Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Yamaha YFZ-R1 First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 10/21/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For 2012 Yamaha has equipped the R1 with traction control, find out what we thought about the addition in the 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 First Ride article.

Check out our full report: 2012 Yamaha YFZ-R1 First Ride

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 10/21/2011 11:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not many changes other than the TC which would likely have saved Soapster from hitting the tarmac on his damp track day.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/21/2011 11:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The traction control does not save you from hitting the tarmac. Just like Your ABS didn't work in Your time of need,
All of these Electronic assists from sensors and sorted by maps....have their limits.

Marketing sells the image of the feature saving your ass....but Marketing lies to sell their product.

Street riders that want serious performance...are given Mode Choices, so the reduction of power is chosen (like rain or urban or race mode). But that ignores the little item of conditions change dramatically on the public road, and the mode choice might just bite you in the ass, if it is wrong, and the need for different is so sudden you can't
Change it, in the commotion of need to change it.

The track racers depend on these assists...and reducing the intrusion to the finest degree, and have even added GPS to be changing the maps to the very corner condition the bike is in, at any given moment.  They have Race crews, doing the set-ups....

The street rider has squat....and gets squat.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 10/21/2011 7:05:49 PM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/21/2011 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
not much change, still has the same 09' looks (which i'm not too fond of) compared to the two previous gens.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/21/2011 2:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Waaay too little, waaay too late.

The Yam is only remaining SB using the under tail mufflers which roast you. Everyone else has moved on, including the new upcoming Ducati.
The Yam is the heaviest bike. The weakest bike. Maybe the most expensive Japanese SB. Adding TC is not enough. They didn't even change it's styling.

The upcoming Honda at least is based on a bike that is still extremely competitive.

The BMW has been given a new set of updates, even though the previous version already smacked the Yam silly.
And the new Duc with e everything and all new chassis/motor is coming.

Using the economy as an excuse does not work, as neither Ducati, BMW or Aprilia seem to have problems with it...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/21/2011 5:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...

from what i've read, i really like ducati and kawasaki's formula as of late (more power, less weight) unlike the older duc, and the current r1's formula (more weight, less power). besides the atrocious mid pipe sticking out like a sore thumb, i really dig the new duc superbike in terms of looks. i've also heard that duc will no longer use the ugly trellis or as i put it 'scaffold' frame on the new superbike. if so, hope they expand the new frame to other models particularly their naked models because it'll make the looks easier on my eyes.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/21/2011 6:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it a yzf yfz cant tell,its described so many ways... lol Late to the party. And without superbike racing in its cache,it could very wel be some lean years for the fans of the Yam. Too bad. Pass the keys to the priller please.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 10/22/2011 6:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thats not true as far as under tail exhaust roasting you. Maybe some of the other brands will but Honda must have put some time into the design of the Interceptor because Ive never had a issue with heat nor has my wife riding on the back on long stints. Its also nice not having a hot pipe to melt a shoe or a cold weather riding suit getting on and off the bike lol.
Desmolicious said...

The Yam is only remaining SB using the under tail mufflers which roast you. Everyone else has moved on, including the new upcoming Ducati.
The Yam is the heaviest bike. The weakest bike. Maybe the most expensive Japanese SB. Adding TC is not enough. They didn't even change it's styling.

The upcoming Honda at least is based on a bike that is still extremely competitive.

The BMW has been given a new set of updates, even though the previous version already smacked the Yam silly.

Using the economy as an excuse does not work, as neither Ducati, BMW or Aprilia seem to have problems with it...

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 10/22/2011 7:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not a mention of new ECU improving mid range and pull. The 09-11 U.S. model benefits so much from the ECU reflash, and Yamaha tweaked the new ECU out of the box and greatly improved it in stock form.

I could switch from Dynojet to Bazzazz and put their TC on mine and get effectively the same thing. I'm not convinced it's worth it. TC might have helped me on the wet session. The most it could have done was cut power a fraction of a second quicker than I did, which I suppose could have made the difference. The bike took its time to catch traction again even after rolling off (and then spitting me off the side), so whatever.

There are a number of things that need fixing on the bike and the update for '12 was pretty small. I have zero butt roast because of my 3/4 exhaust system.

Desmolicious said...

They did not face the horrors of the nuclear power plant disaster. Japan's economic situation was already questionable before that happened.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 10/22/2011 4:26:10 PM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/22/2011 5:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MichaelD said...
Thats not true as far as under tail exhaust roasting you.

i've never had any heat issue on my 919 or king. also have a nephew that has a 1198 and no heat issue either. in fact, on the king, after a ride, i can put my hand on the exhaust covers and it only feels warm.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/22/2011 8:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The issue with the R1's heat isn't so much that it's undertail, but that the catalytic converter is right next to your right leg. It's that b***h that gives you the rump roast. Aftermarket Y-pipe = problem solved. And do not start with, "bu bu bu you shouldn't have to buy aftermarket X product to fix Y problem, " because I already agree. This R1 was flawed out of the crate and needed some loving. I gave that to mine (and more...sans my crash of course lol) and it has given it back.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/24/2011 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
Desmolicious said...

They did not face the horrors of the nuclear power plant disaster. Japan's economic situation was already questionable before that happened.
That happened just a few months ago.
This 'new' R1 was ok'd for production a couple o years ago...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/24/2011 2:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MichaelD said...
Thats not true as far as under tail exhaust roasting you. Maybe some of the other brands will but Honda must have put some time into the design of the Interceptor because Ive never had a issue with heat nor has my wife riding on the back on long stints. Its also nice not having a hot pipe to melt a shoe or a cold weather riding suit getting on and off the bike lol.
Desmolicious said...

Well, that;s because Honda was smart enough to understand that more power = more heat.
So with the VFR they turned down the power to a mild 89hp to make sure the passenger would not get roasted:

Or about half of what a BMW S1000RR makes.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/24/2011 8:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not talking about design holdbacks, but manufacturing. I don't think the 2012 ones were built all THAT long ago. Even so, Japan and its companies suffered badly as a whole. But, yes, I agree they did not do enough of a refresh. EU has shaky economy, too...but their designs were probably mostly done before a lot of the panic hit. Not sure how their manufacturing capability was impacted...

Indeed if I bought today I would not buy the R1. I wouldn't buy the Aprilia, either. It may have the most friendly electronics, but that's about it. It's almost as heavy as the R1 and makes about the same or less power (a lot less than mine, anyway). Then you have to deal with the price gap. I understand electronics are expensive and you could not get the exact same good electronics from the Ape and put it on any bike. That's fine if you're all about the computers. I doubt I'd go for the 1198, as I always read about Superbikes being slow turning, they're expensive, and they are pretty damned uncomfortable. I suppose for a track machine this does not matter too much, but I don't usually see them perform well in lap time comparisons. Given how I've faired with them on the track (R1 or on the S1000RR) I'm not overly impressed. I think they're rolling art and they're cool, but harder to live with (and heaven forbid I crash the thing because that will destroy the wallet hard). The Kawasaki I'd consider as a track bike. The ECU fix and track plastics (to hide the ugliest headlights of the class) and it's a capable bike. I'd rather the Beemer, though, I think. Ultimately I think it's hard to make a case to not go with the BMW for track use. It makes life quite easy and does it well. It works. It's a little bit boring (though not as boring as the Blade) but I'd deal. If I decided to go "exotic" I'd have to have the KTM. I know it makes something in the range of 2nd lowest peak HP of the group, but it's extremely lightweight and feels like a bicycle. That, and it's stunning to look at. I'd get the track-only version that has a lot more oomph behind it (and is lighter yet!!).

Judge me if you like!! :p

edit: Oh, and I will say I was just considering the liter class. Realistically if I sold my R1 and just wanted to get a bike for the track I'd probably get a 600 class bike. Something used, can take a beating, lots of parts. Maybe an R6 (the most uncomfortable sportbike I've sat on in my life for 06+...but for track this matters not).

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 85

Posted 11/7/2011 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SOAP just FYI b/c you mention the S1000RR Battley has their demo there for sale. May want to go check it out if you're truly interested.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/7/2011 9:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, if I was buying today I would go down that route. I'm not buying today, or likely tomorrow (or the day after) :p

I still have a long ways to go on my current bike before it'd be a good idea to switch to another. By then, who knows what bike will be on top.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 85

Posted 11/7/2011 11:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very true

stenejohn
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 28

Posted 12/10/2011 2:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Its fact
The Yamaha YFZ is always my favorite bike now currently also.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 12/10/2011 4:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Justin said he loved the sound of the R1. I know the crap speakers on my office pc don't give a true representation but dang, that thing sounded cheap and tinny to my ears. The Kwacker, Gixxer and the CBR sound waaaaay better
IMO

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!