Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2008 Harley-Davidsons - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
29 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Harley1
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 247

Posted 8/13/2007 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harley-Davidson has been busy preparing for 2008. Highlights include the release of three new models, new Brembo brakes, ABS on its Touring, VRSC and CVO models, bigger engines in the V-Rods and the continuing construction of a world-class museum in Milwaukee. Speak out about the 2008 Harley-Davidson First Rides article here in the forum.

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 217

Posted 8/13/2007 12:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a fantastic line-up from Harley.  If I was in the market for a bike, I wouldn't know which Harley I'd want most.  Visually, they all have great appeal so I'd definitely want a spin and think long and hard about which bike I could live with.  The Night Rod is just this side of Mad Max, I love it.  The Fat Bob and Sportster Nightster are really nice additions.  I'd recommend the latter to lady friends.  The Rocker isn't my cup of tea, but I'm sure it will appeal to some, although I'm not sure it's going to be the hot seller the gee whiz appeal of it might suggest...could be wrong there though it might blow everything away sales-wise.  My favorite though is still the Softail custom, hopefully thats my next bike.yeah

designeraccd
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 38

Posted 8/14/2007 3:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All this gushing praise about the stylish new wonders of the '08 hardleez almost makes me yearn for my modded '04 1200R: after pouring over $3500 into her she DID handle (for an H-D), and did look really good with a Factory custom repaint, plus lots other eye candy goodies. Despite everything tho she couldn't begin to stay close to my '06 FJR on back roads, but then she was a HARLEY so what more needs to be said??! Besides, she was LOUD, so that was good...right??!  LOL! Actually of the 79 bikes I've had that 1200R is one of my top 3 favorites, but due to on going ill health I really couldn't ride her anymore, sniff..............DFO cry
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
8jan14sm.jpg
  86KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 241 time(s).

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 8/14/2007 4:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As usual the Sporty gets snubbed with little mention of any really big news. Instead they bring up the lack of Sportster on the tank. The last time the MoCo had Sportster on the tank was before they went to rubber mounted engines so this is nothing new, What is new is the dropping of the peanut tank for the R model which owners have cried about since 2004. The 3.3 gallon tank just wasn't cutting it and the conversion was costing close to $800. For 2008, the 1200R model will now have the 4.5 gallon tank right from the factory. Another issue owners have had is the poor quality rear shocks which bottom out when the are on the highest setting and still 100 pounds off the GVWR. No changes there so owners will still be faced with an upgrade that costs $300 or more depending on how you go. One thing is certain, after 50 years the Sporty is still a load of fun to ride....

Blacktooth Grin
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 43

Posted 8/14/2007 7:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HogWild said...
As usual the Sporty gets snubbed with little mention of any really big news. Instead they bring up the lack of Sportster on the tank. The last time the MoCo had Sportster on the tank was before they went to rubber mounted engines so this is nothing new,
Actually, my '04 is rubber mounted and says Sportster on the tank.

Zackleys

2004 HD XL883

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 8/14/2007 7:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Blacktooth Grin said...
HogWild said...

As usual the Sporty gets snubbed with little mention of any really big news. Instead they bring up the lack of Sportster on the tank. The last time the MoCo had Sportster on the tank was before they went to rubber mounted engines so this is nothing new,
Actually, my '04 is rubber mounted and says Sportster on the tank.

I believe the 883 models with the peanut tank had Sportster on them but the 4.5 gallon tanks on the 883 or the 1200 models regardless of tank size all had HD on them. The R model has always had HD on the tank.......

jboland
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 90

Posted 8/14/2007 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The new bikes look okay. I really like the improvements to the touring line and the V-Rods. I'm sad to see three of my favorite big twin models get the axe - the Springer Classic, the Wide Glide, and the Softail Standard. Sure, you can still get a Springer or a Wide Glide in duded-up CVO/limited edition form, but its not the same thing. I'm particularly shocked by the loss of the Softail Standard, the one Softail that a regular guy could afford and then customize however he wants - the proverbial "blank slate". Now all the models in the Softail line are so narrowly focused and none are particularly affordable; it's solidified the Softail line as the showboats for RUBs. As for the Sportsters, well, its sort of goofy to think that people don't know that a Sportster is a Harley Davidson, thus necessitating changing the name on the tank. But, whatever. The Nighster made a big slash earlier this year. I'm not sure what other new Sportster models they could have introduced for the new model year that would be better than that. The chassis and drivetrain are not in need of an update yet, though I expect 6-speed tranny's are in the works for sometime in the future. The next changes they make will probably be more emissions-related tinkering and, judging by the heat problems with the TC96's, I'm not sure that's such a good thing for Sportster devotees.

Harley1
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 247

Posted 8/14/2007 10:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, HogWild. Didn't mean to disappoint with my limited coverage of the Sporty, but I'm obligated to focus more on what's new for 2008 and out of the various Harley families, the Sportster's spec sheet reads pretty much the same. Believe me, during the press intro, every time a journo threw a leg over the Nightster, Roadster or Custom they had a smile on their face. It was the one bike that everybody had a little fun on, burning some tires or doing old-school Evel Knievel-style wheelies on.

Bikes slated to for the new tank graphics are the XL 883, 883L, 883C, 1200R and the 1200C.

The Nighster continues to sport the 3.3-gallon fuel tank. It has new slash-cut chrome staggered mufflers. It's quick and agile and a blast to ride, even when I got caught on it in a big thunderstorm while riding back into Baltimore during the press intro. I got soaked head to toe, but the bike held fast for me even when the highway was covered with almost an inch of water from the deluge.

The XL 883 and XL 883L continue to sport the classic peanut fuel tank. H-D uses the larger 4.5-gallon tank on the 1200s for obvious reasons. The XL1200 R was a hot-ticket item during the intro. The Roadster's dirt-track handlebars are a sweet variation over the other models. With its black 13-spoke cast aluminum wheels and black powder-coated engine, it's a sharp looking combo that's quick off the line and holds a good line in turns. Made me want to find the nearest dirt track.

And like all the other Harley lines, the Sportster is offered in a limited-production, serialized 105th anniversary edition. H-D is using both the XL 1200C and the XL1200L for the anniversary model. The two-tone copper and black paint scheme looks hot on this bike. The added chrome of the 1200C on the anniversary edition is the cherry on the sundae. It tops it off just right.

Post Edited (Harley1) : 8/14/2007 5:36:37 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2008_XL_1200C_Anniversary_E.jpg
  140KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 493 time(s).

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/14/2007 12:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dems sho are purdy bikes

Børk! Børk! Børk!

morganw
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 29

Posted 8/14/2007 6:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Am I the only one that noticed the lack of the Street Rod in the 2008 lineup. It's true! Harley riders don't care about corners.

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 8/14/2007 8:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harley1 said...
Hey, HogWild. Didn't mean to disappoint with my limited coverage of the Sporty, but I'm obligated to focus more on what's new for 2008 and out of the various Harley families, the Sportster's spec sheet reads pretty much the same. Believe me, during the press intro, every time a journo threw a leg over the Nightster, Roadster or Custom they had a smile on their face. It was the one bike that everybody had a little fun on, burning some tires or doing old-school Evel Knievel-style wheelies on.

Bikes slated to for the new tank graphics are the XL 883, 883L, 883C, 1200R and the 1200C.

The Nighster continues to sport the 3.3-gallon fuel tank. It has new slash-cut chrome staggered mufflers. It's quick and agile and a blast to ride, even when I got caught on it in a big thunderstorm while riding back into Baltimore during the press intro. I got soaked head to toe, but the bike held fast for me even when the highway was covered with almost an inch of water from the deluge.

The XL 883 and XL 883L continue to sport the classic peanut fuel tank. H-D uses the larger 4.5-gallon tank on the 1200s for obvious reasons. The XL1200 R was a hot-ticket item during the intro. The Roadster's dirt-track handlebars are a sweet variation over the other models. With its black 13-spoke cast aluminum wheels and black powder-coated engine, it's a sharp looking combo that's quick off the line and holds a good line in turns. Made me want to find the nearest dirt track.

And like all the other Harley lines, the Sportster is offered in a limited-production, serialized 105th anniversary edition. H-D is using both the XL 1200C and the XL1200L for the anniversary model. The two-tone copper and black paint scheme looks hot on this bike. The added chrome of the 1200C on the anniversary edition is the cherry on the sundae. It tops it off just right.

Hey thanks H1 it's nice to see some down to earth stuff on the Sporty for a change. As an owner of the 1200R (2004) I've gone through the tank swap, S model suspension upgrade and of course the stage 1 upgrade. I too love the bars and every time I ride a C model I'm reminded just how much better they do feel. As you have said, the Roadster does hold a good line in a turn and it's even more positive with the addition of a race brace.

I wasn't too pleased with that off colored copper they have used for the 2008 LE units.

In regards to the Nightster, they can't keep them in stock around these parts and there are more than a few running around the area. To me, this is the bike they should have used as a platform for the 50th anniversary model. The bike has tremendous potential if you're looking to build.

In talking to more than a few owners of the FI models, it would appear they are having trouble making the fuel mileage or range of the carb models so I'm not sure what's up with that. In any flavor, the Sporty has a wide range of possibilities and the fun factor remains high for a bike that has been in production for 5 decades...

That's a nice looking C model but I'll stick with this Roadster...

Thanks again H1.....

Post Edited (HogWild) : 8/15/2007 3:30:36 AM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Sporty 1.jpg
  98KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 274 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Sporty 2.jpg
  96KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 244 time(s).

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 8/15/2007 1:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HogWild said...

That's a nice looking C model but I'll stick with this Roadster...

Thanks again H1.....
NICE!!!!

They say you're only young once! I'm trying to make it last...

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 8/16/2007 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"new territory" indeed! How are any of these bikes new territory, even for such an unprogressive company as Harley? Slow steering, slow air cooled V-twins (Vrod excepted), laid back, retro styled. Sounds just like any other HD to me.

The first time that HD get off their complacent backsides and give us a 400cc supermoto, a 600 supersport, a 250 learner's bike and a 1 litre crotch rocket will be the day that I finally give them some respect as being able to produce something truly outside of their comfort zone.

For those of you that ride and love HD's, thats completely fine with me. Just don't try and BS us into believing they are pushing into 'new territory' with these rehashes.

The new model Thunderbird 2, designed to operate incognito in the Antarctic.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/16/2007 12:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why on earth would Harley build a superbike, or dirt bike, or supermoto? No-one would buy them. Harley build the bikes that they are associated with and that people want to buy from them.
Face it Ianisme, you never would buy a 'superbike' from Harley if they built one. Be honest about that. I wouldn't. But I would go to them to buy a cruiser. Having been around for over 100 years, they obviously are doing something right.
Reverse the situation, how about demanding that Ducati builds a big, chrome lined cruiser? Makes about as much sense.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jboland
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 90

Posted 8/16/2007 8:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...

The first time that HD get off their complacent backsides and give us a 400cc supermoto, a 600 supersport, a 250 learner's bike and a 1 litre crotch rocket will be the day that I finally give them some respect as being able to produce something truly outside of their comfort zone.

Those duties are ably handled by Buell, which is owned by...ta da...the Harley Davidson Motor Company.  Buell happens to have a supermoto, a learner bike, and several very fine crotch rockets.

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 8/16/2007 8:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
Why on earth would Harley build a superbike, or dirt bike, or supermoto? No-one would buy them. Harley build the bikes that they are associated with and that people want to buy from them. Face it Ianisme, you never would buy a 'superbike' from Harley if they built one. Be honest about that. I wouldn't. But I would go to them to buy a cruiser. Having been around for over 100 years, they obviously are doing something right. Reverse the situation, how about demanding that Ducati builds a big, chrome lined cruiser? Makes about as much sense.

Well put Desmo and quite valid......

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/17/2007 8:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Face it Ianisme, you never would buy a 'superbike' from Harley if they built one."

Wrong, wrong, wrong! I don't buy into the whole dogged brand loyalty thing. If Harley built a superbike that appealed to me then I would buy it. I'm not anti Harley at all; I'm anti-cruiser. If I were a cruiser guy then I would have to seriously consider them. My comment is purely about the test claiming that Harley were breaking into new territory.

On Buell: yes they do make some nice bikes and, now that they have something coming along with a decent engine, I would also have to consider them too. They may be owned by HD but the effort comes from Erik Buell, not Harley. Lets face it, go into a HD dealership and Buell are very much the second class citizens.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/17/2007 11:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...
 I don't buy into the whole dogged brand loyalty thing. If Harley built a superbike that appealed to me then I would buy it.
But they don't and never will.  But what do you care? You just stated you're not brand loyal so just go and buy your superbike from one of the other mfgs.
Who is building superbikes right now? Oh, only:
Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, Benelli, Triumph, Bimota, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Buell.... But yer gonna hold yer breath until Harley makes one before you go shopping? Yah, right...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/17/2007 5:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't say that either. You just don't get it, do you? When the time comes to replace my bike I will buy whatever I like and can afford. In the unlikely event Harley enter the market with a bike that appeals to me then that will receive equal consideration. What is so difficult to understand or accept about that idea?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/17/2007 8:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, as the official board curmudgeon (shared with Lou) I get it totally. Yer bee-yotchin at a company that has been entirely successful doing what it's doin claiming they suck cuz they don't make something totally different just for you. Even though that bike (which you wouldn't buy anyway no matter who makes it) is made by countless other mfgs.
It's ok, I'm still waiting for Suzuki to make a flat 6 Goldwing copy, I'm still waiting for Yamaha to make an in-line triple, I'm still waiting for Aprilia to make a trike, and I'm still waiting for Honda to make a 1000cc non v-tec gear driven cam VFR...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 8/17/2007 9:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmo, that's a butt load of waiting buddy lol lol lol

morganw
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 29

Posted 8/17/2007 10:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious.

One of you waits is over 30 years ago.

Yamaha made an inline triple in 1976!!!!!

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 8/18/2007 12:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
morganw said...
Desmolicious.

Mine was the 1980 XS750 Special. It was a very nice bike until I siezed it!cry  I didn't realise it was using so much oil and failed to check it... Comfy to ride with great torque!

They say you're only young once! I'm trying to make it last...

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 8/18/2007 4:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
EdbearNZ said...
morganw said...

Desmolicious.

Mine was the 1980 XS750 Special. It was a very nice bike until I siezed it! cry I didn't realise it was using so much oil and failed to check it... Comfy to ride with great torque!

And I will just bet you haven't forgotten to check the oil in a bike since........ lol

toddo
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 8/18/2007 5:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can you tell me why I cant see the photos in the photo gallery? I can click on the other pics & see them just fine. When I click on the gallery it says I cannot see them & to check my spelling bla bla bla. Please help. Todd

I like the rocker ( the one with satin stainless ) I hate the pass seat. That thing should set lower towards the fender. I love the sportys though. I wish I could afford a cvo road king.

Post Edited (toddo) : 8/18/2007 12:40:05 PM GMT