Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2008 Suzuki B-King - Bike Test  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
54 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 6/23/2008 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We finally get our hands on the Suzuki B-King. See what we think in our 2008 Suzuki B-King - Bike Test

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 6/23/2008 12:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vmax look out!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 6/23/2008 1:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice write up b...i own one and agree with alot of your views on the king.  after logging on about 3,500 miles on the clock so far, the king is definitely not for everyone or your 'grandma's' kind of bike imo. 

Post Edited (jon) : 6/23/2008 8:42:05 PM GMT

Jay Mack
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 497

Posted 6/23/2008 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
More of a first impression than a bike test, but very welcome, thanks.

Motorcycle Bloggers International voted the Boost King the Most Disappointing New Motorcycle: http://www.mbiweb.org/2008/

I'd have to say that the looks are a little off-putting, to me.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/23/2008 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jon, would you buy it again?

Do those absolutely hideous exhausts roast your ass?

Dr. Sprocket
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 88

Posted 6/23/2008 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great pics!  This is the first time I have gone through every picture before reading the entire article.  Seriously!  Keep up the great work!   BTW, that much power without a decent windscreen is definitely overkill, IMHO.

It's not old... it's "classic."

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 6/23/2008 4:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love this thing. Sounds like a total hoot to ride. The only negative I see is that it is priced higher than the Happybus. I don't understand that except Suzuki must feel the stretfighter crowd is willing to pay more for less. I'd love to have one in my garage. Cheers, Jack

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/23/2008 6:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...

'buy it again?'....yes!!!!!

'roast your ass?'....nope and those plastic covers do a fantastic job absorbing the heat from exhausts ( i can touch the exhausts after a ride and it won't burn me), and i love 'those absolutely hideous exhausts!...it looks exactly like the way it looks on the concept of 01' in tokyo.

the only negatives for me so far is the fuel range (which i knew about before buying) and the waste of a feature, 'B' mode that i'll never use.   

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 6/23/2008 8:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Uh...Boss Hoss, anyone?

Really, what's the difference? Big, heavy, ugly, and overpowered--sounds like a winner to me!

Somec
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 18

Posted 6/23/2008 8:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did I hear the video reviewer correctly when he said .."It could use a little more power"?? freaked

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/23/2008 10:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Somec said...
Did I hear the video reviewer correctly when he said .."It could use a little more power"?? freaked
you wouldn't believe how many people told that i needed a 'turbo' on my old 99' busa...different folks, different strokes. 

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 6/24/2008 5:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
Uh...Boss Hoss, anyone?

Really, what's the difference? Big, heavy, ugly, and overpowered--sounds like a winner to me!
Oh c'mon....that's a bit over the top, isn't it?  Wet weight is only about 10 lbs more than a Hayabusa.  Far cry from a Boss Hoss.  Agree with you that the stying is not great - kinda similar to that 600 cc GSR thingy.  Just a little over done.  Still, it's nice to see more bikes in the naked-with-more-power-than-you-need class.  At least this one you can get in North America, unlike the beautiful Europe only naked FZ1 - I lusted after the black and yellow version of that, but here it was unobtanium.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Nodian
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 18

Posted 6/24/2008 7:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

“Uh...Boss Hoss, anyone”?

I guess for some people’s minds it is hard to understand the difference between an inline 4 and a V8 engine, an aluminum chassis and tubular steel chassis, and 578 lbs. and 1178 lbs, a bike that turns and stops and a bike that just doesn’t do either.

Comparing the B-King to a Boss-Slob is like comparing a Winnebago to a four door hatch back.

Edmond
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 6

Posted 6/24/2008 8:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't get it.
Too heavy and powerful to be a stunter.
Too open to be a sport bike
Too much of a gas waster to be a tourer.
Too Ugly to be a show off bike
Novelty bike anyone?.....just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 6/24/2008 9:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is a "twist the throttle and get your jollies" bike. Perfect for short rides in the real world where sporbike fairings are pointless because you can't go over 80 without losing your license anyway. It's all about the motor. Going from 0 to 60 in too little time to measure. Handling is likely just fine for, again, the real world where you shouldn't be putting your knee down anyway, and no one is handing out trophies for your time through the chicane. I think just riding this thing on the backroads and rolling on and off the throttle would be pretty darned entertaining. It would be better if they had moved that torque curve down the rpm band a bit, because as it stands I doubt peak torque is accessible even in second gear without going to jail. But of course if they had tuned it sensibly like that, the spec sheet jockeys would scream that Suzuki had neutered the engine.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/24/2008 9:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nodian said...

“Uh...Boss Hoss, anyone”?

I guess for some people’s minds it is hard to understand the difference between an inline 4 and a V8 engine, an aluminum chassis and tubular steel chassis, and 578 lbs. and 1178 lbs, a bike that turns and stops and a bike that just doesn’t do either.

Comparing the B-King to a Boss-Slob is like comparing a Winnebago to a four door hatch back.

yes, it's sad but some will never know or have the ability to tell 'the difference'....i can see various opinions i.e., ugly, hideous, futuristic, badass, transformer, darth vader, etc., because perceptions vary but to not be able to tell the difference between the king and the hoss is just plain sad.

Bonton
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 418

Posted 6/24/2008 11:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it is the best looking bike I have ever seen but there are a lot of of older riders out here that like sportbike power and wanta sit up straight and feel the monster torque.  All my bikes have quick clip windscreens and mostly I ride without them because I like the wind in my face.  My Shoei full face does a good job.  I am waiting to see the new V-Max and will buy one of the two.  Probably the King because I think the new Max is over priced.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/24/2008 12:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
GAJ said...

'buy it again?'....yes!!!!!

'roast your ass?'....nope and those plastic covers do a fantastic job absorbing the heat from exhausts ( i can touch the exhausts after a ride and it won't burn me), and i love 'those absolutely hideous exhausts!...it looks exactly like the way it looks on the concept of 01' in tokyo.

the only negatives for me so far is the fuel range (which i knew about before buying) and the waste of a feature, 'B' mode that i'll never use.   
Hey, it can't get worse than the 35 I get on my TL and I'm glad to hear someone has figured out how to keep an underseat exhaust from roasting your ass 'cause I understand the Italians and Brits have not!

And I certainly ride a bike many people would consider "weird" looking (Supermoto) but I don't care.

It's the grin the rider gets that counts regardless of the bike.

Enjoy.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/24/2008 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...

I certainly ride a bike many people would consider "weird" looking (Supermoto) but I don't care.

It's the grin the rider gets that counts regardless of the bike.
the sad thing is there are too many people with low self-esteem out there that want something but are too afraid of what others may think so they never explore it.  when it comes to what i want, i couldn't careless of what others may think either because it's my choice and money even if i'm the only person in the whole world that like it. 

i agree fully with the 'grin' point.  cool

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 6/24/2008 4:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Just because it's styling is different from the norm doesn't mean it's ugly. I think it looks really neat (gotta get rid of that license plate holder though). And no matter where you read about it, all the reviewers state what an incredible ride it is. In the March issue of MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS, Dave Searle summed it up in the B-King road test by saying," Motorcycles are supposed to be about enjoying life and having fun. If you get a chance to try the B-King and it doesn't peg your fun meter, chances are nothing will."

The first thing I'd do is get a new license plate holder. Next, I'd have to figure how to disable the top speed limiter. Holding this bike to 150 is downright criminal. Hell, I think it's one of the neatest, most competent bikes on the planet. Enjoy Jon, and color me jealous! Cheers, Jack

Black Shadow
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 103

Posted 6/24/2008 9:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Edmond said...
I don't get it.
What serious motorcyclist gives two shits about stunting?
what tourer gets better mileage that is capable of this kind of performance? RedDog's Gixxer Thou, notwithstanding (though less than 35 mpg).

Ugly is subjective--ever see one in person? When I saw the B-King at the dealer, I was in shock. There's no doubt this is the 'King'. I knew what it was before I knew what it was...

Just because it does many so things well, in fact, better than any narrow-focused bike, DOES mean you damn-well might!

And to the posters clamoring for better videos in bike reviews: I dunno...I heard a hella lot of engine in the video.

My only gripe is the name, and that's lame.

Anymore, when I'm looking at bikes, I'm looking at compromises and for what works on the street, twisties, and the super-slab yet has sick acceleration. The B-King is less of a compromise (weight being the ony one I can see--on paper,some lighter bikes FEEL heavier and vice-versa).

So, IMO, with the exception if the much pricier Tuono R yeah lol, there are no perfect bikes but this is very close.

'99 Bandit 1200S

Post Edited (Black Shadow) : 6/25/2008 5:15:34 AM GMT

Edmond
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 6

Posted 6/24/2008 11:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Black Shadow said...
Edmond said...
I don't get it.
What serious motorcyclist gives two shits about stunting?
what tourer gets better mileage that is capable of this kind of performance? RedDog's Gixxer Thou, notwithstanding (though less than 35 mpg).

Ugly is subjective--ever see one in person? When I saw the B-King at the dealer, I was in shock. There's no doubt this is the 'King'. I knew what it was before I knew what it was...

Just because it does many so things well, in fact, better than any narrow-focused bike, DOES mean you damn-well might!

And to the posters clamoring for better videos in bike reviews: I dunno...I heard a hella lot of engine in the video.

My only gripe is the name, and that's lame.

Anymore, when I'm looking at bikes, I'm looking at compromises and for what works on the street, twisties, and the super-slab yet has sick acceleration. The B-King is less of a compromise (weight being the ony one I can see--on paper,some lighter bikes FEEL heavier and vice-versa).

So, IMO, with the exception if the much pricier Tuono R yeah lol, there are no perfect bikes but this is very close.

You have the way you feel and I have the same....
 Whats the use of that much power on a 600lbs standard bike?
  There's one a my local dealer I've seen it up close and sat on it, and I still think it's ugly.
  but by all means if you're in the mood for a standard, and you don't don't care about wind protection, or nimblenes(which the write-up sugar coated) or gas milage, or looks.
 Be my guest.
 I like my standards light and flickable for in city riding.
imo Theirs not alot of point in having anything over 120hp in a standard.
you can't take a standard to the track, and you go straight to jail if you ride over 90mph on public roads.
So are you saying you like the fact it'll be able to get-up and go before you reach 70mph?
 Because if you just like that, then I could see you liking this bike.
 If not, whats the point?

But there's no right or wrong when it comes to personal preference....
 Having owned a Moto Guzzi V11 that weighed about 550 wet, you feel the weight, there's no cheating that....
  and while I respect you're outlook on this bike, it looks like a nightmare to me.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/24/2008 11:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
flickmeister said...

The first thing I'd do is get a new license plate holder.

flick,

thanks for reminding me, the tail light is the third negative of the king that i forgot to mention.  too bad the tail light wasn't like the 01' concept's:

however, eventually i'll probably install something like this tail light/fender eliminator on king:

hugger

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 6/24/2008 11:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
An air force pilot told me once, "The F4 Phantom is America's proof to the world that, if you put a big enough engine in it, even a brick will fly." Suzuki seems to be following a similar philosophy with the B-King, and I believe my comparison to the Boss Hoss is valid--the B-King is just a Japanese production model of the concept. These are bikes of excess, built to appeal to American consumeristic tastes--and as even this thread shows, they do that very well.

I agree with Edmond, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

jon said...
yes, it's sad but some will never know or have the ability to tell 'the difference'.

BTW, just because I don't like the bike, doesn't mean I don't have "the ability" to tell 'the difference.' I simply don't care for 'the difference.'

Black Shadow said...
Ugly is subjective--ever see one in person? When I saw the B-King at the dealer, I was in shock. There's no doubt this is the 'King'. I knew what it was before I knew what it was..

Yes, I've seen one in person--and I was in shock, myself. My Gawd, that thing was ugly--and it musta been 3 feet wide! Put the ol' CBX to shame. "Lithe" and "Agile" it ain't!

Maybe "it does many so things well," like wash the dishes and take out the trash--but I expect a motorcycle to be light and nimble and look good doing it. I can't see the B-King doing any of those...

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/24/2008 11:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Edmond said...

1.  Whats the use of that much power on a 600lbs standard bike?
 2.  nimblenes(which the write-up sugar coated).
 3.  you go straight to jail if you ride over 90mph on public roads.
 4.  So are you saying you like the fact it'll be able to get-up and go before you reach 70mph?
      Because if you just like that, then I could see you liking this bike.
      If not, whats the point?

1. that is the only engine available so the customer really have no say in it.  given your logic, what's the use of that much on any street bike? and where does it say it's '600lbs'?
2. obviously you haven't ridden one.  granted it's not as nimble as say a supersport liter but the king is plenty nimble for any public streets, roads and highways.  the nimbleness gap between the king and say a gixxer 1000 is about the same as the gap between a gixxer 1000 and the gixxer 600 based on my experiences from riding those bikes. 
3. that would apply to almost all of the available street bikes.
4. that would also apply to almost all of the street bikes...maybe your bike can't reach 90mph or even 70mph and you like that fact but i haven't encounter any street bike that can't do those speeds with ease.