Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Around the Campfire > Holiday Projects  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/29/2011 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has been my busiest holiday season in a long time & it started with termite damage in October that required me to replace all the wood trim on the front of our house. Then in November we had a wind storm that took off part of my roof. Between fixing that, fixing up the house, decorating, Christmas shopping, training a newbie at work, building furniture and refinishing all the cabinets, I managed to go riding the Nomad once (once!) in the past month. I got in some skating, but not nearly enough considering. I did build a few new boards.

I did manage to lose 16 lbs since Nov 5th on this new diet & exercise program & I'm feeling tired & a bit overworked, but much healthier.

the roof:

the new boards:

Painting the Argyle Ocean

the Argyle Ocean before cutting wheelwells & re-painting:

The big Ulu wearing new Centrax wheels:

The Newb goes skating with us:

My young associate Smitty flies on the Argyle:

I skate over this bridge at lunch sessions:

The curio shelf I built for my wife:

Photo of all the boards in my shop, Christmas day 2011:

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 12/30/2011 6:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I'm not a Californian, I live in the snowy midwest, so I have a question. What's the deal with that roof?

It looks like you have a good portion of it done in terracotta, and then you have a portion that is good old asphalt shingles like we use here. What's up with that? It's my understanding that the terracotta is basically pottery, and as long as you don't get hit by a meteor or something and smash it it should last just about forever. So if you can have terracotta, why would you fuss about with flimsy asphalt shingles that will burn up in a few years?

You're a smart guy, and I'm sure you've got a reason. So what is it?

<<Congrats on the weight loss BTW. I'll attack mine again soon. What's the program?>>

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/30/2011 4:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a "service area" for the huge air conditioner on the backside of our roof.

Those shingles blew off, after being there way over 10 years, because we recently had the worst wind in 40 years.

There's usually not much wind out here.

The tile is actually cast from colored concrete and lasts forever if you don't crack it. It's also quite a bit lighter than the old-fashioned baked clay tiles.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/30/2011 7:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very nice!

My holiday project - moving!