Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S - First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 4/28/2008 8:19 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A new and improved dual-sport motorcycle for off-road adventure? Kawasaki signed us up and we were along for the ride in Death Valley, California. Check out MotorcycleUSA.com's 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S - First Ride

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 4/28/2008 10:08 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice!
Time for a small dp comparo...
Kawi KLX250s vs Yam WR250R vs Yam Xt250 vs that wretched little Honda...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Blender
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 76

Posted 4/28/2008 10:57 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting report. Definitely a big resurgance of interest in the 250 ranks of late.

tigerowner_ut
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 7

Posted 4/30/2008 12:45 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is really hard to take these 250 tests seriously. It is obvious that all the 250 DS tests are press intros and all reports from these "tests" are very generic and are basically the same non-specific report. Add to this the video of the rider on the red KLX with feet flailing everywhere and no obvious dirt riding skills. I am looking for actual tests on these bikes written by those who can ride not another press intro. I see real tests here at motorcycle-usa but not in this class of bikes.

So lets see a real 250 DS shootout with the KLX, CRF, WRR, XT, and some of the others like the DR and TW for good measure.

Mojav
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 28

Posted 5/1/2008 5:05 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm with tigerowner_ut. Lotta words, little info. Like what's a comfy highway speed for this bike - is it another 55 mph turtle like the CRF230, or a real 70mph zoomie like the WR250R?

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 5/1/2008 6:12 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd have to double-check another message forum, but performance wise, it would seem the KLX250S is more than a few steps ahead of the XR230L as far as performance. Just from a quick glance, it looks like it has better suspension.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

themountain
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 20

Posted 5/1/2008 11:56 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sweeet!! I was thinking about a new little comuter and ..tsching...Kawa got the right thing for me I guesstongue ...I hope the model will appear here in Europe too and  soon and it won´t cost an arm and a leg ...like Kawa here usually doesrolleyes

Mojav
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 5/1/2008 4:47 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As I put more and more money into my (330 pound) DR650 I keep thinking that one day it's all going to be made moot by some really nice little 240 pound 250cc DS that can cruise easily at 70 mph, have a bullet proof 50,000 mile engine (like the DR650), and doesn't come from some euro orgional company now owned by BMW (like Husqvarna) ((( and cost $8.5K OTD))), or some Japanese company that misses the mark by 40 pounds (like the Yamaha WR250R). Is the KLX250S it??? I have a feeling not.

TTT
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 107

Posted 5/5/2008 10:51 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mojav said...
As I put more and more money into my (330 pound) DR650 I keep thinking that one day it's all going to be made moot by some really nice little 240 pound 250cc DS that can cruise easily at 70 mph, have a bullet proof 50,000 mile engine (like the DR650), and doesn't come from some euro orgional company now owned by BMW (like Husqvarna) ((( and cost $8.5K OTD))), or some Japanese company that misses the mark by 40 pounds (like the Yamaha WR250R). Is the KLX250S it??? I have a feeling not.

You can have fast, light or cheap...  pick any two.  lol

Right now the WR250R is the cream of the crop but this Kawasaki has a nice price advantage and would be much easier to fit with a larger gas tank

Mojav
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 5/6/2008 8:08 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Right now the WR250R is the cream of the crop but this Kawasaki has a nice price advantage and would be much easier to fit with a larger gas tank

Well, maybe for cheap and fast the WR250R. For light, way better suspension, and faster yet it's the Husky 250. It's too bad Yamaha couldn't pull 30 pounds off and be more like KTM and Husqvarna.