Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2009 V-Star 950 First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
51 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 10/23/2008 10:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Climb on while MotorcycleUSA takes the latest V-Star cruiser for a ride through north Georgia to see what it's all about. Check out the 2009 V-Star 950 First Ride

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/23/2008 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Claimed torque output is 58.2 lbs.-ft. at 3500 rpm, measured at the crank (figure about 50 or so at the rear wheel)."

Is that correct or is it meant to be an hp reading? Seems awfully low for torque.
Incredible to me that a 950cc bike is considered entry level.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/23/2008 11:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
looks like it may be the end for the v* 1100 with the intro of this one.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/23/2008 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
like people, bikes and autos are getting bigger and bigger.  i'm sure there were many folks back in the 50's and 60's that think new riders starting on a bike with similar specs to the ninja 500 are nuts.  in today's standards, the ninja 500 is perfectly acceptable by most as an entry level bike.

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 10/24/2008 4:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
Desmolicious said...

like people, bikes and autos are getting bigger and bigger. i'm sure there were many folks back in the 50's and 60's that think new riders starting on a bike with similar specs to the ninja 500 are nuts. in today's standards, the ninja 500 is perfectly acceptable by most as an entry level bike.

In the late 60's I had a Honda 305 Scrambler and thought that bike was big. Now, it would be a great bike for a newb. The 1100 was getting old and with the advent of the 1300 Yamaha needed to split the difference between the 650 and the 1300. To me, the bike has the look, the weight is about 50 pounds more than I think necessary for the class and if it is pulling over 5K at just above 70mph in 5th gear somebody needs to up that counter 1 tooth. The price point is pretty solid when compared to the 900 Vulcan as there is only about $400 difference. Now all Yamaha has to worry about is the economy going completely south.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/24/2008 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, the comparo would be between the Yam 950 and Kaw 900. The Kaw is $400 cheaper and looks sweet too.
Apparently the Yam has really short maintenance intervals. Anyone shine a light on this?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Dr. Sprocket
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 88

Posted 10/25/2008 5:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd like to see that comparo.  I, too, have often thought the Kawi 900 is a looker, but me thinks this new offering from Yamaha would be the one to beat.
Desmolicious said...
Yup, the comparo would be between the Yam 950 and Kaw 900. The Kaw is $400 cheaper and looks sweet too.
Apparently the Yam has really short maintenance intervals. Anyone shine a light on this?

Grrrr, baby!  Very grrrr!

JAM20
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/25/2008 6:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MotorcycleUSA, WHERE IS THE VIDEO OF THIS REVIEW???

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 17

Posted 10/29/2008 6:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

So far, from all I've read the 950 sounds sweet.  The only negatives are the clearance of the floorboards when turning AND the height of the "low" stock windshield on the Tourer model.  I'm not sure why Yam would decide to equip the Tourer model with the smallest of the three windshields they offer (only 16" from cut out to top of shield) ....unless they just want to sell windshields to new buyers (cynical I know).  From what I've read, test riders of average ht (5'9" - 5'10") have complained that the stock 16" is too short.

.....guess Yam will get another $170 out of me for a 20" shield.

RW

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 10/30/2008 12:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also i've read several conflicting reports on what colors they will sell them in.....Candy Red, Dark Cherry, Tommy Blue, Liquid Silver, Raven..........

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 11/9/2008 6:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I just picked up the 2009 Yamaha brochure and talked to my dealer.  The Tourer version of the 950 WILL come with the 16" windshield AND will be sold in Black (Raven), Liquid Silver, and in Black Cherry only while the standard 950 model will be sold in Tommy Blue, Raven and Candy Red only.

I write this because I have seen several conflicting reports and just wanted to set the record straight.

Rob

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 11/22/2008 2:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does anyone have a guess as to what the top end (mph) would be on the new Yamaha 950?......or at least the "comfortable" top end where the acceleration drops off?

RW

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 12/10/2008 8:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The ONLY neagtive that I have read (in several reviews) is that the floorboards easily touch. the ground, in the rather shallow turns. This concerns me. Is it typical of other cruisers to do that or is it unique to the 950 due to its very low seat height??

Any thoughts??

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/10/2008 12:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robb said...
The ONLY neagtive that I have read (in several reviews) is that the floorboards easily touch. the ground, in the rather shallow turns. This concerns me. Is it typical of other cruisers to do that or is it unique to the 950 due to its very low seat height??

Any thoughts??
On the Yamaha demo ride at the bike show, the ride leader that I was following was on the 950.  The floorboards seemed to scrape reaally early. Much more so than other cruisers that I have seen.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 12/10/2008 2:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well....that certainly sounds like a potential problem and a design flaw.  Kinda puts a "damper" on my excitment to own one.

The extra low floorboards along with what appears to be a TOO SHORT stock windshield on the tourer model are definitly "cons" and not pros to be considered.

R

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 12/11/2008 3:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robb said...
Well....that certainly sounds like a potential problem and a design flaw. Kinda puts a "damper" on my excitment to own one.

The extra low floorboards along with what appears to be a TOO SHORT stock windshield on the tourer model are definitly "cons" and not pros to be considered.

R

The only problem will be in how long it takes me to lose the floorboards for a set of pegs. The bike will likely go fast enough on the top end to get one of those $1,000 tickets in Florida....50mph over the posted limit.......

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 12/11/2008 6:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cycle Canada reviewed th bike this month. I read it last night. Things that I remember...the tester (who is 6'1") found the riding position very cramped, and the windshield too low. Complained of the floorboards touching down, although they do have replacable scrapers. Said the fueling was great but the power very modest - downshifts needed for passing, more so than one would expect from a largish V-twin. Solid mounted motor, but vibration only intrusive at rpm where you would want to shift anyway. Said that styling-wise, the bike looks much better in person thn in pictures.  Also told the story of having to take evasive action when a pickup truck came around a corner almost entirely in his lane (very common amongst locals in N. Georgia mountains where test was held, I can attest to that) - apparently the bike handled it extremely well.

Biggest question was why it was heavier, and only about $150 less expensive, than the 1100.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Post Edited (YellowDuck) : 12/11/2008 1:58:54 PM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/11/2008 12:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motorcyclist magazine also complained about it's lack of cornering clearance, even compared to other cruisers.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 12/11/2008 12:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I checked out Cycle Canada and they haven't published a review of the Yamaha 950, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I've read a number of other reviews and while most mention the low floorboards and the low standard windshield, NONE have suggested that the 950 was lacking in the power department, so again I'm not sure that your info is accurate.

Also, your comment that the price difference between the 950 and 1100 is only $150 is totally innacurate.  The 950 lists for $8,090 while the 1100 Classic and Custom are $9,490 and $9,290 respectivly.  So the difference is $1,400 and $1,200 respectivly.  But more important the 950 is belt driven vs. drive shaft and fuel injected vs. carburated ...to name just a few differences.

In addition, from the industry rumors I've hear that BOTH the Yamaha 650 and 1100 models will be dropped after 2009 (old style, old technology).

RW

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/11/2008 2:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
612 lbs and 50lbft torque = slooooow. How much hp do you think that it is making? 50? 55?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/11/2008 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
612 lbs and 50lbft torque = slooooow.
the v-star 950 should be fine for many that buy a cruiser to do what it's intended to do.  if going fast is the criteria, then a cruiser is like the v-star or most other cruisers would be a bad choice. 

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/11/2008 5:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hear what you are sayin' Jon, as I also have a cruiser. But(t) still....

Børk! Børk! Børk!

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 12/11/2008 9:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
612 lbs and 50lbft torque = slooooow. How much hp do you think that it is making? 50? 55?

You may be right if measured at the crank Desmo. On the dyno it's 47.3 RWHP and 53.4 torque. Hey, it's a cruiser so I'm not looking for a lot.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/11/2008 9:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
when i had the virago 750 with its' monsterous 40 hp, i cruise on it just fine but i do see that some want fast cruisers based on all the after market supports out there and even manufacture hop up kits like patrick racing for yamaha and screamin eagle for hd but still makes no sense to me why some would spend hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars to make a slow bike go fast and not just use that extra money to buy a fast bike as a second bike.  i've seen good condition older sportbikes like the zx-9, 900rr, etc., or even standards go for less money than some of those hop up kits and it'll still smoke any cruiser except for the new v-max in stock trim. 

Robb
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 12/12/2008 7:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I suppose "fast" is subjective, as are the physical appearances.  I prefer a cruiser for comfort, and I like the way most are styled.  Most will go "fast" but not nessesarily "quick" off the line.  That's fine with me, since I prefer others to take off and enter the intersection before I do.  At 57, my days of racing are far behind me and thats fine.  Now I just want a comfortable and affordable ride so I can smell the flowers as I cruise.