Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2011 Streetfighter Shootout  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
50 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 10/31/2011 11:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sportbike performance with more forgiving ergos and stripped down styling. Once again its time for a MotoUSA Streetfighter Shootout.

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/31/2011 11:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow, now the diavel is a "streetfighter"???

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 10/31/2011 11:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...

It's one of those bikes that doesn't have a defined category, so it gets entered in to various tests to find where it fits in. Sort of like the Honda VFR1200F.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/31/2011 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
jon said...

It's one of those bikes that doesn't have a defined category, so it gets entered in to various tests to find where it fits in. Sort of like the Honda VFR1200F.

Eh?  That bike is like the K1300S, except no-one buys it.
So it should fit in the same category as the Beemer.

Anyway, what is mystifying about the Honda CB1000R is that Honda has plenty of older gen 1000 motors that make 140+ rwhp that could have been used.
But maybe the spine frame on the Honda cannot handle that powah?
What other reason could there be to bring out a bike that is not competitive with its rivals?

p.s. cannot wait for the Aprilia to make it state side

Børk! Børk! Børk!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/31/2011 1:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Um love the idea of this shoot out,but 2 of the dominate forces are missing.  Aprillas Tuono v twin it kinda started manufactures down this road,mho and the earth shattering KTM, every bit as good as any one,maybe 2 of these bikes combined,and the class leader imho... How does the diavel slip in and those two are forgotten? Ducati wins it, with the streetfighter,which isnt a surprise as class leader isnt on test. But no fz8? Its as much of a street fighter as the cb is. Seriously flawed test. Street trip would have shown up its bigger bro,mho.
 Im going to blow next years test up for ya,Tuono wins. May possibly win bike of the year. HA LOL Im biased.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 10/31/2011 3:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Funny how on the scoreboard the Streetfighter wins, but no one picked it as their buy. I'd take the Speed Triple (R version when available...)

Of course I wouldn't get any of these. The new V4 Tuono would be mine. el SID knows what's up...

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/31/2011 3:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
jon said...

It's one of those bikes that doesn't have a defined category, so it gets entered in to various tests to find where it fits in. Sort of like the Honda VFR1200F.

well, that just validated jclax's claim that the diavel is "not a cruiser" and many others' similar claim. oh well, whatever....

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 10/31/2011 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are definitely missing entries here from Aprilia, KTM,MV Augusta and possibly Benelli.

The only one I've ridden extensively here is the Ducati Streetfighter which I love - the thing's a beast and hangs with the liter bikes at the track handily. I know Lou thinks it's a bike for Nancy boys and wussies, but he hasn't ridden it - trust me, the bike rocks at the track and is more (much more) than enough for the road.

If it were my own money in this shootout I'd spring for the Kwack as it is 90% of the Ducati for WAY less money, but the Aprilia is the dark horse in this category and I wish it had been in the comparo.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/31/2011 3:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
Funny how on the scoreboard the Streetfighter wins, but no one picked it as their buy.

yep, thought it was weird too but guess that's why personal preference over rule at the end of the day. in fact 3 out of the 5 testers picked the z1000.

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 10/31/2011 4:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
Rich_S said...
jon said...

It's one of those bikes that doesn't have a defined category, so it gets entered in to various tests to find where it fits in. Sort of like the Honda VFR1200F.

well, that just validated jclax's claim that the diavel is "not a cruiser" and many others' similar claim. oh well, whatever....
How about Power Cruiser Streetfighter. lol

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/31/2011 5:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
jon said...

Rich_S said...

jon said...

How about Power Cruiser Streetfighter. lol

yep, hybrid devil (half lucifer, half jesus). yeah

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/31/2011 5:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For those who want to see how the Aprilia V4 and MV Agusta did against the Duc et al:

http://youtu.be/EEuJnKcL5qw

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/31/2011 5:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone see a movie that came out around 1967, called Cool Hand Luke?

A prison Warden had a line....What we Have is a failure to communicate.

This is one of those....Street fighter had a definition once...Then people that didn't know what fight meant, hung the Street figher label on anything that was naked.

Now factories (their marketing dept) hangs it on whichever Coffee shop poser they are selling...It will be heavier and be more passenger friendly (like a bike can pack a passenger and win a fight) and have raked out forks that non-fighters prefer in their slow moves and longer wheel bases to again please their slow posers.

And some guy will say it does fine at the track....We are talking street fighter...Not Track fighter, though.

And who says it does fine at the track?  Against what at the track?

The whole catagory has gone nuts...so call anything Ya want, whatever ya want. Stark raving nuts can win with whatever empty words they want to use. Is that waht MCUSA wants to be? A bunch of posers?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/1/2011 1:02:11 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 10/31/2011 6:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuJnKcL5qw
think its the same as desmos just clickable. Cant wait.
Gotta say,the letters CB any displacement, meant it was a standard.  Street fighter nope. Hence the question about why not fz8. For me,the first bike ever factory streetfighter produced was this.
Tuono 1000r v twin superbike motor,superbike everything. Only difference is, no plastic. HORNY! a real weapon,try one if you can.
Now a real "Streetfighter" well thats a horse of a different breed. Something tasty,like this.....
Martek frame,gsxr1000 turbo,nitrous,wsbk everything,trees,forks,shock. Mental. Or perhaps,a spondon gsxr
or some milder versions like this.
cb1000 not a street fighter.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 10/31/2011 6:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Anyone see a movie that came out around 1967, called Cool Hand Luke?

about the only thing I remember about that movie is the gal washing the car. good googgly moo.....

the diavel is definitely NOT a street fighter.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 10/31/2011 7:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
And who says it does fine at the track? Against what at the track?

well this bit at least I can answer personally... what track? NHIS, NJMP and Lime Rock.

Against what? 1198 1098s, and pretty much everything else in the Ducati line up, Speed and Street Triples, 675s and my own R6.

I have a lot of time on the Streetfighter and it's an excellent track bike - period. It hangs with the Ducati pure race bikes without a problem - maybe it would be somewhat down at Road America or Spokane - but at the tracks I ride, it performs extremely well, it's in that class. Any good intermediate rider on any liter sport bike will not have a chance of hanging onto the back of an expert rider on a Streetfighter. On the road, it's overkill - as are any of the liter race reps. It copes well with bumps, off camber corners, sudden transitions (don't be fooled into thinking the steering is lazy, because of the slightly extended steering geometry, losing the clip-ons - and by extension, the weight over the front - means it pretty much has the same feel as the race reps) it turns on a dime to the point of being skittish.

If you get a chance to ride the 1098/1198s and then the Streetfighter back to back Lou, I think you'd be surprised at how little has been lost. If I have any real complaint about the bike (apart from price which is crazy) it's that the bars could be higher and the seating position more comfortable and upright for the road.

I'm still not buying one, and I suspect the Aprilia is a more forgiving, powerful and tractable bike, but I really think Ducati did not drop the ball on this bike and it's certainly not just for the latte coffee bar set (although I don't doubt a few will buy them).

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/1/2011 9:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
think its the same as desmos just clickable. Cant wait.
Gotta say,the letters CB any displacement, meant it was a standard.  Street fighter nope. Hence the question about why not fz8. For me,the first bike ever factory streetfighter produced was this.
Tuono 1000r v twin superbike motor,superbike everything. Only difference is, no plastic. HORNY! a real weapon,try one if you can.
Now a real "Streetfighter" well thats a horse of a different breed. Something tasty,like this.....
Martek frame,gsxr1000 turbo,nitrous,wsbk everything,trees,forks,shock. Mental. Or perhaps,a spondon gsxr
or some milder versions like this.
cb1000 not a street fighter.

Thanks el CID,does my heart good to see real street Fighters....and the warm spot for the people that put them together.

Offsets the knowing there are riders that call a Z1000 a street fighter, because they don't have a clue that it isn't a ZX-10 that was street fighterized...to them not knowing what a bike does...they don't see a difference.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 11/1/2011 11:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nothing surprising in the results for me. The CB is another "also ran" in a pack that it really has no business in, a Holiday Inn across the road from a Marriott if you will. But then none of them really float my boat anyway, I'll stick with my RC51 thanks.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/1/2011 12:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We're fortunate to have such a wide variety of motorcycles to choose from, including these styles of bikes.

Anyone who thinks there is a cookie cutter "best bike solution" for everyone is delusional.

I appreciate opinion of people who have actually ridden some of the bikes in question like Racer.

Experience, which expands the pool of knowledge about a subject, trumps opinion.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 11/1/2011 2:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Experience, which expands the pool of knowledge about a subject, trumps opinion"
Well said GAJ. I'm not a fan of the particular style of bike is all. I've sat on the CB1000, and the KZ. Couldn't get close enough to a Duc at the show to oggle it so. My Honda buddy tells me the CB is a blast to ride, but he's paid to say that isn't helol

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/2/2011 5:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gaj,do you think that the cb/z1000 has a place here? I just really feel there are more bikes that are closer to the actual thing than a castrated cbr1000/zx10. I have ridden a Brutale,not the new one, but the old stroked 750,I believe its a 910,its fast,sounds great,and a bit hairy. The v twin tuono I have ridden as well,its a fun bike,that provokes a constant smile. Both of these bikes have moved forward, electronics,more power,etc. I have ridden CBs but not the new one. A Hornet. It was a good standard. But it is in no way a streetfighter. IMHO while they can do trackdays,that isnt the mission statement. Both bikes pale in comparison to the KTM990 super duke,which I have ridden. That bike is utterly fantastic,a bit flighty in the front,mega wheelies at a twist,a real character.
  These bikes (street fighters) were dreamt up by fellas wanting the handling,and power,but wanting a standard seating position. A standard bike just wont cut the mustard when stacked up against a bunch a hooligans. For the z1000 and cb to compete they need current gen superbike motors and chassis, otherwise they are just castrated standards. It may sound opinionated but thats what the true formula is. Can a manufacturer or magazine place a moniker on the bike and claim its a street fighter? Sure. But plan on people calling the bluff. Streetfighters use top shelf compontentry,with common man ergos. Simple as that. Honda/kawasaki could be in the sharp end of the feild if they would cut a couple of guys loose in Japan and let them build a nutter, but instead you get a good looking standard with bottom shelf bits and bobbins. I dig the Ducati streetfighter,minus the name. A bit daft on Ducatis part. It goes like stink,stops hard,has nice bits and makes race rep Japanese riders tremble,when ridden proper.
The cb and z1000 are really good standards,they just dont belong here,imho.
 On a side note,Racer probably knows this already,but for 2012 Ducati have decided to use larger/more swept back bars. To aid in a better/more comfortable  riding position. They will carry over to the 848 street fighter coming next year. Can you tell dude at store was trying hard to get me to buy one. Its disgustingly thin and pricey,kinda like a super model. But like racer said it will hang with liter bikes,and do justice to its name.
Still baffled at the allowance of the diavel here. CB and Z are more welcome than it. I had forgotten about the Benelli completely, cool bike never seen one though.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/2/2011 10:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^ Opinionated...but that is my opinion as well. It would be the opinion of anyone that has that blood in the eye, killer instinct, and a history of pushing the envelope, in battle.

Since Sport Rider did a feature a couple years ago, called Ultimate Sport Bike, Build Your own, where they Street fighter ized their R1 and took it to a canyon workout spot..and evaluated it there....

They were amazed at the increase of performance..way beyond what the little loss of weight of the removed plastic could account for..., it should of opened more eyes.

The street involves more difficult conditions than the built for safe racing, track does. A Street fighter is best seen as an open class dirt bike on steroids that only a Rock Star with a a private Doctor can obtain.

The bikes are evolving, from the owner only builts, to factory builts, but it takes a certain type of rider to complete the package either way.

A rider that isn't a street fighter type, will prefer a neutered bike, that looks kinda like a street fighter (but doesn't do anything too quick) and of course that rider will only do mild stuff with that mild bike..so it's a marrage made in heaven for that rider.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/2/2011 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To el Sid; these bikes aren't really for me.

No question of which bike similar to these I would choose; the $9,499 675 Street Triple R at 426lbs wet.

Here's the conclusion from the most recent MotoUSA test of that bike:

“I love this bike,” extolls Adam. “Triumph has hit a home run with this model. It’s one of the most charismatic motorcycles on the market and is unlike anything else I’ve ever ridden.”

Agreed. Grin-plastering engine. Pulse-racing performance. The Street Triple R is the total package and one of our favorite rides on the roads today. "

You could buy two of them for the price of the Diavel! lol

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/2/2011 4:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed gaj,I mentioned that if it were included in the test it would have bested its bigger brother. I hope next year they include the 848SF and 675ST because in the real world,they more than likely are more useable. Diavel,is uber over priced.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Z1deOrDie
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/3/2011 5:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I posted this below the article itself, but i thought i'd do it again in the forums so maybe MotoUSA staff might see it and make a few changes for their next "streetfighter shootout".

Firstly, I do not agree with having the Ducati Diavel on the test, it is definitely not a streetfighter. An overpriced power-cruiser, yes. It should be compared with other bikes in its league, like the Yamaha V-Max.

Secondly, I do not agree with having the street bikes tested and rated pretty much purely on the performance side of things, especially on the track. They should be more rated according to usability and street friendliness. Comfort, lighting of the roads at night, fuel efficiency, cost on the road, power and performance (coming in last). etc etc.

Now if you read the following, you will think that I am biased. Yes, of course I am !! lol.

I've owned and ridden the 02,05,08 R1's and an 06 GSXR1000 in the last 10ish years. Last week, I've gone and traded in my 08 R1 for a 2012 Kawasaki Z1000 ABS. Wow, what a great bike ! I should have gone down this path earlier, duh what was i thinking??! Having had to put up with the "un"ergonomics of sportsbikes for the past decade, my back is thanking me for making the right choice. So much more comfortable. The motor is incredible & so torquey. A lot of power down low. Every time I ride, it puts a grin on my face. I don't think I'll be missing the top end only powerband of the superbikes as in reality I'm not gonna do 280km\hr on the streets, hey I'd like to keep my license thank you.

My only grievance is, the lights at night are not the most powerful that i've seen (in stock form anyways) and I think MotoUSA should also test the brightness of the lights as I think it is an important feature as they are not all the same and a lot of people who buy these might use it as a main mode of transport (bright lights at night are certainly helpful).

I have not tested the ABS feature, but the brakes seems to work fine and good feel to them, stops just fine. If I ever end up in a situation where the ABS needs to kick in, i'm hoping that it does a good job in saving my a$$ !!

To sum it up, the grin factor is important, I really am having fun on the bike. What i also dont understand is, not one single tester picked the Ducati Streetfighter (for their money) and still it came out on top. Does not make any sense to me ?