Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R First Ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 12/27/2011 4:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motorcycle USA takes a spin on the redesigned ZX-14R. This 200-horsepower Ninja takes dead aim at the Hayabusa, but does it measure up?

Read the full story here: 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R First Ride

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 12/27/2011 4:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got a green one on the way. The 14 is shear fun but this one will stay stock. I've seen dyno numbers very close to 200 hp with a Brock pipe and the flies removed. Got my engine back from the guys back east with the turbo pistons. Should make around 400+hp and still be street worthy. Many parts are made in the US, the fuel rail, turbo, extended arm, brake lines, etc, etc. Would it be a Victorsaki or a Harleywackey? I could have bought a nice Kingpin or a glide with the money invested.

Can't wait, not getting younger. I can apply for SS now but need the machine shop for adventure toys.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/27/2011 7:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like it has raised the bar again. And look at that, they made it a little less ugly!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/27/2011 7:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I LLLLLLLIKE it!! lol  I'm still very impressed by the seating position; it actually looks quite comfortable. Way too much bike for me but I bet it's a heck of a ride!

ZX, you gotta be gettin excited man. When does the Eagle land?

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 12/28/2011 5:58:34 AM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/27/2011 8:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
here's a video ricky gadson did (zx14 vs zx14r) with some great numbers (low 9's to 8.99 sec in the 1/4 mile):

Post Edited (jon) : 12/28/2011 3:44:11 AM GMT

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/28/2011 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It only seems like yesterday that the Triumph Bonneville was the bad boy on the street. Although Vincents were the ultimate, no dealers were in sight and very pricey. What scares me is that Zook will lay a 14R slayer just after dropping 15 large. Anyone here know if a new Busa is in the pike?

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/28/2011 10:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
What scares me is that Zook will lay a 14R slayer just after dropping 15 large. Anyone here know if a new Busa is in the pike?

if that's your concern, don't buy either because one will outclass the other every couple of years. not sure how far along the next busa is but it'll topple the current zx14r, then kawasaki will come back with the latest and greatest and be on top again, then zook...., then kaw....

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/29/2011 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
It only seems like yesterday that the Triumph Bonneville was the bad boy on the street. Although Vincents were the ultimate, no dealers were in sight and very pricey. What scares me is that Zook will lay a 14R slayer just after dropping 15 large. Anyone here know if a new Busa is in the pike?

Your confusing me...do you actually have second thoughts, that the ZX-14R won't have enough Power Performance on the public road?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/29/2011 5:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm far from brand loyal. If the numbers are there, than that is my bike. Would love to get away from turbochargers and the monoblock engine. The busa has some pretty big advantages. You can replace pistons easier because of the cyclinder block being seperate from the engine case. On the 14 you must split the cases, replace the bearings and rod bolts, gaskets, o-rings plus all that extra labor envolved.

Like your ZX-10 the 14 has far more power than needed for public roads. For the last three years I have got used to having 40 more HP and 35 more foot lbs of torque than the new 14R. Your power to weight is very close to what I have now. Your not the pot calling the kettle black are you?:p  

louemc said...
ZX Rider said...

Your confusing me...do you actually have second thoughts, that the ZX-14R won't have enough Power Performance on the public road?

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/30/2011 10:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...

I'm far from brand loyal. If the numbers are there, than that is my bike. Would love to get away from turbochargers and the monoblock engine. The busa has some pretty big advantages. You can replace pistons easier because of the cyclinder block being seperate from the engine case. On the 14 you must split the cases, replace the bearings and rod bolts, gaskets, o-rings plus all that extra labor envolved.

Like your ZX-10 the 14 has far more power than needed for public roads. For the last three years I have got used to having 40 more HP and 35 more foot lbs of torque than the new 14R. Your power to weight is very close to what I have now. Your not the pot calling the kettle black are you?:p  

louemc said...
ZX Rider said...

Not calling anyone, anything...Just was baffled by what sounded like a worry that the next Busa would out perform a ZX-14R on a drag strip, and someone riding a ZX-14R on the public road...would feel that they bought the runt of the class bike...by mistake, because someone somewhere else, and in competition no less....got a quicker time.
And..a concern about labor hours for an engine tear down, on a public road use Japanese bike?
Just baffles more, because I've never opened a GIXXR or ZX-10, or Honda of any size engine...And I don't know anyone else that has had their public road use inline four opened either.
Oh another thing almost slipped my mind...You got caught in a pouring down rain, with your turbo'd bike...Warped the head...
Umm..The air inlet on that bike is what?  Maybe 10 inches off the pavement? And Back from the front tires contact patch, splashing and spraying water up, to that very spot of intake into the Turbo.
I got caught under a Storm cell in the upper Sierra Range, with my ZX-10 and Ram Air inlet...And the Rain dump was so extreme the road disappered at times.  The lighning flashes helped define the road, because of the flat surface reflecting light being different than the ditch or embankment or drop off area.
The water entering the Ram Air Inlet..never effected the engine, not a trace of a change.
The problem You had, was 100% because of the what you had done to your bike, for Drag Racing reasons...Leave this new bike alone...and you will be problem free.
The Harley FXR and the Buell got total tear downs, because of factory recall repairs, though.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/31/2011 7:14:52 PM GMT

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 12/31/2011 4:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

99% of these bikes are only ever going to have valve adjustments, and maybe clutches done to them. The racers will do their tear-down while the spare engine is in the bike, and the next backup mill is on the shelf. yeah

This new zx could be the one that gets me out my c14, as I could actually get by without the hard bags...

This is my opinion. There may be others like it, but this one's mine until further notice.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/31/2011 10:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
5 inches ground clearance through 10" deep puddles, a natural born water pump. Surprised I made it another 300 miles home. The new 14 will be stock, quiet, with a bit of grunt. KISS, keep it simple stupid! Dead reliable is the norm for the Kwak. 
louemc said...
ZX Rider said...

louemc said...
ZX Rider said...

Not calling anyone, anything...Just was baffled by what sounded like a worry that the next Busa would out perform a ZX-14R on a drag strip, and someone riding a ZX-14R on the public road...would feel that they bought the runt of the class bike...by mistake, because someone somewhere else, and in competition no less....got a quicker time.
And..a concern about labor hours for an engine tear down, on a public road use Japanese bike?
Just baffles more, because I've never opened a GIXXR or ZX-10, or Honda of any size engine...And I don't know anyone else that has had their public road use inline four opened either.
Oh another thing almost slipped my mind...You got caught in a pouring down rain, with your turbo'd bike...Warped the head...
Umm..The air inlet on that bike is what?  Maybe 10 inches off the pavement? And Back from the front tires contact patch, splashing and spraying water up, to that very spot of intake into the Turbo.
I got caught under a Storm cell in the upper Sierra Range, with my ZX-10 and Ram Air inlet...And the Rain dump was so extreme the road disappered at times.  The lighning flashes helped define the road, because of the flat surface reflecting light being different than the ditch or embankment or drop off area.
The water entering the Ram Air Inlet..never effected the engine, not a trace of a change.
The problem You had, was 100% because of the what you had done to your bike, for Drag Racing reasons...Leave this new bike alone...and you will be problem free.
The Harley FXR and the Buell got total tear downs, because of factory recall repairs, though.