Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2008 Yamaha R6 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 12/3/2007 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We sample Yamaha's latest 600 supersport track weapon, the 2008 YZF-R6, at the Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway. Check out MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Yamaha R6 - First Ride and let us know what you think. Are you all ready for the '08 Supersport Shootout yet?

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/3/2007 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Amazing how they update these things each and every year; magnesium now!

These bikes are obviously track bike heaven as you describe.

What is the aftermarket gonna do now that the majors give you fab suspension, fab injection, fab bar stability, fab tires and a fab exhaust right outta the box!!

Obviously a ton of bike, for not very much money, and it even pulls...from as low...as 10,000RPM, (I just hadda throw in SOME kinda whining).

Not a bike I would by at 52, (hey, I LIKE engine braking), but man, whatta machine.

Maybe I missed it, but how was the riding position/comfort; street/track or 100% track...kinda sounded very track, no??

Dannyd18
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 102

Posted 12/3/2007 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Performance stuff looks great! The only thing I don't like are the colors. yellow with flames= ugh and the silver color is weird. and they come with stock gold rims.

My 07 is fairly comfortable, but i haven't ridden it for more than 2 hours straight.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 12/3/2007 6:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Poor riding form from the tester. His head should be in line with the inside mirror while going around a corner (at the very least), not in line with the center of the bike.
Baah humbug!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/4/2007 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The bike promises to be on top or sharing the top position in the class. There is nothing wrong with the position of the rider in the corner, at least I'm giving the benefit of my opinion to the fact I don't know what the rider is going to be doing next, and the move it takes to do that.
As far as anyone whinning about it being too race focused, it isn't for everyone, if ya can't ride it, or use it, well, buy something else. If ya can't make a few ergonomic changes (if that would help) buy something else that is more correct for what you can't do.
But if you want excitement in that snooze life.....

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/4/2007 12:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The rider has his knee down so he is focussed on that corner. His body English is incorrect, he is twisted at the waist keeping his upper body on top of the bike, instead of to the inside corner of the bike. You can see this in every cornering picture.
I know what he'll be doing next, wondering who just blew by him on the outside....
;)

Børk! Børk! Børk!

2tymr
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/4/2007 7:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i guess the up and under the seat exhaust trend is now passe'

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/5/2007 11:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
The rider has his knee down so he is focussed on that corner. His body English is incorrect, he is twisted at the waist keeping his upper body on top of the bike, instead of to the inside corner of the bike. You can see this in every cornering picture.
I know what he'll be doing next, wondering who just blew by him on the outside....
;)

He isn't racing on a race prepaired bike, he is feeling out a new bike, and safe to assume on OEM tires, he is in position to press the bike down, and lift it if it sends danger signals.

Just a matter of opinion, but, I'm supporting the journo on this one :-)

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/5/2007 11:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That would be riding motocross style (staying to the middle of the machine pushing it down under you), which isn't anywhere near the fastest way around a race track.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/5/2007 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He ain't racing :-)

AdamW79
MCUSA - Associate Editor

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 26

Posted 12/5/2007 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hey thanks for the luv louemc--

desmolicious, true i've got to work on my streetbike riding style...old habits die kinda hard but i'm working on it... riding style does have measure on how fast you motor around a race track, but look at a dude like martin cardenas and aaron gobert-- they tend to stay on top of the bike as opposed to hanging off. dude doug poland rides ol' school style too and he still bones out on track.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/5/2007 3:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Adam, I didn't know that it was you on the Yami, must of been cosmic to stand up for you, everyone knows I usually go in with hatchets.

Did whoever hands the bikes over, do any suspension set-up for you (or were you able to do it?) to get the bike working like it should be working as what it is?

I'm looking forward to a good 600 class shootout this year with Yamaha and Honda getting at it against Triumph, to see how that is showing now.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/5/2007 5:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AdamW79 said...
riding style does have measure on how fast you motor around a race track,
true...there's no one way or universal way in term of 'riding style'...a rider just has to find the best style for him. 

AdamW79
MCUSA - Associate Editor

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/5/2007 7:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yeah the yamaha peeps did two day's of testing before we had a chance to ride bikes in order to get a baseline setup for the track. i never specifically asked how they setup the bikes. at our pace, all we had to mess with was the fork rebound, as it was a bit bouncy and wouldn't settle mid-corner. they put in just 2 clicks slowing it down a bit and the front end was much more settled...

Jay Mack
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 497

Posted 12/6/2007 7:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
But, Desmo, is it high-tech enough for you? We wouldn't want any wooden brakes or balsa wood frame issues, now, would we?

THat Cadmium yellow w/flames looks good enough to be uncomfortable on.

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download
 the highest resolution version available.

In the beginning, God created the heavens ...
Here's a photograph of that creation.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/6/2007 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jay Mack said...
But, Desmo, is it high-tech enough for you? We wouldn't want any wooden brakes or balsa wood frame issues, now, would we?
Does it run on gas? Check.
Yup, it's high tech enough!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

paulmoran
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 4/8/2008 1:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
do we have a time frame on the shootout ??

seriously looking forward to this one!!!! jumpin hop jumpin hop

AdamW79
MCUSA - Associate Editor

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 4/21/2008 5:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We just put the wraps on the 600 test and are working on it now... should be complete in the next few weeks... oh, man is it going to be good~!

paulmoran
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007

Posted 4/21/2008 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AdamW79 said...
We just put the wraps on the 600 test and are working on it now... should be complete in the next few weeks... oh, man is it going to be good~!

Weeks!!!!!! just j/k .... looking forward to it guys!!!!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/22/2008 10:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is the Triumph 675 going to be included in the shoot out?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

paulmoran
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007

Posted 5/19/2008 1:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
it this review coming soon y'all ..... ?

Looking forward to it .............. cool