Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2008 Yamaha WR250R/X - First Rides  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 3/13/2008 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Small-bore dual-sports are super popular with riders of all ages and skill levels, but there aren't many out there that are actually capable of being ridden hard. Yamaha wanted to change that with its new WR250R and WR250X. Read the report.

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 3/13/2008 4:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice little bikes; not sure the SM will steel many DRZ400SM sales though.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 3/13/2008 4:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Definitely nice bikes. Any problem is $$ as the WR250R costs a few hunnert more than the Suzi Dr400.
It is understandable why the Yams cost so much , as they have a clean sheet engine design and are the only ones to use FI in their class.
What we now need is a test of the new XT250, comparing that to the decrepit new Honda CRF230L, the cool new (in Cali) Kawi KLx250. They are all in the same $$ bracket. Then throw in the WR250 as a ringer, to show what the extra moola gets you.
Thanks doods!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 3/13/2008 4:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am the guy who always advocates smaller, more practical bikes. But even I have doubts about taking a 250 on the highway.

I wonder why I am reading about this bike instead of the new Duke 690. It weighs the same but makes 65hp.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

gagster
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 62

Posted 3/13/2008 4:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Very interesting article.  I've been looking for a do it all bike for quite a while.  Do it all does not include heavy duty touring, but I wanted a bike that could hit the highway for 250-300 miles comfortably in a day at speeds of 60-70 mph and also go about 90% of anywhere off road.  My old XR650L wasn't much off road because of the top heavy weight and it wasn't much of a street bike either because of the seat and vibration.  It could do a little of both, but ridng in anything very rough was too much like work and riding over about 1/2 hour on the highway was no fun either.  I get the impression that the 250R would be a much better bike in both situations.  My geared down XRL would only do about 95 mph too. A speed of 95 mph is amazing for a street legal 250 single 4 stroke. 

I just may buy one.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 3/14/2008 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those tests are coming, Desmo. We have the XT and 230L being delivered next week for a long-term side-by-side test and we're expecting an invite to the new KLX250 press launch any day! No big shootouts, yet, but we'll be able to make inferences along the way... As you know, I've already ridden the CRF, and both WR models spank it's little red butt in everything except price.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/14/2008 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hilde, thanks man, I can't wait!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 3/15/2008 6:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They should have made this bike a 350 not a 250. There is a stigma attached to 250cc bikes in the USA, because msf uses them as trainers. Many riders think "boring starter bike" when they hear "250". Also, one of the most famous Yamahas is the rd350 sportbike. Of course, a 350 would also be a bit more peppy on the highway.

Having said that, I can't totally dismiss this bike. There are already several amateur stunt videos on youtube featuring the WR250X. So perhaps the bike will succeed in spite of its displacement.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/15/2008 11:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Any 250 single that can hit 90mph is not all bad. My old KLR650 was really straining at 90mph.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

gagster
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 3/15/2008 7:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

J.C,

Is the R really capable of a 4-5 hour street ride at speeds of 60-70 mph without inflicting undue pain?  That's about all I'll be doing in the forseeable future.  After wrestling my XR650L down the trails, this bike should be a breeze. 

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 3/15/2008 10:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think it would be comfortable enough for that length of time so long as you can stand up now and then to break it up. If that's all you can see yourself doing though, you might want something with a bigger motor. The ergonomics are fine, but if you are planning on droning away on highways, I'd definitely want a bigger engine. The bike is capable of freeway speeds (and an indicated 90+ is pretty incredible) but that definitely isn't what it was primarily designed for. It is more of an in-town bike or curvy backroad machine.

stom_m3
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/16/2008 12:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just got the R two days ago. Great bike so far. To comment on the hwy stability, it would greatly benefit with a steering stabilizer. It can cruise at 75ish with ease but the d/s tires make for tiring work. No fault of the bike as opposed to the tires but they weren't necessarily meant for high stability at frwy speeds.

Hoover
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 3/16/2008 12:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My concern is what is the hours-to-rebuild estimate? If these new models are going to have the same short life span as the new 4 stroke MXers then I'll stick with the older more durable designs, thank you.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/17/2008 11:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The whole point of the new engine design it to allow durability as well as performance. It has 26,000 mile valve check/adjustment intervals.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 3/17/2008 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's 86 times as long as the YZ-F and WR-F models!!

gagster
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 3/19/2008 5:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've seen several BMW 650 liquid cooled singles with over 50,000 miles on them and still running strong.  So, I'll bet this bike would last a long time with regular oil changes and avoidance of redline rpm for long periods of time. I've also heard about several guys getting over 150,000 miles on Honda CBR600's when they were used for sport touring and commuting. These bikes we have now are so far ahead of the machines of even a few years ago, there's really no comparison.  I remember the time when we had to overhaul the old air cooled two stroke dual purpose bikes about once a year or 2,000 miles, whichever came first.  

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 4/6/2008 7:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I may have underestimated this bike. I am seeing more videos with stunters using it. There is talk that it dynos in the low thirties out of the box, and mid thirties is attainable. Keep in mind that a a Sportster 883 dynos at 40hp. This bike weighs about half as much as an 883 sportster. So perhaps it could be viable on the highway for short bursts- it would be too uncomfortable for long trips. It also has good brakes and (obviously) fantastic handling.

I have seen mpg claims from 63 to 70.

DivideOverflow
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 66

Posted 4/7/2008 6:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd love one of the SM versions, but $6k?!! Holy cow that is a lot IMO. I'll wait for a used one for half that.

D-RI96
WR250R

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/16/2008 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just bought a WR250R a couple of weeks ago...thought I would give it a good long try before I posted on this bike. This bike is great!!!!! I was looking for a bike to commute to work and have some fun with that got great gas milage. I looked at the DR400, DR650 and the KLX 650 and found out, through A LOT OF RESEARCH, that none of them have very good gas milage (Good to me is 60mpg +).....Anyway, I started looking at the KLX250s and the Yamaha WR250R. It was a hard choice....both got great MPG (right around 70mpg), both look good, the KLX is a grand Cheaper but the WR had fuel injection. I decided on the WR and I am very happy with my choice.
I have ridden it a lot and with others and I have no problem keeping up on the road/highway and it isnt uncomfortable at all. Once I go off road with it, I can leave my friends in the dust!!! It handles a lot better than a DR400/650 and a KLX650 on the dirt
and it can go places the big boys cant.
Overall, I would have to say that this is one of the best dual sports on the market. Try one if you dont believe me......you will be suprised with the power of this 250!!

Please Note: If you are used to 250 and 450 dirtbikes.....the WR is not a dirtbike and you wont find Chad Reed riding around the supercross track on one..it has a lot less low end torque due to the taller gears, but it has great mid-range power and a very respectable overall powerband.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 4/16/2008 1:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My DRZ400SM gets low 50's with a stage 2 kit and dyno'd at 35hp.

But you're right, it only gets low 50's in mpg; would probably do better if I didn't ride it WFO all the time!

70+ is outstanding for such a grin machine as yours.

Congrats on the new bike.