Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2007 BMW Xchallenge & Xcountry - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 5/14/2007 11:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Take a look at what we thought about the new 650 Singles from BMW. One is said to be a Hard Enduro and the other a reincarnated Scrambler - here's what we thought.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 5/14/2007 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, suddenly the F800 seems like a killer deal for the money!
So, to sum up, the KTMs will beat the Beemers like red headed step children in the dirt and have much larger tank range for similar money. The new Kawi KLR650 for $3k less may do the same on the street while still having dirt road capability.
I'm looking forward to your 2008 KLR review, that bike looks like a bargain.
p.s. isn't the Arizona desert an amazing place to ride?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 5/14/2007 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shame on BMW, Shame Shame Shame. "touted by BMW as an Off Road Machine" That's one serious lie.

When "off road" crosses the marketing hype lips, there is no room for 2.5 gals of gas, and only journo double speak can follow that with 54 MPG on the X Country means that you can concentrate more on riding then stressing about your next fuel stop. First place, where did they come up with 54 MPG? Climbing hills, dropping into ravines and threading through rocks and tree's in lower gears? Crossing streams? (could be dry river beds of nothing but river rock) pinning the throttle on open visable nothing perventing top speed terrain? Of course not. No stress about getting to the next fuel stop? In the Desert? Want to tell the truth, some of the time or all the time?

There were specks of truth, like "getting the bike to turn isn't nearly as easy as hauling ass in a straight line" but, is that truth? Since when is a straight line guaranteed? You haul ass in as much (or as long) a straight line as you can see, but, you discover as you go, things to dodge/avoid, that requires sharp/precise moves. Yes you did say "we found ourselves hitting plenty of objects we should of easily avoided". But somehow, the report sounds like your still talking about a desireable bike, not a pig thats a struggle.

Maybe if one of those hits was called a rock, and that rock, translated to a pinched tube, and flat tire, and were you equiped to repair a flat in the desert?

To over state something like "it's not a GNCC weapon" or "it's not an Enduro" doesn't get you off the hook, unless you come clean and say plainly it's nothing but pathetic, unless kept in bounds of close to pavement and close to camp and putt putt some gravel/dirt roads, by riders that have no mental or physical desire to do more, than that. Entertaining a fantacy that they could do more, with their high dollar "off road Machine", but they just want to keep it a thought, not an actual.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 5/14/2007 3:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou, my man.

First - "They" didn't come up with 54 mpg - I did - by carefully tracking the miles traveled vs. fuel consumed during our Xcountry ride. Your white-hot rage must have kept you from reading two sentences further where I explain that the Xchallenge won't see those kinds of numbers and explained why. You also would have seen that BMW claimed 62 mpg. The point is that it's fuel efficient. Considering that it has more capacity than almost any of the 450 enduros, Husky's 510 and a KTM 525, yet less than the TE610, 640 Adventure or XR650 - all of which are considered off-road bikes - it's pretty safe to say that BMW is at least in the ballpark.

Second - We're talking about dirt bikes here, Lou. Making reference to a straight line obviously doesn't mean a drag strip. Try not to take things so literally, ok?

Third - If it came across like I was describing a desirable bike that's because I was. Maybe not for you, but that doesn't mean everyone else is such a hater.

Fourth - What does pinching a tube on a rock and my ability to fix it have to do with anything?

Fifth - BMW calls this bike a Hard Enduro - I said you can't race a GNCC with it. Who's aggrandizing things here? Try not to read too many other impressions on this bike, Lou. What'll happen when you discover that all editors are just incompetent, red-faced liars like me?

Desmo - Yes and yes. It is a bargain, and I intend to return to the Arizona desert for future awesome riding.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/14/2007 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Damn Hilde, I'm really missing the AZ desert. While the CA desert is mainly scrub, tumble weeds and dust, in AZ you see fantastic rock formations, great cactus and other plants, hard packed red rock etc etc. I only drove my Jeep out there, but really could see how great it would be on a bike.
Next time, head a bit north and within the same region you can see the red rock of Sedona and then the pine forests and mountains of the Flagstaff area. All with dirt riding access.
I gotta get outta here...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 5/14/2007 7:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I thought it was a great report. You were honest about the problems with the x-challenge. In print magazines you almost never read a negative comment about a bike.

They injected this engine about five years ago. At first there were alot of complaints about surging. But apparently they have resolved that now.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/14/2007 9:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Until a CA spec bike (or even USA production spec) is tested, the surging may still be there.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 5/14/2007 10:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmm... Overall I like the Xchallenge. I can't seem to care for the Xcountry all that much --- it just doesnt "do it" for me. The Xchallenge looks like it is a good starting point for a good all-around dual sport.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

BuzzinNH
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/15/2007 6:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou, You sound like one angry guy. Have you tried a 650XCH?  I have both on road and off, and I think it's a great ride. The suspension is not up to KTM standards but what is.  I like the fact that I would not have to check valves nearly as often, change oil after every long weekend, or spend as much time with maintenance as my past KTM's. I am an almost mid 40's father of two who just wants to get out one the trails on weekends and maybe one night a week and have some fun on both NH single track and fast fire roads. I am not looking to compete in enduro's or hare scrambles. The BMW feels much lighter then it should, and it will carry me the 20 miles to the trails at a good clip without the numbing vibrations of the KTM adventure. I am also looking at the Husky 610TE, but that also has a tight maintenance schedule. Unfortunately I have limited time and would rather ride than wrench. Not every bike has to be a hard edge racing machine.     

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/15/2007 8:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Buzz, sounds like everything you described could be done better for less with a Suz DR400. but hey, if you want to drop that extra $3k...
If the new KLR650 is as good as it reads, that has to be the best deal in motorcycling.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

BuzzinNH
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/15/2007 9:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have taken a DRZ400 for a day. It does not compare. I still want some power.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 5/15/2007 10:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whoops! I forgot to include the GPS track of our Xcountry ride, my bad. You can see it now through the links on Page 3.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 5/15/2007 5:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BuzzinNH said...
I have taken a DRZ400 for a day. It does not compare. I still want some power.

OK, that clears things up lol (see I'm not angry, I'm laughing, I also know how fast the DRZ400 can go, if you know how to look ahead and shred with the throttle twisted, in the dirt) You mean you want more power on pavement?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 5/16/2007 3:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tros,
I know just what you mean about the Xcountry not "doing it" for you. I had the same problem when I showed up in Arizona. I'll tell you a little secret, though - I had more fun on the Xcountry than either the Xchallenge or Xmoto. Much of that had to do with the terrain and our guides' complete disregard for speeding laws, but still, I was pleasantly surprised. cool

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 8

Posted 5/18/2007 1:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those are cool and all but why didn't they make a G650S?  I love the styling of the F800S and think a 650 version would be a good success, at least much beeter than their weird CS and the odd Xcountry.  Why must everyone who wants a single cyl. road bike be stuck with a compromising dirt bike or funky styling?

Give me a G650S and I'm gold.

-todd

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/18/2007 3:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cuz Todd, given their recent pricing history a single cylinder sport bike from BMW would cost about $9K and you'd be the only one who claims that he would buy one....

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/19/2007 7:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just noticed that the Xchallenge, Xcountry, and Xmoto do not have centerstands. You can't even get one as an option. That is a big change for BMW.

-todd
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 8

Posted 5/20/2007 5:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

some people are prepared to pay a premium for a BMW, otherwise they would not be as successful as they are.  I mean, BMW knows that some people will pay more for a Xthis or Xthat when they can get a (class leader) XR650l or KLR for much much less.  BMW lowered the price on the CS and also gave dealer incentives to move them out.  What they don't understand is that people didn't buy them because they were weird looking, not because they were slower than an SV650 or because of the price. 

BMW is banking on panache.

-todd

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/20/2007 9:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I don't see the point of the Xchallenge.  It seems too much like a Japanese dirt bike to me.  With that model, the naysayers are right: you should just buy a Honda 650 instead.  Particularly since ABS is not so helpful offroad.

The Xcountry and Xmoto would be fun streetbikes to own.  They look very light and nimble.  And ABS is a great bonus on the street. Sure they have no top end but 70mph will FEEL very fast on an Xcountry.

I would also point out that some of that "panache" is deserved.  BMW has a storied history on two wheels and four. I would be proud to say that I owned a BMW....if I were rich enough to own one :(

However, even I can't endorse these machines wholeheartedly.  I think that BMW should include switchable ABS on EVERY bike as a standard feature.  Sure other makes use it, but BMW has the strongest commitment to ABS.  It is a core part of their product.  If you pay for a new BMW, it should always have switchable ABS.

Mojav
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 28

Posted 4/2/2008 8:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I own a 2005 DR650 and a F650GS Dakar. The DR is modded into a very competent dualsport bike - my total cost for it now is about $5500, of which $2,000 are serious suspension mods and a Mikuni flatslide. It has a 5 gallon IMS tank for a 200-250 mile range. The Dakar has an almost 4.5 gallon tank for a 250 mile range also. This bike can do light offroad, and 500 mile days.

Except for the Moto (and I don't like Motos) I just don't see the point of the X bikes, the range is too short for adventure rides in the deserts of California and Nevada, don't even think about Baja. So you have a bike that will be 10K OTD and it does what? Toddles around town? Uh, no thanks. Apparently the chaps on The Chaingang think maybe they will hang onto their F650's.

BTW, I have owned a /5 and a /7 airhead, loved them, great solid bikes. I would like to get another R1100-R12000 Boxer but I'm pretty much put off by the new direction BMW has taken - failing clutch splines, blown final drives, gernading engines. It used to be with a BMW you cried once when you bought it but laughed when first 100,000 miles then 200,000 miles went by with essentially no mechanical problems. Now you pay a lot and what, cross your fingers? Since the X bikes are essentially Aprillas they will probably be pretty solid, but please, BMW is fast losing the basis of their mystique.