Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Around the Campfire > Coming Soon: MCUSA Forum Upgrade  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
65 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 4/25/2011 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey folks,

Wanted to give you folks a heads up that some new forum software for us is on the way. It's still a little ways out but it is a reality. We should hopefully have all the new features we've been looking for with the same functionality of the exsisting forum.

Here are some screen shots of what things are looking like forwarded to me from our tech department.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 4/25/2011 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good news, Rich. Will the half-million old messages be archived and available? Please say "yes."

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/25/2011 2:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Enuff said...
Good news, Rich. Will the half-million old messages be archived and available? Please say "yes."
To my knowledge everything will be locked but should still be available for users to access.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 4/25/2011 3:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you saying that to continue a discussion of an "old" thread that it will have to be restarted on the new s/w? That's OK, just a little inconvenient.

Can you describe the software that you will be using? I'd like to find another forum that uses it so I can familiarize myself w/ some of the features. Thanx.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 4/25/2011 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So,so no more reasons to buy a harley? Im devastated lol looks good rich. Will it be able to destroy spammers in a single keystroke?

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/25/2011 3:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Enuff said...
Are you saying that to continue a discussion of an "old" thread that it will have to be restarted on the new s/w? That's OK, just a little inconvenient.

Can you describe the software that you will be using? I'd like to find another forum that uses it so I can familiarize myself w/ some of the features. Thanx.
To my knowledge they weren't able to transfer over the old stuff to the new database since its different software and to get the new updated features we wanted we had to abandon it. I'll look in to what maybe be open in the way of transfering over stuff.
The software we're using was coded in house. This was done so if there are any problems or any features we need in the future we can just add them as needed. This will prevent us from having to rely on other companies to make updates or keep their software up to date.
el SID said...
So,so no more reasons to buy a harley? Im devastated lol looks good rich. Will it be able to destroy spammers in a single keystroke?

We've made sure to put measures in place to stop / hinder spammers ability to post. We'll have post requirements on posting links and a timer for users under a set number of posts so they'll have to wait inbetween posts.  This hopefully will frustrate spammers enough to not come back. Requiring registration on the site alone has decreased the number of spam posts significantly so this added measure should stop a majority of the ones that target forums.

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 4/25/2011 3:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...

We've made sure to put measures in place to stop / hinder spammers ability to post. We'll have post requirements on posting links and a timer for users under a set number of posts so they'll have to wait inbetween posts.  This hopefully will frustrate spammers enough to not come back. Requiring registration on the site alone has decreased the number of spam posts significantly so this added measure should stop a majority of the ones that target forums.
Back on 5/29/2009 Well Enuff said in MCUSA Site/Forum Questions & Suggestions ...
I would suggest to the sysops that the Anti-spam timer for users w/ less than 20 posts be set to 600 seconds or more. That way they will get bored before they can multi-post all their repetitive junk.

I do appreciate the quick pruning you do of the ones that get thru. Thanx.
Rich, I always had faith that my suggestions were not being ignored. Gold Star to you!

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/25/2011 3:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Enuff said...
Rich_S said...

Back on 5/29/2009 Well Enuff said in MCUSA Site/Forum Questions & Suggestions ...
I would suggest to the sysops that the Anti-spam timer for users w/ less than 20 posts be set to 600 seconds or more. That way they will get bored before they can multi-post all their repetitive junk.

I do appreciate the quick pruning you do of the ones that get thru. Thanx.
Rich, I always had faith that my suggestions were not being ignored. Gold Star to you!
We have that feature in the current software but its a global change with no option for a specific number of posts.

The main issue has been some one pushing for an update for the forum.

At this time we aren't disclosing the number of post required for certain objectives so spammers aren't setting up to get though our defences.

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 112

Posted 4/25/2011 3:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Right on. *thumbs up*

"When the people lead, the leaders will follow." - Gandhi

kamo
1100 Honda saber

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 4/26/2011 7:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
how about user name ,password etc . Wil we have to start over too ?

Kamo 07 1100 Honda Saber Candy Black Cherry. East Alabama If you need a smile, just turn the key and ride!

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 4/26/2011 8:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Starting over would be OK, Kamo. You'd be even w/ Smitty on your post count!

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/26/2011 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
kamo said...

Unfortunately that can't be transfered over. The login system is based on Motorcycle USA's MyMoto; so by creating an account there you'll have an account for the forum.

This should put everyone on the same page post count wise. :p

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 4/26/2011 11:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
kamo said...

Unfortunately that can't be transfered over. The login system is based on Motorcycle USA's MyMoto; so by creating an account there you'll have an account for the forum.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/MyMotoUSA/login.aspx

What you're saying is if we sign up at the site you provided above, we'll be ready to log into the new forum when it becomes active using the name we signed up with?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/26/2011 11:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meanie_Intruder said...
Rich_S said...
kamo said...

Unfortunately that can't be transfered over. The login system is based on Motorcycle USA's MyMoto; so by creating an account there you'll have an account for the forum.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/MyMotoUSA/login.aspx

What you're saying is if we sign up at the site you provided above, we'll be ready to log into the new forum when it becomes active using the name we signed up with?

Yep. We can't sign up for you. Got to do that on your own.

Its kind of nice since we've integrated it with our comment system on MotoUSA so you'll be able to use the same account for commenting on our site and fantasy racing if you want.

Makes things a bit more convinent so you don't have to manage a bunch of logins and passwords. smile

The forum still seems to be a little ways out as the tech team is still working on a few bugs and features.  Doesn't hurt to get your account set up now so you can login and start posting.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 4/26/2011 2:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, so maybe I'm blind, but set up the account where? DId I miss something new flashing at me for where to sign up?

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 4/26/2011 3:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Budoka said...
Ok, so maybe I'm blind, but set up the account where? DId I miss something new flashing at me for where to sign up?

Only in all THREE posts that preceeded yours !!! smilewinkgrin

Post Edited (Easy Rider 2) : 4/27/2011 3:31:33 AM GMT

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/26/2011 3:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Budoka said...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/MyMotoUSA/register.aspx

Should have just directed people there in the first place. :p

For those looking to get their forum name set up, when you create your mymoto account click the "My Profile" from the menu bar and then on your profile page scroll down on the left and look for "Edit About Me". That will popup a menu where it says "Display name". That will be the name that will be displayed on the forum.  It will not show up when you post a comment on the mcusa site.

As for your forum avatar the MyMoto profile picture will be scaled down to be your avatar photo on the forum.

Post Edited (Rich_S) : 4/26/2011 11:00:36 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 4/27/2011 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good stuff. There's been some years since last update back in 2003 (?). Then all the BS we had said disappeared, even our account number.

Would be sweet, like WE says, to have access to the old threads. Then again, we're so full of it that I bet we can cope without.
Images has been limited, any change? Videos?

I don't have any complaints about the old site except that some few times it does not come up, just a bunch of codes.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 4/27/2011 1:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Easy, told you I was blind; sorry Rich, my computer blindness reared it's ugly head. I'madufusslol

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/27/2011 5:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
Good stuff. There's been some years since last update back in 2003 (?). Then all the BS we had said disappeared, even our account number.

Would be sweet, like WE says, to have access to the old threads. Then again, we're so full of it that I bet we can cope without.
Images has been limited, any change? Videos?

I don't have any complaints about the old site except that some few times it does not come up, just a bunch of codes.

We'll have a dedicated youtube button that'll make it easier to embed those. I haven't gotten a chance to play with that feature yet so I don't know any details.

Images should be similar to now with attachments. Its possible they may self embed them selves in a post but theres been some back and forth on how they should be displayed.

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 4/28/2011 6:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just registered. Terrific set up.
I did not see where to put in an avatar.

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/28/2011 9:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MDGeorge said...
I just registered. Terrific set up.
I did not see where to put in an avatar.

Go to the "My Profile" area and you'll see an image to the left and right below it, it says "Change Profile Image". Just browse for the image and then upload it. The myprofile area is also where you can edit your information and adjust your "display name" for the forums.

Be warned the mymoto system is still a little buggy. The forums should be a lot more dialed in with less bugs (hopefully smilewinkgrin )

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/28/2011 11:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately my handle is not accepted, to also neither is my e-mail yet I continually receive info from the m/c store with the famous blanked spots.  Also you have used my handle like on the board in the message to regulars on this board..

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 4/28/2011 1:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...
Unfortunately my handle is not accepted, to also neither is my e-mail yet I continually receive info from the m/c store with the famous blanked spots.  Also you have used my handle like on the board in the message to regulars on this board..

Have you registered for mymoto before?

Feel free to PM me to help get setup.

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 4/28/2011 4:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I registered for the new forum but when I clicked on the forum button, it sent me back here. I take it that this happened because it is not ready yet? (I know my registration worked b/c when I attempted to re-register, I was told that my username was taken.)

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter