Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Star V-Star 1300 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
108 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/4/2007 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone notice that you can get the 1600cc Kawi V-twin almost same MSRP than the 1300cc Yam? The Kawi is a really sweet piece too.. And as it has been out a while, I bet the real OTD price would be far less...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

wjreece
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 2/6/2007 7:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well... my 1300 Tourer has been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks with 2 miles on it. Finally a warmer afternoon. I bought this bike ($9700) from the local Yamaha dealer here in the kansas city area. Upgraded from a 2005 V-Star 650 Custom that I took to Yellowstone last year (a little over 3000 miles).

The bad thing is waiting for another warmer day!! This bike pulls,... and pulls hard. Lots of power!! Cruising down the highway at 65 is almost too slow for 5th gear. A major improvement over the 650. At 65-70 on the 650, I was looking for an additional gear to shift into. My 650 took care of me,... but the 1300 tourer will definitely add some zest to my trip to the Grand Canyon this spring! I honestly can't wait to rip up the mountains on this bike.

I am 5'11" and the handlebars could come back a little. Other than that, the bike fits great.

There is a spot in the highway that I took my first drive that really hit hard in the 650 where the pavement changes. I barely felt it in the 1300. This bike has a smooth ride and great suspension. The lockable saddle bags are a huge bonus for me and what initially drew me into the bike. Lots of storage space for my tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad with about 40% of the space to spare. A great addition for the rider who likes to camp.

The fuel injection is great in cold weather... no more choke and waiting for the bike to warm up. Hit the button... the engine starts.

I may have to take a couple 2 week trips this year with the 1300 tourer!!

Will Reece
Kansas City, MO.
1300tourer.com

Buchdich
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2007

Posted 3/13/2007 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

>>I just bought a 2007 V-star 1300 and I really dont have anything bad to say about except. I made this know through the V-Star Yamaha USA. First is the lack of a fuel gauge I know, I know what you are going to say I should learn when I need to refill my tank. The problem is the bike has a splash guard in the tank and you can not see in the tank to make a judgement on the amount of the fuel. I requested a add-on fuel guage but there is not one able to be added. There is a idiot lite that tells you when you are getting low on fuel which still is nice.   I guess it is more a preference than anything else.

>>Next is the need for a tach, have you ever notice on any auto car there is a tach, my wifes Alero has a tach and I have always wondered why. The V-Star needs a tach, this once again a preference but for me is the what I would like to see. The large windshield is great but the noise is loud and you cant really feel the rubber mounted motor to feel the time of changing gears. So a tach would be nice.

>>Right now my bike has two-hundred miles and boy is it smooth already. I bought it in at Joplin Powersports and got a great deal. Something that was not included in the ride about the bike is the 500. USD that you can get back from Yamaha. If your interested go to http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/webpromo/currentpromos_details_cashback.aspx

at the end of it all the bike is a super driver and allot of people are interested in it when you stop. Before you go out and buy anything stop by any Yamaha dealer and check it out.

Post Edited (Buchdich) : 3/13/2007 10:16:31 PM GMT

satyride
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 140

Posted 3/14/2007 5:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
no doubt about it , I am sure Yamaha( Mitsubshi Industries) has a winner,to compete w/ Honda 1300 and others' sales sucess. Cost savings aside , the bike biz is so competetive, obviously there will be a peak ,a collapse ,and a consoldidation in the future . All models -brands will not survive as we know them now.So think how long you will keep your toys and at what price they will fetch in a soft future matket.It is a golden age now, but clouds on the horizon. Picture is of my 87 Virago 535 S in Barcelona, never a problem ,fine for moderate speeds on city and lite tour duty. 3 years and 25000 km. my 80+ yo mom rode it too.H-D was for weekend only as too much traffic in streets during the work week. And as an aside, If you ever get to europe, Barcelona-Catalonia is the bike place, best weather year round, best food for the eurodollar , pretty women, beach , and Andorra mountains and France only 1-1/2 hours away, F1 and Moto GP at Catalonian track, 40 min from city center...alll in all if I had to choose just one city ...this is it.I believe some famous GP moto drivers are there now,living as I said "La Doche Vita"(Italnian)I have thousands of photos ...travels in Spain as I was 3 years Barca,I year Madrid...mucho touring all over with frinds .Bike has Taragonnian plates(T), in europe most transport is plated as to provience it comes from , problems if you have a "M" Madrid plate and live in Barca,because people are such football ( soccer) rivals they cat call you on the street if you have " wrong plate, Boston -Yankees anyone etc... Other rivals are less contentious so a "T" plate was ok.Fab 3-4 000 ft big forest hills, curvies, scalding tail of dragon type Medditeranian blind curves on seashore 300-500 ft above rocks,,all in all "MUCHO GRANDE"just watch the 125 cc/ 2 stoke future GP squids as they rip it up and dive bomb you at every chance.

THE SATYR makes the/ and lives by the ....RULES...his own

Post Edited (satyride) : 3/14/2007 12:57:04 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Mom rides-1.jpg
  336KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1068 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Barcelona Virago.jpg
  100KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 2849 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Hog Blanket -Barcelona.jpg
  38KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1698 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
catalonian mnts near Ripoli.jpg
  57KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 747 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
costa-brava Tossa del Mar.jpg
  44KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 6496 time(s).

Tech-D
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007

Posted 5/10/2007 6:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

1st time cruiser owner.  I've been riding cycles for years but they were all sportbikes, even did a few years of heavy track day riding.  For the past couple of years I've been toying with the notion of changing from a sportbike to a cruiser but was afraid of the drastic change.  Other then my brother's 883 Harley I rode many moons ago I never road a cruiser.  All I remember at the time was feeling like I was going 80-90 MPH when I looked down I saw I was only going 45 in a 55 and people were passing me like I was standing still.  Because of that ride, that is why I was nervous about the switch.

That all changed last night, I've been eyeing up the V Star's for the past year but wasn't sure what to go for.  After hearing about the 1300 it made my choice easier.  I always liked the look of belt drive and being water cooled is a plus in my book.  Now once again not coming from a cruiser background but more of a sportbike/track day rider.  I know this is going to sound strange but I'm glad I made the change.  I put on about 100mi just yesterday and I have to say that I always thought I enjoyed riding on the road, but switching to a cruiser makes me enjoy it even that much more.

Now I'm not one of those MACH 5 street riders that has to be WOT all the time.  I always saved that for the track, but I did enjoy a mixture of spirited riding as well as a slow paced check out the scenery type of ride.  I've always wanted to go on a LONG 500+mi weekend trip but due to luggage restraints and too aggressive seating position on my 636 I never did it.  That's now changed....  :)

Now it's nowhere near the power I had on my 636 but I was thoroughly impressed.  I had to pull out of the dealer and had to get her going to get infront of some traffic quickly.  Before I knew it with a few shifts of course I was doing 60 and it felt good.  From what I read on some reviews was that without the windscreen you wouldn't want to go to fast.  Well I did open her up after some mileage and getting used to her.   I can say that at 85 I didn't feel like I was being pulled from the bike.  I do have to say that on the sportbike 80 seems to be the cruising speed where the bike just feels right.  On the V Star I would say from just my riding yesterday it would be 60.  (Highway riding that is).

All in all I'm very happy I made the change and I'm looking forward to getting some major miles on her over the next couple of weeks and I'm now starting to plan some weekend trips.  Oh did I mention the little woman is now comfortable on the back of the bike so she'll go riding with me now.  (Is that a good thing or bad???)

Darren (Tech-D)
V Star 1300

Post Edited (Tech-D) : 5/10/2007 1:42:43 PM GMT

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 5/10/2007 7:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tech-D, no one can argue with a bike that brings riding enjoyment. And you've obviously found that even though your new bike can't do wheelies or help you drag a knee! A cruiser isn't necessarily better or worse, just different. Glad to hear your perspective.

-KD, Former MotorcycleUSA Editor

Timmy T
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 5/14/2007 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I just picked up my V-Star 1300 Tourer on Saturday!!!  My story sounds about the same as Tech-D's...been a sport rider all my life and decided that I needed/wanted to have something more comfortable and enjoybale to ride daily. I sold my CBR and bought this beautiful bike and I have to admit, I could not be happier. Do I miss the wheelies and crazy power to weight ratio of a sport bike, yeah but I do not think that I could go back now after 2+ days of ridin the Star.

The bike feels amazingly comfortable at cruising speeds, the wife and I took her for a long ride to get some miles on it and she might be happier than I am!!

I highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a great cruiser at an attractive price. I got it out the door for just under 10k with the 500 from Yamaha and the extended service. I true bargain if you ask me!!!

Timmy T
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007

Posted 5/16/2007 8:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
question....what type of fuel range has everyone experienced on their 1300? On my first tank, I got only about 130 miles before the idiot light came on and was not sure if I didn't fill the tank all the way up or if this is normal.

Thanks!

yamaman2
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007

Posted 5/20/2007 2:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just put a deposit on a 1300 Tourer today. I heard some people have problem with clutch noise - whinning or clatter. Anyone experiencing this

Thanks much

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 5/25/2007 3:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I ride a C50T and love it! As does the wife on pillion. Nice write up, I've come to expect good journalism on this forum!

I do like the Yam but they're out of my price range over here. Couldn't beat the deal I was offered on the T and the price/features combo is very attractive! So's the bike!

Enough power for two-up, though the wife isn't very big, and keeps up with bigger cruisers like Harley's and spanks them through the corners!

Prefer shaft drive, too, though the belts should do okay if they're protected from picking up stones. 

They say you're only young once! I'm trying to make it last...

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
A001.JPG
  103KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 538 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
ABCD03.JPG
  81KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 531 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSC01376.JPG
  84KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 523 time(s).

VulcanRider06
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 6/13/2007 11:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Desmolicious wrote:

Anyone notice that you can get the 1600cc Kawi V-twin almost same MSRP than the 1300cc Yam? The Kawi is a really sweet piece too.. And as it has been out a while, I bet the real OTD price would be far less...

Yes I have and this causes great dilemma for me.  Wife decided to start riding and is taking away my beloved Vulcan 900 Classic With corbin touring seat back rest and grab rail ( Told me to go and get my own bike this one was hers now.) I have been wanting somthing with more touring capability and a little more power. I will still spend some time riding 2-Up. The dilemma is I can buy the V-Star 1300 T with Crash Bars and Bag Bars or spend a grand more and get the Vulcan Nomad 1600 with 2 year warranty. I know at least one poster rides a Nomad anyone have an opinion between these two great bikes?

It's not what you ride it's that you Ride.

Post Edited (VulcanRider06) : 6/13/2007 6:29:30 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 6/14/2007 12:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Save even more and get yourself a lightly used 2004 Nomad 1500Fi. My opinion is that they are better than the 1600 in several respects for the averaged sized guy. (I'm about 5'-11") Now if you're 6'-4" you might like the 1600 better, but guys my height are all having to put risers on the 1600 to get the bars in a comfortable position relative to the seat. The stock 1500 seat is more comfortable too IMO.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

VulcanRider06
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 6/14/2007 1:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
Save even more and get yourself a lightly used 2004 Nomad 1500Fi. My opinion is that they are better than the 1600 in several respects for the averaged sized guy. (I'm about 5'-11") Now if you're 6'-4" you might like the 1600 better, but guys my height are all having to put risers on the 1600 to get the bars in a comfortable position relative to the seat. The stock 1500 seat is more comfortable too IMO.

I thought about a used Nomad first and started looking around but really didn't find one I liked for sale close to where I live. (Seems most people keep their Nomads) I think it is going to come down to how much touring I will be doing and which one looks better with me. Kawa dealer willing to include Bag top Rails and Deluxe Cover seemed surprised I was considering a VS13 instead. I think no matter which bike I chose I will be very happy based on what everybody has to say here about the VS13 and what has been said about the Nomad in other Forums. The out the door price on the Nomad 12,300 and on the VS13 11,300 with Big Engine Bars and Bag Guards.  If I think my wife and I will be doing more 2-up riding even with her having the 900 I will opt for the Nomad if not the VS13 will definitely be my choice. The one I chose will be red. (Maybe Star dealer will match Kawa offer of the Cover, and I do like the side bag rails?)

VulcanRider06
06 Vulcan 900
VROC....23985

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/14/2007 2:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I were to buy a used one I'd definately try to get the 2004 model. That was the pinacle of Nomad evolution. IMO the 1600 was not a step forwards, but sideways.

I don't know how you'll feel. Talk to Mac_Muz. He's owned both the 1500 & 1600 Fi Nomads.

Although in certain small respects it is probably a better bike (for instance it has hydraulic cam chain tensioners,) the Yam 1300 really is not in the same class IMO, having much smaller bags, no dual exhaust, no drive shaft, wider V angle, and no rubber engine mounts, no air shocks, bar-mounted meters, shorter wheelbase & less rake, no air suspension, etc. plus it's 100 lbs lighter than the Nomad.

True it's $1000 less, but for that extra money you get a lot more bike. This is what's made the Nomad the value leader in big touring cruisers. It's not the quickest or the fastest or the most bling, but it's much more bike for the bucks than the competition and has been for the last 8 years.

"When in doubt, ride."

Greggo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007

Posted 6/14/2007 7:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought a new V-Star 1300 in December. It is time for a new rear tire... Now the fun begins. I can't find a tire. My dealer will sell me a Dunlop K555 for 239.00... OUCH. I cannot find another brand that currently makes a tire for my new 1300... Any ideas? The tire size is odd: 170-70-16

Greggo

VulcanRider06
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 6/15/2007 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
If I were to buy a used one I'd definately try to get the 2004 model. That was the pinacle of Nomad evolution. IMO the 1600 was not a step forwards, but sideways.

I don't know how you'll feel. Talk to Mac_Muz. He's owned both the 1500 & 1600 Fi Nomads.

Although in certain small respects it is probably a better bike (for instance it has hydraulic cam chain tensioners,) the Yam 1300 really is not in the same class IMO, having much smaller bags, no dual exhaust, no drive shaft, wider V angle, and no rubber engine mounts, no air shocks, bar-mounted meters, shorter wheelbase & less rake, no air suspension, etc. plus it's 100 lbs lighter than the Nomad.

True it's $1000 less, but for that extra money you get a lot more bike. This is what's made the Nomad the value leader in big touring cruisers. It's not the quickest or the fastest or the most bling, but it's much more bike for the bucks than the competition and has been for the last 8 years.

Thanks For the Quick Response.  I am leaning twords the nomad and agree its in a different class than the VS13, I have another month or two to decide. I think I would have bought the VS13 instead of the VN900 if it had been around at the same time, But then I would be buying my wife a new bike instead of me.

Greggo good luck with the tire sometimes it takes a year to have other options when other bikes don't share the same size. I'll keep my eyes out for you. also thanks for your response in PM.

VulcanRider06
06 Vulcan 900
VROC....23985

Post Edited (VulcanRider06) : 6/15/2007 8:47:31 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/15/2007 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greggo said...
I bought a new V-Star 1300 in December. It is time for a new rear tire... Now the fun begins. I can't find a tire. My dealer will sell me a Dunlop K555 for 239.00... OUCH. I cannot find another brand that currently makes a tire for my new 1300... Any ideas? The tire size is odd: 170-70-16

Get a Metzler Marathon ME880 160/80-16. That will be close enough. I buy these for about $136 from Southwest Mototire online.

"When in doubt, ride."

Greggo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007

Posted 6/15/2007 9:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Cadd,
Thanks for the reply. I had ME880 on my Shadow 750 and loved them. I am concerned about the size? I don't know that much about tires. Will that size be cool on my new V-Star? If so that is exactly what I will do.. For that price I will replace the front and rear at the same time... Thanks again for any help you can provide...

Greggo

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/16/2007 9:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It'll be (in theory) 4/10" narrower and about 7/10" taller. I say "in theory" because the styling differences of different brands make direct numerical comparison on paper somewhat less than exact.

Anyhow, the bike will probably corner quicker & use a little less gas because of the change. Ultimate sliding traction will probably be less, but the the rubber compounds are different so, again, comparisons on paper are approximate at best.

So, yes it will be a slight change. Will it be an acceptable change to you? (One that validates the $100 savings?) That I cannot tell you. Too much depends on what you expect from a bike and how you ride. The expectation is that we cruiser riders don't demand much & so probably wouldn't notice the difference. That's probably pretty close to the truth for a lot of us.

"When in doubt, ride."

SirMetro
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 6/16/2007 10:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the black 07 V-Star 1300 and I think I might be getting close to 200 miles now.

I think one of the coolest features about it is that it automatically turns off the turn signal (sorry if that sounds goofy).

I do hope to get to add hard saddle bags and a trunk to it here soon as well as a windsheild. For now, it's just stock.

Anyway, have fun folks.

Greggo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007

Posted 6/17/2007 5:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the info.. I will let you know how it goes...

Greggo

VulcanRider06
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 8/8/2007 7:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...

I ended up buying an 06 Roadliner midnight with only 419 miles and 4 years of warranty left for under 10,000.00 out the door. The bike included the midsized Windshield the optional lock set and a Mustang Vintage wide touring seat with driver backrest and the wider pasanger seat. I picked up from my Kaw dealer 3 hours after he accepted it on trade in for Sport Bike.  I was just there to pick up my 900 after having the Recall work done on the ECU. The deal was just to good to pass up a Slightly used Roadliner for the price of a Vstar1300, I experienced no problem from the Yamaha dealer down the road transfering the warranty.

VulcanRider06
06 Vulcan 900 (Now Belongs to the Boss)
06 Roadliner Midnight
VROC....23985

Ada Ada
Psychedelic Relic

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 297

Posted 8/9/2007 9:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
VulcanRider06 said...
CaddmannQ said...

I ended up buying an 06 Roadliner midnight with only 419 miles and 4 years of warranty left for under 10,000.00 out the door. The bike included the midsized Windshield the optional lock set and a Mustang Vintage wide touring seat with driver backrest and the wider pasanger seat. I picked up from my Kaw dealer 3 hours after he accepted it on trade in for Sport Bike.  I was just there to pick up my 900 after having the Recall work done on the ECU. The deal was just to good to pass up a Slightly used Roadliner for the price of a Vstar1300, I experienced no problem from the Yamaha dealer down the road transfering the warranty.

VulcanRider06
06 Vulcan 900 (Now Belongs to the Boss)
06 Roadliner Midnight
VROC....23985

THat was smart!  Good decision.  THe Roadliner will keep you happy longer, and it's the latest thing. Very good.

arless
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/26/2009 7:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the V star 1300 is a big block engine with big bike size It's not the fastest and but 10,000 + msrp when I can buy the vtx 1800 or the Vulcan 2000 classic both for $8000.00 used, with low low miles at or the Vulcan 900 classic brand new for $5,90.00 dollars at the same email address still not the fastest cruiser out there so lets see I'll take the v star 1300 or maybe the vulcan 900.???? all city driving hardly any freeway driving since I live in town. humm? toss up filp a coin bingo vulcan 900 classictongue

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 12/28/2009 6:22:02 PM GMT

arless
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/26/2009 8:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
there's no replacement for water cooled cruisers more compression more cam timing bigger fuel injection throttle bodys taller gearing for the freeway rides.