Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Around the Campfire > How'd you come up with your screen name?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
45 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Budoka
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 11/2/2009 1:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Saw this on another forum I belong to. Similar to the what do you do thread, but it's how you came up with your screen name or user name?
As a long time practioner/instructor in martial arts, I chose budoka since the word budo means warrior way in Japanese, and ka means student or pupil, so budoka means 'student of the way of the warrior'. I've been involved with m/a almost as long as I've been riding. My studies include Judo, Karate, Kendo, Iaido, and traditional weapons, and have been instructing for 20 years. It helps me stay fit, and keeps the mind sharp (well as sharp as I'm ever gonna be anyway lol).:-)

Same road, same wind in your face!

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/2/2009 1:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not as creative as you; simply my initials.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/2/2009 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Was assigned to the Signal Corps way back in the 50s when the Brit Princess & Duke (now Queen Mother while ex-husband is planning on or has a new wife--really I could care less about royality) were travelling through all of Canada & I was this Dispatch Rider, but never used thankfully.

In talking with wireless operators they said keep your HANDLE simple  & easy to remember.  So Smitty was what all the school kids to some friends called me while in the m/c shop with so many Brits it was "Smythe what in the 'ell did you do here?".  So I picked the more simple one.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 11/3/2009 8:50:02 PM GMT

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 11/2/2009 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Budoka said...
Saw this on another forum I belong to. Similar to the what do you do thread, but it's how you came up with your screen name or user name?
As a long time practioner/instructor in martial arts, I chose budoka since the word budo means warrior way in Japanese, and ka means student or pupil, so budoka means 'student of the way of the warrior'. I've been involved with m/a almost as long as I've been riding. My studies include Judo, Karate, Kendo, Iaido, and traditional weapons, and have been instructing for 20 years. It helps me stay fit, and keeps the mind sharp (well as sharp as I'm ever gonna be anyway lol).:-)

Remind me not to sneak up behind you and say, "Boo!"... lol

My wife loves Teddy bears and with my name being Edward, what else could I do...? I'm her biggest and cuddliest bear...smilewinkgrin

My job is so secret if I ever find out what I'm doing I have to kill myself...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/2/2009 5:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
God gave it to me. It involves a burning bush, parting traffic, a voice out of the clouds (or a cops bull horn), the whole nine yards. lol

Focus the forces, Be The Force

VillageIdiot
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 40

Posted 11/2/2009 6:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Years ago I was leaving on a camping trip with a friend. It was in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and we were heading into the middle of it. My mom said "if you're leaving in this weather you must be the village idiot". I've been using variations ever since.

The VillageIdiot

Cerebus
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 240

Posted 11/2/2009 8:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, I played way to much Dungeons and Dragons in college and became well versed in Greek Mithology.  My name is actually after Cerberus which, in Greek mithology, is the 3 headed dog which guards the gates of Hell.

My user name is actually Cerebus ( I know is a small difference but I like the way it sounds better ).  Why this name you ask?  Well I wanted to name my black lab this 12 yrs. ago but my wife wouldn't let me when I told her what it meant.  I ended up naming him Osiris.  Egyptian god.  Also in the title of an Iron Maiden song ( If you rocked out in the 80's you know what I'm talking about )

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/2/2009 9:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My name has a horribly stupid origin. Back in high school when I had plenty of free time, I played a lot of computer games. When I started playing online more with my neighbor, we both decided to think up names for each other. We were in the kitchen. He became Mug (after an actual mug), and I became SoAP (after some soap). Yeah, kind of stupid.

The full title is a suggestion by a friend I talked to over IRC when picking a domain name. Therefore, thesoapster was born out of my random stupid pick and a suggestion from a friend over the internet.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 11/2/2009 10:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I used mine as on an online poker site first. As in the saying, "leave well enough alone."

If I took a lot of chips from a player someone would often type in the chat box, "That will teach you to leave Well Enuff alone," or some variation thereof.

I used it on here because I was too lazy to think of another.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 11/2/2009 10:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy sounded better than Kwak rider.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/2/2009 10:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First few letters of my last name; it's been a nickname of mine since I was 12.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have". - Thomas Jefferson

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 11/3/2009 1:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tros said...
First few letters of my last name; it's been a nickname of mine since I was 12.

A lot better than..........Kansas lol (Just Kidding!)

I don't remember where Treefort(13) came from anymore, though if one feels so inclined, they are free to search all of the 10 or so threads I've started here since I've been a member, one of them answers it. ...Da*n, can't believe I've forgotten.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 11/3/2009 3:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
God gave it to me. It involves a burning bush, parting traffic, a voice out of the clouds (or a cops bull horn), the whole nine yards. lol

Oh Lou, almost always good for a chuckle. lol

Me, I'm a lover of Alaska and I'm Ducatisti.

Mark H.

My Ride Reports

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/3/2009 10:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I ever change my user name, I will try to come up with Alaska something, since that's where I started at, for me.

Would... AK Kwac Attack... be too long?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/3/2009 11:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cerebus said...
Cerberus which, in Greek mythology, is the 3 headed dog which guards the gates of Hell.

Sold my company to Cerberus.

My ex employees tell me that company is well named based on the treatment they receive, unfortunately.

kamo
1100 Honda saber

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 11/3/2009 6:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had several Kawasaki in a row the last a Nomad 04. So I took ka and mo for M/C.

Kamo 07 1100 Honda Saber Candy Black Cherry. East Alabama If you need a smile, just turn the key and ride!

Crashman
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 158

Posted 11/3/2009 6:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nickname from my MX days and my painful yet entertaining "win it or bin it" riding style.
I am alot older, alot slower and alot more cautious now but the name still sticks with me....

Growing older, not up.

iman501
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1022

Posted 11/4/2009 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
when i was really little (probably like 7 or 8 or so) i'd play with all the neighbor kids all the time, and one of my little friends mom would always call me iman, and my old adress was 501, so 1+1=iman501, and its been pretty much my online name ever since!

bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 11/6/2009 1:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1+1=501?

Do tell....I'm confused. lol

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

iman501
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1022

Posted 11/6/2009 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
no, i just meant that the neighbor calling me "iman" plus the fact that my old adress was 501, ended up giving me my username "iman501"

bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory

ghunt81
Finally cruisin'

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 517

Posted 11/6/2009 10:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mine's a real toughie :-) First initial, last name, year of birth.

'08 V-star 1100 Midnight Custom
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'94 Ford F250 4x4 diesel
'78 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin-sold
Morgantown, WV- Home of the Mountaineers!

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 11/6/2009 11:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
T'was many moons ago, at the "Cozy Inn", a bar near Little Creek Amphibously Naval Station in Norfolk VA. I was a cute young sailor - she was an older lady. Time is kind to some of us, but it had not been kind to her. I was first repulsed, then intoxicated, then intrigued. As the draft PBR flowed, I became more interested. Fortunately (or unfortunately,,, who knows! The heart wants what it wants),,, fortunately a cadre of my naval compatriots carried me to the bed of a nearby pickup truck and hauled my inebriated a$$ back to the ship - effectively cancelling my night with Wendy.

Wendy Witch,,,

Some things you don't live down.

Proving the skeptics right since 1967.

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 11/8/2009 8:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
iman501 said...
no, i just meant that the neighbor calling me "iman" plus the fact that my old adress was 501, ended up giving me my username "iman501"

Ahhhh....makes sense.

Jimmy Carter

OhioSteve
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 876

Posted 11/29/2009 4:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I participate in forums focusing on several different topics, and I use the same name on all of them.  Obviously I live in Ohio and my first name is Steve.

I am the foremost expert on my opinion.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 11/29/2009 8:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ rhymes with Kathmandu. At work I am the Computer Aided Drafting & Design MANager & my initial is Q, so CADD MANN Q.

The extra "N" is just for symmetry.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com