Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Piaggio HyS Hybrid Scooter - First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 10/31/2007 1:47 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With eco-friendly two-wheeled concepts on the rise, Piaggio may beat everyone to the production punch with its HyS gas/electric hybrid scooters. Check out MotorcycleUSA's Piaggio HyS Hybrid Scooter - First Look

kavenger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 57

Posted 10/31/2007 9:28 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Just imagine if short-range urban commuters embraced the 140-mpg power of hybrid scooters. The impact would be sizable to say the least."
Well said. Excellent Article
Thanks

kavenger

ferrix
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 11

Posted 11/2/2007 12:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On behalf of short-range commuters (yes, I've been elected to speak for them) I would like to say this: Short range commuting is all about economy. As such, we will wholeheartedly embrace things like this hybrid MP3 when they start to make economical sense. In other words, when they are cheap as chips! Great fuel economy is of little use when all it does is offset the astronomical cost of initial purchase... MP3's three wheel system looks pretty neat, but this scooter is already pretty expensive. Add to this the cost of the hybrid system, and it will probably end up costing a fortune. You'd have to travel for several hundreds of thousands of miles before you'd start seeing any savings compared to the cost of running your average Kawasaki 250 Ninja.

That Ninja will offer more lively performance, as well. Extra 85% power of this hybrid system sounds great, but remember the MP3 is already really heavy for its little 250cc engine and its performance is barely adequate. This extra boost would be most welcome but unfortunately it didn't come for free - it is needed to haul the extra weight of batteries and assorted bits. So I doubt the hybrid version will perform any better than the petrol one...

Still, neat engineering and all that... keep working on it guys, but personally I'll wait a few more years before jumping on that bandwagon.

1KPerDay
The Avocado of Death

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 5481

Posted 11/6/2007 8:24 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am trying to talk my dad into an MP3 in place of his Gold Wing (he's 77 and has cancer, bad knees and hips, etc.)... is power on those adequate for touring or is it pretty much an around-town ride? Do you know when they're bringing the 450 MP3 here?

Ride to eat, eat to ride

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 11/6/2007 12:48 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1KPerDay said...
I am trying to talk my dad into an MP3 in place of his Gold Wing (he's 77 and has cancer, bad knees and hips, etc.)... is power on those adequate for touring or is it pretty much an around-town ride? Do you know when they're bringing the 450 MP3 here?

I have read that the Gilera Fuoco 500 will be available in the U.S. in 2008. It will be rebadged as a Piaggio which means it will probably carry the MP3 name just with a 500cc class motor. I've toured on a 250cc Reflex and had a blast doing it however I would think stepping down from a Gold Wing will be a major difference.

1KPerDay
The Avocado of Death

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 5481

Posted 11/6/2007 2:04 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks

Ride to eat, eat to ride

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/17/2007 11:37 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like scooters. I like that the popularity has slowly been on the rise... And I really like the idea of these hybrids... I really don't like that three wheel idea though.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."