Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Scooting Around on a Kymco Xciting 500 ...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

burton_wilkins
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/21/2007 7:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Friends:

You have an article on this site which entitled "Scooting Around on a Kymco Xciting 500"4/12/2007. Although interesting, the author lacks experience with this bike. If he knew more about this bike, he would not have a kind word for KYMCO or the Xciting 500.

<FONT face="Times New Roman">
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">When you buy a scooter or a bike, be sure that the bike has a warranty and the manufacturer will honor that warranty.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o:p> </o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">To put it bluntly, I got screwed by KYMCO and specifically by their Xciting 500 model.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The best specific advice I can give is never buy anything from KYMCO, whether a scooter or a motorcycle.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I purchased at a KYMCO Xciting 500 and I regret it greatly.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The engine blew up at 70 miles an hour while traveling in fast but heavy freeway traffic.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I got away with my life.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> But even worse, although the KYMCO advertises a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and the scooter itself was not even a year old, KYMCO renegged on the warranty and has not after many months either fixed or replaced the bike.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Before you even think of having anything to do with KYMCO, please visit this site http://www.xxuytrrerx.com and see the evidence for yourself.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">There are some who did not believe 9/11 took place.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> But when they saw the pictures, then they believed.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> You can't really show pictures on a forum, so I've placed them on this web site "http://www.xxxxjhfghfdx.com" so that you could see them and then I expect you will believe as well.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> This I have done for your benefit.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I wish I had seen such a site before deciding to buy a KYMCO.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> At any rate, this may now help someone.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Sincerely,<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Burt

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I have had to change these links as I'm not sure that MCUSA would not be liable should Kymco decide to sue you. If anybody really wants to know where the site is, I suggest Google.

Post Edited By Moderator (lionlady) : 11/12/2011 8:44:57 PM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/22/2007 7:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know a number of people with Kymco scooters, and they seem to be quite happy with them. It's a shame to hear you didn't seem to have their luck.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

burton_wilkins
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/23/2007 2:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, it is quite apparent that I received a lemon.

Sincerely,

Burton G. Wilkins

Post Edited By Moderator (Tros) : 10/3/2011 2:49:27 PM GMT

aogop
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 252

Posted 11/26/2007 8:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You have the right to sue in California with the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.

'06 DL1000

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 11/26/2007 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ya know. The web page states when the scooter 'blew up' but not when it was purchased, or how many miles were on it. It states that the owner changed the oil every month, but not whether it had had the important first dealer service - typically at around 500 to 600 miles. This is supposed to be the most important service for the dealer to perform, because they are supposed to go over the bike and check for any problems . . . such as loose bolts, etc.

Having had a late in the warranty "issue" crop up with the engine case, on my first BMW motorcycle, I know it can take more than a week for such a HUGE problem to be resolved/solved.

Initially, BMWNA wanted the shop to replace the engine case, not the whole engine. But that project would have required an unbelievable investment in special one time use tools, plus the training to use them. It required a lot of back and forth conversations, and a visit from a BMW rep. But, in the end... more than a month later, BMWNA agreed to send a replacement engine.

You started with an unrealistic expectation. It seems unfair to jump straight to this sort of blanket broadcast without trying some gentle persuasion first.

P

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery. 

Post Edited (lionlady) : 11/26/2007 10:44:28 PM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 11/27/2007 7:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What happened to your engine case?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 11/29/2007 6:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lionlady said...
Having had a late in the warranty "issue" crop up with the engine case, on my first BMW motorcycle, I know it can take more than a week for such a HUGE problem to be resolved/solved.

This isn't a problem at all providing they supply the consumer with an as like vehicle while they take their own sweet time. They will also be expected to extend the warranty for the period the bike is in the shop. Being nice may seem cool but the reality of it all is the manufacturer will protect themselves to the point it becomes a hurry up and wait game. If you do your own service and by the book, the service department will look for any related issue to deny the claim. You had better have receipts too.

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 12/1/2007 6:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No denying that the manufacturer is going to do all it can to NOT pay out. Having a reputable dealer to step in and argue the case is a huge factor in taking care of this.

It sounds like the dealer is washing his hands of the problem. The dealer is the screw up, here. And by going public so quickly he's pretty well sealed the issue against himself.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 12/5/2007 11:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunate experience and I am glad you survived the incident. However I have great difficulty with the credibility of your story. No doubt you have issue with KYMCO USA and your specific dealer and no doubt your bike had a catastrophic meltdown. Based upon my experiences I feel there is more to this story than is being shared.

I own one KYMCO and know many others with this brand of bike and reliability is not an issue. I have dealt with KYMCO USA directly and they have been immediately responsive and always helpful. I know of people who had service and warranty issues (not that many) with KYMCO products and all have been resolved.

As somebody else asked I am curious when you purchased your bike, when the incident occurred and how many miles you had accumulated by then.

I wish you luck in getting this resolved.

- wisart

dramsden
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/6/2007 1:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I noticed that you are posting this complaint on many scooter forums. I doubt you will have much luck on stopping people from buying Kymcos. I too am suspicious about many of the details of your story on your web site, you changed the oil monthly..Your web site leaves out many details. Perhaps you can let us know where your broken bike is located and who the technician is that is working on your bike.

Your story starts with you buying a Kymco 250cc bike from your dealer. You became alarmed that it would not go faster than 7OMPH and keep up with freeway traffic. I wonder if you were you driving this bike on the freeway during the time you were breaking-in the engine, I don't think the manual says to do that. And than you're mad because your dealer won't give you a fair trade in value, after driving it around for a few months. You could have sold it on Craigs list if you didn't like your dealers price. Dealers aren't making lots of money off of scooters.

I owned a Kymco Grand Vista 250. I ride my Grand Vista on the freeway often. It doesn't scare me a bit. Kymco has a very large following, because Kymco is such a reliable company. Great service with solid reliable bikes...

I very highly recommend Kymco to all my friends

Tmax Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 6

Posted 5/24/2008 1:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What a shame you've had that experience. Kymco bikes are popular here in asia and the xciting 500 is well spoken of...

Rick Clark
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/20/2011 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was thinking of buying a new Kymco 500RI I have been riding 2 wheeler for over 50 years and have had 30 plus of them.
Kymco in my town is very popular and the dealer is 12 miles away and I have not heard anything bad about them. I talked to the dealer and he said that the 2 year warranty is a good one. He has been there 7 years and plans on staying there.
I plan on doing some cross country riding from coast to coast next year.
I need to find a list of all the Kymco dealers in the states just in case I need one.
Good luck to everyone Rick

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/17/2011 4:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dramsden, has started off a good Post & in mind I was wondering if that scooter was properly broken in (yes all of us m/c riders MUST break in our power plants, but then as you notice Lion Lady was sort of saying the same thing.

If the cleamed 70mph when the power-plant failed I have to wonder what was the size of the engine & is 70mph with a solo rider on it sensible pace for it could not be. 

So some of us, though not scooter owners, have our questions when someone wants to take it out on this board for we have had the same in people ordering some protective riding gear or some part of a m/c from one of the many we get to know, but so often in such a case-----well not to smart a move other then bitching on our m/c & scooter board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 8/17/2011 4:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rick Clark said...
I was thinking of buying a new Kymco 500RI I have been riding 2 wheeler for over 50 years and have had 30 plus of them.
Kymco in my town is very popular and the dealer is 12 miles away and I have not heard anything bad about them. I talked to the dealer and he said that the 2 year warranty is a good one. He has been there 7 years and plans on staying there.
I plan on doing some cross country riding from coast to coast next year.
I need to find a list of all the Kymco dealers in the states just in case I need one.
Good luck to everyone Rick
Check out this link for a list of Kymco dealers in the US. Type in a zipcode and it'll get you any dealers in your area

Israeli_Boy
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 10

Posted 8/28/2011 3:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
burton_wilkins said...
Yes, it is quite apparent that I received a lemon.

Sincerely,

Burton G. Wilkins
www.KYMCOBUILDSBADBIKES.COM
I think you just had some really bad luck.. here in israel kymco is like any successfull/reliable japanese bike.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/12/2011 12:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Burton was stung on his scooter & is trying to warn others in North America.  Unfortunately that can even happen if one purchases a m/c.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.