Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 BMW G650 Xmoto - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Harley1
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 247

Posted 4/16/2007 8:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BMW invited us to the Sonoran Desert to spin around the Santa Catalina Mountain range aboard the 2007 G650 Xmoto. Read what MCUSA Editor Ken Hutchison has to say about the supermoto and then sound off about BMW's latest endeavor.  

wapner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/16/2007 10:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't see any mention of how it compares to the KTM 690 that you recently reviewed. As a long time dirt biker and soon to be first time street rider both of these models appeal to me due to the roomy ergonomics and upright body position while riding. A nice looking bike (better looking than the KTM IMHO) even if the price is a bit steep. I would love to hear the opinions of some of the more experienced riders here. Great website by the way!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 4/16/2007 11:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like it suddenly makes the KTM 690 seem like a great value!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Holmes
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 495

Posted 4/16/2007 11:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've thrown a leg over these at the local dealer - nice looking bikes but not cheap. And sweet jeebus the seats are rock hard.

2006 Kawasaki Z750S
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1976 Yamaha XS650
1973 Honda CB750

RD350
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 14

Posted 4/16/2007 12:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only thing that would steer me from the KTM 690SM to the BMW would be more comfort and less vibration. This I would expect from a BMW.

However, all reports seem to indicate the KTM has the Beemer covered in these 2 departments. Plus the KTM has an extra 10hp. So why would anyone buy the BMW for more money?

I am sure the KTM seat isnt terrific by any stretch either. Just possibly better. (I would love to see a comparison between these 2 bikes)

Why cant manufacturers make bikes with comfortable seats? Are they in bed with the after market seat guys or what?

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 4/16/2007 12:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as the comparison of the two bikes goes: If I wrote about that I wouldnt have anything to talk with you about here in the forums. The Xmoto and 690 Supermoto are comparable even though the KTM has a bigger motor. They would be a great comparison but I am not dure if I will be able to get a comparo together. The BMW motor is more mellow than the 690 so far as I can recall. Both have moto-style seats but it is hard for me to recall which was better off the top of my head - they are not the same seat design. The BMW is very stylized and looks very cool and the other s more plain and simple.

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

wapner
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/16/2007 1:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Too bad I the KTM's exhaust pipe is routed the way that it is. It seems odd that they are going for the motard look and them put a hideous exhaust on it that reminds me of a '60's BSA. The lighter weight and the extra 10hp on the KTM might be just the ticket. One other bike that is coming out that has peaked my interest is the Ducati Hypermotard but it is much more expensive but has nearly 100hp if I remember right. Am I the only one curious about that bike?

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 4/16/2007 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I looked at both of the first rides and from that I would go with the KTM. But in real life with my money and buying a bike that is probably going to get beat up I would go with the Suzuki. I saw one in blk yesterday and spoke with the rider who absolutely loves it. It's like 3 grand less and he said the insurance was next to nothing. Yes it doesn't have hi level componets but it's for sliding around jumping curbs and getting in trouble. Anotherwise it's going to get a little bent.
Yesterday at the CMRA races you couldn't count how many home grow super moto were there.

Any word when the rest of the big 4 are going to follow?

Cap'n
Shiny Side Up

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 1064

Posted 4/16/2007 11:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Once again, a gushing article about a new beemer, which goes along great until the last paragraph, where they tell you how much it costs. I don't envy your jobs, folks. That bike shouldn't be any more than $7,999 tops. A 50-ish hp single, with no bodywork? I know, brembos, but still.

82 Suzi GS300L
02 Kawi Vulcan 500
07 Yam FZ6
4 Yrs, 18,000 miles
"The first thing to learn about street riding is not to start on an R6." -Luke

SC_shooter
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 31

Posted 4/17/2007 6:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now, when are we going see reviews on the other 2 X bikes? And maybe the KTM 640 Adventure while you're at it.

---
'99 KLR 650

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 4/18/2007 2:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The other Cross bikes are coming soon. The enduro was particularly fun.

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 8

Posted 4/19/2007 1:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Too bad BMW didn't have the nerve to build a "S" styled 650, similar to the R and F series.  Comeon BMW, your F650CS didn't sell because it was plain weird looking, not because it was a street single.  If the G650 Xmoto is a blast to ride on the street but needs a better seat and better protection, maybe it could use some excellent street styling as well.  Oh well, my money is better spent elsewhere.

-todd

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 9/14/2007 3:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This sounds like a solid choice for urban commuters with $9k to spend on a bike.  However, the reviewer claims that the bike has four-piston brake calipers.  powersportsnetwork.com says it only has two-piston calipers.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

masbuell
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 389

Posted 9/15/2007 9:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why cant manufacturers make bikes with comfortable seats? Are they in bed with the after market seat guys or what?

You sure have to wonder. I like bikes of all kinds. I mostly ride my 1984 Honda VFR1000F which in it's day was THE bike. It has a seat on it. I can move back more than 3" when I want. Now, it won't be mistaken for a Goldwing anytime soon but it is worlds ahead of what passes for a seat on sportbikes today. The stock ones SUCK!

If the aftermarket can replace the mini/maxi pads the OEMs are putting on bikes with something nearly the same size and have it be somewhat comfy what gives?!

If you ever, don't never, unless you will.

masbuell
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 389

Posted 9/15/2007 10:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry, I thought I pulled the opening quote from RD350: Why can't manufacturers make bikes with comfortable seats? Are they in bed with the after market seat guys or what? I think it's a good question.

If you ever, don't never, unless you will.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/15/2007 12:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
masbuell said...
 Why can't manufacturers make bikes with comfortable seats? Are they in bed with the after market seat guys or what? I think it's a good question.

The after market has a huge advantage.  The customer gives the seat maker a clue about the ass in question.  The manufactures are selling to a wide variety of ass shapes, and idea's of what is comfortable/or tolerable,  so they miss the target there, some.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/15/2007 1:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The seat on my way fun DRZ400SM is like a plank so the wife bought me a gel seat for last xmas.

First summer day at the office, in the sun, the heat gain was such that it burned my ass as I got on and as I rode futher it seemed, beyond logic, to get even hotter! This is wearing jeans with Kevlar in the ass no less.

Suzuki must have found the secret of producing heat with gel...some kind of freaking fuel cell.

I binned the thing and put the stock seat back on; it may be hard but at least it doesn't retain heat like a Weber BBQ!

I'm happy to pay $$ for a BMW Sport Tourer, (I've owned two and loved 'em both), but a $10,000 low power Supermoto?? No thx. The $6000 Zook's the ticket...at least if its the 3rd bike in your garage.