Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Racing > CRT bikes.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/28/2011 2:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did anyone catch Frank Melling's article on CRT bikes in the newsletter? He reckons that the difference between Stoner and the slowest bike on the grid could be as much as nine seconds a lap! That's ridiculous, nine seconds is a bus ride. What a farce!
He also noted that he could have turned up at Philip Island on his old G50 and got five points just for finishing. I could have got four points on my Suzuki 90 in that case, I would have had time for six or seven laps maybe. What a laugh!

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/28/2011 10:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ditto that, Richard!

Besides watching Fastest, I read up a lot on the Moto GP last seasons, quite interesting. One was an interview with good old Mick Doohan and how he predicts another lousy season for Rossi based upon 10 years max 100% focus, and how Stoner may just be
the fastest racer out there - and - that he'll have at least another 5 years of top racing with 100% focus left - enough to beat Rossi's
total performance (!). He also base his predictions on how Rossi deal with the pasta burner compared to Stoner. Stoner rides the crap out of any mochine he sits on, maximizes. Doohan feels that Stoner is the toughest racer out there - and he may well be.

This was all from AMA Soup. They have these 10 most important events in 2011 Moto GP. One of them was this discussion between Rossi and Stoner right after Rossi went above his abilities and wiped out Stoner ... I loved Stoner's reaction in the aftermath, shortly after the race when Rossi came over to apologize. Stoner was cool as ... cold stone.

Nice stories.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 12/28/2011 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The article if anyone wanted to check it out:

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 12/28/2011 4:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has the potential to be a total cluster f**k... We are accustomed to having split races in most series (factory / satellite teams, etc.) but in most series being lapped is an extremely rare event and the regulations try to minimize this by having % cut offs from pole position.

It seems to me that in the rush to expand grids, commonsense has flown out the window... if the CRT teams involvement adversely affects the results of the top six riders due to lapped riders on the racing line, etc. I can see some serious problem far worse than Stoner throwing his teddy out of the pits (that will happen regardless of CRT teams involvement).

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/28/2011 5:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And only Honda, Yamaha and Ducati will be present next year.

Hopefully we don't get a clean Honda Cup, though that would show better which rider is the best one. Kawasaki is way gone and
now Suzuki. BMW was expected, but no. Norton was rumored, and that was all about their presence.

I see another Stoner year coming.

RedDog

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2011 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
And only Honda, Yamaha and Ducati will be present next year.

Hopefully we don't get a clean Honda Cup, though that would show better which rider is the best one. Kawasaki is way gone and
now Suzuki. BMW was expected, but no. Norton was rumored, and that was all about their presence.

I see another Stoner year coming.

I'm no Stoner fan, but he clearly is the King of this era - the four stroke, electronically managed era. He has a synergy with these bikes and seems a step above the rest of the field.

Comparisons to Rossi's career though seem a little simplistic. Rossi won World Championships in 125cc 2-stroke GP, 250cc 2-stroke GP, 500cc 2-stroke GP, 990cc 4-stroke MotoGP (Honda and Yamaha) and 800cc 4-stroke MotoGP. This is a record of World Championships in five different series, multiple manufacturers and very different riding styles.

Stoner has two 800cc MotoGP titles.

The electronic age has swayed the bike / rider towards the bike and reduced to a certain extent the rider's influence in the equation. I will never forget the sight of Stoner storming back to the pits after a high side in practice screaming that the traction control should have caught it. This is a different era, and Stoner is indeed currently atop the pile, however I simply don't see his record approaching that of Rossi.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/29/2011 1:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You may well be right, but Doohan seems to strongly feel that Stoner can.

RedDog

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/29/2011 3:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ummm wheres Ol' Mick from exactly??? oh yeah Austrailia. Look, Stoners a talent. We all know it. However,Hes on a Honda so, right now. Thats job done. Good formula that they have. Rolling chicanes have no business here. WSBK seems to be the new hotness in the form of competition, and various ideas of the formula. V Twins,V 4s,I4s,cross plane crank....oops. Thats right, yamaha bailed didnt they.
9 seconds a lap, credibility shrinking.....

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2011 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
You may well be right, but Doohan seems to strongly feel that Stoner can.

I'm not sure what Doohan is really talking about - we can't go back in time and have Stoner winning a championship on a 2-stroke of any size - let alone 125cc, 250cc AND 500cc - (he had his chance and didn't do it).

If Doohan means that Stoner can win seven more World Championships to equal Rossi's nine, then maybe by 2018 we'll know - by 2019 he may surpass Rossi with ten Championships but they'll all be on 4-stroke, electronically managed bikes and he won't have the diversity of series that Rossi has.

I love Doohan, but in this case, he's cheerleading for a fellow Aussie and I don't think even he knows exactly what he means by that statement.

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 1/4/2012 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the CRT's has good potential, we are only judging because a few random appearances here and there, we need to give them time to set up and some good , credible riders, as of now, sanz from CE and RDP the rest are question marks

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 1/4/2012 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
read the article but he is juding the "9 seconds a lap" from an unknown rider in a shakedown test of a developing bike. mid season the crt's should be within 3-5 seconds and it will get even better. Still, the 107% rule will be in effect so CRTs better get sorted out quickly or you wont race!

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

Post Edited (luiggispeed) : 1/4/2012 9:57:22 PM GMT