Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 9/14/2008 10:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We dig our third wheel into the asphalt when Can-Am let's us sample the 2009 version of the Spyder Roadster - including the all-new auto-shifting SE5 Spyder. Check out Motorcycle USA's 2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 First Ride

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 9/15/2008 1:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks for sharing.  like the trike, i don't considered the spyder a motorcycle but i'm sure folks that don't like to or can't balance a two wheel bike would still enjoy it. 

shinymelon
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/15/2008 1:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I test rode one at a show in Phoenix last fall. While not the SE5, I'm assuming that many of the ergos remain the same.

Seating position; very good
Accell: really good.
Could I live with one? hmmm, if they linked the braking system through a front lever instead of relying on the pedal( I think the body english required to stay on at full snort diminishes the feel and finesse required for a foot brake. )

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

x2468
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 1183

Posted 9/15/2008 10:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lamest thing i've ever seen. three wheels and an automatic transmission.... just get a convertible vw beetle.... and a sex change.

and i like can-am. brp. bombardier. whatever they're called now. they make kick ass atvs and sleds. which is pretty much what this thing is. a sled with wheels

Kawasaki Kx250
Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4

Wixxy
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 1080

Posted 9/16/2008 5:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Saw a ton of them at Daytona....seem to be popular up in Canada. No matter how I looked at it, I just couldn't get comfortable with how it looked.

I know they're selling a bunch of them, but just not my cup o'tea

'08 Ducati 848
'99 Ducati 750 SS (half converted to full)
'95 BMW 318is
'95 Dalmatian
'96 Tabby
'06 Ford/Pierce Contender Rescue Truck

Instructor for Accident Scene Management, Inc., an organization dedicated to teaching emergency first aid and other safety measures to motorcyclists. Ask me about it!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/16/2008 1:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've seen a few, so far. One was ridden by an obviously very wealthy lady, that was about 60 years old.

So I guess it's safe to say, in her case, she wasn't about to learn how to ride a motorcycle, and this got her out into an adventure with (conservative) motorcycle riders.

I just couldn't possibly ride in the confines of how they have to be used.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 9/16/2008 4:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wixxy said...
Saw a ton of them at Daytona....seem to be popular up in Canada.

Dunno how popular they are up here...I've seen exactly one on the road, during my recent stint in the big city, I've never seen one out here (although a friend of mine has--they must have been visiting!).

As others have said, if ya can't balance a bike, just get a good sportscar. A trike is just too limited.

Historian
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/21/2008 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wish the Can Am folks would just build a new motorcycle, instead of these strange things. They built very good enduro bikes in the 70's, so they have the expertise.

06ConnieOwner
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 9/22/2008 5:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I rode this thing during the tour when they stopped in the Pittsburgh area. I do not understand how the reviewers do not complain about the vibration. I own a Concours and every review I ever read about it there was a complaint of vibration. Mine is smooth as silk compared to the Spyder. My hand fell asleep after just a few minutes on it. I absolutely hated riding this thing. I could not wait to get off and will never ride one again. It definitely in NOT a motorcycle. It may have a motorcycle engine, but it is still a snowmobile converted for street use.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/22/2008 6:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately you are still confronted with the normal suffering of a m/c rider such as rain, snow, to riding with the correct gear, to muck comming from cages passing you. Also you will not have the safety of a small car whick a normal m/c rider recognizes all the darn time.  If you have a break-down you will be held up for some time, unless you are right in town of a Spyder firm, to costly while with a cage it will not be as long & not as costly.

It will still only be a FUN THING once winter comes about & then you must drive a cage.  I do not think I have that much money for a FUN THING & would prefer to put the money into a smaller cage with windshield wipers, washers, heater or cooler to some place I can put my h/guns, ammo & such that will be legal as the cage can be LOCKED UP.

Definately the FUN THING for rich folks & not some of us ex-blue collar workers.  Mind you when Morgan produced the Mod trike with a J.A. Prestwich V-Twin in the front be it partially liquid cooled or not, it to was built for the rich folks that wanted a fun thing & quite costly as well, but outdid a true racing car.

Have patience & after a season or two, many of the richer folk will not look upon the Spyder as being that much fun to ride around especially with some of the changes in the last few yrs of production to the long waiting periords to have them serviced for most will not be wrenchers.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/23/2008 1:58:34 AM GMT

cloud9
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 30

Posted 9/23/2008 8:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would certainly be an eye-catcher at a bike night. Truly a fun looking toy for folks with bulging pockets. This reminds me of the occasional T-rex I would see in my town. I think I'd take a rex over the can-am though.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
three_wheeling_T-rex.jpg
  18KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 22930 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
campagna-t-rex-2006-708456.jpg
  53KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 29921 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
the_three_wheeled_motorbike.jpg
  187KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 5204 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Canadian Design Todd Falkowsky.jpg
  131KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1085 time(s).

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/23/2008 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agree with you cloud, but ONLY if you had the extra money & do remember with the T-Rex there are very, very few shops you can haul the bike to when it breaks down.  I have heard that a rich chap in the States, is buying a new T-Rex each time after he wears out the rear tyres------------way beyond my league or dream.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Rob Beesley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2008

Posted 9/26/2008 2:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After 10 years and 87,000 miles, I decided to replace my 98 Concours with a Spyder. I now have about 5,000 miles on the Spyder. As with most things, it is definately a matter of give and take.

So why did I switch? Last year I changed jobs and started riding year round. Last winter I rode in as cold as 12 degrees. I got caught in the snow a couple of times coming home and nearly dropped the Concours. When I saw the ads for the Spyder, I thought that if I am not smart enough to know when to leave the bike in the garage and take the bus, I should at least have something that won't tip over as easy. There are things about the Spyder that I love, while other things I really miss from my Concours.

Missed: The weather protection of the Concours is by far better. The taller optional windshield of the Spyder is still nothing compared to the Concours. Turning on three wheels will never feel like two wheels. The faster you go on the Spyder, the more effert is required to change lanes; not that it becomes difficult, just more effort. Changing lanes on two wheels is almost as easy as thinking and it happens. You can't put a trailer hitch on the Spyder because it would throw off the computerized stability features. Come winter time, I'm going to miss the engine heat that the Concours fairing holds in.

Enjoyed: Power - The 98 Concours and Spyder both share similar sized engines; just under 1000 cc. The horse power difference is very minimal. I didn't realize the difference in acceleration until I had been off the Concours for a few weeks, then rode it again. (I sold it to my oldest son, so it's not too far away.) It felt very sluggish in comparison. Gear indicator display - I had this on an old Suzuki I owned before the Concours. I always wished the Concours had it. Reverse - I love it. More passenger room. My wife is too large to fit comfortably on the back of the Concours. She pushes me up against the gas tank. She fits fine on the back of the Spyder. In the summer, I don't miss the engine heat that the Concours fairing holds in.

In July I took two 1500 mile trips - one on the Concours with a daughter, and one on the Spyder with a son. At freeway speeds, the Concours is a lot more comfortable - mainly because of wind management. By the end of the first day on the Spyder I couldn't hear because of wind noise. I had to start wearing ear plugs. Yet, at the end of the day, I found it interesting that even with all the wind turbulance, I was less exhausted on the Spyder. It took less time to recover and feel ready to do other activities. Both bikes are capable on the open road. The Concours is just more pleasant to ride at high speed. Around town, I prefer the Spyder. It's nice to come to a stop sign or traffic light and not have to put down a foot, or worry about sand or oil. Yet you still have most of the open feeling that you ride a motorcycle for.

Would I do it again? I can't answer that yet. The fact that my wife can ride with me now may outway all of the negatives. But, if the Spyder doesn't handle well enough to take in the snow, I may decide to replace it with a Yamaha FJR 1300 next spring. (I like them better than the new Concours.) I have had the occasion to take a friend's Goldwing for a test ride. I hated it. It felt so big and awkward compared to my Concours. He loved the nimbleness of the Concours, but thought it felt too small. A couple weeks ago, I got the opportunity to try another friend's Harley VROD. I hated the foot position. It felt like the position of my highway pegs on my Concours. I am so used to having a pretty tight tucked position, whenever I cornered, I wanted to leave the highway pegs and tuck - but there were no tuck pegs. My friend thought the Spyder was very easy to handle, and felt anybody could quickly learn to ride it. Yet, my friend loves his VROD. I decided that some things are simply a matter of preference and what we become accustomed to. It took me about 3,000 miles before I really started getting comfortable with the Spyder. Final conclusion; The Spyder is a fantastic trike - but a trike is just not the same as a bike. If you don't like the idea of a trike, don't bother with it. If you are considering a trike, check it out. It's wonderful - as a trike.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 9/26/2008 2:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is a great and honest review. Thanks Rob!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

K
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008

Posted 9/26/2008 4:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks are great, but if you wanted to get one in the Pacific, it becomes difficult because no one answers their sale lines.
Turn off: no answer for shipping to AP Guam.

Wanted one for the wife but Yes I can see the limitation in traffic.

woodyxb7
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/27/2008 6:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just bought a yellow SE5 Spyder for my wife about a week ago. She absolutely loves it and has put 600 miles on it. While I'm not ready to give up my motorcycle yet (01 Victory v92c dlx), I've ridden it a few times myself and it is a lot of fun. I think those who are dismissing it because it's not like a motorcycle are missing the point. BRP is not going after traditional motorcyclists. Instead there is a large potential market of people whe ride atvs and snowmobiles that may not have the skills or confidence to ride motorcycles. With the Spyder they would get to enjoy the same thrills they experience on atvs or snowmobiles but would be able to enjoy them on the open road. It does get noticed wherever we go. I do feel like I should be on BRP's payroll for all the questions my wife and I get asked.

NDRoth
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008

Posted 9/28/2008 12:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After reading your review, and actually taking a look at one up close and personal, I was pleased with the machine in many respects. I'll not dwell on that. There are plenty who will slobber over such a good looking machine.

I try to take a more pragmatic approach to "things" like this. First off, let me say that I've owned quite a few bikes. Many of which other would love to have also. Thus, I am somewhat experienced in these matters. I will turn my attention to the "drawbacks" of the machine.

In this day and age when the issue of resources have risen to the level of more than $4 a gallon (if you know what I mean) I rather surprised that the Spyder didn't do any better than 30-35 mpg. Quite surprised. Considering the hp to weight ratio I would have expected a considerable increase in that number. My  wife drives a 2003 Honda Civic in which she regularly achieves 40-41 mpg. That's nothing to sneeze at especially when one considers she's cool in the summertime and warm in the wintertime. Not to mention she can haul loads of stuff and never has to worry about getting wet when the weather turns inclement.To further add insult to injury, she paid right at $15,300 for the vehicle new.

Now I realize that the Spyder was in development prior to the more recent oil/price crisis. So, we can cut BRP some slack. We should, however, expect BRP to reflect a more realistic understanding of this present day reality with upcoming models. Let's be clear on one thing, an improvement in mpg does not necessarily mean an under powered machine. The technology exists, and is currently in use, to provide both a machine that is economical to operate as well as fun to drive. Consider again the power to weight factor again.

For those that have unlimited budgets, or those who are willing to "walk the financial tightrope", the current state of affairs with the Spyder might be copasetic. For the rest of us Joe's we'd like to see a little more moderation in the cost of the machine as well  as the operation of the same. I was especially taken with the $400 price tag on the few colored plastic items. Come on guys, give us a break. you've gotta' color the plastic either gray or black so how can you justify $400 for the color change. I suppose this is where the market will tell the tale. I for one would be hard pressed to pay that kind of money for a change in the color of plastic. BRP, this calls for a reality check.

Well, that's my opinion. It's worth just exactly what you've paid for it. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

You have a good day and as they say, "Keep the shiny side up".

Rob Beesley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2008

Posted 9/30/2008 10:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
NDRoth, let's compare apples to apples here. If you are looking for gas mileage and weather comfort, stick with your Honda Civic. In fact, why not go with a Toyota Prius. Both of these get better gas mileage than a Spyder.

Based on a recent article I read about gas mileage, the Spyder would come in somewhere between third and fifth - if it was a car. It is in the range of the little Smart Car or a Mini Cooper if I remember the article right. I get about 31-32 mpg around town. At low freeway speed (60-65) I am around 38-39 mpg.

Realistically, how does that match up with the competition? As mentioned in my prior write up, my previous bike was a 98 Kawasaki Concours. On that I was getting about 35 around town and about 44 at low freeway speed. On my two 1500 mile trips, I was running about 80 mph. On the Concours, I was getting about 37 mpg. On the Spyder I was getting about 31 mpg. So, the extra friction of a third wheel, and wind resistence of the wider stance of the Spyder costs somewhere between 3 and 6 mpg. To me, that's not too bad. From the article I read about the Sport Touring comparison, the gas mileage sounds comparable to the Honda ST, BMW 1200GT, Yamaha FJR, and the new Concours.

If I want great gas mileage, I ride my modified for street Yamaha TTR-225, which gets close to 65 mpg city. If gas mileage is your real goal, get a 100+ mpg scooter. Just don't expect decent accelleration. I'm not sure, but I bet the Spyder could out accellerate every car in the top 10 from the fuel economy article. I know it's a lot more fun to ride. For a true rider, a cage just can't give the same experience as a bike. That's why I ride.

I will agree with you on the cost of options. I added Corbin saddle bags, fog lights, the taller wind shield and a tank bag. The price climbed in a hurry. I'm also not too pleased with the routine maintenance prices. Being belt drive, the belt tension is checked and adjusted with each service. (I would have preferred shaft drive) The 2.4 hours for a basic 3,000 mile service was a killer at $85/hour labor cost. And $12 per quart of oil?? Outch!! I might try a different dealer next time. Fortunately, there are 6 to choose from in Utah.

I also agree with the general point of your message - if they really pushed for it, how good could gas mileage get on bikes? I bet we will see improvements over the next few years as this question becomes more important to consumers.

NDRoth
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008

Posted 9/30/2008 6:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was not necessarily comparing the Honda across the board with the Sypder. Carefully read between the lines and you'll discern that my real point of comparison was the cost. In that way a vehicle that has a very small fraction of the steel, no glass to cover all those windows (8 to be exact), no heating and air conditioning infrastructure, considerably less rubber on the road, a fraction of the wiring, etc., etc., etc. Ultimately, the comparison was the cost of the two insofar as what you are getting. The fun factor does consider in there somewhere, but, not that much. Realistically, the Spyder is a fraction of the vehicle. Hence, my concern about the cost.

I too, like you, was a Connie owner. Put a lot of miles on that beast before purchasing another. It was a fine machine. But think about this too. I paid $7,299 for mine brand new in 2003. The last year they sold I believe they went for $8, 399. I stand to be corrected if this is not accurate. There's a lot of difference between that kind of money and the nearly $16,000 for the Spyder. A lot. We can both say honestly that the Connie was a really exceptional buy. Why? Because you got a lot of machine for the money. The Spyder simply doesn't offer that kind of comparison or value.

Now, realistically, again, I realize that Honda punches out a heck-of-a-lot more vehicles than BRP does Spyders. And, I realize that the number sold will have a direct impact on cost. I'm just arguing for a more reasonable price. I can't imagine a consumer saying, "Yeah! $16,000 is a great price for the Spyder". I'm sure it's fun. I'm sure it's a thrill to ride. I'm sure it's all of those things and many more besides. But, when we walk into the dealership we never settle for the MSRP. We always try to get a better deal. Am  I right? That's all I'm saying in advance. It's too much for the materials involved.

Yeah! I think that says it best. It's just too much money for the materials (cost of what materials are combined to make up the unit) and I think that is rather evident. If you really think it's a good deal at 16 grand then perhaps they'd be better off marking up the MSRP just a bit. To be fair to them of course. Maybe they're not making enough money on the deal. The Connie was a heck of a machine, as you well know, at nearly have the price. That's what I'm talking about. I, like you, can say without hesitation that the Connie was an excellent deal.

That, in essence, was my only point. Didn't mean to offend current Spyder owners. I just have to look for good deals before I can plunk down that kind of money. By way of an aside, I can purchase an 08' GoldWing from Power Sports in my area for $19,000. I believe my slot machine would "tilt" in that direction.

Just so you know, I was looking at the Spyder for my wife. We were seriously considering it. Then, she said, "They want that much more for a color change? They're crazy!" That was the end of that for her. And you should know that they were not willing to budge on the price where I live. Well, there you have it. She said it I didn't.

Regarding the fuel economy I happen to think it can be improved without exceptional, in any, loss of performance. Let's just suppose that you stripped the crap off of the ole' Civic. Dramatically reduced it's weight to the point where it would slip into a three-wheeled frame. Similar to the Spyder. With that kind of weight reduction I can assure you that the Honda that gets 40 mpg, fully "clothed", would probably be able to keep up with, if not our run, the Spyder as well as add 20, or so, mpg. I don't know how Honda manages to squeeze that kind of mileage out of a vehicle  weighing several times the weight of the Spyder, but, they do. And, they'll improve upon it I can assure you. Again, all I'm arguing for is the same, comparitively, from the Spyder.

I work in the Information Technology realm. I have for the last 16 years. Prior to that I worked as an automotive technician for 13 years. With that experience under my belt I can say confidently I know the Spyer performance and economy can be improved upon. It's simply a matter of our will. We, as a country, didn't respond to the economic pressures during the oil embargo during the early 70's too well (I was there I know) and if we don't apply some pressure in these trying times then we deserve the criticism of others that deem us so wasteful. I have a lot more confidence in good ole' American ingenuity. We can do it.

I believe you can have your performance, and I can have the cost and economy I'm looking for, in the same vehicle. I really do.

It's up to us. You'll never get what you don't ask for (I'm sure there are exceptions).

Please don't take offense. I have to admire a fella' who will ride in 12 degrees. The coldest I've consistently ridden in is 22 degrees. That 10 degrees makes a big difference. You got "stuff". Hang in there and keep warm.

By the way, where are you posting from? If we're in the same "neighborhood" perhaps we could ride together some time.

Take care.

Post Edited (NDRoth) : 10/1/2008 2:22:14 AM GMT

norCal Randy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 45

Posted 12/3/2008 10:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's another option guys, where you really can have the best of both worlds for a lot less money, it's the Piaggio MP3s(250, 400, 500cc).

Bikes I currently own:

`81 CX100(949) Moto Guzzi
`91 VX800 Suzuki
`04 750 Breva Moto Guzzi
`00 MZ Tour 660 single
`04 Aprilia Scarabeo 500GT scooter
`88 Yamaha Rav 50 scooter(wife's)
 '07 MP3 250 (hers)
`01 Uni-go trailer(1 wheel)

Post Edited (norCal Randy) : 12/6/2008 3:47:45 AM GMT

CH
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 3/11/2009 8:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The article is great. As a SPYDER owner, all I can say is that it is the most fun short of SEX that I have ever had!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 3/11/2009 10:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CH said...
The article is great. As a SPYDER owner, all I can say is that it is the most fun short of SEX that I have ever had!

What other bikes have you ridden?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

CH
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 3/22/2009 7:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm the proud owner of a 2008 Spyder SE5. I can't stop rideing it. Every where I go I ride it. Living in Florida helps with keeping me warm. This machine is SOO much fun to ride. I love every thing about it with two execptions, Shifting  out of Reverse at times is a pain to get it into Nuteral the the "E" comes on, on the LCD display and the display also says to check the transmission. GRRRRRR!! The other thing is, since it beeps when you turn off the engine if the parking brake isn't set, it should Beep when the engine is running and the brake is set. All in all it's a super machine!!   

CH
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 3/22/2009 7:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As to what other bikes I have ridden, Well, several models built by Honda, BMW, and Harley, as well as the Victory. Going from two wheels to three has it's learning curve, But it's still it's worth the effort! I have found that riding all of the others, for me, just becomes boaring after a while, and I park them and drive my Dodge RAM. Riding the Spyder like pilots that fly the SKYMASTER either love it or hate it!

CH
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 3/22/2009 8:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Youcan say what you like about the Spyder, Have you EVER had anyone stop beside you or come up in a parking lot and ask what your Conie or Honda or what ever you ride is? I'd bet not. People think the Spyder is Great, and futuristic looking machine. I fell in love with it when I saw it for about 3 seconds on CSI Miami several months back. It took a few weeks to find out what it was. I asked the price and was expecting 40 to 50,000 bucks, which I can't afford. When I heared that they were 16000, I knew that I could afford it and that I had to have one. I'm the former owner of things like an Amphicar, which was built back in the early sixties and a Seite Spring built in Italy. I just like owning things that are fairly uncommon.