Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2008 Ducati 848 - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
34 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 12/17/2007 4:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The all-new Ducati 848 scores big in the looks department, but we test its real-world performance at Spain's Almeria circuit. Check out MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Ducati 848 - First Ride and let us know what you think.

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/17/2007 6:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice write up and i agree...'looks' good.  however, the whole package is not enough to justify 13k for me. 

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 12/17/2007 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice write up and nice pics. Another cost saving bit is the front fender. Unpainted black ABS plastic. But seeing that lots of peeps just chuck this anyway for a fancy carbob fiber one, doesn't really matter.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 12/17/2007 8:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The water-cooled ducatis with a full fairing don't excite me. For the same money you could buy a Ducati hypermotard, which would be cooler, or a cbr1000, which would be faster.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

slotrigger
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/17/2007 10:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

nice job ken - i spend way too many hours reading reviews of motorcycles i neither want nor can afford.  your words painted a picture of that spanish circuit, and gave us a real sense of how the duc felt on it's way around.

i still can't afford it, but now i think i want it! it's ok ... the feeling will pass.

tc

slo, ca

luckyguy19
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 13

Posted 12/18/2007 9:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am disappointed with the proof reading. The bike makes 70 ft/lbs, not 96. It makes 96 Newton meters. This wouldn't be so bad if the author didn't go out of his way to point out that it makes 25 ft/lbs more than the 998. The first thing that should have come to mind was that it doesn't make sense for an 848cc bike to make more torque than a 999cc bike. A quick trip to Ducatiusa.com would have confirmed this. I don't mean to nitpick, but I am used to really great articles from you guys, and this is such an elementary error.

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Date Joined Jul 2005

Posted 12/18/2007 10:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good eye lucky. Sorry to let you down, we should have caught that one. To make sure it doesn't happen again, we're screaming torque conversion formulas into Ken's ear while water boarding him and shoving bamboo shoots underneath his fingernails...

ONE NEWTON METER EQUALS 0.7376 LB-FT OF TORQUE! SAY IT!

luckyguy19
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 13

Posted 12/18/2007 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is my favorite motorcycle site bar non. I'm not even renewing my Motorcyclist or Cycle World for next year. I get them now and all I see are articles about bikes I've already read about, keep up the good work. Just gotta raz ya once in while.

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 12/18/2007 12:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is the Duc that makes the most sense to me from a street riding point-of-view. I rode a 749S and it was a terrifc ride, had plenty of power and lower RPM performance. It was one of the most fun ridesI've have on the street. The real beauty of it was you could use all of it's power, didn't have to whimp out on the throttle like a literbike. There is something to be said for being able to wring it's neck out once in a while. If the 848 puts out that much more power, is lighter, and handles better, it really sound s like a winner to me. It also seems almost reasonably priced given it's equipment and performance.

TheWall67
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 141

Posted 12/18/2007 2:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bmadson said...
Good eye lucky. Sorry to let you down, we should have caught that one. To make sure it doesn't happen again, we're screaming torque conversion formulas into Ken's ear while water boarding him and shoving bamboo shoots underneath his fingernails...

ONE NEWTON METER EQUALS 0.7376 LB-FT OF TORQUE! SAY IT!
I think the waterboarding falls under the CIA's "Enhanced Interrogation Technique" definition but that bamboo shoot thing may be trouble.  So long as you did this to Ken in a CIA black site though you're probably in the clear.

Hey, watch this...

TheWall67
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 141

Posted 12/18/2007 2:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very good write up and nice photo's too. The track description and bike reaction to it was a nice touch. Also like the 853 mention. I'm really hoping the power band of the 848 is bigger than 3g's- that's what my '03 R6 is for chrizts sake. Or that at least its not a weakling below 7g. Maybe when put on the track with the new crop of 600's (if the UJM's don't cry foul!) it will be easier to tell. The vtwin speed is deceptive because it's so linear so maybe it was a little of that going on. Ken, quit punking out to Xaus and letting him pass you like that! I bet he'd cry like a baby if you stuck bamboo under his fingernails.

Hey, watch this...

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 12/19/2007 7:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow. You guys really didn't get scooped this time. First 848 review I have read. Congrats.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 12/19/2007 10:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Aggcckk... Bart's a merciless bastard with STD, I mean WMD...lets attack his world and have no clear cut plan for what to do after we make him pay! Oh wait...that never worked in the past. Seriously though - I am an idiot but in my defense I wrote the damn thing on my death bed with the flu so...forgive me for being brain dead.

On to the Q&A...

The Wall: The 848 has more low/mid-range torque than a 748-749, certainly more than a latest gen R6 (Though Adam says the new R6 closes the gap on the 600RR so who knows about that one). The 3K window of power is close though. Once it gets up top it has comes on pretty good, but again, nothing like an R6 on top. I tried to keep Rube in sight for about two turns. It is sickening really, to see how fast these backs can go. I mean in racer terms I am a turd but versus normal humans I am pretty good but dudes like him are ridiculously fast.

Slot & Lucky: Join me. Join me and together we will rule the galaxy as father and son... Of course my wounds will have to heal first.

Steve: Oh sure, jump on the Hypermotard bandwagon now. Where were you when I was being fileted by the verbal knives of these heartless webbastards last month Steve! You know what, you should go by Hyper as punishment for your evil words. Seriously though... The Hyper is way cool but for some folks the 13K for the 848 is actually a value all things considered.

Fire it up Holmes!

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 12/19/2007 1:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a class where this well be raced?

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/19/2007 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny, will you be sending us out our WebBastard T-shirts as Christmas gifts or will we be forced to buy them??

Question: though you tested it only on track, which is the better street bike for mere mortals, the 848 or the 1098??

I kinda like the white, does it look better or worse 'in person'?

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 12/19/2007 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Kenny,

I can't get the pictures to come up. All I get is a big grey stripe. Can ya fix it please? Need some groovy wallpaper. Thanx. Cheers, Jack

GAJ,

The white looks much better in person. Very rich pearlescent white. It's as hard for me to fathom a white Ducati as it is to picture a Ferrari in British Racing Green.

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Date Joined Jul 2005

Posted 12/19/2007 3:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Should be better now Flickmeister.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 12/19/2007 5:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Flick, I always like that white VFR they had like ten years ago...but yeah, red IS the Duc color...but, then again, Yellow used to be the Yamaha color, and now I believe 'tis blue!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/19/2007 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I dunno GAJ, I saw the white 848 at the bike show. It appealed mainly to the birds and will undoubtedly be the 'chick bike' colour.
I feel that in a few years time (maybe less) most peeps who've bought this colour will wish that they had not...

p.s. I had one of those pearlescent white VFRs - a 750 in 1993. It was very pretty but the colour matched the performance. At 75rwhp on a relatively heavy bike it felt neutered.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 12/20/2007 12:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

GAJ: WebSOB Ts...Send 49.95 each to Kenny The R&D buffoon at MCUSA HQ with a self-addressed, stamped envelope and I will send you a nice T.

As far as which bike has more potential to be a better streetbike goes, the 848 vs 1098 were created with two distinct riders in mind. The 1098 is the best Ducati can offer. Its as fast as a literbike (for the most part), looks trick, and is expensive. As a result it is a sick bike across the board. The 848 offers a little less, for a little less. The riders who errs on the side of caution, is new to the world of Ducati, or simply enjoys a less-hairy ride is going to dig the 848. For me personally, I'd take the 1098 because its got the big motor.

As far as color goes. Ducati says the dealers are ordering the white like crazy in anticipation that folks will like that color. Remember the fuzz feels red bikes are faster than white ones...plus, by offering only 2 color selections it seems that it would limit the odds of a dealer getting stuck with a flat black or yellow version when they all sell out. When I talked to a few, that was something folks brought up a few times. As far as it being the bird bike...I dunno. It looks pretty trick to me in person. In photos its not so cool but its still a Duc though so I'd go Red.

Pat: As far as racing goes: It is AMA Formula Xtreme legal as far as I know. Ducati shot down any notion that it is part of some master plan to weasle it into Supersport racing too. But seriously, this company is built on it so even though officially there is no S or R version in the works I bet ya in a year or two...there will be. And if Ducati's pull in the WSB rules arena is any clue...you just cant discount the notion.

Fire it up Holmes!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/20/2007 11:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...

As far as it being the bird bike...I dunno. It looks pretty trick to me in person.

Maybe we are separated by a common language?  Bird bike = chick bike = a bike that women would like because of the colour.  I am already seeing this, da ladies are going nuts for this bike in white.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 12/20/2007 2:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Desmo, I've driven a "chick" car since '94, (R model Miata), so maybe I have issues?????????

I also have a non-ABS F800ST, (pick it up this afternoon after dumping the "widow maker" ABS version). I think that BMW some people view as a "chick" bike.

I do, however, also own a "nasty" TL1000S in green, which has generally been cosidered a 'non' chick bike and my black DRZ400SM is too ugly (but way fun) to be a chick bike.

I must be bipolar 'cause I SURE ain't bisexual!

I'd be happy to own a white 848 and take the heat.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/20/2007 2:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ummmm, The TL1000S was a "chick bike". Real menly men rode TL1000R bikes lol  lol  lol

Focus the forces, Be The Force

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 12/20/2007 3:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The TLS needed tons, and I mean tons, of customer mods to make it safe to ride; the TLR was relatively OK (other than the POS rotary damper) outta the box.

I refute your reality and substitute my own!!!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/20/2007 4:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No way, the early Tl1000s were the manly bikes! The Tl1000r were the chick bikes!
(of course I had an 1997 Tl1000s)...
Why? cuz the early S models had no steering dampers and crappy jerky fueling. You had to be a real man to ride one of those bucking tank slapping beasties!
The Tl1000R? Oooh, got the standard perimeter frame (what, scared of the snapping S frame? Mine did!). Got fat. Got stable. Pshhhaw!
;)

Børk! Børk! Børk!