Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 Ducati Sport 1000  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
71 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 4/23/2007 10:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ducati brings us some retro flash to go with its modern dash, appealing to everyone from crusty Brit Rockers to freewheelin' hip-hoppers. Check out Motorcycle USA's 2007 Ducati Sport 1000 evaluation and share your thoughts.

Cap'n
Shiny Side Up

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 1064

Posted 4/23/2007 11:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nother fine review by Kevin. That might be my ideal second bike.

82 Suzi GS300L
02 Kawi Vulcan 500
07 Yam FZ6
4 Yrs, 18,000 miles
"The first thing to learn about street riding is not to start on an R6." -Luke

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 4/23/2007 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As the owner of an '06 monoposto, I found the article to be right on in almost all respects.

Yes, that stupid evap can is hideous, and the cheap stamped bracket holding it is so out of charater considering the quality of finish on the rest of the bike, Ducati may as well have written "REMOVE ME IMMEDIATELY" right on it.  If you do a complete removal as I did, total items required are two 5-mm hex screws and some blue loctite.

I wonder about the dyno readings.  All the published dyno charts for the '06 Sport 1000 and Paul Smart gave 80 hp or slightly more.  I think the GT 1000 (which has similar exhaust to the '07 SC MCUSA tested) may have given around 78.  75 seems low, but Motorcyclist reported the same number.  Maybe Ducati has figured out how to strangle this motor even further?  Let's hope it is nothing that can't be fixed with pipes and minor intake mods.  There is a lot more to be had from these motors with relatively little effort, especially in the midrange where it counts.

Regardless, the power is extremely useable.  In the lower three gears there is enough on tap for ferocious acceleration anywhere above 4000 rpm.  And if you get to 8000 rpm in third you are really, really speeding.  I will definitely lower the final drive gearing on mine, since I currently have no use for either fifth or sixth gear.  Not sure if they backed off from 15/38 on the 07.  I think the GT got 15/39 which is a very minor difference.  The bike wants 14/40 or something like that.

Totally agree about the tires.  They look cool but otherwise are not great.  I can't wait to burn mine up so I can get some M3s on there.  Maybe I should do some juvenile burnouts as in one of your photos.

Riding position is definitely extreme, even with the risers (which I have also recently installed on my bike).  And yes the suspension is not great, especially the forks.  Traxxion Dynamics will install their cartridges in the Marzocchi boingers for abut $1000.  That may be in my future.  Honestly though, that's just finding an excuse to spend money, because the stock suspension is perfectly adequate for my level of riding. 

I have never owned a bike which sparked so much interest from others.  I constantly have other riders pulling up beside me at lights to ask me questions about it.  It just really seems to strike a cord with people - sportbike riders and the cruiser crowd alike.   Perfect bike for me at this point in my riding life, when I am not willing to take the risks that come with hardcore street riding, but still want something with truly entertaining performance that is also fun and relatively unique.  It really is a unique niche that this bike occupies, and it surely is not for everyone.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 4/23/2007 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mo-usa, I have to say that your videos are really good! One request, it would be nice if there was an option to mute the music but not the sound of the bike (for all the videos, not just this one), cuz quite frankly I think anyone watching the bike videos wants to here the motor.
The bike of course is gorgeous. Of course I'm biased but the level of detail and quality of finish really belies its price. It looks like some sort of custom restoration.
I just wished it had the new 1100cc motor that's in the Multistrada.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 8

Posted 4/23/2007 12:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm still hoping Ducati will release a 695 version of the sport classics. I have no need for 1000cc's or the extra weight and cost associated with it. If the target audience is people who like vintage bikes then that audience is the type happy with 40 or 50HP. On that note, maybe a Ducati 500 single cyl. Sport Classic would be even better.

-todd

Cap'n
Shiny Side Up

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 1064

Posted 4/23/2007 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
-todd said...
I'm still hoping Ducati will release a 695 version of the sport classics. I have no need for 1000cc's or the extra weight and cost associated with it. If the target audience is people who like vintage bikes then that audience is the type happy with 40 or 50HP. On that note, maybe a Ducati 500 single cyl. Sport Classic would be even better.

-todd
I'm gonna go on a limb and say that would *never* happen.  Pretty much never, anyway.  I suspect their target audience likes hp a little more than think they do.  I'm small and light, and not necessarily in love with power, but even I think the bikes are just about perfect where they are.  Meanwhile, some popular magazines who shall remain nameless are panning the sport 1000 (and especially the more aneamic Thurxton) as being woefully underpowered.  Dumb, but that's what a lot of buyers think.

Oh and the larger motors don't really add extra weight, by the way.  Nothing you'd notice, anyway.  That was something I thought too, when I first got started.  What the extra cc's gets you is really good useable grunt down low, which is wonderful around town.  To put it in context, I actually think the FZ1 might be more my kind of bike, in the scheme of things, than the FZ6, just because of the more relaxed motor at cruising speeds.  I'm a bit of a convert, I guess.  Owning an over-achieving 600 is teaching me a lot about the difference between torque and horsepower.

82 Suzi GS300L
02 Kawi Vulcan 500
07 Yam FZ6
4 Yrs, 18,000 miles
"The first thing to learn about street riding is not to start on an R6." -Luke

Post Edited (Cap'n) : 4/23/2007 8:50:03 PM GMT

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 4/23/2007 11:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great write up, the video was fantastic!  I didn't think the music was too overdone but I second what Desmo said.  Not everyone enjoys the same kind of music but everybody loves the sound of Ducati V-twins! (yes, everybody)  Also, Brian J. Nelson takes some geat pictures!

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 4/24/2007 6:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I got to ride this machine and the GT 1000 at a dealer demo ride. They both are sweet rides, but I guess I've been spoiled by the Japanese performance per dollar ratio. To spend $10000+ for inferior tube tires, spoke wheel limitations, and the added maintenance, etc. seems a bit steep to me, especially if it was my only bike. Of all of the Ducatis I test rode, the Multistradi 1100S was the most impressive. With the Ohlins suspension, it goes for 14 grand. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride the standard 1100 to compare it's suspension to the Ohlins. This was my first ride on Ohlins equipment and it sure does a great job of soaking up the terrain, allowing you to track so precisely. Still, like the YZFR1LE, I wonder if it is worth the price for those of us that would have to stretch our budget just to own a Ducati. In fairness to Ducati, this is my issue with most Euro machinery except Triumph which seems to offer pretty reasonably priced bikes. Both the Multistrada 1100 and Triumph Tiger look like two of the best choices for do it all motorcycles if you had to own only on with a different personality than the typical UJM. Now if that doggone Super Duke was only ten grand.....

Post Edited (Flickmeister) : 4/24/2007 1:12:42 PM GMT

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/24/2007 8:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, someone with sharp eyes over at Ducati.ms who watched the video noticed a pretty big boo-boo. The article talks about the retro Pirelli Phantom tires, but the bike in the video and pictures is wearing Michelins! I don't know if all 2007 SC bikes have Michelins or not. The '06 SC and PS all had the retro phantoms, but I think the GT had Michelins.

Someone else on the other site was also criticizing the "stunt model"'s riding style. :) Apparently he doesn't lean his body into the corners enough, letting the bike lean underneath him but keeping his body relatively upright. I'll defend the rider and say that his fairly neutral (to my eye) body position is actually useful when you are concerned not only with corner speed, but also with being able to see around the next bend. But it is kinda lazy riding :) :) Getting your weight more to the inside of the corner can be beneficial if some surprise forces you to suddenly tighten your line signficantly - makes sure you don't run out of lean angle. Of course you won't narrow your chicken strips as quickly, if that is important to you. Which it might well be if you are the type of rider who is really into wheelies.....

Am I banned yet?

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005

Posted 4/24/2007 9:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think that was Kevin Duke riding.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/24/2007 10:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motorwerks919 said...
 I didn't think the music was too overdone but I second what Desmo said.  Not everyone enjoys the same kind of music but everybody loves the sound of Ducati V-twins! (yes, everybody) 
Thing is, it's not just for the Ducs.  I like to hear what all the bikes sound like with stock exhausts.  A Kawi sounds noticeably different to a Honda etc etc.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/24/2007 12:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem with me is that I've ridden the last 17 years on used bikes. These used bikes have similar styling to the sport classics but with maybe 50HP at most. Sure I've ridden bikes with (much) more power but the extra performance did not justify the cost. Even bikes with around 30HP are still faster than almost any car on the road and, yes, they weigh less. My GB500 weighs approx 350 lbs and gets close to 60 MPG. I've rarely been in a situation where it did not have enough power, even at 33HP.

I think I'm part of the target audience Ducati was after. I don't quite care for super sport bikes or cruisers and am not driven to buy based on spec sheets. I like a good looking bike. But come on, a 1000cc bike underpowered? I guess compared to a GSXR1000 it is but those things are amazing. How fast do you need to go? Or is it that people don't like to rev a motor and lug it around in top gear all the time?

I guess I'm just lamenting the loss of the perfectly capable commuter bike.

-todd

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/24/2007 1:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could just get a Monster 620 used. Put spoke wheels on it if that's your bag, et voila! Would cost you anything between 4-$6K.
p.s. I've ridden a GB500. It was about 2 years ago and my hands are still numb from the vibes....

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 4/24/2007 7:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great bike, great video, great website!

This is a bike with more than just nostalgia appeal. I am in my thirties, I love the it. A 695 would be wonderful. A 500cc single would not interest me...not enough power.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 4/24/2007 7:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know, I wonder if you could create a pseudo-sport classic using a little monster as your starting point.... That would be a fun bike to own.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

Trailminded
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 4/25/2007 4:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Look how content Duke is on this wonderful New Duc!

Wind Traveler...

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/25/2007 7:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Went for a ride last night. I still have the stock overly tall gearing, and no power-enhancing mods except a slightly opened airbox and richer fueling (aftermarket pipes do wonders for the midrange on these bikes, but I haven't felt the need yet). Even so, the bike pulls like a train from 4000 rpm in the first three gears, and 4000 rpm in third is 50 mph...which means redline in third is over 100 mph. In fourth you want a few more revs for really exciting performance, but even in fourth from 4000 rpm (60 mph) it takes off pretty good. Fifth and sixth I guess are just there in case you go to the autobahn or salt flats - I can't find any use for them where I ride.

My point here is just that this is a completely adequate motor for very spirited and even law-breaking backroad riding. If you need a bike that will loft the front wheel at will in third gear with just a bit of throttle, then no, this will not satisfy you. Look to a GSXR1000 or something. But for 99% of us, 75 (80?) hp, delivered at such low rpm, is plenty.

Let me try to describe it differently. My last Duc (2000 750SSie) was very different. It probably had a similar power curve to an SV650, handled well, and was fun to ride. But it needed more power. This was most obvious in long (fast) sweeping corners. If you got into the corner and realized you had more room for some acceleration, even with careful gear selection, there often wasn't much available when you turned the throttle - just a mild bit of acceleration. By contrast, with this DS1000 motor, anytime you turn the throttle in a fast corner you get instant and significant acceleration, allowing you to "steer with the throttle" - just keep applying more juice and let the bike move naturally towards the outside of the turn, without any change in steering input. This is a VERY significant difference in riding style that is facilitated by the extra grunt, even though on paper the difference is moderate - 60 hp vs 80 hp. The numbers simply don't tell the story. This engine is exactly what I was looking for when I decided to make a step up.

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 4/25/2007 9:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol "stunt model"

For the record, not EVERYONE likes a 2-cyl "symphony". 'Sonic-parsley' to me...
Unmuzzled triples using the old Trident's firing order light me up.

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005

Posted 4/25/2007 9:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smax said...
lol "stunt model"

For the record, not EVERYONE likes a 2-cyl "symphony". 'Sonic-parsley' to me...
Unmuzzled triples using the old Trident's firing order light me up.

I was exaggerating for humorous effect.

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 113

Posted 4/26/2007 10:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YellowDuck,

What you are experiencing on your Sport 1000 is torque, not horsepower. Yes, they are related, but max HP usually occurs at max RPMs, where max torque is lower down the rev range. In the case of the DS1000 motor, the torque curve is broad and flat, with big numbers from 4000 to 8000 RPMs. Its too bad the buying public only looks at the peak HP numbers most of the time; they're missing one of the best engines for street bikes.

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/26/2007 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Acceleration varies directly with force at the rear wheel.

F = P / V (force = power / velocity)

So in terms of generating acceleration (force), 50 hp at 25 mph is the same as 100 hp at 50 mph.

But it is still hp that makes the bike go. I like to talk about hp because rear wheel hp is the same in every gear at a given engine rpm, whereas rear wheel torque at a given engine rpm is different in every gear.

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/26/2007 12:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Speaking of GSXR1000's, they actually have a more powerful and even wider torque spread than the 1000DS motor. Looking up the respcetive charts the GSXR has about 60ftlb at 3500RPM, 85 at 8500, and 65 way up at 12000. The "torquey" Duc twin only manages a respectful 55 @ 3500, 65 @ 5500, and petering out at 55 @ 8500. Not to mention the Suzuki is geared quite a bit lower than the Ducati (something around 30% lower) so there's actually an additional 30% more torque available at the rear wheel.

To summarize:
GSXR1000= 70% more torque at the wheel
70% wider power band (3500-12000 vs 3500-8500)
4% lighter
4% more expensive
100% more reliable
100% not as good looking

-todd

Procyon
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 11

Posted 4/26/2007 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FINALLY! Hello to All........My ISP has talked to MCUSA'a webmaster about rejected mail and noncompliant host names, etc. and VOILA.......I can now talk to you!

I loved the review of the '07 Ducati Sport 1000. Kevin Duke was right on when he wrote that the Duc would appeal to aged sportbikers who may have been around when the legendary 750SS was unleashed on us some 30 years ago. GAWD, did I lust after that bike. I can remember racers such as Kurt Liebermann running circles around us on tracks like Bridgehampton, N.Y. and making fools of us on our "proper" Brit bike Cafe racers.

January of this year, I bought my first Ducati ( I was getting too old to have never owned one). It's a tangerine yellow, '07 Sport 1000 Biposto....just like the one in the article. Like Kevin wrote, it is one very fun bike to ride. Most of the fun is centered around the engine / transmission. The DS1000 motor is a joy to experience. And the tranny just makes it even better with real world ratios that give a low first gear and an over-drive style top gear.

Chassis, suspension, tires and brakes all work well enough together to put a smile on any riders face. After seeing the photo of Kevin's broad grin while wheelying the Duc, I now have a clue as to how I must look like while riding mine (minus the wheelie, of course).

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 4/26/2007 2:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yellow Duck said...
Hey, someone with sharp eyes over at Ducati.ms who watched the video noticed a pretty big boo-boo. The article talks about the retro Pirelli Phantom tires, but the bike in the video and pictures is wearing Michelins!
Mea culpa! The tires on our bike were Michelin Pilot Classics, so I'm dreadfully sorry about this factual error. I read the Ducati PR from last year in which it talks about the Pirelli Phantoms and then made the asssumption our '07 bike had the same tires. I recognized a vintage-style tread tread pattern and assumed they were the Pirellis. Again, I greatly regret this error. The text has now been changed.

Yellow Duck said...
Someone else on the other site was also criticizing the "stunt model"'s riding style. :) Apparently he doesn't lean his body into the corners enough, letting the bike lean underneath him but keeping his body relatively upright. I'll defend the rider and say that his fairly neutral (to my eye) body position is actually useful when you are concerned not only with corner speed, but also with being able to see around the next bend.
Thanks for defending the rider, YD, as that was me! A few things:

Yes, not leaning your head inward allows a more expansive view of what's around the corner.

Also, most rider coaches recommend keeping your eyes level with the horizon.

Third, I typically don't like to hang off much when I'm riding on the street, as dragging one's knee in a corner is a pretty sure sign to the oncoming state trooper that you're exceeding speed and prudence limits.

I'd also like to pose this question: If we could ressurect Mike Hailwood and put him on this bike, would anyone criticize him for not hanging off in the corners! smilewinkgrin

Finally, thanks to all those of you who tell us that they've been entertained or enlightened with this (or any) test. It's always a deep pleasure to hear that we've done a good job.

-KD, Former MotorcycleUSA Editor

Post Edited (Kevin Duke) : 4/26/2007 11:06:36 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 4/26/2007 4:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm totally with Kevin on the body position. People that actually know how to ride right for where they are at, don't do "wrong" things that are right for some place else.

Not to say there isn't any shortage of chowder heads, but, a savy rider can use the right roll model. (seeing or not seeing around a corner isn't a valid concept unless your SuperMan and see through rock) If the road is clear of visual obstruction you will see if you look, if a bank or folage or whatever blocks the view, you won't see, by moving your head a foot or two, and when you can't see, the body lean is insanely wrong anyway.

Mike Hailwood didn't even feel it helped him on the track situation (in his time)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 4/26/2007 11:23:01 PM GMT