Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Around the Campfire > A Finely Crafted American Classic  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

To The
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 454

Posted 12/9/2011 7:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has been sitting in the safe for a while. It was almost too pretty too shoot.....almost....I took it out today and put some holes in paper....

Shooter
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 45

Posted 12/25/2011 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man how I really like the bluing on the older Colts...

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/25/2011 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My father has the same gun. Black Beauty I believe he calls it.. Sharp.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/25/2011 1:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The way I look at it is the Colt Python is better with a glossy black rather then so many of them were chromed to the maximum.

Also since S&W has taken over the revolver sections with J, K, & L frames the Python is not that much in demand.

Though when you look at most police departments to the military the side-arm is a semi-auto.  Proof of the Colt 1911 45ACP to all the other makers.

I tought so many how to shoot with a S&W M17 .22LR rifle, for the safety, but slowly the Ruger of the Mk i, II or III have taken over even for beginners.

I noted in a sort of fun thing of using a .22 cal h/gun I was the only one with a Revolver while all the rest of the Range Officers had Ruger MK I, II or MK III,  It was only in my corner were they offered either the revolver or semi-auto.  So many seemed to want to pick up the S&W M 14 & do the cowboy single action of Drawing back the hammer with thier strong hand.  I had to teach & remind them that best to use the weak hand when drawing back the hammer or one could go Double Action though only one chap did the latter.

I must have turned down a 13 year old kid & his Mother saying "you are a bit to small"  finally I gave in & thoight he would use the Ruger MkII, but he went for the S&W Model 17 with target hammer, target trigger, to targget sights though with 6" bbl it was to much for him.  But I spent time guiding him & my gosh that kid shot darn well.  To where my signature, to also AMAZING SHOOTING.  

That kid really impressed me for amongst 13 year teeners he was small.  Though I was overly impressed & would like to have spent more time to help him in his shooting even if it wa my revolver, my ammo & would have also been my targets.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/5/2012 6:47:00 PM GMT

Wixxy
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 1080

Posted 12/28/2011 8:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That gun has a special place in my heart.

Prior to becoming a firefighter, I spent a year as a police officer. Our department was in the process of getting in an order of S&W 3906's (detectives) & 5906's (patrolmen), so they told the new guys they didn't need to buy their own weapon, as had happened in the past. Several of us didn't own weapons, myself included, so some of the older officers on the department agreed to let us borrow their weapons and duty leather. The other guys grabbed the semiautos and all that was left in the box was a nice, shiny black revolver, which I snagged. Nice black finish with black Pachmyer grips.
The night before graduation was the only time they allowed us to have weapons in the barracks, so that we could clean our weapons for the ceremony. I never could understand why guys kept stopping by and asking "they let you carry THAT on duty?" I didn't see the big deal, so I just shrugged it off. Not too long after I was out on the street doing training, we had a possible shooting downtown. We were closest, so when we stopped the vehicle, my partner took the driver out at gunpoint and instructed me to do the same with the passenger. I started pulling it out of the holster and it felt like the barrel kept going and going. Being a new guy fresh on the street, it felt like I was pulling a shotgun out of a holster....lol.

When the barrel came free of the holster and I drew down on the passenger and instructed him to get out slowly, all I could see was the whites of his eyes. Lol.

As much as I love semiautos, I'll never forget the few months I had with a Python at my hip.

'08 Ducati 848
'99 Ducati 750 SS (half converted to full)
'98 Nissan Pathfinder
'95 Dalmatian
'09 Pierce Enforcer "duh.....big red fire truck!"

Instructor for Accident Scene Management, Inc., an organization dedicated to teaching emergency first aid and other safety measures to motorcyclists. Ask me about it!

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 12/31/2011 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
VERY nice! She's a beauty! Also, great story Wixxy!

Here's my "classic" tho a bit modified. Yep, last day of the 100yr Anniversary of the model 1911.

So, has there been a "gun" thread on here? Shall we post up other photos and talk more of our firearms? Mark H.

My Ride Reports

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/2/2012 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why not Mark?

I do my Carpenter Bee hunting every Spring down here and have a blast doing so. I use a 22 MAG Pistol with snake-shots (shot shells).

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/5/2012 11:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Mark that is a lovely modified 45ACP I must agee with you.  I have on similiar wirh Nolan bbl, bevertail, mag well, probably the same sights with serrations looking more like a fish scale.

I felt I wanted to modify that or another one so ended up with STI slide with large serrations, beavertail, mag well, easy to release button, Bylon bbl, similiar checkering (though I would be pleased with stippling) & insead of 3.5 lbs trigger pull mine is 2.5 lbs.  Still it is set up for target shooting & not IPSC for all those with gun set-up for IPSC are with good Aim-point sights.

This is Canada so I never show my h/guns & same thing in never allowing one to take a photo or my kisser.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/5/2012 7:02:03 PM GMT