Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Honda CBR1000RR First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 12/19/2011 9:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does the new and improved 2012 Honda CBR1000RR have what it takes to run up front in this year’s Superbike class? Road Test Editor Adam Waheed reports from northern California.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/19/2011 10:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Too expensive. If Honda were smart,they would lower the price. The thing that gets me is the weight increase. While minimal,doesnt make sense. likev the new ten spoke shoes. New stylings okay.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/19/2011 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like Honda has chosen not to compete in terms of peak power.

I'm guessing we won't see one winning an IOM TT race.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/19/2011 12:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^Liter Super Sport Bikes with a license plate, and lights...Have ample power for the street.

When a bike is raced, the tweeks come out...what the HP was getting on the show room floor isn't what the HP is at any race. What the "test" power is, doesn't mean diddly, as a what is winning or losing at IOM.

The Racer at IOM flying the bike, is everything...McGinnis (or however he spells his name) is racing a Honda, isn't he?

This Honda is a very fine bike, And the Big Piston forks and rear shock are a real sweet feature, as a starting point.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/19/2011 7:46:30 PM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 12/19/2011 1:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Pretty much the only real difference is a better shock. Which is better compared to Honda's last offering, but not necessarily better than the competition.
Everything else is cosmetic.

So, Honda's response to its incredible competitiors is to price it the same as its competitors, but only improved the shock. Something that many would replace with a better after market unit anyway.

Way to compete Honda.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/19/2011 1:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
Does the new and improved 2012 Honda CBR1000RR

It's improved, not new.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 12/19/2011 1:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Of note cbr was fastest at the track in the superbike smack down track. and it finished 2nd in the street comparo. So it shouldnt take much to be a winner. Lower the price a couple G's and it would be the winner. Agreed improved not new. And McGuiness did win on the less powerful honda

current hacks

1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/19/2011 4:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is still a great bike. I'm scared by the engines though. I had heard a significant portion of the 08s burned oil at an alarming rate, and apparently it was fixed with some recall the following year, but some 09 and 10 owners reported oil being burned up by these bikes. I've always associated Honda with quality (I drive one), but yeesh. These bikes make me a little nervous.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/19/2011 5:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
This is still a great bike. I'm scared by the engines though. I had heard a significant portion of the 08s burned oil at an alarming rate, and apparently it was fixed with some recall the following year, but some 09 and 10 owners reported oil being burned up by these bikes. I've always associated Honda with quality (I drive one), but yeesh. These bikes make me a little nervous.
Looking at the Honda site, I can't find that recall info:

I do see one on the CBR where it was recalled for the possibility of blowing a cooling hose and spraying hot coolant on the rider, and another where it was possible to crack a fuel line and leak gas.
Maybe the oil usage was not a recall but a TSB to those who complained enough?

Oh, I also see separately Honda had what they called "product updates" which included recalling I mean updating the clutch.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Post Edited (Desmolicious) : 12/20/2011 12:43:12 AM GMT

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 12/19/2011 6:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to see the dyno curves. You can actually be much faster if you make power in a broader band. Peak HP and torque is to be taken with a grain of salt if it's confined to a small rpm range. Seen a lot of screaming Bumble Bees get trounched at Miller by Checa. My buddies ZX-10 was tuned and dialed in not for the EPA, it is qwick, dang qwick.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/20/2011 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The CBR actually makes the most useful powah out of any of the inline 4s until 10K rpm. Then a couple of the other bikes make more (the BMW much more).

But for street riding, having powah from 0-10K is much more useful than having it from 10K to 14K rpms.

I do really like the new CBR, but it just seems that yet again Honda is asking a premium just for the fact that it is a Honda. Even though it has a 'weaker' feature set than its rivals, and as seen from past issues listed above no longer can be deemed a better quality piece than its rivals.

It is a great bike. It just needs to be priced lower.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/21/2011 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since it's the same bike more or less you could always buy the old one.

And you're right, Desmo. It may not have been a true recall. I did read that new rings were put in on a number of customers' bikes. Although it helped, they reported, a lot still said way more oil than could be considered normal was turning up missing...

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/21/2011 7:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
The CBR actually makes the most useful powah out of any of the inline 4s until 10K rpm. Then a couple of the other bikes make more (the BMW much more).

But for street riding, having powah from 0-10K is much more useful than having it from 10K to 14K rpms.

I do really like the new CBR, but it just seems that yet again Honda is asking a premium just for the fact that it is a Honda. Even though it has a 'weaker' feature set than its rivals, and as seen from past issues listed above no longer can be deemed a better quality piece than its rivals.

It is a great bike. It just needs to be priced lower.
Agreed, Desmo. Out the door you are probably in the 17K price range or higher. I really like the bike, but the price is just too steep.

Since I don't have a bike of this type, I am really curious and would like some input from those of you that do. Realistically, how much of the bike's capabilities can you actually and safely use for a street application? If you track the bike, that is a whole different scenario and I get that. But for the street, does this really make sense?

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/21/2011 11:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
Out the door you are probably in the 17K price range or higher. I really like the bike, but the price is just too steep.

hope you don't pay that much but if you want to pay "17K" or higher, the dealership will be more than happy to take it. when buying a big four brand bike, you shouldn't pay more than the msrp *out the door*. the great discounts is the big advantage the big four brands have over other brands and it's what kept me from continuing to buy it. i've shopped and compared other brands to it and after each comparison, i've ended up with a big four brand bike because it offerred a better bang for the buck overall. probably another reason why big 4 brand sportbikes (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha) far outweigh the other brand sportbikes (bmw, ducati, mv agusta, aprilia, triumph) at bike show or other general bike hangout events. the big four brands' msrp have been increasing year after year and looks like it'll continue to do so but at this point, its overall value is still better when the great discounts are taken into consideration. when it's no longer better, i would pick another brand(s) that is (initial cost to ownership cost).

here's a couple of examples of the great discounts i'm referring to:

$10,999 for this brand new 2011 $13,799 zx10r:
www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-10R-98642643
and
$10,399 for this brand new 2011 $13,399 cbr1000rr:
www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-HONDA-CBR1000RR-CBR-1000-RR-98748751

here's a 2012 cbr1000rr for $12,299 and it hasn't even hit the dealerships yet. it'll be discounted even more once it hits the dealerhips (late january according to mo-usa):

www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-HONDA-CBR1000RR-101323246

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 12/22/2011 2:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I gotta say,if they discount the new Blade to 10k Im going to have to look at it. The near 5k difference to the tuono is substantial.

current hacks

1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/22/2011 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...

and

here's a 2012 cbr1000rr for $12,299 and it hasn't even hit the dealerships yet. it'll be discounted even more once it hits the dealerhips (late january according to mo-usa):

Now yer talkin, Sir! I didn't think about that. And ya know, after I wrote my previous post I started to mull it over a little and said, "dude, think about it. If it's what ya want and you can swing it financially, then why the heck not?" Who cares if these sweet machines are a little over-powered for the street. Life is too short, and for some, it's the realization of a dream. When we got our Vette it was just that; I had dreamed of having one since I was a little kid. Now I get to scratch that off my list. So go forth, get that dream machine and enjoy every mile! These are the things that make life worth living.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/22/2011 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You want a deal?
Different type of bike but the showroom anchor Honda VFR1200, was $15K, is now $10K new at lots of dealerships.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-HONDA-VFR1200F-96695318

That is an insane deal.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/22/2011 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
jon said...

and

So go forth, get that dream machine and enjoy every mile! These are the things that make life worth living.

great attitude!!! tomorrow is not guarantee for anyone, live life to the fullest. what ever machine you're itching for, just scratch it regardless if it's ducati, vette, harley, honda, bmw, etc!

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 12/22/2011 1:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

No recall on the '08 CBR up here, but Honda did extend the warranty on them (I'm assuming that it's due to the reported oil consumption thing).

The new CBR surprises me with the weight too. First reports were that it went on a diet to greatly improve the hp/weight ratio and combining that with the new, em, improved shock should have made for a far better overall package. As usual Desmo is pretty close to right on the money (pun intended)...too expensive for something that's better; just not enough better.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!