Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 12/27/2011 4:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kawasaki gives the 2012 Ninja 650 a major overhaul to provide a sportbike that's full of comfort and performance at an affordable price.

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/28/2011 12:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like they did a great job making a good bike even better!

Good job Kawasaki.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/28/2011 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
looks better than all previous generations but also gain quite a bit of weight. 460 lbs. wet for a 'mid-size' sportbike with 75HP is heavy. that's heavier than some of the current literbikes and just a bacon or two short of the z1000 and ninja 1000.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/28/2011 5:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
460 is quite a bit for a 650. After my mods my bike's weight is that (more or less), and it's the heaviest bike in its class stock. Yikes...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/15/2012 9:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My 05 ZX-10 is looking better every year  yeah

Focus the forces, Be The Force

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/15/2012 10:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lap times are a good indicator to me rather than power or weight figures. However for a pure street bike that is not really designed for the circuit and has a fairly tame engine (I've ridden several bikes with that same engine) it's not a good idea to make it heavier.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 1/16/2012 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you guys missed this.

"The biggest surprise is how well rounded it is. We were expecting this to be a beginner bike and that’s not the case at all. This motorcycle will reach a wide range of riders."

They make a snarly 600 Ninja for the peg grinding crowd. This is for the person who doesn't need a 16,000 rpm redline or pretend they're J.D. Beach.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/16/2012 11:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only problem is I've ridden their other bikes with the same engine that are lighter (including the previous Ninja 650R). It's not getting improved or reaching a wider audience by being heavier with that engine. It's not a matter of being high performance. More weight makes the bike less friendly. The other, lighter bikes Kawasaki have made with the same engine felt to me to be about as low-power as I'd want to go for a street bike. Without the extra oomph with that weight gain it will be a bit more sluggish. That said, you could probably lose the weight gain with an aftermarket exhaust.

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 1/17/2012 10:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Versys seemed to be the best platform for that engine. The ER, not so much...

'09 Concours 14 ABS