Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Can-Am Spyder Roadsters First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 12/19/2011 9:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motorcycle USA heads to sunny SoCal for a spin on the latest Can-Am three-wheelers, the full touring edition 2012 Spyder RT and the sportier 2012 Spyder RS-S with its new Fox shocks.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 12/19/2011 2:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
test rode the previous years model and did not care for it at all. thanks but no thanks on the spyder.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 12/19/2011 2:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
test rode the previous years model and did not care for it at all. thanks but no thanks on the spyder.

It doesn't seem to be for everyone. I think in the video they mention it is sort of a middle step for those unsure about going all the way to a bike or maybe those with limited mobility.

Atleast you gave it a try.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/19/2011 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm really curious about the new Fox shocks. I took the crap stockers off of mine (Phantom GS) and replaced them with 2010 RT shocks/springs and put an Evo Sway bar on - it completely changed the handling. I can get pretty aggressive now without the stupid nanny kicking in! Looks like the Fox Shocks might even be a step up from that. Gonna go with much stickier tires next time 'round as well. I'm also curious as to whether they changed the fuel mapping or not. Probably not, given they stuck with the same can and most likely the same intake. These were replaced on mine also! devil I only did the sway bar on my Wife's RSS - she didn't want me touching anything else!

Have no interest in the RT - But I did test one and it is really quite comfortable. It's a bit of a pig and the range is less than ideal for a touring machine, but it does give a very good ride and provides very good storage room! 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 12/19/2011 10:18:49 PM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/19/2011 6:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
no thanks to tri-cycle for me.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/20/2011 12:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
...the sportier 2012 Spyder RS-S with its new Fox shocks.

Never mind the shocks, how about throwing a Ferrari V8 in there?

www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ferrari-engined-m3-gearbox-quad-bike-2011-12-16

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/20/2011 1:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Blasphemy! Ferrari V8 in a tricycle. Utter blasphemy. Enzo rolled in his grave Im sure of it.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/20/2011 1:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
Blasphemy! Ferrari V8 in a tricycle. Utter blasphemy. Enzo rolled in his grave Im sure of it.

Absolute Blasphemy yeah

Now if someone would put together an all wheel drive quad, with a Farrari V8 or
 American Aluminum V8  Or Japanese Aluminum V8....

Or a lighter version Quad with a Turbo Busa engine....

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/20/2011 9:01:18 PM GMT

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 12/20/2011 3:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
el SID said...

Absolute Blasphemy yeah

Might want to look in to the funky machine called the GG Quad.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 12/20/2011 5:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Its the equivalent of stuffing a buell motor in a sears tractor. Blasphemy.
LMAO

current hacks

1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/20/2011 11:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
louemc said...
el SID said...

Absolute Blasphemy yeah

Rich, the GG is a very, very cool machine! I was really impressed by it. The only thing I didn't care for is how high up you are when you sit on it. Well that and the 50K price tag! But I don't think they are legal for sale in the U.S... YET. They are working on it though.  

Lou, somebody did quad out a 'Busa. Personally I thought it looked pretty stupid.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/21/2011 10:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
Lou, somebody did quad out a 'Busa. Personally I thought it looked pretty stupid.

That's because stupid people do things....It could look trick as they come if,  If done by someone that knows what they are doing.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/21/2011 10:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/17/799/Motorcycle-Article/2007-GG-Quad-Quick-Ride.aspx

Well, interesting as the GG quad is, I think it'd compare more readily to the Spyder. Personally, I'd rather ride the Wazuma than either the Spyder or the GG...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/21/2011 10:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
louemc said...
el SID said...

Absolute Blasphemy yeah

That would certainly suit and entertain a lot of people that had the fluid funds to go that way.

I was thinking hard edged race car chassis, no compromises.  BMW twin  (or any twin) wouldn't be where I'd be going to all the work to build an open air race quality chassis.

Think more like a F1 car, and Subaru Rally car had sex, and spawned something that kicked a Quad racers ass.  Bigger than a race Quad and open (but low) seating, Not low as a F1, though.

And of course the driver would need to be insane....sane people need not apply  lol

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/21/2011 12:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd rather have one of these:

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/21/2011 2:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Right on, GAJ. That or a Lotus. Hell, I'd rather just about any convertible sports car, too. Not a fan of the three-wheeled vehicles.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/21/2011 5:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I DO NOT KNOW, but liked your choice GAJ.  Again a matter of mone FOR it is money even for the Bombarier & being Cdn one would expect a Canuck to favour something built in Canada.  YES power of the almighty dollare in darn important to me in these days of stress & that more & more taxes are comming up all the darn time.  Even to obtaiin a LP & compulsory insurance it is going to to 30% higher & NO EXTRA INCOME FOR ME.

I think I have another year or two of riding & that will be at 81+ yrs of age.  Since I own a Subaru 'Forester' I expect it to last for a number of years & it is only 6 yrs old as of to-date.

Also Lou was quite polite & yes I am more like grade 5, but then have to remember I failed in grade two to also grade seven,  

Looked at grade 10 & after a few days I went out & obtained a job at a bicycle shop turned to also British irons for $80.00 month.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/22/2011 12:39:33 AM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/23/2011 8:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree, if its on four wheels and open or exposed it might as well be a Lotus 7 or an Ariel. Anytime you have more than two wheels it just doesn't lean the right way. And that applies to a Segway also.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 12/25/2011 8:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't get into the Spyder. It's too car like, no matter what they do for an engine. Even as the author says, it attracts many Non-Nons. When I want to ride a bike, I want two wheels. If I want a car thing, it should have a roof and heat. I'm glad it's attracting non-motorcyclists but it's not attracting me.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 12/25/2011 8:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Make it 3 wheel drive,150hp, with about a foot and a half of ground clearance and it would be..... interesting. I see the appeal. If you are new and want to get acclimated
to riding, its a good way to start. Rap loves his. Got him riding,and thats the point. I think. I see a couple around here who have one. He rides a cruiser style bike,and she rides the trike.
Shes smiling and happy,and thats the point. Not my cuppa tea,maybe a turbo too.....

current hacks

1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/25/2011 1:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You would be correct, Sir SID! I honestly never thought I would make it back to two wheels, and y'all know how I came to get our two Spyders. But what started out as a kind of compromise turned out to be one helluva ride! We got the first one, the RSS, in June 2010 and my phantom one month later. I put over 17,000 miles on her before I finally got the FA in june of this year and I still ride her once a week. I think it's a hoot, and the thing sure draws a lot of attention wherever I go. Kathy loves hers. Makes for quite a pair whenever we go out together; hers is pearl white and mine is all blacked out like the Bat mobile!

Anyway, we have a lot of fun together and that's what counts. Oh, Aerocharger has developed a bolt-on turbo kit specifically for the Spyder that basically turns the thing into a beast. Others have found sources for Aprilia racing parts and have punched their 990's out to 1066CC, so there are some performance options available.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe