Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jedihobbit
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/11/2009 8:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

New here but thought I drop my two cents in on this "thing"....... it looks like a major option for me vs. going with a "traditional" trike or side car layout.  Reason?? Back in 2000 had to give up bikes because of losing the functionality of my right ear, not just hearing but the inner ear also.  Took me a week and a half just to learn to walk again, so it was forget bikes. cry Needless to say it would on take one time for the vertigo to wipe me or more importantly someone else out.

Oddly enough the wife misses riding more than I do and has been looking for an alternative and this appears to be it.  While I would much rather have the Kaw Voyager we had picked out, this may let me get "back in the saddle". smilewinkgrin

Great review BTW!

colder
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 963

Posted 7/14/2009 8:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CH said...
Youcan say what you like about the Spyder, Have you EVER had anyone stop beside you or come up in a parking lot and ask what your Conie or Honda or what ever you ride is? I'd bet not.

Actually, all the time.

mmendes
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/12/2009 4:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tim-

First I think you highlighted the attributes of the machine very well. I rented one of these beasts yesterday to cruise down Skyline drive in Virginia (with wife) - beautiful at this time of year (both). Never ridden one before. Exactly like a pavement version of an ATV with the dynamics of a Snowmobile, so down south that means more ride time. I have had road bikes, cruisers, PWC, etc. I believe this provides a unique riding experience that needs to be felt to understand. Its very different and not for everyone - but with an aging demographic I see the market and its not just for more mature folks there's plenty of thrill/rationalization for those in 30-40's on the fence of being more responsible (smile). I can see enriching retirement as well with the new RTs. For the rider/wife who was afraid of the big bikes it gave her the perceived security/stability allowing her to feel totally comfortable and had a great time on the back - which made it a super time for me! Remember folks perception is reality in marriage! Sure you loose the feel of the leaning sweeping turn, but its replaced by that snowmo/atv feel. For me it was easy to have her on the back than a 2-wheeler (at some point when riding 2-up on a bike the rider moves differently and lets the driver know your not in synch - not matter how many hours logged), at a stop your not holding up the passenger and machine, turns don't require as much tandem coordination, braking is world class, storage is great, acceleration is strong, backing out of a spot is fantastic. My opinion, even the sport version needs cruise, a backrest (available), hand warmers (avail on RT) and 6th gear. I did not rent the SES, but I thought about it yesterday while riding. At the end of a long (great) day and then a drive with through the cold to dinner, that night, back in bed before she fell asleep my wife whispered "Do you think we could get one?" verses I cant believe your gonna spend $20K on another toy.....go figure guys....

Post Edited (mmendes) : 10/12/2009 12:05:09 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/13/2009 11:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Some interesting posts above.  It is definately a matter of money that would halt me from even giving the Bombardier Spyder any thought.  So it is a cage for me, from now on due to both hips have been broken, both knees are in bad shape to the left ankle is like a trick-ankle & you can never trust it to do its job even in normal walking.

Rob I noted you said you wished your Concour had a reverse in it, but that would mean similiar to the Spyder with only five to the front along with reverse gear.  Have you ever tried to ride a bike in reverse?  We use-to at some events so we would find a 125cc BSA Bantam & trick it into going in reverse in first or any gear.  Lot of laughs as none of us could cover more then 1/4 of a town road.  Mind you with a reverse on the Concour you would be able to WALK it in revers like into your garage or out of a steep parking lot one made error to park in with front end to the front.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 10/13/2009 11:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colder said...
CH said...
Youcan say what you like about the Spyder, Have you EVER had anyone stop beside you or come up in a parking lot and ask what your Conie or Honda or what ever you ride is? I'd bet not.

Actually, all the time.

Same here, my bike is not common and I get quite a few questions about what it is. While fun, however, the reason I ride is NOT to garner comments. I'd rather ride the most plain-Jane Honda out there, than any trike...I want something that leans.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy riding a Spyder, but...given the choice, I'd probably opt for a small convertible sportscar, which would cost less, corner better, offer much better weather protection, and allow me to have a conversation with my passenger. Oh, wait...I already have one of those!

Ken Bonnell
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/28/2010 8:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good article. The only disadvantage of a Spyder for me is that it arrived much too late in my life, which is, of course, no fault of the manufacturer. Right away after happening across this marvelous machine on the internet, I sent a poem to a dealer. To my mind, it was a well-written, heartfelt, passionate piece of work, written with two things in mind.

First to let the dealer know how much I liked the machine. Second, to give the dealer what I thought was an incredible opportunity to cash in on the super senior citizen market. One can easily picture the immense curiosity and interest from folks at the grocery store seeing me and my sweetheart tooling into the parking lot on a touring model, yellow Spyder. Why, I'd bet some would lay down their crutches, put aside their canes and walkers in their rush to inspect this incredible machine. And the questions? How is is possible at your age you can drive such a machine? Are people our age allowed to even sit on such a thing, never mind actually drive one? Where can we buy one? Will AARP cancel our membership if we own one? Will we be covered under the new health plan?

I felt certain the dealer would see the immense profit potential with its poster boy (me) visiting every Mississippi Mall and signing up seniors to buy a Spyder and present me with one as a gift. What a PR opportunity! Getting seniors out of nursing homes and onto the byways and highways. Every day, for months, I'd cross my fingers and look out at my driveway, sure that I'd soon see my dream bike sitting there.

Time and birthdays have passed, including my 82nd. Likely my Social Security check will never be enough to buy one, which means that for the next 10 or 15 years, I will only dream of adventures I might have had.

Oh, yes, did I mention it was a good article?
Kenneth Myron Bonnell
Greenville, MS
thecob@suddenlink.net

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 5/28/2010 9:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great post, Mr. Bonnell!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 5/28/2010 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CH said...
The article is great. As a SPYDER owner, all I can say is that it is the most fun short of SEX that I have ever had!
Sorry to hear about the Sex being so dismal.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 5/28/2010 5:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Sorry to hear about the Sex being so dismal.

lol

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 5/28/2010 6:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
they are fun things to ride around on. No where NEAR as fun as a motorcycle. the one thing I noticed when I rode my buddies spyder (before he totalled it), was that riding in twisties is a task and a half. you are really tired physically because you have to put so much into the bike to get it to handle.

fun and would own one for the wife, but not so much for me.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 5/31/2010 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Never had the chance, but they look like an absolute gas to ride. I'd like to try one one day, but it'd never replace the R3T.

--Trav

"Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."

O.W.H., JR.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/5/2010 12:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

To be honest with all of you this Spyder might be my future what with both hips broken, both knees a mess, to left ankle is such a severe screw-up that it often lets me down when I am going to check my target I was shot h/gun at.

To work on either of my Honda 929 or 954 I cannot squat beside one side or another, but have to lay beside the bikes, but these days needing a lap-top to trace the problem is out of question for I do NOT have a lap-top.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

KevinLNicholson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 12

Posted 10/19/2011 10:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For those who don't like many things about the Spyder roadster pleas re member one thing. Due to disabilities of back or hip or other injuries the Spyder seems to be a great alturnative. I do wish how ever that I could eventually find one at a price I could afford. Such a vehicle would never be as fun as a Harley Davidson, but when one is too busted up to ride a 2 wheeler ever again, the only option is to ride this or don't ride ever again. I have never ridden the Can Am Spyder Roadster, so I can't say whether or not I would like it. How ever, it does look fun. And if it lives up to the hype to any degree, whouldn't the vehicle be worth buying?yeah

KevinLNicholson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 12

Posted 10/19/2011 10:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All is cool. I want one. Can't afford one on my income. That's okay. Soon enough will be on the market. The price will drop for pre owned.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DVC00306.JPG
  333KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 213 time(s).