Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 11/16/2011 6:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motorcycle USA samples Suzuki’s latest Wee-Strom riding through the Blue Ridge Mountains on the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure.

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 11/16/2011 10:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
as with other bikes in this class, it's not very attractive (whether it be this bargain bike or the more expensive yamaha to the even more pricey ducati) but if i have to travel adventurously for a living, this bike seem like it could do the job.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/17/2011 12:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like they listened to their existing customers and addressed most all of the "weak" areas on the old bike.

Still, on a bike that has mild off road pretensions, I just don't get this:

"We couldn’t bring ourselves to place full trust in the brakes on the dirt, as the new, lighter Bosch ABS can’t be switched off."

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/18/2011 4:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm abs and dirt. Sounds like a great way to get hurt. I can see how abs would take the control out of your hands on dirt. Need to be able to slide the front and rear sometimes. Electronic interference would not be welcome. That BMW scarred you didnt it Gaj. If there were a anti,anti lock brake band wagon,you would be the driver. lol

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 11/18/2011 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nah, El Sid, ABS works great on many bikes...not so great on some others.

But I'm a big believer in having an on/off switch...especially for "Adventure Bikes."

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

mrmarklin
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 299

Posted 11/19/2011 7:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just got back from San Mateo MC show, and once you have seen the BMW adventure bike why would anyone get anything else? freaked

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/IMG_6142.jpg[/IMG]

2008 Harley-Davidson Crossbones

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 11/19/2011 9:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mrmarklin said...
Just got back from San Mateo MC show, and once you have seen the BMW adventure bike why would anyone get anything else? freaked

Well... probably because you can get 2 1/2 of these little V Stroms for the price of a GS1200R (not to mention insurance, service and repair costs)!

Having said that, there's no doubt that the GS1200R and GS800 are at the pinnacle of adventure touring bikes and the V Stroms are mainly road bikes with some fire-road and light off road capabilities. However, if your needs happen to match the bike's abilities, then the V Stroms are very capable bikes (I'd prefer the 1000 version for the road grunt personally).

Just because a Range Rover represents the peak of the SUV market, doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a Toyota RAV4, Honda CRX or Kia Sorrento.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/19/2011 10:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The V-stroms have bargain basement suspension...that low price doesn't come without drawbacks.

So...it all depends on what a rider values, and is willing to pay for.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/19/2011 5:17:58 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/19/2011 10:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Nah, El Sid, ABS works great on many bikes...not so great on some others.

But I'm a big believer in having an on/off switch...especially for "Adventure Bikes."

el  SID said on dirt...He said it right, 

A Nah response means you don't read right.  And You of all People aught to Know, Ya don't have to be on dirt to confuse a computer map, managing a bikes behavour.

And el SID knows the maps have boundries, that's what keeps race teams busy, tweeking the maps before a race.

And everyone should know, if Ya don't have a race team working for you, and you are encountering fresh situations of unknown surface conditions on that public road that you haven't been on in in the previous few minutes....Ya might just be over taxing your maps boundries, in that surprise that comes up.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/19/2011 10:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
The V-stroms have bargain basement suspension...that low price doesn't come without drawbacks.

So...it all depends on what a rider values, and is willing to pay for.

Compared the GS1200R the V Stroms pretty much have bargain basement everything! Low price usually comes with drawbacks and those may, or may not, be important to you. Like the Range Rover / Kia Sorrento comparison, some people financially don't the choice, and others are fine with limited capabilities.

I tend to buy what I want, and don't cut corners when it comes to my riding - I appreciate and rely on top shelf components and luckily enough my choices aren't dictated by finances. However, I also realize that for many riders a GS1200R is simply overkill and there are many riders who simply don't use the extra margins and abilities of premium components.

I'm not in the market for an adventure tourer of any stripe, if I were, it would be either a GS800 or even a KLR650 depending on where I was headed. I love the big Beemer but she's a heavy girl and sometimes more is simply too much.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/19/2011 11:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KTM!!!!! Im biased though. It represents what I would want out of a trailie/road warrior. Massively capable off road. Paris to Dakar wins help too,lol. BMW is a good mount,this v strom is what it is, cheap, and it probably will do well. I dont see too many hard core fellas even giving it a sniff though.mho

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/19/2011 2:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
KTM!!!!! Im biased though. It represents what I would want out of a trailie/road warrior. Massively capable off road. Paris to Dakar wins help too,lol. BMW is a good mount,this v strom is what it is, cheap, and it probably will do well. I dont see too many hard core fellas even giving it a sniff though.mho

I have very limited experience of KTMs - everyone seems to love them though, but there's no dealer near me. I did have a brief ride in Baja on a KTM 525 for about 15 minutes (we swapped bikes for a short section) and it was a beast, lighter and more aggressive than my XR650. I have no experience of their bigger adventure bikes, I'm sure they rock, but support would worry me. How do they cut it on the road for long periods?

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/19/2011 6:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No clue racer,I have only been off road on them. But it was good,real good. Surprised a bike with that big of a motor could be as nimble(relative) as it is.
The 525 is a beasty, a good friend has one,whenever we go to the UP,he leaves me and anyone else far behind on fire roads. If you can calm your right hand down,it is highly effective though. Its a gear higher than normal bike,just because in tight trails its delivery is a bit to brutal. I can imagine out in the desert,it would be a good partner. How did you like the link-less suspension racer? It takes a sec to get on with,but I felt it was good,just a bit different.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/20/2011 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
No clue racer,I have only been off road on them. But it was good,real good. Surprised a bike with that big of a motor could be as nimble(relative) as it is.
The 525 is a beasty, a good friend has one,whenever we go to the UP,he leaves me and anyone else far behind on fire roads. If you can calm your right hand down,it is highly effective though. Its a gear higher than normal bike,just because in tight trails its delivery is a bit to brutal. I can imagine out in the desert,it would be a good partner. How did you like the link-less suspension racer? It takes a sec to get on with,but I felt it was good,just a bit different.

To be honest Sid, I it was only a 15 minute swap on a mix of single track trails and a blast across a lake bed in Baja - I was riding with guys faster me and just keeping up, trying to survive and not drop a friend's bike! A tough to time to evaluate anything beyond the fact that it was more aggressive than the XR650 and I needed to keep my control inputs as light and smooth as possible. I'm sure given more time I'd have better feedback, but I am so in love with the XR650 and know it so well that getting used to anything else out there takes time.

I know that the "Long Way Round" guys had initially wanted to use KTMs, but KTM bailed on them, so they ended up with the GS1100Rs... I thought they seemed perfect for the road and lighter trails (as packed up as they were) but something smaller would have been better when the going got rough. I've met guys who swear my the Kawasaki KLR650s - easy to work on, light, bulletproof, cheap, good in the dirt, OK on the roads - kind of like a Jeep Wrangler on two wheels!

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/20/2011 6:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have heard the same about KLRs. Never had an oppurtunity to ride one though. Rode a a ton of xrs though,250s350s600s650s,a good trali bike,highly reilable,a bit lazy,lol. Ewan and charlie probabally wouldnt have made it the long way round or down on a KTM. Kinda finicky in my experiences. Good bikes but like everything they break. Like you said,low dealer networks put a scare into the off roader. And that train of thought stays with you when you go on the road as well.  

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest
current hacks

1996 honda vfr

1973 kawasaki h1

1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 11/27/2011 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou said:

"el SID said on dirt...He said it right,

A Nah response means you don't read right. "

You may want to read the rest of El Sid's comments...and mine before you start accusing others of problems with reading comprehension old man. lol

You're so intent on slamming me you can't even think straight!

All ABS bikes should have an on/off switch; I plan on never buying another ABS bike...but if I change my mind, it will definitely have to have an on/off switch.

An adventure bike lacking that feature is complete idiocy.