Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Racing > MV Augusta to race at IOM TT  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/1/2011 3:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Iconic MV Agusta name to make Isle of Man TT return in 2012
The MV Agusta
enlarge

The legendary MV Agusta name will return to the Isle of Man TT in 2012, campaigned by the World Performance Racing team.

Family-run business WPR, based in Chesterfield, will be taking the new MV Agusta F3 and F4 machines to the TT, in association with Chorley-based Moto GB.

The iconic Italian make won 34 TT races and took 61 podiums between 1952 and 1972. The first race win came in the 1952 Ultra-Lightweight race, with Cecil Sandford riding, while the last was the 1972 Senior, won by Giacomo Agostini.

Ago is the most successful MV Agusta rider at the TT, with 10 wins, but some of the greatest names in the event’s history have also raced on MVs, including John Surtees (6 wins), Carlo Ubbiali (5 wins), Mike Hailwood (4 wins) and Tarquinio Provini (3 wins).

Gary Hocking took two wins, while John Hartle, Bill Lomas, Les Graham and, of course, Sandford also stood on the top step.

The late Martin Finnegan was the last high profile rider to campaign an MV Agusta at the TT, finishing 4th in the 2007 Superstock TT race, lapping at 125.685mph.

World Performance Racing Team Boss Neil Haslam said:

“World Performance Racing represents a passion for motorcycle racing and the desire to bring MV Agusta, the iconic motorcycle brand with a unique heritage, to the celebrated Isle of Man TT races in 2012.”

“We aim to restore MV Agusta back to winning ways and ensure that the 2012 TT will be another chapter in this great Italian’s brand’s history.”

TT and Motorsport Development Manager Paul Phillips added:

“MV Agusta is one of the truly iconic names in the TT’s history and I’m sure many fans will be eager to see the much anticipated return of a factory supported outfit.”

“I’m really pleased that we will see yet another factory backed outfit at next year’s TT and it is further confirmation of the event’s growing strength and appeal.”

Ok here we go the new trip gets a road workout. Should be interesting to see how they fare. There was a time when it was the biggest bully on the course.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Racer1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 12/1/2011 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is great news - the more manufacturers involved the better and to have MV return to the island is actually quite a moving thought.

A parade lap by Agostini would be an astonishingly touching and emotional event (and may be the right excuse to get me back as a spectator).

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/1/2011 8:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's way cool!

Somewhere I have a picture of my lady and Ago - I kept my lady ...

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/3/2011 10:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/4/2011 5:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dont you mean your lady kept you RD? lol

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/4/2011 8:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He he, you got that right!

But we used to ride to several GPs in the 80s and we met Ago on some occasions. I mean shook his
throttle/blipping hand and short chat. He has good memory and nice fellow.

MV is a great brand.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!