having ridden the v-1300 I expect to see alot of them on the road - its a winner.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 10/29/2006 11:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A Roadliner at a V-Star 1300 price? Way to go, Madhatter! Now you're gonna have to ride it like you stole it, cuz you nearly did!!

madhadder
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 10/30/2006 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KD - "about the same price" ended up being $12,500, which is of course more than a v-1300, but not alot more since they're not discounting that bike. Original MSRP on this bike was $14,980. It felt like a great deal to me. NOTE TO ALL: if you got a better deal please don't tell me about it - I don't want to know. On the other hand if you think I got a great deal feel free to laud my negotiasting skills.

Looking forward to bringing my skills up to what this bike is capable of doing.

Minion, I can't seem to get into that dephi roadliner forum. I registered, I see the rules page, I've visited the vendor sites and seen the adds. How do I get to the discussion thread?

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 17

Posted 11/8/2006 9:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I got the red V* 1300 Tourer on Monday jumpin and it is nicer, soomther and faster then I thought or even hoped for, it will suprise some out there. It was a long wait but very well worth it. yeah I have too run now it is going to be 61 today here in central Wisconsin and the bike is calling me for a ride. Not many riding days left. I will post later.

Regards,

Rich King  :p

Rich King

Personal thought:
"The reason that the world is so far out of balance is because, so many people think that it revolves around them."

Arizona
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 568

Posted 11/8/2006 10:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My eyes also keep wandering back to the Roadliner as my next bike! I'd go with the basic cruiser version and add the bags and windscreen that I like (I prefer the shorter w/s).

2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic - daily commuter in So Cal (over 29,000 miles and counting...)

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 11/9/2006 7:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
67.17 in reply to 67.16

I got the V*1300 Tourer this last monday 11/6/06 and have 425 miles on it today 11/9/06.

For the break in I did it like suggested by MotoMan at www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm I have had lots of cars over the last 45 years and always broke them in fast and they were fast compared to others with the same engine, so I completely agree that you ride it like you stole it.

The reason that the owners manual tells you to break it in easy is because the don't want any law suits from accidents caused by speeding. I also am not recomending that you do what I did. That's my disclaimer, LOL. Just break it in slooow. HEE HEE

The first 30 miles (after proper warm-up) I left the dealer and ran it to 40 in 1st let off and down to 20 and shifted, 60 in 2nd let off and down to 30 and shifted to 3rd up to 90 let off and down to 45. Next turned onto a long stretch of open clear road for 10 miles. I repeated the procedure several times for the 30 mile round trip taking it to the rev limiter in first produced 60 in 1st, 80 in 2nd, and 100+ in 3rd. I didn't do the procedure in 4th or 5th gears. After I returned to the shop we drained the oil and replaced the filter. The oil was strained and we found some small particules, as expected, from the break-in and also some in the oil filter.

I then drove it on a few day trips varying speed but not running it hard, like the first 30 miles except for a few short bursts but not to the rev limiter.

I topped off the gas tank and the first 129 miles used 2.91 gallons = 44.5 MPG. The next tank 148 miles used 3.51 gallons = 42.6

I hope you all find this information helpfull.

Regards,

Rich King

Rich King

Personal thought:
"The reason that the world is so far out of balance is because, so many people think that it revolves around them."

starider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 23

Posted 11/13/2006 7:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have a 1999 Roadstar. It's 1600cc's of raw torque. I was anxious to see the 1300. I went to see it about 2 weeks ago at the dealer here in San Antonio. My first impression was I liked it's looks. Upon looking closer I didn't like the instruments. They look like they should be on a sportbike. It's a cruiser. One analogue speedometer on the tank please. Cruisers don't need an instrument pod out where you might put a pouch foir sunglasses and gloves. I liked everything else about the bike. As far as long term ownership, hmmm. Don't think so. Funny thing about machinery thats very sophisticated. The older it gets the more problematic it becomes. I love the simplicity of the Roadstar. I can fix anything on this bike. No computer, fuel injection. I suppose most buyers will buy the 1300 and sell it after a couple of years. Or let it languish in thier garage for more.  Yamaha has a hit here. Though I wish Yamaha as well as the other manufacturers would ask us daily riders what they want before producing a machine.

Happy Trails

Puff's Daddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 11/14/2006 5:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
starider said...

I have a 1999 Roadstar. It's 1600cc's of raw torque. I was anxious to see the 1300. I went to see it about 2 weeks ago at the dealer here in San Antonio. My first impression was I liked it's looks. Upon looking closer I didn't like the instruments. They look like they should be on a sportbike. It's a cruiser. One analogue speedometer on the tank please. Cruisers don't need an instrument pod out where you might put a pouch foir sunglasses and gloves. I liked everything else about the bike. As far as long term ownership, hmmm. Don't think so. Funny thing about machinery thats very sophisticated. The older it gets the more problematic it becomes. I love the simplicity of the Roadstar. I can fix anything on this bike. No computer, fuel injection. I suppose most buyers will buy the 1300 and sell it after a couple of years. Or let it languish in thier garage for more.  Yamaha has a hit here. Though I wish Yamaha as well as the other manufacturers would ask us daily riders what they want before producing a machine.

Happy Trails

Happened into my local dealer the other day. Seems that Star has some VERY attractive dealer rebates available on the Road Stars these days. Was told that I could have a choice between a loaded Road Star or a Warrior 1700 for less than $10K. I'm personally not a big fan of the Road Stars, but from what I've heard, your experience with their reliability is typical.

I do suspect that the standard Road Stars may be an endangered species, squeezed between the 1300 on one end and the Road Liners on the other. The Warrior may survive as a specialty bike, but I suspect the other Road Stars may not survive.

V-Star 1300
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 11/15/2006 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is a pictureof my new ride 2007 V*1300 Tourer
Regards,
Rich

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/VStar_1300_Tourer/DCP00801.jpg

Rich King

Personal thought:

rstd06
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 5

Posted 11/15/2006 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/17/2006 11:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That bike is sharp.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

PrimoVstarTourer
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/3/2007 9:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has been one of the most detailed reviews that I have read.It's great that you give high praise for this bike because I just bought a 1300 Tourer last week. The only downside to this is that I am having it stored at the dealership until Spring. hop
Is it Spring Yet? turn turn

Greggo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/3/2007 10:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well I feel sorry for you because spring is a ways off. I got my new Red V-Star 1300 on December 6th. I moved up from a 98 Shadow 750 ACE. Wow what a shock. I am so impressed with the balance and feel of the bike even at low speeds. I am only 5'8" and 165 I had to pull the bars back a little for my reach. Perfect now !!!! The power is amazing and the bike is smooth at all speeds. We will be riding this weekend if the weather holds. Can't wait to get back on the bike. You will love it. I am in Texas so we ride year round, lucky for me. 

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 1/4/2007 10:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PrimoVStarTourer said...
This has been one of the most detailed reviews that I have read. It's great that you give high praise for this bike because I just bought a 1300 Tourer last week. The only downside to this is that I am having it stored at the dealership until Spring. Is it Spring Yet? turn turn
Glad you liked the evaluation, Primo! Like Greggo above, you are gonna love the bike. And to both of you, welcome to the boards!