Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 10/28/2011 1:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Moto Guzzi's V7 Racer is a retro-styled machine that gives the joy of a classic bike with the reliability of a modern motorcycle. Find out what we thought of this cool looking Guzzi in this First Ride article.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/28/2011 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"A compression ratio of 9.6:1 and a bore/stroke of 80 x 74mm pumps out 38.11 hp and 37.26 lb-ft of torque. Not exactly impressive numbers, but I guess they can be claimed as period-correct."

Actually no.
The original V7 made almost double the power of this tarted up V7 Classic. So, 30 years later, half the power.
Definitely not period correct..

I actually like the V7 Classic with the bench seat and upright bars. Because it's just a nice riding, nice handling classic looking bike. It doesn't pretend to be a cafe racer sporty bke.
This on the other hand is a dishonest machine, bringing nothing to the table apart from pose and a more uncomfortable riding position. Just like the Triumph Thruxton.

At least the Guzzi is still built in Italy, unlike the Thruxton which now hails from Thailand.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/28/2011 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow, 38 hp, 436 lbs., and almost $10k? the dollar/value just went down the toilet and i don't even take my 'subjective' opinion of the ugly sideways twin engine that sticks out like a sore thumb into consideration. freaked

this bike ranks with the honda dn-01 in terms of overall dollar/value ratio in my book.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 10/29/2011 10:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it DOES make 3 more hp....................................than my DRZ400SM! lol

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/29/2011 11:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is a poor motorcycle. Just read the article. He makes excuses for everything it doesn't do well. Really odd. Guzzi messed this up badly. I did the motor layout. Of course,I dig have a silverwing,so I'm biased. Oh by the way,Silverwing has more hp than this bike. sad. its a 500. Makes 50hp sad,sad, Guzzi should be ashamed.
 Test riders yellow boots are well,different. Wonder if they are part of the package.... Slow bike comes with High viz yellow boots so when everyone in the world is passing you,including elderlys on their hover rounds,they are cautious. lol

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/29/2011 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Rich_S said...
Moto Guzzi's V7 Racer is a retro-styled machine that gives the joy of a classic bike with the reliability of a modern motorcycle. Find out what we thought of this cool looking Guzzi in this First Ride article.

Oh my aching backside...that verbage is identical to selling homes. When a piece of crap is called Classic styling or Quaint, or Charming....
All the terms used, to avoid saying,  This piece of junk, is grossly over priced for what it is, but we hope some sucker without any taste what-so-ever, gets sucked in on it.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 10/30/2011 11:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
38 hp........not even worth considering.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/30/2011 12:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...

this bike ranks with the honda dn-01 in terms of overall dollar/value ratio in my book.

To be fair, this Guzzi makes the same powah as the DoNot-Order1, but is $5000 cheaper.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

nochrome
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 36

Posted 10/30/2011 12:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I want to be able to defend this bike but I'm pretty much with everyone else. This bike does not make sense when you can get a Ducati Monster, Aprilia Shiver, or Street Triple for the same money. Retro styling is Ok IMO but retro performance is not. Not for this money. Also, I had this bike in 2004. It was the Breva 750 back then, exact same guts and performance, just different cosmetics and wheels now, for $2000 more? Uh, no.

Look, Guzzi, I'm a fan. I've bought two Guzzis. But this is a cynical cash grab trading off a legendary bike. (note: the original V7 was a big block; this is a small block). I even think there is room for small block in the line up, if the price is right and/or it goes to 4-valve and maybe 55 hp. Guzzi needs to stop making modern looking bikes with retro performance as well, and the new 2012 Norge Griso and Stelvio are almost there.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/30/2011 9:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
jon said...

To be fair, this Guzzi makes the same powah as the DoNot-Order1, but is $5000 cheaper.

yep, the dn has a mere 5 more hp at the wheel but weighing a whopping 170 more pounds. freaked

upon further review, the goose ranks a step higher...

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/31/2011 12:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nochrome said...
 Guzzi needs to stop making modern looking bikes with retro performance as well, and the new 2012 Norge Griso and Stelvio are almost there.
BIKE magazine rated the Griso as the numero uno nekkid bike, and the newly revised Stelvio for 2012 (as well as the Norge for 2012) are right there.

It is the small blocks in the range that are weak.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/7/2011 5:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

To some of us the Moto Guzzi is a lovely bike to have on the road.  Forget the racing end of the bike, & forget that at lst the few Moto Guzzi bikes in Canada had electronical problems.  Even Moto Guzzi maker could not solve this other then to hire in some electronical experts from Japan & things were corrected.

I like the v-twin taking in some air & know the bike has been a darn nice bike to hit the back roads or the mountain roads.

Said improvement or not in HP is NOT the main factor in MY MIND.  Crumbs I ride a '00 Honda 929 to also a ;03 Honda 954 with stock saddle on them what most claimed to feel like a plank, but happy with both & yes same with the stock saddle PLUS being a bit old they do not rank up to some of the other 1000cc bikes.

For I know if I am on a two lane road of the mountains & someone up ahead with an RV is rubber necking & well below the max speed of 100kph while others behind are suffering the same.  If I see no oncomming (or some far off in the distance) traffic then it is go down two or three cogs turn up the wick & go by all of them like a ruddy rocket.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.