Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Racing > "A Twist of the Wrist II"  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 85

Posted 11/15/2011 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guys/gals…just watched Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist II" DVD based on Keith Code's book. The video while overly cheesy was pretty useful I thought. I was wondering if anyone has read the book? SOAP if you read this…is this the guy that does the CSB school that you went to? If so it looks awesome. I'm definitely going to have to look into it.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
twist-of-the-wrist-2-dvd.jpg
  79KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 500 time(s).

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/15/2011 8:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ: Hey buddy…so this DVD was really helpful like I was saying. Well, I think it'll be helpful. As cheesy as those guys in this DVD are its the exact thoughts I think of esp when I rode with SOAP. Now I think I at least understand a lot of it. Now its a matter of making it work. I love how these guys dive these bikes into the corners. Its awesome.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/16/2011 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep! Keith Code is the founder of California Superbike School. It's not a cheesy school, so no worries there. The closest track to here they run it is NJMP - Thunderbolt, which is a hair under three hours from here in Millville, NJ. Definitely worth a go! Mine as well fork over the extra couple hundred and use the BMW S1000RR (unless you can get your bike there...then you'll at least get to learn your own bike better). There are four "levels" each focusing on different rider skills. Highly recommended. You can rent leathers if needed.

This was from my last time there (they only took pictures in the morning, so no body position training or knee down action I'm afraid)

I'm the one in front.

Funny to compare another morning photo that is similar angle to one taken of me on the R1 at Summit Point.

Subtle body position differences but they matter! The rider coaches at CSS are all very helpful in my experience and they provide qualified, quality, individual instruction.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/16/2011 6:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thats awesome. Yeah I'm definitely going to look into it. I may be over zealous but Ive watched the video twice already and ordered the book. But the true way is to go to the school. The pics are sweet.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/16/2011 6:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SOAP did you got to the 2day camp or the 1 day instructional?

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/16/2011 9:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went for the 1 day class twice (once this year, once last year). The camp provides a lot more. Considerably less people, much more track time. 2:1 student/teacher ratio (I usually had 2 or 3 others with my coach...which was fine and still felt like I was getting excellent, targeted tips/instruction). It's really all the crap you can imagine. Check out their site and the curriculum section. I still loved my 1 day courses. The camp is pricey, but I'm sure it's worth it. Since I have done 1 and 2 I think after a season or two of tracking the R1 I will do the camp.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 8:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't wait man. I'm definitely going to try and go next season as soon as they release 2012 dates I am all in for the 1 day to start and then i'll go from there. Looks awesome. Instructors seem great and the fact that everything is included either way just makes it so easy. So stoked. Now I just have to get thru the winter!! Haha…Good thing my FASTEST DVD is enroute…that'll keep me busy for a few days!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/17/2011 12:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like you're on the right track Chap.

I took the same school but 20 years ago...3 times in 2 years, one of the best learning experiences I had as a newish rider back then.

I think I actually rode more cautiously on the road as a result; the goal is not to turn you into a squid on the road but to teach you just how modern motorcycles are capable of cornering and braking far beyond what you might imagine just from street riding.

In an emergency you can put those skills into play on the street perhaps saving your bacon.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/17/2011 12:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Sounds like you're on the right track Chap.

I think I actually rode more cautiously on the road as a result; the goal is not to turn you into a squid on the road but to teach you just how modern motorcycles are capable of cornering and braking far beyond what you might imagine just from street riding.

In an emergency you can put those skills into play on the street perhaps saving your bacon.

I did not take this school but a racing school, so the street experience is the same - safer, just like GAJ here.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/17/2011 4:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Funny you mention the slow part, GAJ. I'm not sure that I go slower now after the two levels and a track day. In some areas on certain roads I certainly slow down more now. The road certainly looks different (and demands to be ridden differently).

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/17/2011 4:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Before the course I would often ride at 120+ on long straight roads with great visibility for short periods...rarely hit triple digits after the course.

I'm even slower now in areas of limited visibility because I now strictly follow the "if you can't see 4 seconds ahead, slow down" rule.

Has slowed me tremendously on blind rights, for sure.

But where visibility is good and the corners are relatively open, I'm guessing I ride a wee bit faster there.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 11/17/2011 5:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think your points about going slower on the straights after acquiring skills and knowledge are dead on.

At the risk of seeming a bit like Nick's cheerleading section, I think the best article on fast street riding, as opposed to track riding, was "The Pace" which can be found here - worth reading twice through.

www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/index.html

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/17/2011 7:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ahh the pace,great great wisdom for the road rider.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 7:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Racer1 that's your buddy that wrote that book correct? I finished it up again this week for the second time. Amazing when you actually take in information how much you can learn. Haha.

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/18/2011 6:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ChapR6s said...
Racer1 that's your buddy that wrote that book correct? I finished it up again this week for the second time. Amazing when you actually take in information how much you can learn. Haha.

Yep - Nick wrote The Pace a LONG time ago and its stayed relevant (although it's the polar opposite to the standard sport bike squid riding).

If you read his book (and practice the drills), and apply his comments in The Pace to your road riding, you'll be around to enjoy the sport for a long time.

One point that's maybe not 100% clear from reading the article... Riding at his pace - smooth inputs, no trail braking into corners and no full throttle corner exits - Nick is still hustling through the curves faster, smoother and safer than 90% of sport riders who are diving into corners on the brakes and grabbing a fistful on the exits... technique is king here and it takes time and commitment to get to that level.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/18/2011 6:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yeah no doubt. Nick's book really was a great read and the drills are dead on. Now that I've read that twice, seen "a twist of the wrist 2" and have that book on the way, then CSS next spring and following SOAPSTER to a track day early next yr I hope next season I see the biggest gains in my short motorcycling career. I really hope I can stay up with the attention to detail and use all the knowledge that I'm learning and actually apply it. I told SOAP I generally learn pretty quick but the bike thing to me is similar to golf in that, to go out and just ride the bike around is easy similarly the same with smacking a ball down the course. But to go from having the skill just to do it to becoming good or truly proficient is another beast and requires a lot of practic/patience and instruction.

Golf didn't work out too well, I got frustrated to the point I barely want to look at clubs and I was shooting low-mid 80s but it just wore me out. Hopefully the bike thing goes in a different direction.

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/18/2011 7:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ChapR6s said...
Oh yeah no doubt. Nick's book really was a great read and the drills are dead on. Now that I've read that twice, seen "a twist of the wrist 2" and have that book on the way, then CSS next spring and following SOAPSTER to a track day early next yr I hope next season I see the biggest gains in my short motorcycling career. I really hope I can stay up with the attention to detail and use all the knowledge that I'm learning and actually apply it. I told SOAP I generally learn pretty quick but the bike thing to me is similar to golf in that, to go out and just ride the bike around is easy similarly the same with smacking a ball down the course. But to go from having the skill just to do it to becoming good or truly proficient is another beast and requires a lot of practic/patience and instruction.

Golf didn't work out too well, I got frustrated to the point I barely want to look at clubs and I was shooting low-mid 80s but it just wore me out. Hopefully the bike thing goes in a different direction.

Like golf (or anything else for that matter) you'll have days where you feel sublime and can do no wrong, and other days where you feel like a rank amateur and nothing gels, everything just feels wrong. Just accept that and listen to what your brain is telling you! The biggest mistake you can make when you're having an "off" day is to try and push through it, adding speed, trying to hit your marks as if you were on a "good" day and hoping you'll push through the barrier and suddenly find your groove. You will end up on your ass. The penalty for failure is higher than golf, so take it easy and don't push it!

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/18/2011 7:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haha, thanks. While the consequences are much higher in motorcycling I know the differences and the risks. Just ask SOAP, he SMOKED me, haha, but I just rode at my own pace. I'm 100% confident in that I am in the learning stage and want to soak up everything my minute brain and soak up.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/18/2011 7:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe golf is a bad analogy, haha.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/18/2011 7:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I may, in racers comments,a well ridden anything,will beat,and be safer, than a top notch anything with a bad/poorly trained rider.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/18/2011 10:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Indeed, SID. Which is why 99% of the guys who go and get the 1199 will still fail to beat me on track!!!! :) lol

And Chap, like we had talked about, it's good when you feel comfortable to push yourself incrementally. Never to push yourself seriously. The riding that day was much more restrained for me and I'd say I rarely pushed past 50%. I'd say generally I don't push past 70% on the street...usually a bit lower. It all depends on the corner. Like GAJ, I've stopped doing as many triple digit runs. I never maintained triple digits for minutes, it's always been a few seconds. Maintaining is not really much fun to me, but getting there is!

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 11/19/2011 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didi read both 1 & 2 and I can tell you I cut 1 second of my time just by realizing I had many "aha!" moments that I could have repeated. Topics on attention, where to look, how to trail brake where crucial to my current racing form.

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle